PDA

View Full Version : Do We Need To SWEEP The Padres?

goreds2
09-12-2006, 12:06 PM
I think we do need to sweep the Padres. Not just because of them but we need to gain ground on the other three teams above us who are all playing teams below us in the wild card standings.

(Florida is playing the Mets though)

I am still not giving up on catching the Cardinals. ;)

durl
09-12-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't believe we have to sweep, but I do believe we have to take 2 games. There are too many teams ahead of us in the Wild Card race for us to not gain ground. The Reds can't play .500 ball and make the playoffs.

macro
09-12-2006, 12:37 PM
They don't have to sweep to stay alive. Two of three puts them 2.5 games out with almost three weeks to play. If they lose two of three, I think their chances of making the postseason are very, very slim. But what do I know? I counted them out after the West coast disaster, and now I'm back to being hopeful again.

BuckWoody
09-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Any realistic shot at a playoff spot has to start with a sweep in this series. They Reds really need to go on a tear without delay and it has to start with one of the teams in front of them.

cumberlandreds
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes,absolutely. No sweep and the season is basically over,IMO. Sweep them and you have renewed momentum and you never know what may happen. Narron should treat every game this series like the 7th game of the World Series. Using every pitcher and player available.

goreds2
09-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Yes,absolutely. No sweep and the season is basically over,IMO. Sweep them and you have renewed momentum and you never know what may happen. Narron should treat every game this series like the 7th game of the World Series. Using every pitcher and player available.

I totally agree with the 7th game of the World Series strategy. A BIG key is for us to get off to an EARLY lead each game.

macro
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
So, you guys are saying that if they're 2.5 games out with 16 or so games left to play that they're all but out of it?

redsfan30
09-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I agree 100% with you, Macro. I am as guilty as anyone as throwing dirt on this season after the west coast trip but I'm not sure things are as bad as we all think they are, especially if they can take 2 out of 3 against the Padres (or more).

2.5 games back with still two full weeks to go isn't at all impossible to make up.

GOREDSGO32
09-12-2006, 02:34 PM
So, you guys are saying that if they're 2.5 games out with 16 or so games left to play that they're all but out of it?

Um, thats 2.5 games behind the PADRES. There's still the Giants, the Phillies, and the Marlins above us - and if the Padres fall that doesn't mean that other teams won't take their place. Reds have to sweep to even stay in it right now, time is running out. Thank the road trip from hell and losing a series to the Giants right after for that. It's a Hail Mary at this point.

Roy Tucker
09-12-2006, 02:39 PM
I think to have a *real* chance they have to sweep. If they win 2 out of 3, they will have a pulse, but a feeble one.

The problem with the wild card is that they have to climb over 3 other teams to pass the Padres. So if the Reds beat SD, they will gain ground. The problem is, so will other winning wild card-chasing teams.

GOREDSGO32
09-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I should point out that since Florida is two games back of the Padres, if the Reds sweep the Padres, worst case scenerio, the Reds would be 1.5 out. If the Marlins lose during the series, the worst case is the Reds are 1 game back depending on Philly and SF.

This is a big big IF though, its going to be a major longshot for this team to pull off a sweep after the disgusting way they have shot the season to hell.

traderumor
09-12-2006, 02:54 PM
We probably need to go at least 13-6 in the last 19. I don't think it matters what order we win or lose them in, but seeing as San Diego has to stay at the same level for that record to matter, a series win is very important.

Joseph
09-12-2006, 03:17 PM
I think the answer is yes, if its ever been yes.

SirFelixCat
09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
2 out of 3 is a MUST. W/o that, put a fork in'em.

Newman4
09-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Yes, a sweep to stay in it. Also, I agree with the urgency. No screw off lineups to give guys "a rest". They'll be plenty of time for resting if they don't win in a hurry.

Ltlabner
09-12-2006, 03:54 PM
They might be able to live with 2 out of 3, but they are rapidly running out of time and they can't afford to keep giving up opportunities to gain ground...any ground.

A sweep is critical to any chance of being in this thing. 2 out of 3 prob will just be keeping the life support on but not really giving us a chance.

Reds Fanatic
09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
They need a sweep. The problem if we only win 2 of 3 to get 2 1/2 games back is the other teams between the Reds and Padres. If they were 2 1/2 back with no teams between them they might still have a chance especially with 9 games left against the Cubs and Pirates. But if we are still 2 1/2 games back the problem is I don't think the Reds will catch the Marlins who are playing so well now that if the Padres collapse the most likely team to win the WC is Florida.

Natty Redlocks
09-12-2006, 04:22 PM
We "needed" to sweep the Pirates. We "need" every win we can get. Honestly, I'm not worried as long as we still have 7 games left against the Magnificent Chicago Cubs.

joshnky
09-12-2006, 04:27 PM
They need a sweep. The problem if we only win 2 of 3 to get 2 1/2 games back is the other teams between the Reds and Padres. If they were 2 1/2 back with no teams between them they might still have a chance especially with 9 games left against the Cubs and Pirates. But if we are still 2 1/2 games back the problem is I don't think the Reds will catch the Marlins who are playing so well now that if the Padres collapse the most likely team to win the WC is Florida.

We still get to play 3 against Florida so we would control our own destiny with them. I'm just worried about Philly.

Red Rover
09-12-2006, 04:41 PM
We still get to play 3 against Florida so we would control our own destiny with them. I'm just worried about Philly.

Not only 3 with the Reds, but 6 with the Mets & 6 with the Phillys. I'm not worried about Florida or Philly, it's SD who has the easiest schedule along with the Reds.

Falls City Beer
09-12-2006, 05:35 PM
I think 15-4 gets the Reds in the playoffs. I don't think they'll approach that record.

