View Full Version : Chris Henry resolves gun charge

Reds4Life
01-30-2006, 07:13 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2006/local/01/30/henry.html

Reported by: 9News
Web produced by: Mark Sickmiller
Photographed by: 9News
First posted: 1/30/2006 5:36:21 PM

A month after he was picked up on a drug charge in Covington, Bengals rookie wide receiver Chris Henry has been arrested again, this time in Orlando, Florida, police tell 9News.

In this latest incident, Henry is charged with:

-Possession of a concealed firearm
-Improper exhibition of a firearm
-Aggravated assault with a firearm

According to an Orange County police report, Henry, 22, was with a group of people along a street along West Central Boulevard in Orlando early Saturday morning.

Henry's group was apparently arguing with another nearby group, and it looked like a fight was going to erupt, a police officer said.

He had stopped when he noticed a limo blocking traffic, according to the police report.

The officer says he told the groups to break it up, then saw Chris Henry pull a handgun from his waist area and point it at the other group.

When ordered to put the gun down, Henry froze and then moved toward the limo and threw the gun inside the car, the report stated.

The officer says he then grabbed Henry, pushed him to the ground and ordered everyone out of the limo.

Police recovered a 9mm Luger from the back of the limo. Henry denied having the weapon, police said.

As of 5:30 p.m. Monday, the Bengals had not released a statement about the arrest.

Henry's December arrest

In the early morning of December 15, 2005, Covington Police stopped Henry for speeding and smelled marijuana in his car.

Henry agreed to a body and vehicle search and that's when police found two baggies of marijuana in his left shoe.

Through his lawyer, Henry pleaded guilty Thursday to speeding and improper registration. Charges that he had no driver's license and insurance were dropped.

The drug charges against him are still pending.

Pretty serious charges, gotta wonder if the Bengals will cut him loose.

Redsland
01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
They'll drop him like a pass in the end zone. Appropriately enough.

Chip R
01-30-2006, 07:27 PM
They'll drop him like a pass in the end zone. Appropriately enough.

I doubt it. He's got talent. Those guys they keep even with baggage. If it were someone like Kelly Washington, he'd be out of there like a shot.

Reds4Life
01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
I doubt it. He's got talent. Those guys they keep even with baggage. If it were someone like Kelly Washington, he'd be out of there like a shot.

Aggravated assault with a firearm is a felony, if he's conviced he'll be spending some time in the gray bar motel. A cop witnessed the whole thing, not good for Mr. Henry.

CTA513
01-30-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2006/local/01/30/henry.html

Pretty serious charges, gotta wonder if the Bengals will cut him loose.

I think they will probably wait to find out if he gets found guilty of the charges or not.... if he does get found guilty, I hope they do kick him off the team.

reds1869
01-30-2006, 07:33 PM
If ML doesn't cut Henry I'll lose a lot of respect for him. Talk is all well and good, actions are better. I'm inclined to say he'll be gone; whether he is guilty or not he repeatedly puts himself in bad situations that are a headache for the entire organization.

Playadlc
01-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Henry will not be cut. As sad as it is, he will be on the opening day roster next season.

Yachtzee
01-30-2006, 07:39 PM
If you're running with a crowd where you feel the need to carry a gun when you leave the house, you're running with the wrong crowd. Henry needs to decide whether he wants to be a gangster or a professional football player.

Chip R
01-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I think they will probably wait to find out if he gets found guilty of the charges or not.... if he does get found guilty, I hope they do kick him off the team.

Exactly. He could plea to a misdemeanor or even get the charges dropped.

reds1869
01-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Exactly. He could plea to a misdemeanor or even get the charges dropped.

True enough, but unless the officer is lying Henry still pulled a gun--a luger, not a pellet gun--on a crowd of people. Not the type of person I want to employ, regardless of talent level.

RedFanAlways1966
01-30-2006, 07:52 PM
The first arrest... speeding w/out a license or proper tags (or something) while carrying mary-jane. I think we all understood that was pretty stupid. I think most thought a 22-year-old like Chris Henry should be given another chance. I think most HOPED he learned a valuable lesson. Surely he might learn something and not be as stupid in the future?

Well, folks... he seemed to get dumber. Now he is carrying a gun and pointing it at people. A great way to either get charged w/ attempted-murder or murder... or get yourself killed. And it is all witnessed by a policeman. Uh... stupid. This a mere month-and-a-half after his first arrest. He makes Tremain Mack look like a teddy bear. This guy is Trouble with a capital "T" and a dummy at that. Drugs and guns. What is next... murder or getting murdered?

