PDA

View Full Version : Wow, what in God's name happened to the Cardinals?

GOREDSGO32
09-25-2006, 11:21 PM
I see today the Reds are 3.5 back after conceding the season?? Whoa. What happened there?

redsfan4445
09-25-2006, 11:23 PM
just think if the Reds didnt collapse on the west coast the Reds are in 1st right now!! :(

they are still alive as the Cards keep losing... we can PRAY for a Miracle!!

gilpdawg
09-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Astros still have a shot, a long shot, but a shot nonetheless. Reds are a pipe dream. They are playing well because the pressure's off.

redsupport
09-25-2006, 11:24 PM
the astros wont lose

mth123
Injuries to edmonds, eckstein, Mulder and Izzy to start. If it weren't for Chris Duncan's emergence there may not be a .500 team in the central.

gilpdawg
just think if the Reds didnt collapse on the west coast the Reds are in 1st right now!! :(

they are still alive as the Cards keep losing... we can PRAY for a Miracle!!

Yeah that west coast trip is gonna sting until spring training. If only.....

GOREDSGO32
09-25-2006, 11:28 PM
It will take a Doug Flutie fluke for the Reds to somehow get in. I'm hoping for .500 personally. And I'll be honest, since that road trip I haven't kept up with the Reds at all other than looking at a box score here and there. Baseball in September dies with me pretty much, especially since the Reds are out of contention way before then usually.

vaticanplum
09-25-2006, 11:42 PM
It would be utterly hilarious if the Cardinals, after losing the World Series in 2004 and the NLCS in 2005, both years in which they were a great team, finally took home the trophy this year.

So hilarious that I had not in fact considered the possibility until this very moment.

jmac
09-25-2006, 11:43 PM
It will take a Doug Flutie fluke for the Reds to somehow get in. I'm hoping for .500 personally. And I'll be honest, since that road trip I haven't kept up with the Reds at all other than looking at a box score here and there. Baseball in September dies with me pretty much, especially since the Reds are out of contention way before then usually.

keyword= "usually":thumbup:

EKURed
09-25-2006, 11:44 PM
No matter the pipe dream, they are still mathematically alive. That's more than the mighty White Sox can say!!!

Phhhl
09-25-2006, 11:47 PM
It would be absolutely horrible if Houston got it. If the division ends in a dead heat between three teams, wouldn't the Reds be guaranteed a spot because of their division record?

redlegs7089
09-26-2006, 12:01 AM
wow if only the reds didnt go through that rugged stretch if they were only about 2 games better theyd have a great shot

Will M
09-26-2006, 12:19 AM
their 2004 & 2005 teams & you will see they are MUCH worse.
Notice their SP, after Carpenter they don't have much.
The replacement parts they added this year didn't work out.
their farm system hasn't been producing.
Edmonds got old.
etc

The Reds had their chance but they blew it.
The reason the Reds blew it - they are just frustratingly average

Chip R
09-26-2006, 12:26 AM
It would be absolutely horrible if Houston got it. If the division ends in a dead heat between three teams, wouldn't the Reds be guaranteed a spot because of their division record?

I don't think so. If the wild card came out of the East or West, I think there would be a 3 way playoff between the Central teams. If the wld card came out of the Central, the Reds would win the division because of best head to head record against HOU and StL and the latter two would have a playoff for the wild card spot. However, I could be wrong.

vaticanplum
09-26-2006, 12:33 AM
If the wld card came out of the Central, the Reds would win the division because of best head to head record against HOU and StL and the latter two would have a playoff for the wild card spot. However, I could be wrong.

Alright, I don't know about anybody else, but I've decided that this is the thread to which I will now officially cling.

Anybody with a cool spreadsheet program care to tell me what the odds of this are?

pedro
09-26-2006, 01:11 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43777&highlight=cardinals

pedro
09-26-2006, 01:16 AM
It's really unbelievable that the Reds are even still in it mathematically. The Cards have really tanked. Much more than I thought they would.

redsmetz
09-26-2006, 05:32 AM

I understand your feeling, but I have to say, it was sweet to hear Jr.'s bomb yesterday. Almost like a dream. My jaw literally dropped when Marty called it.

redsmetz
09-26-2006, 05:34 AM
I see today the Reds are 3.5 back after conceding the season?? Whoa. WTF happened there?

I can't say that the Reds conceded. I do think they recognized that it was a complete long shot for them to still make it. That long shot certainly is still long, but not quite now.

What some have seen as conceding, has been as much about two outfielders being out and Shortstop not being settled. It's still not, but I'd love to finish the season on a winning note.

My father-in-law in Missouri has been convinced all year the Cardinals are trying to give away the division. He'll take the Reds over the Astros, if only to make us happy.

redsmetz
09-26-2006, 05:36 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43777&highlight=cardinals

If folks didn't get a chance to look at this, try to make the time. I remember when Pujols went on the DL for three weeks. He was still leading in homers and, I think, RBI's after three weeks. With the exception of Duncan come up (which someone else noted), this offense has essentially been Albert Pujols all season.

Blimpie
09-26-2006, 02:07 PM
It's really unbelievable that the Reds are even still in it mathematically. The Cards have really tanked. Much more than I thought they would.Werd. Should any team be allowed into the postseason which has already had three or four 6+ game losing streaks in a season?

Matt700wlw
09-26-2006, 02:51 PM
How crazy would a 1 game playoff be on Monday....between the Astros and the Reds?

Reds Fanatic
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
How crazy would a 1 game playoff be on Monday....between the Astros and the Reds?
If the Cards are still involved and either the Reds or Astros are within a half game on Monday then the Cards are going to have to play a makeup game with the Giants Monday before a one game playoff could be played on Tuesday.

registerthis
09-26-2006, 03:19 PM
It's really unbelievable that the Reds are even still in it mathematically. The Cards have really tanked. Much more than I thought they would.

I'd say that the Reds have no lawful right to even be mathematically "in" the playoff race, but then again Houston doesn't either, and the Cards have only been a shade or two above horrid.

Pitiful yet exciting, isn't it?

Matt700wlw
09-26-2006, 03:23 PM
If the Cards are still involved and either the Reds or Astros are within a half game on Monday then the Cards are going to have to play a makeup game with the Giants Monday before a one game playoff could be played on Tuesday.

Forgot about their (possible) makeup game...

traderumor
09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
The '73 NL East. And then, well do I have to even mention the NLCS? :thumbdown

Matt700wlw
09-26-2006, 03:39 PM
This should, if nothing else, be an interesting week....

Red Leader
09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Kurt Warner fumbles too much.

KronoRed
09-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Kurt Warner fumbles too much.

Leinart ain't ready though

Gizmo
09-26-2006, 03:49 PM
With 6 games to go, we still have to lose 4, have St. Louis win 4, or some combination of the 2 in order to be eliminated. That means we're still in it at least until tomorrow night (the last Wednesday of the season), no way we ever expected this at any point in the preseason nor most of the season (save June-mid Aug.). Putrid and amazing at the same time.

Blimpie
09-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Leinart ain't ready thoughDennis Green thinks he might be...I heard that he is strongly considering starting Leinart this weekend versus a very ticked off Atlanta defense.

Welcome to the NFL pretty boy...:thumbup: