PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Week

WMR
09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
My key match-up for this game will be Sam Adams versus the Steelers RBs and O-Line. The Jags did an exemplary job of clogging the middle. Sam Adams will be key to the Bengals successfully mimicking their performance.

The loss of Dexter Jackson magnifies the need for Sam Adams to have a huge--literally and figuratively--game.

The Bengals D-Line hasn't convincingly won a game-long trench-battle against the Steelers in a long time. Maybe this Sunday will be the first.

WMR
09-19-2006, 02:06 PM
The short week for the Steelers is another definite advantage, especially considering the utter brutality of their contest last night.

I think Ghiucic could end up being a better center for this O-Line by Week 8.

We have the deepest linebacking corps in the NFL.

Can Kaesviharn just play a SOLID game?

traderumor
09-19-2006, 02:12 PM
The first thing I saw as Braylon Edwards broke free for Cleveland's one play of the game was "uh-oh, this looks like last year when Kaesviharn was playing way too much last year." I also groaned when Dexter went down, knowing that we would likely be left with KK for the Steelers. But unless Ben finds his game between now and Sunday and we can pressure him in some measure similar to what the Jags did, it could be another long day for SquealTown.

redsfan30
09-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I actually feel pretty good about Cincinnati's chances Sunday. They obviously have the offensive advantage and I think the special teams are a wash. The game (as most Bengals/Steelers games do) will come down to who plays better defensively.

The run defense has looked pretty good so far this young season. Holding Larry Johnson to only 60-some yards is an impressive thing and maybe just maybe the Steelers miss Jerome Bettis more than they think they do.

I think if you take away thier running game, you win the game. Despite his post season last year, I still don't think Big Ben can beat you if you force him to put the ball in the air on a consistant basis especially when he's still trying to get his feet wet this season.

I understand many folks will pick Pittsburgh just because they're the big, bad Steelers. But I feel pretty good going into the game.

traderumor
09-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Obviously a lot can change over the course of the season, but I think Pittsburgh may be looking at an 8-8 season unless they can find some offense. I know the Jags D is tough as the Bengals found out last year, but that was beyond an ugly display on the O side for the Steelers. I think your right, RF30 about the Bettis influence, but their receiving corps is pretty thin right now too. I noticed the Jags kept Miller out of the game, which left them with Hines and a rookie who seemed a bit overwhelmed last night. I'd say the Bengals need to gameplan against Miller as well, esp. as much as he hurt us last year.

dabvu2498
09-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Really, all I can say is...

Hear that Bengal growlin' mean and angry
Here he comes a prowlin' lean and hungry
An offensive brute
Run, pass or boot
And defensively he's rough, tough
Cincinnati Bengals
That's the team we're going to cheer to victory
Touchdown Bengals get some points upon that board
And win a game for Cincinnati

WVRed
09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
and maybe just maybe the Steelers miss Jerome Bettis more than they think they do.

They sure missed him last night. I realize his age, but he would have been a difference maker last night if he had played.

On a side note, I envy the Jaguars defensive line. If we had a defensive line similar to Marcus Stroud and John Henderson, run stopping would not be an issue.

CrackerJack
09-19-2006, 04:01 PM
I think Ghiucic could end up being a better center for this O-Line by Week 8.

I really don't know what the basis is for anyone to think something like this about him. He's simply a filler until they find someone better - he's really not that good...unfortunately.

Palomalu is hurting big time and it showed last night - question why he was even playing honestly.

The Bengals' are as banged up as they have been, in a long time. Will have to wait to see who practices this week.

WMR
09-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I've heard really good things about him, CJ.

Braham is, what, 35? I think he's visibly slowed.

I thought they projected Eric to replace Rich.

Falls City Beer
09-19-2006, 05:41 PM
It'll be close, but homefield should be enough to seal it for the Steelers.

Matt700wlw
09-19-2006, 05:49 PM
It'll be close, but homefield should be enough to seal it for the Steelers.

I hope you're wrong about the outcome, but I'm sure you'll be right that it will be a close game. It will also be a very physical game.....should be fun!

Dom Heffner
09-19-2006, 05:54 PM
I might be the worst Bengal fan ever, but I think the Steelers will win.

Hopefully my prediction turns out like the one I made last night did.

Falls City Beer
09-19-2006, 05:56 PM
I might be the worst Bengal fan ever, but I think the Steelers will win.

Hopefully my prediction turns out like the one I made last night did.

Playing good teams on the road is almost impossible even for the most elite ballclubs. I think the Bengals mop-up the Steelers in Cincy, however.

redsfan30
09-19-2006, 06:13 PM
As I eluded to in my earlier post, if the Bengals don't stop the run, they don't win....period. The Steelers are going to be all about trying to establish the run especially after being embarassed last night.

If the Bengals are able to contain the run game, they will win.

Matt700wlw
09-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Playing good teams on the road is almost impossible even for the most elite ballclubs. I think the Bengals mop-up the Steelers in Cincy, however.

I'll be at that game! I defnitely hope for that! :beerme:

max venable
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM

It was the other way around last year, wasn't it? I think the Bengals won in Pittsburg and vice versa.

Tommyjohn25
09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
It was the other way around last year, wasn't it? I think the Bengals won in Pittsburg and vice versa.

You got it, and I drove to Pittsburgh to root for my black and gold the night before the game. It was freezing cold, snowy, and just flat out nasty outside that day and I basically drove all the way out there to watch the Bengals humiliate my boys, it was a loooooooong drive home on one of the worst overall days I've ever had as a sports fan.

Matt700wlw
09-19-2006, 07:20 PM
You got it, and I drove to Pittsburgh to root for my black and gold the night before the game. It was freezing cold, snowy, and just flat out nasty outside that day and I basically drove all the way out there to watch the Bengals humiliate my boys, it was a loooooooong drive home on one of the worst overall days I've ever had as a sports fan.

I don't feel sorry for you :p:

BuckWoody
09-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't feel sorry for you :p:
I'm with Matt, that story made my day a little brighter. :evil: Lord knows I've made plenty of miserable treks from Cincinnati to Dayton after bad football games.

Falls City Beer
09-19-2006, 07:42 PM

Of course anything can happen, but if you're wagering....

WVRed
09-19-2006, 07:52 PM

Cincinnati generally plays well at Heinz Field, just as the Steelers play well at Paul Brown.

I'm not going to predict a Bengals win just yet. Our run defense isnt as sturdy as the Jaguars, so Willie Parker will be a factor, and we are dealing with a lot of injuries. The only thing we really have going into this game is our history in Pittsburgh and that the Steelers are playing a short week, but since they lost to Jacksonville on Monday Night, they could come out with a fire lit under them.

guttle11
09-19-2006, 08:00 PM
The key to the game will be the Bengals offense. They HAVE to control the TOP. The Steelers aren't a quick strike offense. THey have their "gadget" plays, but for the most part they are a methodical offense.

