PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread 9/18/06 Houston We Have...

goreds2
09-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Just a WIN guys.

Playing for pride.....MAYBE.

R Freel CF
B Phillips 2b
A Dunn LF
R Aurilia SS
S Hatteberg 1B
E Encarnacion 3B
D Ross C
C Denorfia RF
K Lohse P
Houston Astros

C Biggio 2B
M Lamb 3B
L Berkman 1B
L Scott LF
A Huff RF
C Burke CF
A Everett SS
B Ausmus C
R Oswalt P

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Wow, one game thread post.

Ouch. Checking the Bengals' injured list I suppose?

goreds2
09-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Wow, one game thread post.

Ouch. Checking the Bengals' injured list I suppose?

Do I get some REP points for starting it? :laugh: :D

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Do I get any cred from all those people who say I "hate" the Reds and am not a "real" fan because I criticize their front office when I detect ineptitude?

I'm here. Where are all the "real" real fans?

Matt700wlw
09-18-2006, 08:35 PM
I think the Steelers vs Jags is getting more attention.

That's on my main TV....Reds are on another TV, and I'll peek at it if I so desire...if I hear something worth watching (the one plus of a delay between the radio and DirectTV)

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I think the Steelers vs Jags is getting more attention.

That's on my main TV....Reds are on another TV, and I'll peek at it if I so desire...if I hear something worth watching (the one plus of a delay between the radio and DirectTV)

Football sucks goat crap.

See. This is why I get ticked off at this FO. I got nothing to watch sports-wise till my Louisville Cardinals start their basketball season. That's what makes the Reds' failures year after year after year after year so brutal.

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Incidentally, I told y'all so about Lohse.

MrCinatit
09-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Ah, Jerry seems rather disinterested in the game. Why should the fans :p:

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Dude, I can't deal with this ass-Lancelot Lohse.

See ya tomorrow.

Matt700wlw
Guess I won't be peeking at this game...

Matt700wlw

You want a prize?

He certainly came crashing down...He didn't just fall back to earth....he jumped out of an airplane without a parachute...

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 08:47 PM
You must be proud.

He certainly came crashing down...

Not proud. Just don't wish to be spat upon in the future for calling it on the level.

Razor Shines

That's so funny, I wasn't on the website but watching Lohse start his fire this inning, I thought FCB is saying exactly what you said. Anyway I guess you were right I disagreed with you for a while but he looks like he's missing something in the mental aspect.

goreds2
UGLY already....4-0 Houston.

WVRedsFan
Hey FCB...

When you acquire junk, you get junk. They all come up and have a good first appearance (except Magic) and everyone says they are the next world beater. Then you see why the ERA with the former team was 7.85--just like tonight. One of the worst offensive teams in the NL score 4 in the 2nd why our superstar (Deno) hits into a double play. The Reds ae doomed.

Heath
Do I get any cred from all those people who say I "hate" the Reds and am not a "real" fan because I criticize their front office when I detect ineptitude?

I'm here, but I have kids to put to bed, stories to read, a wife to chat with and other household duties to put to rest before I can concentrate on a baseball game.

I'm so glad that I am a real fan. :rolleyes:

Also, it must pain you to be so right all the time, FCB. I don't know how you can live with yourself. :D

Tom Servo
09-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Not like it matters at this point with Lohse. He pitched well back in August when it mattered, and we managed to not win those games.

WVRedsFan
Gosh, this place is brutal nowadays...:eek: :eek:

Falls City Beer
I'm here, but I have kids to put to bed, stories to read, a wife to chat with and other household duties to put to rest before I can concentrate on a baseball game.

I'm so glad that I am a real fan. :rolleyes:

Also, it must pain you to be so right all the time, FCB. I don't know how you can live with yourself. :D

Just go easy on the personal attacks in the future. That's all I'm saying. If you disagree with me, fine. But don't say I don't know what I'm talking about.

pahster
Denorfia actually hit that ball pretty well. Unfortunately, Everett is a great fielder and made a pretty good play.

Heath
09-18-2006, 08:50 PM
14 members and 0 guests.

Yep, it's September.

