PDA

View Full Version : Mark DeRosa

redsupport
10-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Would be a good acquisition

RedsManRick
10-04-2006, 01:51 PM
DeRosa would be an upgrade over our current options, but will be 32 and coming off a career year offensively (.813 OPS). He actually hit just as well on the road as at home and played solid defense. I'd be game if he was relatively cheap, but he's probably not a long term answer and may get a sizable offer somewhere.

cumberlandreds
10-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Why would we want DeRosa when we have Castro locked up for two more seasons? ;)

redsupport
10-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Excellent riposte, in fact as well as Castro we should "lock up" Batista and other previous Cuban leaders

TOBTTReds
10-04-2006, 02:27 PM
I had a post before mentioning this.

I don't think (atleast I hope to the highest of heavens) that Castro will be a starter. I would like to see us deal or try to sign a 2B or SS. Mark DeRosa is an interesting guy, a lot like Aurilia hitting wise with a little less pop, but more doubles (but who know at our park). I don't know about his fielding though. I would like a good fielding middle IF, and DeRosa played some OF this year and lately (= no range?).

I would also like to see us make a run at Soriano despite the ginormous price tag. He would have 60 HR's here....atleast. He played in a huge hole in the Earth and hit about 50 this year, unreal. I would deal with his awful D for his bat.

schroomytunes
10-04-2006, 06:14 PM
I may be crazy but I think we will see Castro as our starting ss next year. I dont think its all that bad though for these reasons. 1) excellant middle infield defense, and 2) it frees up money to sign other more needful positions, i.e. closers, 1 starter, CF, and a backup inf. I would much rather have these acquistions instead:

1)Danys Baez-closer who wants out of ATL after the Wickman resigning.
2)Juan Pierre-Cf with speed, defense,a glove and a true leadoff man, and makes us solid up the middle.
3)Ted Lilly-Lefty starter who can help man the backend of the rotation and gives us an above average rotation depending on lizard.
4)Craig Counsell-becomes another inf option with the likely departure of Aurilia.
--all can be aquired for @ 15 million more than 2006 payroll

So the 2007 Reds would be:
lineup:
1)cf pierre
2)2b Phillips
3)lf dunn
4)3b EE
5)rf Griffey
6)c ross
7)1b Hatteberg/Votto
8)ss castro
bench players-valentin(c) Freel(utl) Counsel(utl) Hatteberg/Votto(1b) Denorfia(of)

starters- Arroyo, Harang, Lilly, Milton, Lizard
bullpen-Baez,Bray,Majewski,Coffey,Belisle,Claussen,Cormier

IMHO we will trade Larue for middle prospects and include cash to get it done, and Clayton may be resigned instead of Counsell. As far as trading Dunn I would hold out till his value is higher. I like this team better cause the defense is better, we have good starting pitching, and we have addressed the bullpen woes. and the top of the lineup is speed, followed by power, followed by contact hitters. That's a good combination. just my thoughts

UC_Ken
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
2)Juan Pierre-Cf with speed, defense,a glove and a true leadoff man, and makes us solid up the middle.

Improving CF defense would be my top priority if I were the Reds this offseason. However I want no part of Pierre and his putrid OPS. We would be much better off with a Deno- Freel platoon. I really want Andruw Jones if he is truly on the market.

edabbs44
10-04-2006, 07:49 PM
DeRosa would be an upgrade over our current options, but will be 32 and coming off a career year offensively (.813 OPS). He actually hit just as well on the road as at home and played solid defense. I'd be game if he was relatively cheap, but he's probably not a long term answer and may get a sizable offer somewhere.

Ugh...went to my rival HS and I was never a big fan of his. I would have a tough time trying to root for him.

mth123
10-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Pass unless he's cheap ($1 Million per year at 2 years tops). Lots of 2B options out there if you are going to pay anything.

TOBTTReds
10-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Pass unless he's cheap ($1 Million per year at 2 years tops). Lots of 2B options out there if you are going to pay anything.

Find me a 2B that hits like DeRosa that is available not named Soriano ($$) or Durham (would want a lucrative deal as well).

TOBTTReds
10-04-2006, 11:55 PM
2) it frees up money to sign other more needful positions, i.e. closers, 1 starter, CF, and a backup inf. I would much rather have these acquistions instead

A good starting SS/2B I feel is more important than a backup IF in my opinion. And a very good SS is more important than a closer.

I don't mean to be picking on you really, but doesn't a true leadoff hitter have to get on base? .330 obp does not cut it. We have Freel to lead off, even if it is for 130 games or so. His .363 obp is much more appealing, all though not great, it isn't anemic.

jnwohio
10-05-2006, 12:16 AM
One problem with this whole thread.....