He was a great #3 WR for the Bengals and only a rookie this year. But as a diehard Bengals fan I hope they send him packing if he is found guilty. You should not get more than one chance. Esp. when the 2nd one happens 1-1/2 months after the 1st.

Chris Henry, you are a weak mind... goodbye!

CTA513
01-30-2006, 07:54 PM
True enough, but unless the officer is lying Henry still pulled a gun--a luger, not a pellet gun--on a crowd of people. Not the type of person I want to employ, regardless of talent level.

The cop also said there was a group of people with Henry and that one of them or some of them tried to get back in the limo before the cop recovered the gun.

Reds Fanatic
01-30-2006, 08:12 PM
I hope the Bengals cut him loose. He has talent on the football field but this kid is way more trouble than he is worth. He had problems in college now within one year 2 arrests. I have feeling it is just going to get worse with him. It is not worth it having a player on your team you can't count on to stay out of trouble.

Hap
01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
If you're running with a crowd where you feel the need to carry a gun when you leave the house, you're running with the wrong crowd. Henry needs to decide whether he wants to be a gangster or a professional football player.

You sound just like the GM in Playmakers.

RedFanAlways1966
01-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Just heard on WLW that the gun is a stolen gun.

Reds4Life
01-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Just heard on WLW that the gun is a stolen gun.

If it was stolen from another state Mr. Henry just bought himself a federal firearms charge.

KittyDuran
01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Everything seems to happen in either Kentucky or Florida (well, at least with Henry and Freel)...:p:

paintmered
01-30-2006, 09:41 PM
If it was stolen from another state Mr. Henry just bought himself a federal firearms charge.

And another 10 years in the slammer.

Sad to see another talented athlete throw it all away.

remdog
01-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Cut Henry loose and call PW to see how he's feeling.

Rem

WMR
01-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Jeez. Very disappointing.

Redsland
01-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Talent?

He had enough talent to get open, but not enough desire to make the catch. Long on talent, short on heart. Hit him in the numbers in the end zone and he drops it. TJ goes down for two weeks, and the deep ball disappears because Henry can't convince anyone he's a threat. Trying to drive late with the clock winding down, and he runs a post instead of an out. Drop one a half-step in front of him on a fly pattern in a game that means something, and he barely sticks an arm out. Unsportsmanlike conduct for taking his freaking helmet off. False starts, for cripes sake.

Sure, he's young, Sure, he's a rookie. But the guy never improved. Heck, half the stuff I mentioned happened down the stretch. He's the Bengals' Wily Mo Pena.

Even if he skates, the Bengals have to let him walk. To save face now, and to prevent black eyes later.

flyer85
01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
if the Bengals are smart it will be ... good riddance

TeamBoone
01-30-2006, 11:17 PM
According to the 11 o'clock local news, the gun was stolen in Tampa last month. Per the officer, he came "this close" to shooting Henry.... he pulled the gun out of his waistband and leveled it toward someone in the crowd, which is the only reason the officer did not shoot. Instead of shooting, Henry then threw the gun into the limo.

He's in big trouble, plus he still has the unresolved drug charge hanging over his head.

For the life of me, I don't understand how a guy with so much going for him would resort to this.

Reds Fanatic
01-30-2006, 11:35 PM
I was just reading Florida has an automatic 10-20-life law when it comes to gun offenses if they consider this tied in with a felony.

If you possess a gun while committing a felony it is an automatic 10 year sentence.
If you point a gun while committing a felony it is an automatic 20 year sentence.
You get a life sentence by discharging a gun in comitting a felony.

It depends how a prosecutor rules on this but if they consider any of this a felony charge he could going to jail for a very long time.

Crosley68
01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
This comes as no surprise to anyone who follows WVU sports. He was suspended twice his last year with the Mountaineers and left school early when Coach Rod told him he wouldnt play in Morgantown again. Very immature and undisciplined. But............he is talented, and someone somewhere will always risk the embarrassment he will eventually bring to their program.

deltachi8
01-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Sadly, this guy has just been trouble for too long. If I were a Bengal fan, I wouldnt want him near my team. Part of me admires Marvin for trying to help the kid, bringing him in and hopefully helping him get it right. However, there comes a time, and with this type of behavior that time comes very soon, where the best thing for you team, the game and Chris Henry is to send him packing.

Whats worse is that if he isn't in Jail, he will be playing somewhere next year. Too many are willing to look the other way for talent.

Johnny Footstool
01-31-2006, 09:44 AM
It must have been fairly easy to identify him, since he was reportedly wearing HIS OWN BENGALS JERSEY!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

HENRY IN VERY HOT WATER

Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com explains that the arrest of receiver Chris Henry on multiple weapons charges could expose him to a suspension, given that the arrest occurred while Henry already was in the league's substance abuse program by virtue of his December 2005 arrest for marijuana possession.