The way you beat that is to get an early lead and run the ball.

macro
09-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Steelers are a two-point favorite, for what that's worth.

Matt700wlw
09-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Steelers are a two-point favorite, for what that's worth.

Home team is automatically a 3 point favorite because they're the home team....

for what it's worth...

WMR
09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
So in other words, Las Vegas has no idea either.

GAC
09-19-2006, 09:07 PM
How will the injuries that the Bengals incurred last week have an effect?

wheels
09-19-2006, 09:15 PM
They're losing Jackson and Braham, but TJ and Levi will be back.

That's a plus, but a team needs to be as close to 100% as possible to beat those guys on their own turf.

The Steelers are Klingons, and they scare me.

I hate 'em, but they scare me.

RedsFanatic
09-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I bet Troy P has the same injury that shelved Madieu for the majority of last year.

Yachtzee
09-19-2006, 09:48 PM

I've had some of those drives as a Bengals fan. For 12 years before Marvin Lewis came to town, I've suffered many a long drive back up I-71 to the Akron area. I think the two worst were the Bucs-Bengals game of 2002 with Akili Smith at the helm and playing the Browns the last game of the season in 2003, watching Lee Suggs single-handedly dismantle the Bengals' playoff hopes. The worst thing about that game was making the trip all the way back up 71 with a bunch of Browns fans hooting and honking their horns in victory as they passed us.

I've also suffered a few hard defeats at Cleveland Browns stadium, including the infamous Gus Frerotte "Left-Handed Pass" game.

Newport Red
09-19-2006, 10:41 PM
The key to the game will be the Bengals offense. They HAVE to control the TOP. The Steelers aren't a quick strike offense. THey have their "gadget" plays, but for the most part they are a methodical offense.

The way you beat that is to get an early lead and run the ball.

I agree. Get an early lead and make Pittsburgh's offense one dimensional. When Ben has been forced to throw, the results have been mixed.

Redsfaithful
09-21-2006, 03:06 PM
They're losing Jackson and Braham, but TJ and Levi will be back.

That's a plus, but a team needs to be as close to 100% as possible to beat those guys on their own turf.

The Steelers are Klingons, and they scare me.

I hate 'em, but they scare me.

Tab Perry is also out. He returned a kick 94 yards against the Steelers last year.

I really have no idea what to expect. I'll be happy if the Bengals can get one win in the next two weeks. A 3-1 start wouldn't be at all bad with their first four games schedule.

WMR
09-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Bengals Watch Cowher Being 'Rude'
Steelers Coach Caught Using Cheer

By JOE KAY
AP Sports

CINCINNATI (Sept. 21) - Many Cincinnati Bengals weren't even aware that their "Who Dey" cheer spurred another team to a Super Bowl title last season.

During a team meeting Wednesday, coach Marvin Lewis played video of Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher leading the "Who Dey" cheer in the Steelers' locker room after their playoff victory at Paul Brown Stadium last January.

In the video, Cowher triumphantly asks "Who Dey?" - as in, "Who Dey Think Gonna Beat Dem Bengals?" - and Steelers players respond, "We Dey!" The video was shot in the locker room after that 31-17 win on Jan. 8, the one in which Carson Palmer 's knee was shredded on his first pass by Steelers lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen .

Some Bengals watched the video and laughed. Others took offense.

"I didn't like it," receiver Chad Johnson . "It was very rude."

Of course, Johnson saw nothing wrong with using a Terrible Towel as a bib for interviews leading up to the Bengals' regular-season game in Pittsburgh last season, escalating the tit-for-tat nature of the rivalry.

Lewis' video session struck some veterans as a standard coaching ploy for their game Sunday in Pittsburgh. The Bengals won the AFC North last season, but the Steelers knocked them out of the playoffs and went on to win the Super Bowl.

"I've been around for 10 years," defensive end Bryan Robinson said. "I guess for some guys, that's what you need to get going; then, that's all fine and dandy. Coaches will find different things like that to see what he can arouse out of that. I'm sure that got some guys going.

"I was laughing. They won that game and they had every right to say 'We Dey.' If we're going to say 'Who Dey?' they had every right to say that."

Cowher knew it would come up.

Not only did he use the Bengals' cheer after that playoff win, he dusted it off again at a downtown celebration of the Steelers' Super Bowl victory. He concluded the rally by hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and leading the cheer:

"Who Dey? Who Dey? Who Dey? Who Dey think gonna beat the NFL?

"Pittsburgh Steelers , world champs!"

In a conference call with Cincinnati writers on Wednesday, Cowher handled the matter delicately.

"I'll say this: Imitation is the greatest form of flattery," Cowher said. "I have a lot of respect for that organization, for that football team. Maybe (it was) getting caught up in the moment. But like I said, last year's last year."

Lewis was Cowher's linebackers coach in Pittsburgh for four years in the 1990s, and remains an admirer. At least publicly, he was diplomatic about Cowher turning into a cheer stealer.

"The time after the game is an emotional part ... you've been in there grinding, and I'm sure it is something that probably their players picked up on and so forth, just like our guys pick up on the Terrible Towel," Lewis said. "There's nothing to that."

If so, then why show the video to his team?

"We do a lot of different things every morning," he said.

While he was rehabilitating his left knee, Palmer watched the Steelers roll through the playoffs and thought his team should have been the one getting a title in Detroit . Thoughts of their rematch gave Palmer motivation during his rehabilitation, and he even acknowledged that he "hates" the Steelers.

But not for stealing the cheer.

"Some people have different opinions about that," Palmer said. "I don't think much of it. I'm sure they were excited to beat us and move on in the playoffs.

"Who knows what we're going to be saying if we have a chance to beat them and move on? It's part of the fun of the game."

CTA513
09-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Tab Perry is also out. He returned a kick 94 yards against the Steelers last year.

I really have no idea what to expect. I'll be happy if the Bengals can get one win in the next two weeks. A 3-1 start wouldn't be at all bad with their first four games schedule.

Reggie McNeal might be taking over as kick returner while Tab Perry is out.
He is fast, but he was a QB in college and I dont think he has much experience returning kicks. My main concern with him is if he can actually hold on to the ball without fumbling it. If he cant handle the job, then my guess is Kenny Watson will be the one who fills in for Tab.

WMR
09-22-2006, 01:14 AM
What about Keiwan?

SeeinRed
09-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Bengals Watch Cowher Being 'Rude'
Steelers Coach Caught Using Cheer

By JOE KAY
AP Sports

CINCINNATI (Sept. 21) - Many Cincinnati Bengals weren't even aware that their "Who Dey" cheer spurred another team to a Super Bowl title last season.

