PDA

View Full Version : Friday Playoff thread

Chip R
10-06-2006, 05:24 PM
No score between the A's and Twins in the bottom of the 1st.

NJReds
10-06-2006, 05:30 PM
The Yankees - Tigers game should be subtitled "Anger Management 2"

Between Randy Johnson and Kenny Rogers, you've got 80 years of surly pitchers. Bad night to be a water cooler (or an autograph hound) in Detroit.

NJReds
10-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Chavez homers to put the A's ahead, 1-0

Matt700wlw
10-06-2006, 05:50 PM
I hope this series goes 5...I like this series all around -- but I don't think it's going to happen...

blumj
10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I feel really terrible for Radke.

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Twins are coming back now down 4-2 but what looks like a bad call at the plate just cost them a run.

Matt700wlw
10-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Oh my...Big Sweat in the game again

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2006, 07:41 PM
A's score 4 in the 7th and are about to sweep with an 8-2 lead.

MrCinatit
10-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Simply wow. A's up 8-2 in the 7th - looks like a sweep.
The Twins were one of my favorites (sorry, I don't pick Yankees). The Twins have become the Braves of the last decade - they have had great success the last few years, but just cannot get out of that first round.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 08:08 PM
A's win 8-3.

I'm happy for the A's; though Minnesota was my pick to win, I like both these teams. But this had better not be a postseason full of sweeps. October baseball is to me what acorns are to squirrels: I need to fill up on as much as possible to get me through the winter.

redsrule2500
10-06-2006, 09:00 PM
haha I picked Twins to win the whole thing.

A's come out with the shocking sweep, congrats to them.

oneupper
10-06-2006, 09:05 PM
haha I picked Twins to win the whole thing.

A's come out with the shocking sweep, congrats to them.

I had A's in 5 I think. Something wasn't right about the Twinkies.

But then again, I picked the Padres over the Cards and Dodgers over the Mets.

blumj
10-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I can't believe they lost that game without using Nathan. How do you let your team get eliminated while your best available pitcher just watches?

GAC
10-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Twin's Hunter really picked an optimum time to stink it up.

C'mon Detroit!

The A's always seem to hit a wall in the post-season - it's called the Yankees. ;)

MrCinatit
10-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Twin's Hunter really picked an optimum time to stink it up.

C'mon Detroit!

The A's always seem to hit a wall in the post-season - it's called the Yankees. ;)

The same wall the Twins always seemed to hit.
However, lately, the Yankees have their own wall. It's called their ego.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 09:12 PM
THERE IS A FLIPPING FOOTBALL GAME ON THE RADIO. For the love of all things holy, it is the PLAYOFFS. Where has America gone.

I purposely stayed home tonight to listen to this. Please, does anybody know of anywhere online where I can watch/listen to the game?

Matt700wlw
10-06-2006, 09:14 PM
THERE IS A FLIPPING FOOTBALL GAME ON THE RADIO. For the love of all things holy, it is the PLAYOFFS. Where has America gone.

Contracts.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Ok, a friend recommended TVU player to me, but I have a Mac and I can't find a TVU download for macs. Computer people? Baseball people? Help please! Ahhh there's no one here because it's Friday night! Ahhhh!!!

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Casey singles in a run and the Tigers take a 1-0 lead.

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Ok, a friend recommended TVU player to me, but I have a Mac and I can't find a TVU download for macs. Computer people? Baseball people? Help please! Ahhh there's no one here because it's Friday night! Ahhhh!!!

This is a list of all the ESPN radio affliliates that should be carrying the game.

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/affiliatebyshow?show=M

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Polanco singles in a run. 3-0 Tigers.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 09:54 PM
This is a list of all the ESPN radio affliliates that should be carrying the game.

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/affiliatebyshow?show=M

Thank you. But none of them work for me :cry: 1530 has been the ESPN affiliate through the early part of these playoffs, but they've carried neither game today.