It could be the least of Henry's problems.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor faces similar charges in Florida, but his chances of an acquittal are significant. It will be hard for a jury to find proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, given that the prosecution's evidence comes from guys who allegedly had stolen Taylor's ATV. With the key witnesses at odds over the question of whether Taylor pointed a gun, the jury easily could throw up its collective hands and let Taylor walk.

In contrast, Henry was caught red-handed by . . . a cop. Unless the defense can make the whole Mark Fuhrman thing stick, it's highly unlikely that the juror will disregard the officer's sworn account, which likely will be corroborated by members of the group at whom the gun allegedly was pointed -- or by some of the people who were with Henry. Indeed, the official police report indicates that one of the members of Henry's group told police that "Henry had the firearm because they came to the [nearby] club last week and had problems."

Meanwhile, it turns out that the one fact we regarded as conclusive proof that the story was bogus when it was handed to us on Sunday morning turns out to be accurate. In an e-mail, the tipster told us: "Chris Henry arrested in Orlando for possession of a stolen handgun. He was about to point it at someone but was arrested at gunpoint before doing so. He was wearing his Bengal jersey while doing so."

Wearing his Bengal jersey? Riiiiiiiiight.

Um. Take a gander at his mugshot, courtesy of WCPO:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/HenryMugshot.jpg

Looks like a Bengals jersey to us. So unless it was a Bob Trumpy throwback or something, our guess is that Chris was honoring himself on the same night that he likely ruined his career, and perhaps his life.

traderumor
01-31-2006, 09:44 AM
According to the 11 o'clock local news, the gun was stolen in Tampa last month. Per the officer, he came "this close" to shooting Henry.... he pulled the gun out of his waistband and leveled it toward someone in the crowd, which is the only reason the officer did not shoot. Instead of shooting, Henry then threw the gun into the limo.

He's in big trouble, plus he still has the unresolved drug charge hanging over his head.

For the life of me, I don't understand how a guy with so much going for him would resort to this.

Jails are full of guys who had a lot going for them. And a six figure salary doesn't exactly build character in a lot of folks, it usually detracts from it. Add a lot of money to poor character and you have a disaster waiting to happen. It appears that this is a win some (Thurman) and you lose some (Henry) when drafting folks with questionable characters based on behavior in college. And being able to predict which one would make anyone a rich man or woman.

GAC
01-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Cut Henry loose and call PW to see how he's feeling.

Rem

He's getting ready to play in his first Super Bowl w/ Seattle. ;)

TeamBoone
01-31-2006, 10:27 AM
If convicted, I don't think he should playing in the NFL next year, or ever. Not only should the Bengals can him, but he should be kicked out of the NFL.

deltachi8
01-31-2006, 11:40 AM
If convicted, I don't think he should playing in the NFL next year, or ever. Not only should the Bengals can him, but he should be kicked out of the NFL.

Its the NFL, if Rae Carruth (sp?) was released form the pen tommorrow, he would be working out for someone by March.

Leonard Little keeps geting a paycheck...

wolfboy
01-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Its the NFL, if Rae Carruth (sp?) was released form the pen tommorrow, he would be working out for someone by March.

Leonard Little keeps geting a paycheck...

Same goes for Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis, two guys that Marvin Lewis knows well. Randy Moss was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, but ended up with a couple of slap on the wrist misdemeanor charges. Leonard Little was able to plead his drunken, fatal accident with another motorist down to 60 days in jail. I'm not sure that Henry will be able to wiggle his way out of this one, but I won't be shocked if he does. Assault with a deadly weapon, murder, homicide, federal drug trafficking and a laundry list of other infractions haven't been enough to keep NFL players down in the past.

remdog
01-31-2006, 12:45 PM
He's getting ready to play in his first Super Bowl w/ Seattle. ;)

Well then, I'd guess he's feeling pretty good. :laugh:

Rem

flyer85
01-31-2006, 12:50 PM
For the life of me, I don't understand how a guy with so much going for him would resort to this.because he is what he is ... a thug.

TeamBoone
01-31-2006, 01:29 PM
But this is attempted murder!

Danny Serafini
01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
It's not attempted murder until you actually pull the trigger.

StillFunkyB
01-31-2006, 02:04 PM

You point a gun at someone, it SHOULD be attempted murder.

Be gone with him. If Marvin lets this slide, I too will lose some respect for him. I don't think ML will have to do anything, me thinks he is going to jail.

Chip R
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM

Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry? ;)

WMR
01-31-2006, 03:17 PM
If you shoot at someone and miss, and your intent was to kill them, that's attempted murder.