CaiGuy
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
We don't, but the Reds do.;)

Newport Red
09-12-2006, 06:40 PM
The Reds cannot afford to lose a series from here on out.

goreds2
09-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Tonight on the pregame show, Jerry Narron stated he is concentrating on the division title. He kind of makes sense (no jokes please).

Would you rather be in 5th place trailing by 3.5 games

or

be in second place trailing by 5 games.

Is the game and a half worth the trade off? :confused:

goreds2
09-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Thats ONE! Reds win 5-4!

ol'Sparky
09-12-2006, 10:56 PM
:beerme:

Redhook
09-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Tonight on the pregame show, Jerry Narron stated he is concentrating on the division title. He kind of makes sense (no jokes please).

Would you rather be in 5th place trailing by 3.5 games

or

be in second place trailing by 5 games.

Is the game and a half worth the trade off? :confused:

It doesn't make sense to me. How is concentrating on the division going to help anything? The division is in the Cardinals hands. They can play average the rest of the way and easily win the division, especially since we don't play them anymore.

As for the wild card, we have a better chance on winning that solely based on the fact that we are less games out.

Concentrating on winning either the division or the wild card makes no sense. Winning as many games as possible and seeing how that stacks up at the end of the season makes perfect sense to me.

goreds2
09-12-2006, 11:18 PM
It doesn't make sense to me. How is concentrating on the division going to help anything? The division is in the Cardinals hands. They can play average the rest of the way and easily win the division, especially since we don't play them anymore.

As for the wild card, we have a better chance on winning that solely based on the fact that we are less games out.

Concentrating on winning either the division or the wild card makes no sense. Winning as many games as possible and seeing how that stacks up at the end of the season makes perfect sense to me.

That makes perfect sense. "Just win baby"

BigREDSfaninKY
09-13-2006, 01:29 AM
I can see Narron's logic in this, the Reds sit behind the Pads, Marlins (who the Reds have 3 games left with BTW), Phillies and Giants. That's 4 teams you hope lose so you can leap frog into the wildcard lead. That's a bit of a stretch, but I guess so is asking the Cards to lose. While that isn't out of the question with the way St Louis has been playing of late. Anyone know who the Cards have left on their schedule?

Tornon
09-13-2006, 04:31 AM
The Cardinals have

5 with Houston
3 with San Francisco
3 with San Diego
& 7 with Milwaukee

HalMorrisfan77
09-13-2006, 09:03 AM
YES....Play good baseball for 3 days in a row and sweep 'em. It is an ABSOLUTE MUST!!! With 4 teams ahead of them, they arent in a position to lose many games.

membengal
09-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Any realistic shot at a playoff spot has to start with a sweep in this series. They Reds really need to go on a tear without delay and it has to start with one of the teams in front of them.

100% on point.

GridironGrace
09-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Im not so sure a SWEEP is a MUST.

However, a Sweep would be AWESOME, and its what we REALLY need. We can aford to take 2/3 here.

You'll see why 2nite when i make the post im gonna make on remaining schedules for all these teams. I got them all entered in a spread and Prolly gonna make the post either 2nite or friday after the games when theres TEN games left...

MaineRed
09-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Some interesting tidbits about the schedule:

After tommorow the Reds only have one series left at home. The rest of the games are on the road.

The Padres head to LA to take on the Dodgers for four this weekend and they finish with 3 in St Louis and then 4 in Arizona.

On top of those games with the Reds, the Marlins still have 4 at the Mets, 6 with the Phillies and 3 at Atlanta which actually kicks off a ten game road trip starting Friday.

The Phillies who are currently in Atlanta, waiting to start a doubleheader head to Houston next. They still have 4 with the Astros and those six with the Marlins.

The Giants are the scary one. They are 19-8 in their last 27. But the schedule is still not a cakewalk. They too head on the road for ten after their current series against the Rox. At St Louis, Colorado and Milwaukee. They finish the season against the Dodgers.

Teams are going to beat the snot out of one another. Will be interesting to see who gets hot and wins it. I'd like to see Griffey back swining a bat soon.

Chip R
09-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I think all this talk about concentrating on the division or concentrating on the wild card is a bunch of hooey. I really hope Narron or anyone else doesn't actually believe that. The truth is that the Reds can't control what happens to other teams, they can only control what happens to them. Everything else is out of their hands. What they need to concentrate on is winning. If they keep winning, the rest takes care of itself.

Natty Redlocks
09-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I think all this talk about concentrating on the division or concentrating on the wild card is a bunch of hooey. I really hope Narron or anyone else doesn't actually believe that. The truth is that the Reds can't control what happens to other teams, they can only control what happens to them. Everything else is out of their hands. What they need to concentrate on is winning. If they keep winning, the rest takes care of itself.

Amen brother

goreds2
09-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Well, the SWEEP is not happening. If we don't win on Thursday.......(I am not going to say it)

macro
09-14-2006, 12:53 AM
I think I have moved to the other side, and agree with those who said the Reds had to have the sweep. Too many teams, too big a deficit, and to few games left. Let's start looking forward to April 2007.

machineguy
09-14-2006, 01:22 AM
It looks to be over now. Tomorrow if the Reds lose it is over for sure. Hard to believe that they got drilled the way they did tonight.

BigREDSfaninKY
09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
It looks to be over now. Tomorrow if the Reds lose it is over for sure. Hard to believe that they got drilled the way they did tonight.

It shouldn't be that hard to believe, look at the way they've been hitting the ball (or lack there of) lately. On top of that, Peavy dominating the Reds again like he did in San Diego 2 weeks ago. This is a piss poor hitting ball club.