During a team meeting Wednesday, coach Marvin Lewis played video of Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher leading the "Who Dey" cheer in the Steelers' locker room after their playoff victory at Paul Brown Stadium last January.

In the video, Cowher triumphantly asks "Who Dey?" - as in, "Who Dey Think Gonna Beat Dem Bengals?" - and Steelers players respond, "We Dey!" The video was shot in the locker room after that 31-17 win on Jan. 8, the one in which Carson Palmer 's knee was shredded on his first pass by Steelers lineman Kimo von Oelhoffen .

Some Bengals watched the video and laughed. Others took offense.

"I didn't like it," receiver Chad Johnson . "It was very rude."

Of course, Johnson saw nothing wrong with using a Terrible Towel as a bib for interviews leading up to the Bengals' regular-season game in Pittsburgh last season, escalating the tit-for-tat nature of the rivalry.

Lewis' video session struck some veterans as a standard coaching ploy for their game Sunday in Pittsburgh. The Bengals won the AFC North last season, but the Steelers knocked them out of the playoffs and went on to win the Super Bowl.

"I've been around for 10 years," defensive end Bryan Robinson said. "I guess for some guys, that's what you need to get going; then, that's all fine and dandy. Coaches will find different things like that to see what he can arouse out of that. I'm sure that got some guys going.

"I was laughing. They won that game and they had every right to say 'We Dey.' If we're going to say 'Who Dey?' they had every right to say that."

Cowher knew it would come up.

Not only did he use the Bengals' cheer after that playoff win, he dusted it off again at a downtown celebration of the Steelers' Super Bowl victory. He concluded the rally by hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and leading the cheer:

"Who Dey? Who Dey? Who Dey? Who Dey think gonna beat the NFL?

"Pittsburgh Steelers , world champs!"

In a conference call with Cincinnati writers on Wednesday, Cowher handled the matter delicately.

"I'll say this: Imitation is the greatest form of flattery," Cowher said. "I have a lot of respect for that organization, for that football team. Maybe (it was) getting caught up in the moment. But like I said, last year's last year."

Lewis was Cowher's linebackers coach in Pittsburgh for four years in the 1990s, and remains an admirer. At least publicly, he was diplomatic about Cowher turning into a cheer stealer.

"The time after the game is an emotional part ... you've been in there grinding, and I'm sure it is something that probably their players picked up on and so forth, just like our guys pick up on the Terrible Towel," Lewis said. "There's nothing to that."

If so, then why show the video to his team?

"We do a lot of different things every morning," he said.

While he was rehabilitating his left knee, Palmer watched the Steelers roll through the playoffs and thought his team should have been the one getting a title in Detroit . Thoughts of their rematch gave Palmer motivation during his rehabilitation, and he even acknowledged that he "hates" the Steelers.

But not for stealing the cheer.

"Some people have different opinions about that," Palmer said. "I don't think much of it. I'm sure they were excited to beat us and move on in the playoffs.

"Who knows what we're going to be saying if we have a chance to beat them and move on? It's part of the fun of the game."

The team won't say it to the media, but that has to be some really good motivation into this game, like they needed any. I mean come on, its the team that injured you're star QB in the first round of the playoffs, a division rival, and now this. If Bengals/Steelers doesn't turn out to be one of the biggest rivalries in not only the NFL, but all professional sports, then I don't know what a rivalry is. Sometimes I think the "Who-Dey" chant means more to the fans, especially ones who have been around a while, than the players on the team right now. You can't tell me that Cowher didn't fuel the fire just a little bit with his chant.

As for the game, I think the keys to the game are just the same as every other game. Stop the run, stop the big play, don't turn the ball over, and control the clock. Mistakes are hard to make up on the road, especially at Heinz Field. The Steelers Offense may not be the force that the Bengals' Offense is, or even where they were last year, but give an offense a short field, they will make you pay for it more often than not.

The Steelers D is the strength of this team. You probably aren't going to score a lot. That means that the difference in this game might come down to the Bengals' D and special teams. Ahh, but therin lies the injury problems. Most notably on Defense with Jackson and Pollack. Both potentially huge losses against keeping big plays to a minimum (Jackson) and pass rush (Pollack). The O-line loses a very important part (Steinback), but could also gain Jones. Special teams loses probably its most valuable player in Tab Perry. The guy is a difference maker plain and simple. The difference that can be made by special teams will often win a game for a team.

A lot of people are worried about the WR corps. I'm not one of them, especially if T.J. is able to go. This team is very deep at WR. Chad Johnson, T.J., Henry, and Washington are still a very good combo. Without T.J. there aren't many options for replacement, but it wouldn't take a great reciever to add as a fourth guy to make this a very formitable group on Sunday.

What the Bengals have going for them is a very good Offense with an O-line that gives up little in the way of sacks, a very good RB in Rudi Johnson, and a star QB. Take some pressure off the D and they can do a lot of different things. The fact is that the Steelers also have some glaring problems that could play a huge factor. Will Big Ben be up to where he was last year, or is there still some rust. I would have to think it will take a couple more games for him to get in sync with the rest of the offense. There offense on a whole has taken a step back it would seem at this point in the young season. The D will always be there, but can they slow the Bengals down enough so their Offense can keep up? I certainly have a hard time that any team can when the Bengals are hitting on all cylinders in the no-huddle offense.

As for a prediction, I think the Bengals have a slight edge because of the short week, but more importantly because of the Steelers Offense being behind the Defense at this point in the season. They'll get the offense in order at some point, I just don't think it will be against the Bengals. I'll take the Bengals by a touchdown.`

Boss-Hog
09-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Braham is the offensive lineman out this Sunday (not Steinbach)

GAC
09-22-2006, 07:35 AM
My key match-up for this game will be Sam Adams

My key match up too.

Oh- you're talking players? :evil:

GAC
09-22-2006, 07:45 AM
"I didn't like it," receiver Chad Johnson . "It was very rude.".......

Or sending Pepto-Bismol to Browns defenders (who shut his butt down in that game ;) )

If you are going to play that game Chad, love the attention and being a showboat, then dont get all upset when it's thrown back at you (and your team). Two-way street baby!

Are you going to say that if the Bengals had won that game last year that the players (and fans) wouldn't have been rubbing it in the faces of the Steelers and their fans? Give me a break!

But if playing the tape motivates the Bengals, then fine. That is what it's all about.

It's all about bragging rights, and trying to win them. Every NFL team does it.

I don't like it, and have never liked excessive player celebration and taunting.

But that is what the game has evolved to anymore.

BuckWoody
09-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Or sending Pepto-Bismol to Browns defenders (who shut his butt down in that game ;) )

If you are going to play that game Chad, love the attention and being a showboat, then dont get all upset when it's thrown back at you (and your team). Two-way street baby!