Pointing a gun without firing it is not attempted murder.

If you pull the trigger with intent to kill and the gun jams, you can still be charged w/ attempted murder.

Matt700wlw
01-31-2006, 03:30 PM
You point a gun at someone, it SHOULD be attempted murder.

Then arrest the cop! :D

KittyDuran
01-31-2006, 03:35 PM
Cincinnati radio is having a field day with this. Burbank on WLW just did a combination of "The Reds and the Restless" and "All My Bengals". "The Reds and the Restless" was only RCast calling in asking why O'Brien was still there with O'Brien saying that he was Mapquesting the route to his office for the movers. :evil: Then there was a commercial for a new show "Miami Twice" starring Henry as Rico and Freel as Sonny.:beerme:

Hap
01-31-2006, 04:13 PM
because he is what he is ... a thug.

as is allen iverson

WVRed
01-31-2006, 09:44 PM
I heard that Chad Johnson found out today about Chris Henry when he called into Howard Stern. Any truth to this? (I'm looking at you Puffy):evil:

Matt700wlw
03-03-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5108

max venable
03-03-2006, 05:23 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again. Dude's a complete moron. Way to go Henry...throw away a shot at greatness. :thumbdown

Dom Heffner
03-03-2006, 07:32 PM
And once again, it all happened where? In Florida.

The sun does something to people down here, I tell ya.

WMR
03-04-2006, 12:25 PM
I wonder if the Bengals will keep him... if he does jail time, he's definitely cut, right? I wonder how Marvin will handle the situation if he avoids going to jail?

WMR
09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Henry resolves gun charge
By GEOFF HOBSON
September 12, 2006

Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry pleaded guilty Tuesday to possession of a concealed firearm in Orlando, Fla., and after serving a day in the Orange County Jail it looks like he may not face an NFL suspension in the gray area of league policy. But if he violates any of the terms of the probation, he’ll go to jail.

Since the NFL treats alcohol and drug matters differently than personal conduct, the weapons plea isn’t treated in the same category as the guilty plea he had earlier this year for marijuana possession.

According to papers from the Ninth Judicial Circuit in Orange County, Henry has been sentenced to a two-year probation period in which he can’t consume alcohol while completing 10 hours per month of community service adding up to 100 hours. He may travel to games, but must first get approval.

The official sentenciong is adjudication of the third-degree felony, which means if he completes the probabtion the guilty plea will be expunged from his record.

When asked if the club had a response to Tuesday’s events in Orlando, Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan said, “The Bengals respect the decision of the court. Chris has admitted his mistake and has pledged his resolve to learn from it.”

Henry, 23, arrested four times since Dec. 15, was booked on three felonies after waving a Luger at a group of people in a late-night incident in Orlando. He was later charged with one possession of a concealed firearm.

There is gray area because of the NFL's two different policies governing drug and alcohol and player conduct. The player conduct policy says if a player admits guilt to two criminal violations, he'll be suspended without pay. If he admits guilt in a pending DUI case, set to be heard Oct. 19, in Clermont County, he’s likely looking at what has traditionally been a fine

According to an Associated Press story, Henry said outside the court, "I'd like to say I know I made a mistake, but I'm just trying to, you know what I'm saying, turn all of this into a positive. I just want to get back to playing football. It's what I do."

Henry started last Sunday in place of injured T.J. Houshmandzadeh and had one catch for minus-five yards.

RedFanAlways1966
09-13-2006, 08:07 AM
<note> I am a big Bengals fan...

If you point (wave?) a gun a group of people with malice, then you should spend some time in jail. Not 1 day... at least 1 month. This kind of crap in our society needs to be punished. Not much of a detriment to people who may consider carrying a concealed weapon illegally and plan on pointing it at someone or a group who they do not like.

Color me disappointed w/ the court's decision. 1st gun offense or not. :angry:

Ltlabner
09-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Maybe one of our laywer friends can look up the "normal" sentence one would receive for waving a gun around in public, being in posession of stolen property, failure to follow police personell instructions, etc.

In other words, what would hapen to one of us normal people if we did the same thing?

dabvu2498
09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Maybe one of our laywer friends can look up the "normal" sentence one would receive for waving a gun around in public, being in posession of stolen property, failure to follow police personell instructions, etc.

In other words, what would hapen to one of us normal people if we did the same thing?

Don't look at what he allegedly "did." Look at what he plead guilty to. Third degree felony... hard to tell exactly how that equates to Ohio's statutes, but a 3rd degree felony for a first time offender in Southwest Ohio, I'd say it's 75/25 that you'd do at least 6 months in jail, 50/50 that you'd do a year in prison. The key factor being what judge you "draw."