Krivsky and Narron are both on the record very strongly that their preference is to leave Phillips at 2B. On his last day of the season radio appearnce, Krivsky summed up this situation by saying, that his inclination was to "go out and get a SS".

They have both left a little wiggle room; but it is clear they prefer to leave Phillips at 2B and bring in a SS.

pedro
10-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I may be crazy but I think we will see Castro as our starting ss next year. I dont think its all that bad though for these reasons. 1) excellant middle infield defense, and 2) it frees up money to sign other more needful positions, i.e. closers, 1 starter, CF, and a backup inf. I would much rather have these acquistions instead:

3)Ted Lilly-Lefty starter who can help man the backend of the rotation and gives us an above average rotation depending on lizard.
4)Craig Counsell-becomes another inf option with the likely departure of Aurilia.

lineup:
1)cf pierre
2)2b Phillips
3)lf dunn
4)3b EE
5)rf Griffey
6)c ross
7)1b Hatteberg/Votto
8)ss castro
bench players-valentin(c) Freel(utl) Counsel(utl) Hatteberg/Votto(1b) Denorfia(of)

IMHO we will trade Larue for middle prospects and include cash to get it done, and Clayton may be resigned instead of Counsell. As far as trading Dunn I would hold out till his value is higher. I like this team better cause the defense is better, we have good starting pitching, and we have addressed the bullpen woes. and the top of the lineup is speed, followed by power, followed by contact hitters. That's a good combination. just my thoughts

yeah, I think you're crazy. :)

vaticanplum
10-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Ugh...went to my rival HS and I was never a big fan of his. I would have a tough time trying to root for him.

Are you from Bergen County?

edabbs44
10-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Are you from Bergen County?

Born and raised.

mth123
10-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Find me a 2B that hits like DeRosa that is available not named Soriano ($$) or Durham (would want a lucrative deal as well).

He'll be 32. He never had a season approaching his 2006 level even in the minors. Signing him would be adding another player who had an "above his level" season in 2006 and banking on him in 2007. Don't need any more of those. Phillips, Hatteberg, and Ross are enough.

At 2B I'd rather have Belliard, Kennedy or Loretta - all available free agents. At least there is a better idea of what is obtained in return for the free agent dollars spent. Heck if we're going to move Phillips to SS, then keep Richie for a couple years and spot in Freel a few times per week before bringing in DeRosa.

I will say that DeRosa may be able to play SS, which as other posters have said, seems to be a better fit with the plan to leave Phillips at 2B. If he can play SS, he may be one of a very few options out there. DeRosa isn't a long term answer and will probably cost more than he is worth given his 2006. (The idea is to get upside or at least a probability of maintaining the level the contract is based on, not sign a player at his ultimate peak at dollars based on the peak.) If moving Phillips isn't an option then options are limited at SS.

mth123
10-05-2006, 06:55 AM

lineup:
1)cf pierre
2)2b Phillips
3)lf dunn
4)3b EE
5)rf Griffey
6)c ross
7)1b Hatteberg/Votto
8)ss castro

I wouldn't do any of that. No interest at all in Pierre. He's no better option than Deno. Only bring in a CF if he adds Power and legit production. Lead-off types we already have (Deno, Freel). Baez has been awful. Low risk, low dollar gamble for the middle of the bullpen with the other dreck? ok. Name him closer before spring training? no. Pay him anything more than $1 Million for 1 year? He** no. Lilly? Probably the best move on here if he can be had for less than $5 Million per year for no more than 3 years (no way IMO). To paraphrase what his current GM said about our over-priced LH starter "he's a HR pitcher and we play in HR park." I think he'll cost Milton money and we don't really need another of those. Counsell? Lets hope it doesn't come to that. If it does he plays ahead of Castro IMO.

I won't say you're crazy and you are trying to address all the needs (except more productive hitting). Its just that you are proposing spending $15 Million on these 4 guys which is probably more than just Pierre and Lilly will cost and not really upgrading in CF or the Pen. Lilly is better than the #5s we (or most teams) have been putting out there and is an OK rotation starter, but he'll cost big bucks IMO and GABP is not a good fit for him. I like Counsell as a player but he is no answer. As I have said in other threads, if we go into 2007 with Castro at SS, depending on Hat, Ross and Phillips to repeat, and banking on Deno to emerge (or replacing him with a low power/low OBP contact guy), this team will struggle to score 650 runs. These guys won't all tank, but you have 5 potential black holes there (6 if Griffey is hurt or his decline continues). If 3 really become black holes, which is very possible, this team is doomed.

vaticanplum
10-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Born and raised.

:laugh:

I totally know what high school you went to. Be afraid, be very afraid.