I'm very upset about this. Sitting at the computer staring at cbs sportsline is not how I planned on spending this evening. Something about this is very wrong. You just shouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on cable or XM radio to catch a playoff baseball game.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 09:57 PM
The bright side of this for the Yankees is that Kenny Rogers has a horrible track record against them. In the course of two games in 2002, he gave up 14 runs to them in 9.1 innings; in 2004 he allowed six runs in four innings and hasn't faced them since. This is a tougher lineup too, obvs.

I'm still steaming.

blumj
10-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Thank you. But none of them work for me :cry: 1530 has been the ESPN affiliate through the early part of these playoffs, but they've carried neither game today.

I'm very upset about this. Sitting at the computer staring at cbs sportsline is not how I planned on spending this evening. Something about this is very wrong. You just shouldn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on cable or XM radio to catch a playoff baseball game.
$10 for mlb.com audio?

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2006, 09:58 PM

If no one is carrying it in your area the only way online to listen is the buy that 9.95 postseason package on MLB.COM

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 10:01 PM
$10 for mlb.com audio?

I'm resigned. Broke and resigned. But since a viable option has been presented to me, I will at least stop complaining about it.

blumj
10-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm resigned. Broke and resigned. But since a viable option has been presented to me, I will at least stop complaining about it.
check PMs

WMR
10-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Ernie Harwell doing the PBP on ESPN right now.

Now this is a guy who knows how to let a game breathe.

Someone should grab George Grande by the scruff of the neck and sit him in front of a television.

Heath
10-06-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm riveted by Ernie Harwell---woy needs a kleenex right now.

Sorry VP, - I really like to see the Tigers win, they need it.

Falls City Beer
10-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I hope the Tigers stuff the Yankees.

I know it's an unpopular sentiment, but I find this incarnation of the Yankees to have the piquancy, depth, and savor of Kiss Alive II.

Bloated and dull.

OnBaseMachine
10-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Harwell sounded amazing right there. Very, very funny guy. I loved when he was talking about his music, and Joe asked him how many musical hits he had...Harwell joked that he had more no-hitters than Nolan Ryan. Good stuff.

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:05 PM
How can an ump standing 3 feet from a ball that hits the chalk not be able to make the call? If he can't make that call, what purpose does he serve at all? And how does a SECOND ump not that much further away who's standing there staring at it ALSO miss the call? I don't get it.

Am I the only one who thinks the overall quailty of umpiring in the major leagues is attrocios?

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:06 PM
I was never the biggest fan of Sean Casey's game, but I always loved the guy. I'd love to see him do well in these playoffs.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm kind of shocked that Johnson is still in there. I have a feeling of dread.

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Why do you like the Yanks, vp? Are you from NYC?

I know Puffy is from there, so I can totally understand him. Just curious!

Reds Fanatic
10-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Casey doubles in another run. Now 5-0 Tigers.

Falls City Beer
Hear that?

That's the sound of the Yankees' pitching staff getting un-pantsed.

MWM
Yeah, I'm scratching my head as to how the Unit was still in the game.

redsfan30
Good for Sean!

WMR
10-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nothing is sweeter than seeing the Yanks getting their butts kicked in the playoffs.

CASEY!!! GET EM!!!

WMR
10-06-2006, 11:19 PM
http://www.rageagainsttheright.com/uploaded_images/tek-727047.jpg

Super_Barry11
10-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Good for Sean!

Yay!! I'm so excited!! I've got to be annoying my entire apartment complex with all my yelling and cheering... My kitten, Casey, is scared to death. She doesn't seem to understand the fact that she was named after #21!! ;)

Falls City Beer
10-06-2006, 11:20 PM
I'll say it: I think the Reds had a better starting staff this season than the Yankees.

blumj
10-06-2006, 11:22 PM
http://www.rageagainsttheright.com/uploaded_images/tek-727047.jpg
How come Bronson never hits anyone anymore? He was always good for starting brawls when you needed one.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Why do you like the Yanks, vp? Are you from NYC?

I know Puffy is from there, so I can totally understand him. Just curious!

I'm from Ohio and just moved back after ten years away. Went to school just outside New York City and then lived in the city for several years (on and off). so the better part of my adult life has been there.