Can you believe that 30 days ago, this team was in a pennant race. It was a flawed team in a down year league wise, but it was in a pennant race.

Kc61
09-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Hey FCB...

When you acquire junk, you get junk. They all come up and have a good first appearance (except Magic) and everyone says they are the next world beater. Then you see why the ERA with the former team was 7.85--just like tonight. One of the worst offensive teams in the NL score 4 in the 2nd why our superstar (Deno) hits into a double play. The Reds ae doomed.

Deno hit the ball sharply up the middle, great play by Everett. Should have been a hit. Of course ground balls with men on first and third are not optimal.

This is really almost impossible to watch.

Heath
09-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Just go easy on the personal attacks in the future. That's all I'm saying. If you disagree with me, fine. But don't say I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll hatchet bury if you will, but sometimes you need to give people the opportunity to express their opinions in their way. You don't have to be right all the time you know. It gets boring. :D

Matt700wlw
09-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Not proud. Just don't wish to be spat upon in the future for calling it on the level.

I had his back when he had pitched well and deserved not to be ripped....

Well, now he deserves to be ripped. Rip away, rip away.

Heath
09-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Where's Tornon for the PBP of this one?

:D

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Watching this team collapse time and time again is almost certainly shortening my life. It is painful. No lie. Losing is the absolute worst thing on earth.

Heath
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
I had his back when he had pitched well and deserved not to be ripped....

Well, now he deserves to be ripped. Rip away, rip away.

And that's the other thing, FCB. There has to be some balance of sheer fan and sheer narcissism. I'll admit sometimes there are people who bring up fantastic points and there are some that are plain headscratchers.

Sure it might not be the answers you are looking for or even your opinion - but you don't have to dismiss the sentence with the wave of your hand.

Respect people and they'll respect you.

oneupper
09-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi folks. Thought I'd stop by.
Reds losing again. Oh well...

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 08:59 PM
And that's the other thing, FCB. There has to be some balance of sheer fan and sheer narcissism. I'll admit sometimes there are people who bring up fantastic points and there are some that are plain headscratchers.

Sure it might not be the answers you are looking for or even your opinion - but you don't have to dismiss the sentence with the wave of your hand.

Respect people and they'll respect you.

I'm combative, admittedly, but I avoid personal insults against other posters. I really make an honest effort to do that.

Joseph
09-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Its on TV and I'm watching 'How I met Your Mother' if that tells you anything.

goreds2
09-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Below my USER NAME it says "Contend in September....Please?" The only exciting thing that happened was LaRue's extra inning HR against the Padres. :cry:

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Watching this team collapse time and time again is almost certainly shortening my life. It is painful. No lie. Losing is the absolute worst thing on earth.

Maybe you need a hobby. Coin Collecting. Crochet. Putting Ships in those bottles. Blacksmithing.

Yeah, losing sucks. Losing for 6 years in a row sucks. I'll agree with you there. But i'm a glass-half-full guy. Maybe it's naiveity. Maybe I enjoy the history of the sport, and I enjoy the past more. Maybe because my dad and I enjoy it together. It's might sound hokey and very midwestern-1950's like, but its still a game and its the Reds and its going to the park and all that mumbo-jumbo.

You live in a town of monumental collapse and continued mediocrity. Think of those Phillie fans, who really aren't any closer than the Reds have. And they have TWO World Series Winners 65 years apart.

Tom Servo
09-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Everytime I come close to getting over the heartbreak of the season I remember Castellini's letter to the players before the west coast swing and that really depresses me.

Please open up your wallet this off season Mr.Castellini and make the Reds real NL contenders in 07.

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Maybe you need a hobby. Coin Collecting. Crochet. Putting Ships in those bottles. Blacksmithing.

Yeah, losing sucks. Losing for 6 years in a row sucks. I'll agree with you there. But i'm a glass-half-full guy. Maybe it's naiveity. Maybe I enjoy the history of the sport, and I enjoy the past more. Maybe because my dad and I enjoy it together. It's might sound hokey and very midwestern-1950's like, but its still a game and its the Reds and its going to the park and all that mumbo-jumbo.

