PDA

View Full Version : Misc. roster moves

Danny Serafini
10-05-2006, 02:47 PM
From Marc's blog:

Grant Balfour was claimed off waivers by the Brewers
Sun-Woo Kim, Chris Michalak and Dewayne Wise cleared waivers and were outrighted to Louisville

Falls City Beer
10-05-2006, 02:50 PM
From Marc's blog:

Grant Balfour was claimed off waivers by the Brewers

Well, so much for that, eh?

Chip R
10-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Sun-Woo Kim, Chris Michalak and Dewayne Wise cleared waivers and were outrighted to Louisville

Hard to believe... that they all cleared waivers. :p:

redsupport
10-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Michalak pitched an enormous game yet is not worth enough to keep. Obviously the latter maneuver is right, amazingly the organization couldn't have come up with a better candidate to pitch than that dross, that flotsam, that abject discard

NJReds
10-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Well, so much for that, eh?

So we payed for his rehab...for what?

westofyou
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
So we payed for his rehab...for what?

Snake Eyes!!

Most rehab rows are hedge bets.

redsupport
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I still cant believe Belisle would not have been better than michalak to start the game against the marlins/ What kind of organization starts a guy who is so bad that three days after the season the guy is released, unprecedented lunacy

redsmetz
10-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Snake Eyes!!

Most rehab rows are hedge bets.

Exactly! A roll of the dice, see if he pans out. I think the hope was that he'd clear waivers and be available at the minor league system. All of these moves clear up 40 man slots (hence the DFA's). Looks like standard housecleaning prepping for free agency and possible Rule V moves.

Chip R
10-05-2006, 03:42 PM
I still cant believe Belisle would not have been better than michalak to start the game against the marlins/ What kind of organization starts a guy who is so bad that three days after the season the guy is released, unprecedented lunacy

Seems like they have always projected Belisle as a reliever. I don't know if he'd make a decent starter or not but he has more of a pedigree than those other guys. I was a big Belisle fan till last year when he blew that game against the Astros and Clemens. I just thought he kind of lost his nerve against his hero in that game. If there's one thing I don't want in a pitcher is a guy who wets his pants if he's facing his childhood idol.

flyer85
10-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Well, so much for that, eh?a well used roster spot.

dabvu2498
10-05-2006, 04:47 PM
a well used roster spot.

60 day DL count against the 40 man roster???

flyer85
10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
60 day DL count against the 40 man roster???they had to put him on the roster and punt someone when they claimed him.

camisadelgolf
10-06-2006, 04:41 AM
When they signed Balfour, they designated Josh Hancock for assignment.

westofyou
10-06-2006, 10:08 AM
When they signed Balfour, they designated Josh Hancock for assignment.

Ahh yes, he of the 1.56 WHIP and 5.06 post AS game ERA... his coach turned into a pumpkin I guess.

redsupport
10-06-2006, 10:30 AM
So you think Hammond et al were better than Hancock. Cormier better than Hancock, Majewski better than Hancock. You think it was wise to let Hancock go. First half games that are blown count toward the standings also

westofyou
10-06-2006, 10:32 AM
So you think Hammond et al were better than Hancock. Cormier better than Hancock, Majewski better than Hancock. You think it was wise to let Hancock go. First half games that are blown count toward the standings also

I think at the end of all their careers Josh Hancock will be the the one envying all those other guys careers.

That's what I think.

redsupport
10-06-2006, 10:46 AM
How about this year, not some future speculation, it does not matter that Hammond had a good year with the Braves, he blew multiple games earlier in the year.

registerthis
10-06-2006, 11:10 AM
How about this year, not some future speculation, it does not matter that Hammond had a good year with the Braves, he blew multiple games earlier in the year.

77 IP of 1.21 WHIP baseball looks quite a bit better than some of the tripe the Reds threw out on the mound this year, but if Hancock had stayed with the club and put up the same numbers he did for the Cards Redszone would have eaten him for lunch, particularly his second half plunge.

redsupport
10-06-2006, 12:07 PM
If he put those numbers up in the first half the team would have made the playoffs, there were plenty of blown performances by the "bullpen" in the first half, enough failures to go around, I could easily list 5-10. And what did they gain by releasing him, some stock in a jenny Craig program