But that's actually not why I'm a fan...that's actually quite a lovely story really, indirectly related to the Reds, which I'd be happy to tell anyone who's interested when I'm not crying my eyes out.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:29 PM
I'll say it: I think the Reds had a better starting staff this season than the Yankees.

Mussina, Wang, Johnson, Wright (who had a pretty good season) < Harang, Arroyo, Milton and the merry men?

I can even see the argument for bullpen, but starting staff?

WMR
10-06-2006, 11:30 PM
How come Bronson never hits anyone anymore? He was always good for starting brawls when you needed one.

Who on the Reds would get fired up enough to even be willing to fight?

Freel for sure. lol.

Maybe Rich?

EdE, Dunn, Griff, B.Phil, Ross... they all seem super laid-back.

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey SuperBarry, Kristin is going back to Broadway in "The Apple Tree" in November. She'll be co-starring with Malcolm Gets. I've heard great things.

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:34 PM
I think I'd rather see the Yankees win the World Series than the Cards.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:35 PM

Well don't get your freaking hopes up. the yankees want to ensure that you have no hope left in the world.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:36 PM
oh my god.

This is a nightmare.

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Well don't get your freaking hopes up. the yankees want to ensure that you have no hope left in the world.

Of all the teams in the playoffs, the Cards are the ones I'd hate to win the most. The Yankees are probably second, but I don't have the same level of hatred for the Yanks as most people, although I do have some.

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Don't worry, vp. I really think the Yanks still win this series.

I don't see any way the Tigers win this series against the Yankees.

:evil:

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Don't worry, vp. I really think the Yanks still win this series.

I don't see any way the Tigers win this series against the Yankees.

:evil:

:cry:

I'm not making light. This is a pain in my gut.

edit: That was not directed at you. That was just me being sad.

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:40 PM
vp, I don't know if you were around a couple of years ago, but there's a history behind my above comment.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:41 PM
vp, I don't know if you were around a couple of years ago, but there's a history behind my above comment.

What is it? I am still a relative newbie.

My friend (Yankees fan born and bred) just called me distraught and said "I feel like a Braves fan."

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:44 PM
My Yankees board has officially melted down.

Falls City Beer
10-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Wright really didn't have a very good season. And while Mussina had some good peripherals, he was pretty hit-fortunate. And gave up a reasonable number of dingers. And to say Johnson had a pretty crummy season by his standards (or really by several standards) is being nice.

Wang was good, but kind of a one-trick groundball pony.

On balance, I'd say both Harang and Arroyo outpaced any pitcher on the Yankee starting staff by a respectable margin.

The truly fundamental difference in the pitching of the Reds and Yankees was Mariano Rivera.

Put Rivera on the Reds, and we're talking NLCS matchups: Reds vs. Mets.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Rogers out, Zumaya in.

I give credit where credit is due. He was unbelievable tonight.

WMR
Kenny Rogers sure pitched himself a whale of a game tonight.

Handled baserunners very adeptly in--almost?--every inning.

MWM
FCB, facing AL lineups, especially the east ones, is much different than facing the pathetic NL. I really think that masde a much bigger difference this year than in any year I can remember. There just wasn't a lot of good NL offenses.

WMR
10-06-2006, 11:54 PM
How many pitchers in ALL of baseball can throw 102 mph right now?

MWM
10-06-2006, 11:54 PM
It's hard to believe Junior hit that Grand Slam off Zumaya. He's awesome.

Falls City Beer
10-06-2006, 11:56 PM
FCB, facing AL lineups, especially the east ones, is much different than facing the pathetic NL. I really think that masde a much bigger difference this year than in any year I can remember. There just wasn't a lot of good NL offenses.

I'm accounting for that and I still feel Arroyo and Harang had better seasons than any Yankees' starter.

RFS62
10-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Man, listening to Ernie Harwell was a rare treat. What a great announcer.

Sean knocks out the big unit. Wow.

And I can't stand Kenny Rogers. But I have to admit, he pitched a masterpiece.

MWM
10-07-2006, 12:06 AM
RFS, I was going to ask you if you were disapointed with how chicken boy pitched tonight. He's one the few players you have real disdain for.

RFS62
10-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Give the devil his due.

He pitched the game of his life tonight. And you could just see his thought process watching him out on the mound.

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Wright really didn't have a very good season. And while Mussina had some good peripherals, he was pretty hit-fortunate. And gave up a reasonable number of dingers. And to say Johnson had a pretty crummy season by his standards (or really by several standards) is being nice.

Wang was good, but kind of a one-trick groundball pony.

On balance, I'd say both Harang and Arroyo outpaced any pitcher on the Yankee starting staff by a respectable margin.

I disagree. the top two are pretty comparable. Wang had an amazing season; so did Harang. Mussina and Arroyo both had largely great seasons marred by one long stretch of mediocrity. I think this all evens out.

Then we're down to the bottom three. Johnson did have a crummy season by his standards, but he pulled off 17 wins in a tougher division and league. Wright had some very good starts; his ending stats are evened out. So not the greatest. But I can't be convinced that the season from these two can equal the motley crew of the Reds' bottom three: Ramirez, Milton, Lohse, whoever.

I'm halfway to drunk and despair by this point, and I have a sad rally cap on. A friend called to give me a radio feed just in time for me to hear the Yankees lose. Rock.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 12:14 AM
I disagree. the top two are pretty comparable. Wang had an amazing season; so did Harang. Mussina and Arroyo both had largely great seasons marred by one long stretch of mediocrity. I think this all evens out.

Then we're down to the bottom three. Johnson did have a crummy season by his standards, but he pulled off 17 wins in a tougher division and league. Wright had some very good starts; his ending stats are evened out. So not the greatest. But I can't be convinced that the season from these two can equal the motley crew of the Reds' bottom three: Ramirez, Milton, Lohse, whoever.

I'm halfway to drunk and despair by this point, and I have a sad rally cap on. A friend called to give me a radio feed just in time for me to hear the Yankees lose. Rock.

Yeah, you're right that the bottom of the Yankees' rotation was better. But I deeply disagree that Mussina and Wang were as good as Harang or Arroyo.

RFS62
10-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Ha!

I just saw a sign that said "Billy Crystal Sucks"

:laugh:

MWM
10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Wang had kind of an odd line this year. He gave up more hits than innings pitched, walked a decent amount of guys, and struck out next to no one. He didn't give up a lot of HRs, but his ERA was much lower than it should have been.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Ha!

I just saw a sign that said "Billy Crystal Sucks"

:laugh:

That is brilliant.

MWM
10-07-2006, 12:17 AM
the better sign would have been "City Slickers Sucks."

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah, you're right that the bottom of the Yankees' rotation was better. But I deeply disagree that Mussina and Wang were as good as Harang or Arroyo.

Wang had a 3.63 ERA and a 19-6 record. His Ks are low but that's just due to his style of pitching -- he also doesn't walk a lot of hitters. I don't care if he's almost entirely a sinkerballer; he does it better than just about anybody, and the AL hitters don't seem to have figured it out yet. And Moose was on the way to one of his best seasons ever until he got hurt.

I don't want to belittle Arroyo or especially Harang. But Wang and Mussina consistently pulled off wins against a tougher league. The initial assertion was against the entire pitching staff, and I still believe that the Yankees' is slightly underrated.

I don't know why I'm defending this team right now.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Wang had a 3.63 ERA and a 19-6 record. His Ks are low but that's just due to his style of pitching -- he also doesn't walk a lot of hitters. I don't care if he's almost entirely a sinkerballer; he does it better than just about anybody, and the AL hitters don't seem to have figured it out yet. And Moose was on the way to one of his best seasons ever until he got hurt.

I don't want to belittle Arroyo or especially Harang. But Wang and Mussina consistently pulled of wins against a tougher league. The initial assertion was against the entire pitching staff, and I still believe that the Yankees' is slightly underrated.

I don't know why I'm defending this team right now.

I realize I said "the whole staff." That's incorrect on my part; sorry for the bait and switch.

But way too many metrics point to the two Reds' starters as being better. And almost certainly better going forward.

Let me put it this way: I'd much prefer the pitching matchups of the Reds in this configuration in a short series than the Yankees': Arroyo, Harang, Belisle vs. Mussina, Wang, Johnson/Wright.