Are you going to say that if the Bengals had won that game last year that the players (and fans) wouldn't have been rubbing it in the faces of the Steelers and their fans? Give me a break!

But if playing the tape motivates the Bengals, then fine. That is what it's all about.

It's all about bragging rights, and trying to win them. Every NFL team does it.

I don't like it, and have never liked excessive player celebration and taunting.

But that is what the game has evolved to anymore.
I do not agree. It's one thing for a player to be silly and celebrate and talk trash but it's quite another when it's the head coach doing it. That's the biggest difference here. I'd expect this stuff from Chad and Joey Porter and Kellen Winslow types but the head coach should stay above that. Cowher did not do that after the playoff win and he repeated himself at the parade in Pittsburgh. That's the point here, imho.

I don't really enjoy this type of stuff either, I'd rather players comport themselves and celebrate like Rudi Johnson or Marvin Harrison. Sadly, Rudi/Marvin are the exception to Chad/Joey/Kellen types any more.

SeeinRed
09-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Braham is the offensive lineman out this Sunday (not Steinbach)

Yeah, my bad. It was late. :thumbup:

puca
09-22-2006, 12:57 PM
I agree, coaches should be above that sort of thing. But Cowher is who he is: fiery, emotional and a tad bit immature. But of all people, Chad Johnson should understand immaturity.

Yachtzee
09-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Normally, I enjoy Chad's antics and find the pre-game posturing entertaining. But this week, for some reason, I would much prefer that the Bengals said nothing...then beat Steelers up and down the field on Sunday.

traderumor
09-22-2006, 02:02 PM
All the pregame chatter is in the perspective that it doesn't mean squat once the kicker puts his toe into the ball. It is fun stuff to have that sort of stuff going on in a rivalry, but has no effect on the outcome of a game. Good to see some guys in the locker room understand that. As is generally the case, balance , balance, balance.

SeeinRed
09-22-2006, 02:13 PM
I agree, coaches should be above that sort of thing. But Cowher is who he is: fiery, emotional and a tad bit immature. But of all people, Chad Johnson should understand immaturity.

From the story at bengals.com:

Johnson, who hadn’t seen it until the Lewis unveiling, called it “very rude.” But at the same time, as one Trash Talker to another, he didn’t mind it.
“They won the game,” Johnson said. “One of the things that we say is, ‘Who-Dey,’ so he just turned it around and used it as motivation for his team as they rode down the playoffs. No problem with it.”

A coach that trash talks?

“They all do it,” Johnson said. “It’s just that was caught on camera.”

But Johnson objected to former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis’s assertion that Pittsburgh ran on the fire of watching Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh wipe their shoes on the Terrible Towel after the Bengals win in Pittsburgh.

“It went beyond a win. It's one thing to win, but that took it to the next level; it became a grudge match,” Bettis said when he was here last month as an NBC analyst.

“Did they still lose?” Johnson asked. “They don’t remember that. That had nothing to do with that.”

It almost sounds to me like the AP story wanted to get a hit on Chad. They not only took his quote out of context, but they made a comment about it to try to make Chad sound even more immature.

Chad clearly said he didn't mind it according to Bengals.com, but said nothing but it was rude according to the AP. For some reason, I don't think Joe Kay is a fan of Chad Johnson.

BuckWoody
09-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Normally, I enjoy Chad's antics and find the pre-game posturing entertaining. But this week, for some reason, I would much prefer that the Bengals said nothing...then beat Steelers up and down the field on Sunday.
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less. -- Paul Brown

SeeinRed
09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Injury Updates from Bengals.com

Update: Houshmandzadeh probable
By GEOFF HOBSON
September 22, 2006

Posted: 2:15 p.m.

Houshmandzadeh
Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh (heel) has been upgraded to probable after practicing Friday. With head coach Marvin Lewis saying he's already made the decision, look for Houshmandzadeh to make his 2006 debut Sunday in Pittsburgh.

Lewis indicated left tackle Levi Jones is ready after resting his ankle last week against Cleveland, and Jones practiced in 11-on-11 Friday for the first time this week and still listed as probable. The probables who sat this week (linebacker Brian Simmons, defensive tackle Sam Adams, and left guard Eric Steinbach) all worked Friday.

In Pittsburgh, Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu (shoulder) practiced again Friday and was updated to probable. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes (foot) practiced for the first time this week, but is questionable.

wheels
09-22-2006, 06:53 PM
They need to emphasize the run to extraordinary levels early.

Force Polamalu to try and make tackles on that bum shoulder. Dollars to donuts they won't stick him in the box very often. That front seven's gonna have to get it done on their own.

Dom Heffner
09-22-2006, 07:23 PM
I really hate to be a Debbie Downer, but great teams rise to the occasion- I can't see Pittsburgh looking as awful as they did against Jacksonville.

Jacksonville makes a lot of teams look bad offensively.

Pittsburgh, 17-10

CTA513
09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
They need to emphasize the run to extraordinary levels early.

Force Polamalu to try and make tackles on that bum shoulder. Dollars to donuts they won't stick him in the box very often. That front seven's gonna have to get it done on their own.

If its raining I would think about pounding Rudi Johnson and Quincy Wilson down their throats all day.

SteelSD
09-22-2006, 10:45 PM
If its raining I would think about pounding Rudi Johnson and Quincy Wilson down their throats all day.

I'm not sure that's a good plan at all.

Pittsburgh's defense thrives in conditions like that because they're excellent in stopping the running game regardless of field condition. A wet field actually aids their pass rush because it offers less footing to the opposing offensive lineman who are forced to react to blitzes from anywhere and everywhere. IMO, the best case scenario for the Bengals is dry with little wind to allow Palmer to find holes in the zone coverage.

In short, I personally feel that a condition-neutral game favors the Bengals.

traderumor
09-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I really hate to be a Debbie Downer, but great teams rise to the occasion- I can't see Pittsburgh looking as awful as they did against Jacksonville.

Jacksonville makes a lot of teams look bad offensively.

Pittsburgh, 17-10Then again, Pittsburgh might just not be a very good team at this point in the season. They had a lot of changes on the O side and Roethelsberger is struggling. The only equalizer I see right now is the injuries to Braham and Jackson.

WMR
09-24-2006, 02:15 PM
You stay classy, Joey Porter, you bum. Lap just called Porter dogmeat. The Bengals were trying to hurry up to the line to spike the ball and Porter knocked Bobbie Williams down from behind to try and slow them down.

The bushest of the bush. That's Joey Porter.

WMR
09-24-2006, 02:16 PM
TD!!!!!!!!! B E N G A L S!!!!

Five seconds left, Bengals go up 14 - 7!!!!

