PDA

View Full Version : Notes: Reds host top pick Stubbs

OnBaseMachine
09-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Notes: Reds host top pick Stubbs
Outfield prospect tours ballpark, takes in game Saturday
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Consider this weekend a taste that should whet Drew Stubbs' appetite to reach the Majors in a few years.

Stubbs -- the Reds' 2006 first-round pick in the June First-Year Player Draft -- and his family were guests of the club at Great American Ball Park on Saturday. The outfielder toured the facility and met several players in the home clubhouse.

On Friday, he took in the game between the Reds and Cubs with his parents, Rick and Katherine, and his grandfather, Bob Allday.

"Everything is very impressive," Stubbs said. "It's something to definitely look forward to as a player when I get here."

Stubbs, who turns 22 on Oct. 4, signed quickly in June and completed his first pro season this summer with rookie-level Billings. The outfielder's numbers -- a .252 average with four homers, 24 RBIs and 19 steals -- weren't eye-popping, but he still considered it a successful first season.

"Rather than going in with a statistical goal or anything like that, I just wanted to go in and realize that this just a start to my pro career and get my feet wet," said Stubbs, who selected out of the University of Texas. "You're not going to make the big leagues in your first summer. I just took it for it was worth and enjoyed myself."

Stubbs will head to Sarasota, Fla., on Sunday to attend the Reds' Instructional League. He said he planned to work mostly on his hitting.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060923&content_id=1678143&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

joshnky
09-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Somebody needs to tell Drew that history (and RZ) says that he is essentially a guaranteed bust and might as well quit now.;)