But the point's utterly moot as the Yankees' offense is about a trillion times better than the Reds'.

Cyclone792
10-07-2006, 12:32 AM
I was never the biggest fan of Sean Casey's game, but I always loved the guy. I'd love to see him do well in these playoffs.

That's exactly my sentiments.

Two hits tonight for Sean, including a blast to the wall in right center for a double. That double he hit gave me flashbacks to what he was doing for us all season in 1999. In fact, seeing Casey the entire game tonight gave me flashbacks to 1999. He'll show excited emotion on the field when things are going well, just like 1999, but he hasn't had much to be excited about on the field these past few years until this season with Detroit.

And what can be said about Kenny Rogers. That was an absolute gem he threw tonight, and I'm glad I decided to stay home tonight and watch it.

Falls City Beer
10-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Let me just say that if the Yankees are out of it, then I'm an agreeable, friendly person.

RFS62
10-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Yeah, what a strange path this year has been for Casey.

Traded from the town that annointed him "the Mayor", back to his home town.

Then traded to a contender, and now, finally, in the playoffs ('99 barely counts).

One of the great guys to ever play the game, a guy who completely "gets it" as to how lucky he is to be there and gives back with no thought of recognition or reward.

I'm pulling for the Tigers all the way.

pedro
10-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Let's hope the Tigers can finish it off tomorrow.

OnBaseMachine
10-07-2006, 12:43 AM

I would too.

I don't mind the Yankees, I actually even like them a little bit. With that being said, I would still rather see a Tigers-A's ALCS.

Cedric
10-07-2006, 05:18 AM
That's exactly my sentiments.

Two hits tonight for Sean, including a blast to the wall in right center for a double. That double he hit gave me flashbacks to what he was doing for us all season in 1999. In fact, seeing Casey the entire game tonight gave me flashbacks to 1999. He'll show excited emotion on the field when things are going well, just like 1999, but he hasn't had much to be excited about on the field these past few years until this season with Detroit.

And what can be said about Kenny Rogers. That was an absolute gem he threw tonight, and I'm glad I decided to stay home tonight and watch it.

Totally agree with this post.

Sean Casey is the kind of guy that is perfect for playoff baseball. Patience is still a huge virtue, but you have to be willing and able to hit pitches early in counts. Playoff baseball is a different animal than the regular season. Just look at the Yankees and their inability to wait out certain at bats. Gotta come up hacking at times.

GAC
10-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Rogers 1st win over the Yanks since 1993 - and it was a BIG one.

Arod is his typical post-season self.

Mutaman
10-07-2006, 12:49 PM
I think the Yankees need to spend some more money. The problem is you can't buy intestinal fortitude.

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 01:46 PM
I think the Yankees need to spend some more money. The problem is you can't buy intestinal fortitude.

And the highest paid player in the game, Arod, is horrible when it matters...

Again.

Poor Yankees.....:)....you got what you paid for....go Tigers.

MWM
10-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Arod's playoff line is .305/.393/.534/.927

This is ARod's 9th playoff series, totalling 31 games, and he's been damn good in all of them but 3 of the series'. The infamous series against Boston in '04 he was on fire the first 4 games, but went cold the last 4. But so did the entire Yankee team. He's been bad in this series, last year against the Angels, and in the '97 ALDS.

In three league championship series' (17 games he's played, he put up an OPS of 1.024.

Just as a comparison, Jeter has played in 7 ALCS' (41 games), and his OPS is .744. That's right, most people think Jeter has always performed well in the playoffs. And while I have loads of resepct for him, his overall performance in these series' isn't that spectacular. His World Series OPS is .809. That's pretty good in my book, but not as well as most people probably think. Where he has performed the best has been in Divisional Series'.

In the 2004 collapse against Boston, Jeter hit .200/.333/.233 for an OPS of .566. Arod was at .894. IN the Aaron Boone walk off series the yea before, Jeter was .233/.281/.400 for an OPS of .681.

In the 2001 Series loss to the D'Backs Jeter was horrible hitting .148 with an OB of .179 and SLG of .259. That's an OPS of .438.

