PDA

View Full Version : 1999 bullpen

cincrazy
09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Watching the Twins yesterday on ESPN, I got a rare chance to watch Dennys Reyes since he left the Reds. And that got me to thinking about the 1999 Reds bullpen. Who would have ever thought, that 8 years later, Ron Villone and Dennys Reyes would still be pitching well, arguably BETTER, than they were then, and the likes of Williamson, Graves and Sullivan would be all but non-factors? I guess if I would have given it some thought at the time, with as much as we used the other three, it wouldn't have been too hard to fathom. But Villone and Reyes were probably the two that I had the least confidence in then (shows how strong that pen was) yet they're the two I would take on this team in a heartbeat now.

Edd Roush
09-14-2006, 08:37 PM
My dad and I were always huge Ron Villone fans. My dad even gave him the nickname of "Bulldog." My dad just loved the way Ron Villone attacked batters and we always reminisce in the game that Ron Villone beat Randy Johnson 1-0 at Cinergy.

BTW Ron Villone is a great guy and when my brother, my dad and I went to a game in Turner 5 or 6 years back, Ron took a picture with the three of us. Really, really good guy.

But, as I have said in other posts, no one is a better guy than Scott Sullivan, NO ONE.

Edit: It was 2-0 at Cinergy on June 30th, 1999. "Bulldog" pitched 8 innings of one hit ball to help the Reds to the 9th win in a row.

westofyou
09-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Who would have ever thought, that 8 years later, Ron Villone and Dennys Reyes would still be pitching well, arguably BETTER, than they were then, and the likes of Williamson, Graves and Sullivan would be all but non-factors?

I would have, Sullivan and Graves were number 1 and 2 in IP for NL from 1999-2001 with 323. 1 and 282.1