WHO DEY!!!

What a way to end a half of football!!!

Matt700wlw
09-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Big Ben is overrated....

WMR
09-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Getting that TD instead of a FG to end the half is so big! Wow.

Big Ben QB rating: 30

Carson: 114

WMR
09-24-2006, 02:28 PM
I want to see a big helping of RUUUUUUUUUDI this half!!!

MrCinatit
09-24-2006, 02:30 PM
It's impressive we are ahead right now, considering how remarkably bad our D looked on the first two Steelers drives (well, until the interception in the endzone on that second drive).

WMR
09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah, the interception and the sack which put them out of easy FG range saved the D's butt that half.

RedFanAlways1966
09-24-2006, 02:42 PM
And once again the Steelers score on their 1st drive of the half. 37-yd FG for Reed makes it 14-10 Bengals. Once the Bengals stopped the run it got results. Making Ben throw seems to be the key. Steelers w/ the wind this quarter. That also seems to be a factor.

RedFanAlways1966
09-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Ike Taylor with a big INT... returns it 30 yards to the CINN 8-yd-line. Hit Henry's hands but he was hammered and it bounced out for the pick. Turnovers...

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Ike Taylor with a big INT... returns it 30 yards to the CINN 8-yd-line. Hit Henry's hands but he was hammered and it bounced out for the pick. Turnovers...

That looked like it hurt.

In any case, I think this one might just come down to whoever has the ball last.

RedFanAlways1966
09-24-2006, 02:53 PM
In any case, I think this one might just come down to whoever has the ball last.

You may be right. I was shocked when they stated that all points have been scored w/ the wind.

Parker stuffs it in from the 1-yd-line on 4th down to make it 17-14 PITT.

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 02:57 PM
You may be right. I was shocked when they stated that all points have been scored w/ the wind.

Parker stuffs it in from the 1-yd-line on 4th down to make it 17-14 PITT.

The wind in that stadium wreaks havoc with the passing game all too often. It's why Pitt needs to put up, in my estimation, at least another 7 in the third to have a real shot at winning this ballgame.

RedFanAlways1966
09-24-2006, 03:00 PM
The wind in that stadium wreaks havoc with the passing game all too often. It's why Pitt needs to put up, in my estimation, at least another 7 in the third to have a real shot at winning this ballgame.

Yep... and CINN keeps throwing the ball. As a Bengals fan I am into running the clock and turning the other way before the playbook is opened past page 3. Almost had two throws picked there... leaves 4:45 on the clock as they go 3-and-out.

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Yep... and CINN keeps throwing the ball. As a Bengals fan I am into running the clock and turning the other way before the playbook is opened past page 3. Almost had two throws picked there... leaves 4:45 on the clock as they go 3-and-out.

Yep. Pitt needs to do more than eat the clock at this point because they need to be mindful of how hard it is to convert a FG into that wind if they get within range before the end of the 3rd.

BTW, I found a DVD collection of all four Steelers playoff games yesterday (complete games) at Wal Mart. Anyone know if the NFL has released complete playoff games like that before?

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Christ. How dumb are you, Ben? Seriously.

RedFanAlways1966
09-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Turnovers have been crucial, as they usually are, in this game. And once again...

Palmer fumbles for the third time and finally loses one. Sacked as two Steelers came almost untouched. Steelers ball at their own 31.

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Turnovers have been crucial, as they usually are, in this game. And once again...

Palmer fumbles for the third time and finally loses one. Sacked as two Steelers came almost untouched. Steelers ball at their own 31.

Was that the same RB who picked up the first fumble and ran for the 1st down who tried to pick up the last one?

RedFanAlways1966
09-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Was that the same RB who picked up the first fumble and ran for the 1st down who tried to pick up the last one?

I couldn't tell who it was that time. #33, Kenny Watson, had the 1st one that you mentioned.

They turn around. Bengals need to hold onto the ball nad hopefully get Carson on target.

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 03:28 PM

Freakin' Steelers need to have their heads examined after this loss. Complete and utter stupidity shown today.

Reds Fanatic
09-24-2006, 03:30 PM
TD pass to TJ makes it 21-17 Bengals with just under 8 minutes left.

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Ballgame.

If you'd like a couple more turnovers for a little icing on the cake, I'm sure the Steelers can oblige.

paintmered
09-24-2006, 03:35 PM
And just like that....

28-17 Bengals

WMR
09-24-2006, 03:36 PM
HOUSHYO-Daddy!!!!

WHO DEY

Reds4Life
09-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm sure there will be some fire Cowher talk after today, Steelers will be 1-2.

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm sure there will be some fire Cowher talk after today, Steelers will be 1-2.

Nah. Cowher can't catch the passes, punts, hold onto the ball on straight-ahead rushing plays, or prevent bonehead interceptions in the opposing end zone.

This one is all on the offense and special teams.

WMR
09-24-2006, 03:55 PM
WOW. What a time to take a taunting penalty!

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 03:57 PM
WOW. What a time to take a taunting penalty!

A celebration penalty and a taunting penalty in the same game is absolutely inexcusable...as are a number of other events during the game.

The Steelers roster needs to be running wind sprints for about two weeks.

paintmered
09-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Game over. 28-20 Bengals.

WHODEY!!

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Ballgame.

If you'd like a couple more turnovers for a little icing on the cake, I'm sure the Steelers can oblige.

Told ya'.

Well deserved win for the Bengals, who capitalized on pretty much every opportunity. Well deserved loss for the Steelers, who couldn't find a mistake they wouldn't make.

Falls City Beer
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
And one elite team stands alone in the NFL. Impressive win.

paintmered
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Told ya'.

Well deserved win for the Bengals, who capitalized on pretty much every opportunity. Well deserved loss for the Steelers, who couldn't find a mistake they wouldn't make.

But your team still made it very interesting at the end. It takes a good team overcome mistake after mistake and still have a chance to win the game.

pedro
09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
The Steelers really game that game away.

The Bengals O Line wasn't too impressive. Hope that changes in coming weeks.

Good win for the Bengals.

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 04:14 PM
But your team still made it very interesting at the end. It takes a good team overcome mistake after mistake and still have a chance to win the game.

True, but it's still got glaring deficiencies that should have been addressed in the offseason. Other than Ward and Miller, the receiving corps is decidedly third-tier. When you have to decide between Quincy Morgan or Nate Washington and have Cedric Wilson as a starting wideout, you're in trouble.

Ditto when you don't have a reliable power back or kick returner (which left them trading for an undrafted rookie and then releasing him for Najeh Davnport). I've seen this kind of thing before with Cowher and Co. and it is a pretty consistent issue- they think they can just "get by" on the strength of the defense with substandard offensive options. Last year, they were just good enough to do it but they've slipped this year and the fact that Ben has played like complete arse this year isn't helping.