Arod's overall post-season OPS is higher that Jeter's at .926 to .842.

The point is not that Jeter isn't a great player and hasn't come up huge in huge situations, it's that anyone can lay an egg at any time. It happens even to the greatest of players.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, plays well in every post season situation. ARod's struggles are magnified because of his reputation. Sure he's not performed in this series, but outside of Jeter that first game, no one has played well for the Yanks.

I'm no fan of ARod at all. I think he's a primadonna who's more worried about his image than anything else. But my opinion of the guy change the fact that he's one of the best baseball players who ever played. He gets plenty of hype because of the money he makes, but I don't think most fans appreciate just how good he really is. And he's performed just fine in important situations throughout his career.

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Arod's playoff line is .305/.393/.534/.927

This is ARod's 9th playoff series, totalling 31 games, and he's been damn good in all of them but 3 of the series'. The infamous series against Boston in '04 he was on fire the first 4 games, but went cold the last 4. But so did the entire Yankee team. He's been bad in this series, last year against the Angels, and in the '97 ALDS.

In three league championship series' (17 games he's played, he put up an OPS of 1.024.

Just as a comparison, Jeter has played in 7 ALCS' (41 games), and his OPS is .744. That's right, most people think Jeter has always performed well in the playoffs. And while I have loads of resepct for him, his overall performance in these series' isn't that spectacular. His World Series OPS is .809. That's pretty good in my book, but not as well as most people probably think. Where he has performed the best has been in Divisional Series'.

In the 2004 collapse against Boston, Jeter hit .200/.333/.233 for an OPS of .566. Arod was at .894. IN the Aaron Boone walk off series the yea before, Jeter was .233/.281/.400 for an OPS of .681.

In the 2001 Series loss to the D'Backs Jeter was horrible hitting .148 with an OB of .179 and SLG of .259. That's an OPS of .438.

Arod's overall post-season OPS is higher that Jeter's at .926 to .842.

The point is not that Jeter isn't a great player and hasn't come up huge in huge situations, it's that anyone can lay an egg at any time. It happens even to the greatest of players.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, plays well in every post season situation. ARod's struggles are magnified because of his reputation. Sure he's not performed in this series, but outside of Jeter that first game, no one has played well for the Yanks.

I'm no fan of ARod at all. I think he's a primadonna who's more worried about his image than anything else. But my opinion of the guy change the fact that he's one of the best baseball players who ever played. He gets plenty of hype because of the money he makes, but I don't think most fans appreciate just how good he really is. And he's performed just fine in important situations throughout his career.

That's all well and good, but it's the whole "what have you done for me lately" thing....and, A-rod, instead of letting his talent do that talking, he's whined, cried, and worried about what people think about him....

Now the Yankees backs are against the wall....again....and mr. image hasn't done what he was paid to do (so far)...again...

dsmith421
10-07-2006, 02:43 PM
And the highest paid player in the game, Arod, is horrible when it matters...

That isn't true.

However, if the Yankees are eliminated by Detroit, I'd say it's 50/50 that George wants A-Rod out. Do we have the juice to make a deal for him? Could we send Arroyo and Griffey for A-Rod plus cash, then use Dunn as bait for a starting pitcher?

I can't believe that a scant year ago I would have been pissed if we traded Kearns for Wang and Cano. Especially given what we eventually got for him. Ugh.

Matt700wlw
10-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Maybe "horrible" was a bit much....but he'd be the second coming if he came here.

Not saying I'd complain.....

vaticanplum
10-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Let me put it this way: I'd much prefer the pitching matchups of the Reds in this configuration in a short series than the Yankees': Arroyo, Harang, Belisle vs. Mussina, Wang, Johnson/Wright.

I don't agree...but not by much. And admittedly, I can't help but let Rivera play into my thoughts as well.

I definitely think that Harang and Arroyo were as good as any 1-2 in the majors this year. Which is why I thought the Reds would have actually stood a chance in a short playoff series. A small chance given everything else, but as good as, say, the Cards or some of the others. And the Cards are not doing too badly.

As for A-Rod...there are nine batters on a team. How many of them scored for the Yankees last night?