PDA

View Full Version : A team of firstbasemen

RedsBaron
09-21-2006, 06:50 AM
Scott Hatteberg has been a pleasant surprise as the Reds regular firstbaseman this season. He's replaced Sean Casey's production at a fraction of the cost. However, he will be 37 years old next season, so the Reds probably shouldn't count on him repeating his 2006 season.
Fortunately, the Reds do have an alternative at firstbase. Rich Aurilia has arguably had the Reds most productive season at the plate. While Aurilia has played several positions, at this point in his career, firstbase is probably his best position. But then, Aurilia just turned age 35, so the Reds probably shouldn't build around him either.
Then there's Adam Dunn, who will be a mere 27 next season and is coming off his third straight 40+ HR season. Dunn plays leftfield (poorly). He really should be a firstbaseman.
However there is also Ken Griffey Junior. Once a Gold Glove outfielder, Junior, who will be 37 next season, really should be playing at either a corner outfield position, or, yes, firstbase (actually DH is now his best position).
Don't forget David Ross. He's had a career year which he may not repeat. He will be 30 next year. His defensive ability at catcher has been questioned. Maybe he should play firstbase.
Then there is Eddie Encarnacion, who will be a mere 24 next year and has had a fine year with the bat. I hope his defense at third improves, because if it does not, firstbase may be his future position.
Perhaps the Reds leading hitting prospect is Joey Votto. He plays.....firstbase.
Hmmmm......maybe the Reds need a few players who can both hit and play somewhere other than firstbase.;)

mth123
09-21-2006, 07:02 AM
Then there's Adam Dunn, who will be a mere 27 next season and is coming off his third straight 40+ HR season. Dunn plays leftfield (poorly). He really should be a firstbaseman.

Scares me anywhere on defense. I don't think its as easy for an OF to play first. Catching ground balls and taking throws is an entirley different set of skills. Guys who can catch and slow down generally make the transition well because it hides their worst weakness (lack of Speed/Range). Guys who can't catch the ball are another story. I think Dunn is better off in LF where he doesn't have to catch the ball as much.

. However there is also Ken Griffey Junior. Once a Gold Glove outfielder, Junior, who will be 37 next season, really should be playing at either a corner outfield position, or, yes, firstbase (actually DH is now his best position).

Griffey would be good at 1b I think. See above.

.Don't forget David Ross. He's had a career year which he may not repeat. He will be 30 next year. His defensive ability at catcher has been questioned. Maybe he should play firstbase.

His problem seems to be taking throws on plays at home. He would scare me at 1B. We have no idea if he can catch a groundball and he doesn't seem to be able to take throws very well.

Perhaps the Reds leading hitting prospect is Joey Votto. He plays.....firstbase.

This is the best choice IMO. I'd keep 1B clear for him.

Hmmmm......maybe the Reds need a few players who can both hit and play somewhere other than firstbase.;)

Absolutley.