SteelSD
09-24-2006, 04:15 PM
The Steelers really game that game away.

The Bengals O Line wasn't too impressive. Hope that changes in coming weeks.

Good win for the Bengals.

I was a bit surprised by the Bengals' O-line today. The Steelers couldn't get anything resembling that amount of pressure on Leftwich last week.

Reds Fanatic
09-24-2006, 04:25 PM
I was a bit surprised by the Bengals' O-line today. The Steelers couldn't get anything resembling that amount of pressure on Leftwich last week.
Bengals are having some serious offensive line problems. The injuries to Braham and Jones are really hurting them. Carson has now been sacked 10 times the last 2 weeks.

traderumor
09-24-2006, 04:52 PM
That was a really fun game, made all the more fun with the Bengals winning. Those two scores on back to back turnovers were indeed backbreakers. I waited and waited and waited for the force to end it, but I was really nervous once the ball got to the 16. What irony that KK ended it after he was one of the folks I thought the Steelers could pick on. I guess he is not as exposed with Madieu back there, who with Joseph give us half of a good young defensive backfield for the future. But Housh made the difference today.

traderumor
09-24-2006, 04:55 PM
I was a bit surprised by the Bengals' O-line today. The Steelers couldn't get anything resembling that amount of pressure on Leftwich last week.Not sure what adjustment it is, but they are going to see blitz after blitz until they make it. That is where the Browns got their pressure last week, so I knew the Steelers blitzing ways would give us fits. We thank Pittsburgh, from the bottom of our heart, for fumbling the game away.

Playadlc
09-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Probably the thing that surprised me the most was how well our D played.

Pitt. averaged 4.7 yards per play today. That's pretty impressive D, especially considering where the game was played. Their D was pretty solid as well, holding us to 4.8 yards per play.

Just a huge win for the Bengals. Pitt. really needed to win this game, and we answered the bell, minus a couple starters, and not playing our best game offensively, although I will credit the Steelers D for most of that.

I really don't see the Bengals losing too many football games this season.

wheels
09-24-2006, 06:40 PM
The Steelers of today looked like the Bengals of the nineties.

That's exactly how they would lose games week in and week out.

I'm so glad it's now the oughts.

redsfan30
09-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Huge win today. As was stated above, the offensive line was a problem today. Carson didn't play particularly well (despite his numbers) but in fairness he was running for his life way too much this afternoon.

If Chris Henry stays out of jail, he's going to be very good.....

The first interception in the endzone very well could be a moment we look back on and say that turned the season. It was almost 14-0 and as bad as the offense looked early, that would have been a big hole to climb out of. Instead they pick the ball off and it leads to two unanswered scores going into halftime. Words can't say how big that was.

After seeing them play so far this season, I really believe the Bengals are the best team in the NFL right now. Remember, Odell Thurman will be back after the bye week so the defense will get another shot in the arm. It's awful fun to be a Bengals fan right now. We've come a LONG way from 2-14.

WMR
09-24-2006, 09:02 PM
I only got to hear the game on internet radio today...

Who wasn't getting the job done on the O-line?

Was Levi noticeably hampered by his injury?

Maybe we're missing Braham's reads more than I thought we would.

wheels
09-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Levi was in and out the entire game.

Gaichiuc whiffed on more than one guy in pass protection as well. Overall, it was an ugly day for the O-Line.

It really says a lot about the Bengals, being able to overcome it.

WVRed
09-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Thoughts on the game-

*This win was huge today for the Bengals. I think the division will ultimately come down to two teams, and that is the Bengals and Ravens. Pittsburgh may make a late comeback, but this loss today and the egg layed in Jacksonville last week will come back to haunt them.

*Remember Remember the Fifth of November. The Bengals and Ravens will play in Baltimore, and this could very well determine the AFC North Championship.

*The toughest schedule in the NFL could go either way, but I think we proved in this game that we can hang with the elite. If we win against the Patriots next week, get ready to hear the Bengals going to Miami.

*The biggest problem I see heading toward the playoffs is ego and injury. The offensive line needs to get together and quick, because we are one Carson Palmer injury from being back to square one. Chris Henry has IMO pushed TJ for the no 2 receiver, but there is a paradox. I was worried more as I watched the sidelines today about seeing Chad Johnson sulking on the sidelines as he only caught one reception all game. I like Chad, and he is FAR from Terrell Owens, but he needs to realize he isnt the only receiver on this team capable of breaking a game. He needs to be more like Marvin Harrison and not Randy Moss.

*If Palmer cuts down on the interceptions and gets more protection, maybe not this year, but next, this offense will be on par with the Colts of two years ago when Manning broke Marino's record. I'm not saying Palmer will score the most TD's in a season, but he could be in for an MVP performance.

deltachi8
09-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Well deserved win by the Bengals...class of the division.

Better learn how to stop the run though if they plan on winning it all.

traderumor
09-25-2006, 08:27 AM
In addition to improving the O-Line and stopping the cutback run, hopefully they practice on the idea of a designated driver this week.

wheels
09-25-2006, 09:00 AM
In addition to improving the O-Line and stopping the cutback run, hopefully they practice on the idea of a designated driver this week.

Okay, I'm totally drawing a blank on what your point is here.

Was there another DUI?

Reds Fanatic
09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Okay, I'm totally drawing a blank on what your point is here.

Was there another DUI?
Odell Thurman last night.

NJReds
09-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Odell Thurman last night.

If I'm not mistaken, that's another strike against the league's substance abuse policy. If so, he'd be out for the season, no?

Reds Fanatic
09-25-2006, 10:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that's a strike against the league's substance abuse policy. If so, he'd be out for the season, no?
I am not sure what the exact rules are since is his 2nd offense. I am not sure if it is the season or another 4 weeks. He was due to return to practice on October 2nd. This will probably stop that.

Reds Fanatic
09-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Actually this would be his 3rd offense. So he would be looking at a year suspension.

TeamSelig
09-25-2006, 11:31 AM
What was the point in running with Rudi for the first two plays of almost every drive? It obviously wasn't working, so why go with it? Keep the defense on their toes. The play patterns were very predictable at first. Once we started passing more, we started running better and scoring.

max venable
09-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Thoughts on the game-

*This win was huge today for the Bengals. I think the division will ultimately come down to two teams, and that is the Bengals and Ravens. Pittsburgh may make a late comeback, but this loss today and the egg layed in Jacksonville last week will come back to haunt them.

*Remember Remember the Fifth of November. The Bengals and Ravens will play in Baltimore, and this could very well determine the AFC North Championship.

I'm really not impressed with the Ravens. They don't worry me...maybe they should but they don't. Who have they beaten? Tampa Bay? Bad team. Oakland? Puh-leez. Cleveland? They should have lost that game.