You live in a town of monumental collapse and continued mediocrity. Think of those Phillie fans, who really aren't any closer than the Reds have. And they have TWO World Series Winners 65 years apart.

Trust me, I have a full life. Hobbies, family, avocation, career. The whole bit. But I love my Reds.

And Philly is my home, but not my psychological/sports home. The sports fans here earn their filthy stripes. I don't truck with them, and I genuinely don't care.

WVRedsFan
09-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Lohse was his own worst enemy in the 2nd, walking two and allowing four hits, but we see so many teams who have that great defense and make plays like the one on Denorfia that it must be the norm. Our shortstop is 36 yeras old and really didn't move that well at 26. Our 2nd baseman looks flashy at times, but never (rarely) makes the web gem play, so what does that all tell us? Save Edwin and Phillips and put the rest of the infield on the bench? I don't know. This is very depressing.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm combative, admittedly, but I avoid personal insults against other posters. I really make an honest effort to do that.

Dude - its all in the delivery -

But my responses are a bunch of frustrations that have someone just types something based on someone elses' thought who beats the same horse over and over and over - I have attacked some people personally, and it's wrong, and I'm waiting for the warn button to get highlighted.

But again, there are other people with other opinions - and they should be respected as such. This isn't some Kum-by-a festival, but there has to be SOME type of reasonable discussion.

You don't get 1100 rep points on accident - so obviously you have that respect.

redsfan30
09-18-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm flipping between the Reds and MNF.

I'm here though.....

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Dude - its all in the delivery -

But my responses are a bunch of frustrations that have someone just types something based on someone elses' thought who beats the same horse over and over and over - I have attacked some people personally, and it's wrong, and I'm waiting for the warn button to get highlighted.

But again, there are other people with other opinions - and they should be respected as such. This isn't some Kum-by-a festival, but there has to be SOME type of reasonable discussion.

You don't get 1100 rep points on accident - so obviously you have that respect.

Eh. It's not just me. I see a lot of guys and gals getting called out for their "fanhood" by people who have only been members of this site for 4 or 5 months. It sucks. And it's not just for me. Heck, if it were just me, I probably wouldn't say anything.

It has nothing to do with rep and everything to do with decency.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Trust me, I have a full life. Hobbies, family, avocation, career. The whole bit. But I love my Reds.

Dude - I'm with you on that - I wouldn't know what to do if Bil DeWitt decided that San Diego was a great place for a baseball team in 1965 and Frank Dale didn't step to the plate so to speak. I might not even have liked baseball. But, I'm cast with what I have been given and I'm glad the Reds are here to enjoy. I'm still a Reds fan and the last few years have sucked.

FCB - even as flawed as they were this spring - admit it - it WAS fun until around August 28th.

And Philly is my home, but not my psychological/sports home. The sports fans here earn their filthy stripes. I don't truck with them, and I genuinely don't care.

Wow - you really have assimilated well. You don't care about the Philly sports teams. They obviously don't either :D

WVRedsFan
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
So here we are in the bottom of the 4th, down 0-4, and we have our 5-6-7 hitters coming up. For some reason, the combo of Edwin, Ross and Denorfia don't excite me. Oswalt has been hittable, but the ball always finds itself in someone's glove. :bang:

kapers
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
I come for the witty banter during these games, but tonight just seems like drudgery. But I'll hang around for a while and hope the Reds can pull out a win and put smiles back on everyone's faces.

:) :) :) :) :)

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Eh. It's not just me. I see a lot of guys and gals getting called out for their "fanhood" by people who have only been members of this site for 4 or 5 months. It sucks. And it's not just for me. Heck, if it were just me, I probably wouldn't say anything.

So, flip the coin the other way - there have been times that newer posters have not been given the chance to fly and sometimes they've been cross-checked by some veteran poster. Who defends those people? Someone has to - if its a reasonable comment.

Sorry to blow your time here FCB - but it sure beats Long Distance Rates.

Dom Heffner
09-18-2006, 09:17 PM
That's what makes the Reds' failures year after year after year after year so brutal.