So the Ravens have beaten three, WINLESS teams. Oooohh! Look out!

Ravens = Paper tiger, IMO.

Well deserved win by the Bengals...class of the division.

Better learn how to stop the run though if they plan on winning it all.

Classy post del. Thanks for the props.

GAC
09-25-2006, 11:56 AM
What was the point in running with Rudi for the first two plays of almost every drive? It obviously wasn't working, so why go with it? Keep the defense on their toes.

Yep. Keep them honest. IMO, the Bengals have a very balanced attack. You have to keep mixing it up. Even if one aspect of the game is not particularly working that day.

And might I add that that hit on Henry over the middle would cause me to violate the league's substance abuse policy. Downright nasty! :lol:

But is getting DUI a violation of that policy?

GAC
09-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm really not impressed with the Ravens. They don't worry me...maybe they should but they don't. Who have they beaten? Tampa Bay? Bad team. Oakland? Puh-leez. Cleveland? They should have lost that game.

You could be right. But I wouldn't let my guard down against them. At least they are beating those teams you are suppose to beat.

But yeah - my Brownies should have beaten them yesterday.

SeeinRed
09-25-2006, 04:04 PM

It doesn't matter how they beat them, they are still wins. W's are hard to come by in the NFL. The scary thing about the Ravens is their defense. They may not win by a lot, but a team that can win those close games with defense is just as scary as a team like the Bengals with a great offense. They are definately not a team that you can write off as a win.

WMR
09-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Unbeaten Bengals keep cool

By GEOFF HOBSON
September 25, 2006

The Bengals defense sacked Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger three times on the day. (Getty Images)

PITTSBURGH - Pro Bowl right tackle Willie Anderson dragged into the locker room last Wednesday morning and chipper Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis handed him the shovel that has become a symbol of his team’s blue-collar focus and the one he pulls out for the grimiest tasks.

“We’re going to need it this week,” Lewis told him and on Sunday the shovel was placed in the middle of the visitors locker room here at Heinz Field before the Bengals went out and buried once and for all the Wild Card demons of last Jan. 8.

“Not that we played bad, but it just wasn’t clean,” said Anderson after the Bengals 28-20 victory fashioned in the fourth quarter. “And to still win, that’s when you know you’re making progress as a team and not just a team of individuals.”

The 3-0 Bengals tossed some dirt on the reeling 1-2 Steelers when they cashed two fumbles into 14 points in the middle of the fourth quarter that turned a 17-14 downer with the Bengals punting and eight minutes left in a grim game into 28-17 euphoria 57 seconds later.

“In the playoffs we were barely down (in the fourth quarter) and I think a lot guys including myself let emotions get the best of them,” said Houshmandzadeh, who scored the two touchdowns. “I think you learn. You learn. Everybody learns.”

Back in January, the Bengals let the yammering Steelers get to them in blowing a pair of 10-point leads after Pittsburgh's hit shelved quarterback Carson Palmer for the year with a devastating knee injury and wide receiver Chad Johnson peeled the paint off the walls with a halftime explosion because he had only caught two passes.

But this time Palmer engineered the fifth fourth-quarter comeback of his career and while the Steelers were penalized for excessive celebrating after their go-ahead touchdown and taunting after safety Mike Logan leered over long snapper Brad St. Louis following the Bengals’ final punt, Cincinnati calmly overcame:

Six sacks, the most Palmer has been dumped in his career and the most the Bengals have allowed since the Ravens pasted Jon Kitna six times on Dec. 7, 2003.

Three turnovers and Palmer’s second interception of the day that led to the Steelers’ go-ahead touchdown on running back Willie Parker’s one-yard run on fourth down to make it 17-14 with 5:43 left in third quarter.

The Steelers’ 170 rushing yards, the most the Bengals have allowed in a division game since they gave Pittsburgh 221 yards back on Oct. 23 in Pittsburgh’s 27-13 victory.

Running back Rudi Johnson’s 47 yards on 19 carries. Johnson, the AFC’s leading rusher coming in, had ripped off at least 97 yards in his last five AFC North games.

Just one catch from Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson, his lowest output in the Marvin Lewis era. It’s the first time he hasn’t caught at least two balls in a game since he got blanked by the Buccaneers on Sept. 29, 2002 in Akili Smith’s last Bengals appearance, a week after Johnson had one against Atlanta.

But the Bengals erased it all by recovering two fumbles within 50 seconds of the fourth quarter and Palmer hooking up with Houshmandzadeh twice within 54 seconds. Fittingly it was Houshmandzadeh who made the leaping, one-handed juggling grab for the last score (a 30-yarder over cornerback Deshea Townsend) because it was he who had told the team he felt badly for losing his cool against the Steelers in the playoffs and that he had learned it’s never over.

“I like the maturity on this team,” Anderson said. “I’ve been here 11 years and seen us when we weren’t very mature and worry about things we shouldn’t worry about.

“(The Steelers) unraveled us last season. They’re a team that plays good football and talks to you at the same time.”

Indeed, Palmer urged his guys in that fourth quarter to quit playing the Steelers’ game when he told the offense to shut up.

“They’re the Pittsburgh Steelers. They’re the defending world champions and a great football team and part of their mystique is they’re an intimidating team and a talking team,” Palmer said. “At the end of games we’ve caught ourselves talking. My message was just shut up and play. We don’t need to talk to them or tell them how good we’re playing. ... I think we’re a crafty team not to get into that game jawing back and forth. Some guy does and other guys grab him and pull him aside.”

Palmer saluted Johnson for keeping his cool. It was the sight of Palmer on the training table back in January that caused Johnson to crumble. After the game Sunday, instead, Johnson interviewed fellow wide receivers Houshmandzadeh and Chris Henry on “Chad’s Corner” on Fox 19 after they stepped up to grab Palmer’s four touchdown passes.

“Maturity,” said Johnson, who had warned he wouldn’t know how he would respond until an adverse day like this for him. “Last year in the playoff game I was frustrated and I went off. This year same situation … and I didn’t make a sound.”

Johnson had the one catch for 11 yards, but Anderson said he saw him hang with his blocking (“he didn’t complain”) and stick his helmet into the fray.

“I think Chad has grown up. He used to let things frustrate him and get in his head,” Palmer said. “I also think he knows there are going to be games he has nine catches for 140 yards and two touchdowns. I think he knows the ball is going to come to him. If not this week, then the next week or the next four weeks. I think he’s grown up and matured a lot.”

In his postgame news conference, head coach Marvin Lewis said it was the lessons that the Steelers taught them back on Jan. 8 as well as their trip to the Super Bowl title that helped along what happened Sunday.

“There were a lot of negatives,” Lewis said. “And we were able to overcome it with a lot of negatives.”