We should have been Braves fans. We could have at least watched them play slightly into October and then lose.

:)

WVRedsFan

I have to admit that a lot of arrogance lives here and sometimes the criticism is a little overboard. In fact, it's become much worse in the last three weeks. I've seen folks jumped on unmercifly over as little as a criticism of Narron that we all know is the truth or a theory that is opinion only. The constant harping on Griffey and Dunn is another example. The great love for no hit big hustle guys is legend. But most of all it's gotten nasty. It's easy to be nasty to someone you've never seen and will probably never meet, but it's cowardly too. And a lot of guys are very brave in front of a keyboard.

Falls City Beer
So, flip the coin the other way - there have been times that newer posters have not been given the chance to fly and sometimes they've been cross-checked by some veteran poster. Who defends those people? Someone has to - if its a reasonable comment.

Sorry to blow your time here FCB - but it sure beats Long Distance Rates.

Fair enough. I try not to do that. But I'm sure I have and I've seen others do it.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:18 PM
So here we are in the bottom of the 4th, down 0-4, and we have our 5-6-7 hitters coming up. For some reason, the combo of Edwin, Hat and Denorfia don't excite me. Oswalt has been hittable, but the ball always finds itself in someone's glove. :bang:

There's a game? :D

BTW - You watching MNF - you Bengal fans might be noticing - the Steelers are getting hit tonight. It's a short week.

EricF
09-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Remember earlier this year when the Reds actually beat Oswalt? It was either just a blip, or perhaps it never really happened (just a dream...)

OnBaseMachine
09-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Since we're calling roll, I'm here!

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Fair enough. I try not to do that. But I'm sure I have and I've seen others do it.

Yep, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I'll admit, I've been pretty defensive lately. Maybe an offseason will be good.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:20 PM
ESPN scroll line

Cubs 9, Phillies 4

When you lose your offense, play Cincinnati to find it.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Remember earlier this year when the Reds actually beat Oswalt? It was either just a blip, or perhaps it never really happened (just a dream...)

I don't do dream sequences dude, but are you confusing that with Happy Gilmore's happy place?

George Foster
09-18-2006, 09:25 PM

Sign me up....back from the Windy City...

Dom Heffner
09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
BTW - You watching MNF - you Bengal fans might be noticing - the Steelers are getting hit tonight. It's a short week.

Trust me- they aren't going to lose tonight or next week.

These guys are like the '72 Dolphins.

RedFanAlways1966
09-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Yep, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I'll admit, I've been pretty defensive lately. Maybe an offseason will be good.

I'm here too. I don't think you're defensive. I think some people invite trouble and get a kick out of doing it (imagine that). But like a 25-man roster, there are all kinds of different personalities on this board. Some relish the role of being the bad guy.

I like football. Some should be happy that the season wasn't over for our beloved REDS while the Arena League was still playing... like it has been for the last 6 years. But that would go against the grain and go against what some like to do! And I must admit that I get a kick out of it most of the time. It is all fun and that is what this place should be in the grand scheme of things.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:29 PM

These guys are bringing it. I'm on the edge of my seat on these hits.

The experts said it was going to be physical. They ain't lyin'.

reds44
09-18-2006, 09:29 PM

I may not be in the game thread (well I guess now I am), but I am watching the game.

reds44
09-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Minute Maid is such a nice park. I saw a couple Reds game down there back in late July. Awesome place.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:31 PM
But like a 25-man roster, there are all kinds of different personalities on this board.

Reminds me of the intro to Psych class lab question I had one - "If you were a tree, what tree would you be?" - we could translate that to "If you could relate your posting style to a Reds player who would you be?"

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Reminds me of the intro to Psych class lab question I had one - "If you were a tree, what tree would you be?" - we could translate that to "If you could relate your posting style to a Reds player who would you be?"

It also makes me think of Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Reds update -

Reds scored a run on Aurilia's double.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Shucks, take out the 2nd and Lohse's hasn't been too bad.

goreds2

:eek: ;)

Heath
It also makes me think of Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn."