Right guard Bobbie Williams looked at Anderson’s shovel on a table in the locker room and agreed that it had been the classic “shovel game.” A game where the Bengals didn’t look up from digging no matter how bad it got. Anderson had gone to the Paul Brown Stadium maintenance department back before the Bengals upset the unbeaten Chiefs in Lewis’s first season and got the shovel, and it still makes big trips.

“One for the books,” Williams said.

Even though Palmer said he played badly, Anderson thought his four touchdown passes were a fitting symbol of what kind of team this is.

“We’ve got a bunch of fighters. We’ve got some flashy guys, but the core of the team is rock-solid guys,” Anderson said. “Even the flashy guys ... for (Palmer) to come back how he came back, there was something spiritual about it. We needed a rock. That’s the kind of team we have. He fought back the same way this team is always coming back.”

Palmer said he didn’t have vengeance on his mind. He just wanted to get another AFC North road win under his belt. Anderson thought the Bengals finally had cut the moment down to size, acknowledging that the first game against Pittsburgh last season and the Wild Card game had been too big for them.

The talk at the hotel Sunday morning had been that while this was a big game, what would you call the Patriots next week, and Tampa Bay after that, and Baltimore twice and ...

“It’s a tough ride; there are a lot of big games like this,” Anderson said. “When we looked at the schedule for this season it was, ‘Come on NFL. Good dog.’ If you said in April we’d be 3-0 and Carson was back playing, they’d say, ‘Are you’re crazy?’ ”

On Sunday, the Bengals didn’t go crazy. Just cool.

WVRed
09-25-2006, 05:33 PM

Yep, and like it or not, we still have the toughest schedule in the league. We face the Patriots, they get the Bills. We play the Colts, they play the Titans. The Ravens could easily get more breaks than us because of their schedule, although the tell-all game will be this week against Denver. If the Bengals win next week against the Pats and the Ravens lose to the Broncos, it will look like a one trick pony in the AFC North.

Its also easy to look back three weeks into the season and say Tampa is a bad team as well. After all, when the two played, the standings were 0-0 and the Bucs the year before made the playoffs while the Ravens did not, but I digress.

BuckWoody
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
And here's the cherry on top of our Bengals' sundae:
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/2006/1002_large.jpg

max venable
09-26-2006, 05:03 PM
I was just getting ready to start a new thread about this week's cover and then I saw that this thread had been bumped...I figured it was because of the new cover.

How cool is that? Second Sports Illustrated cover in just a few months.

max venable
09-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Here's an updated Bengals SI cover history:
http://i.cnn.net/si//si_online/covers/images/2006/1002_thumb.jpghttp://i.cnn.net/si//si_online/covers/images/2006/0529_thumb.jpghttp://i.cnn.net/si//si_online/covers/images/1989/0807_thumb.jpghttp://i.cnn.net/si//si_online/covers/images/1989/0116_thumb.jpghttp://i.cnn.net/si//si_online/covers/images/1981/1214_thumb.jpghttp://i.cnn.net/si//si_online/covers/images/1968/0812_thumb.jpg

WMR
09-26-2006, 05:53 PM
And here's the cherry on top of our Bengals' sundae:
http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/2006/1002_large.jpg

My new background!!! :evil: :laugh: :evil: :laugh:

redsfan30
09-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Great looking cover!!

Who Dey!

max venable
09-27-2006, 09:04 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2006/pr/subs/siexclusive/09/26/nfl.bensteel1002/t1_bensteel.jpg
This pic is from this week's SI.

Look how high off the ground TJ is. Is that sick or what?

Falls City Beer
09-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm sure Wayne will have the Reds humming along like Lewis's Bengals next year. :p:

traderumor
09-28-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm sure Wayne will have the Reds humming along like Lewis's Bengals next year. :p:The Bengals missed the playoffs in year 2, as well, another 8-8 :p: Perhaps you didn't read what bitter Bengals fans were saying about Marvin after year 1, or even year 2 (although the criticism was decreasing), but I did, and folks were posting then about Marvin in the same way that folks like you are posting about Wayne now.

Falls City Beer
09-28-2006, 05:00 PM
The Bengals missed the playoffs in year 2, as well, another 8-8 :p: Perhaps you didn't read what bitter Bengals fans were saying about Marvin after year 1, or even year 2 (although the criticism was decreasing), but I did, and folks were posting then about Marvin in the same way that folks like you are posting about Wayne now.

The difference is: I'll be right.

traderumor
09-28-2006, 05:06 PM
The difference is: I'll be right.Yea, that's what those others thought, too. Of course, its not a real hard stance to take, seeing it is a 50/50 shot. Really going out on a predictive limb there.

Falls City Beer
09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Yea, that's what those others thought, too. Of course, its not a real hard stance to take, seeing it is a 50/50 shot. Really going out on a predictive limb there.

Uh. You're the one making comparisons to Lewis. In your mind, it's clearly not a 50/50 shot. It's a leadpipe cinch.

My point is to say, rightly, that what Marvin Lewis has done is nothing short of miraculous, considering how awful the franchise was when he took over. His getting them to competition as quickly as he did is nothing short of a masterstroke. Your saying, on the other hand, that Wayne will see similar results in the same time frame is what I contend with; the Reds that he inherited weren't in as bad a shape as Marvin's Bengals, and it's absolutely positively going to take more than next season to see playoff caliber results from the Reds. I'd say the Reds have an outside shot at contention in 2008, but every last thing is going to have to go right.

WMR
09-28-2006, 05:29 PM
i.e. No more getting taken out to the woodshed by Bowden or any other GMs.

I think people continue to downplay just how badly Krivsky has put us behind the eight-ball heading into this off-season by squandering what could have been two very valuable trading chips.

traderumor
09-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Uh. You're the one making comparisons to Lewis. In your mind, it's clearly not a 50/50 shot. It's a leadpipe cinch.

My point is to say, rightly, that what Marvin Lewis has done is nothing short of miraculous, considering how awful the franchise was when he took over. His getting them to competition as quickly as he did is nothing short of a masterstroke. Your saying, on the other hand, that Wayne will see similar results in the same time frame is what I contend with; the Reds that he inherited weren't in as bad a shape as Marvin's Bengals, and it's absolutely positively going to take more than next season to see playoff caliber results from the Reds. I'd say the Reds have an outside shot at contention in 2008, but every last thing is going to have to go right.Well, McFly, you've completely befuddled me with that retort. "I'll be right" must not be any sort of prediction of future events, whereby those events either will or will not transpire. But the consolation, at least you finally made an attempt at explaining your reasoning for opposing my Marvin/Wayne analogy made weeks ago in another thread that you trumped prior to this with the same profundity: "I'm right."