Never was big into Poison. But good analogy anyway.

goreds2
09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
4-1 Houston / top of the 7th

Falls City Beer
09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Never was big into Poison. But good analogy anyway.

Oh god, Poison was awful. But how can you resist that sigh at the beginning?

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Rule in the NFL - if you have an NFL team and you can't sell all the seats, you shouldn't be able to "tarp" over sections. There are 8 games. Sell the tickets. Sell them cheap. Give them to boys and girls clubs.

But don't go Hefty Bag on them.

Matt700wlw
Olmedo homers :laugh:

RedFanAlways1966
REY OLMEDO! Longball off Oswalt. Wow!

goreds2
Ray Olmedo Homerun!! (Now 4-2)

George Foster
09-18-2006, 09:46 PM
The ball has to be juiced after that homerun....

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Rey Olmedo go boom.

*shakes head*

RedFanAlways1966
09-18-2006, 09:47 PM

And don't Talk Dirty To Me... if you look or sound like Poison! :help:

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:48 PM

I must have - I was too busy watching Annie Lennox I guess.... :D

She looked absouletly stunning in Walking on Broken Glass.

goreds2
09-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Rey Olmedo go boom.

*shakes head*

Let's win this FREAKIN' game! :yikes:

flyer85
09-18-2006, 09:53 PM
I am really starting to develop a healthy dislike for Freels baserunning. Speed isn't all that great if you are continually getting picked off and thrown out.

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I am really starting to develop a healthy dislike for Freels baserunning. Speed isn't all that great if you are continually getting picked off and thrown out.

I think this is one area where Jerry Narron can disavow any knowledge. Freel has the green light.

Woulda been nice to make it though....

Heath
09-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Mets beat Florida 4-0

Joy in Flushing. NL East Champs.

Razor Shines
09-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Great hustle by Deno. One things for sure that wouldn't have happened to Jr......because he'd have been no where near close enough to even think about diving.

EricF
Congrats to the Mets. At least they don't cut us to the heart like in the 1999 on-game Wild Card playoff.

flyer85
I never had a reason to dislike French-Canadians until the Reds traded for Cormier.

Heath
09-18-2006, 10:07 PM
At taking the risk of talking to myself -

Rheal Cormier, old enough to be Luke's (Scott) father, wanted to help the kid out. 5-2 Astros.

:starwars:

flynn78
09-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Rheal Cormier: French for reliever who has very little left in the tank

flynn78
09-18-2006, 10:10 PM
At taking the risk of talking to myself -

Rheal Cormier, old enough to be Luke's (Scott) father, wanted to help the kid out. 5-2 Astros.

:starwars:

I'm listening. :)

Heath
09-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm listening. :)

Thanks - Kitty's asleep in the corner....

:laugh:

Heath
09-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Rich Aurilia

.303/22/63/.882

Reds (gulp!) MVP?

Razor Shines
09-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Rich Aurilia

.303/22/63/.882

Reds (gulp!) MVP?

Somebody's going to give him a nice contract this offseason, and I guess he's earned it.

Heath
09-18-2006, 10:27 PM
5-2 Astros - top 9

This might be it.

Razor Shines
09-18-2006, 10:28 PM
If there is such a thing as "clutch" Holly is the definition.

goreds2
09-18-2006, 10:28 PM
HOLLY an HR (5-3)

Heath
09-18-2006, 10:30 PM
What a night.

Rey Olmedo homers.

Now Todd Hollandsworth homers.

Duane Walker in the on-deck circle.

5-3 'Stros.

goreds2
Reds lose 5-3. Only a 1/2 game ahead of Houston now. :bang:

Heath
And that's a wrap.

2 hours and 15 minutes - wow.

Heath
09-18-2006, 10:32 PM
JAX kicks a FG - 3-0 ....

reds44
09-18-2006, 10:33 PM
What happend to this team?

Narron has lost the team. It has given up.

Razor Shines
09-18-2006, 10:41 PM
What happend to this team?

Narron has lost the team. It has given up.

"I don't know where, confused about how as well, just know that these things will never change for us at all."

REDREAD
09-18-2006, 11:31 PM

I'm here for the autotopsy, just got home from work..