PDA

View Full Version : nows our chance to get a great manager

swingman24
10-08-2006, 02:08 PM
joe torre is expected to get fired so WE DONT NEED TO PICK HIM UP, he didnt win anythin this year wit a great team, Joe Girardi is the guy we need, he almost went to the playoffs with a team of rookies, they respected him and loved him, plus he is firey something the reds need, hes a perfect fit i think

George Anderson
10-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Sorry but Joe Girardi has managed one year and while he did a great job I would much rather take my chances on a guy like Torre who has a long, experienced and successful track record.

Having said all this I still see Narron going nowhere.

mth123
10-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I think they should offer Griffey Sr. the job. This would be conditional on him dealing with the situation that could develop when he tells his son that he can't play CF anymore.

swingman24
10-08-2006, 02:35 PM
but you have to admire what joe girardi did with rookies... i mean what do you think he could accomplish with veterans and i just don't think joe torre looks like he wants to manage anymore... but Sr. is also a good idea

mth123
10-08-2006, 02:46 PM
but you have to admire what joe girardi did with rookies... i mean what do you think he could accomplish with veterans and i just don't think joe torre looks like he wants to manage anymore... but Sr. is also a good idea

The Sr. remark was a joke. Sorry I didn't use the smiley.

fadetoblack2880
10-08-2006, 03:11 PM
may as well face it guys, one more year with narron...

Strikes Out Looking
10-08-2006, 08:37 PM
may as well face it guys, one more year with narron...

meaning we are all Charley Brown trying to kick the football.

lo ryder
10-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Ive never been in a clubhouse, but I feel most rookies had better respect the manager. Better than being on the buses back in AAA.

I agree though that Girardi did an excellent job with what he had this year.

Will M
10-08-2006, 09:02 PM
The haters need to move on

KGJR30
10-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Some people seem to forget Narron is under contract for another year.

TeamBoone
10-09-2006, 12:49 AM

So is Dunn... so is Griffey... so is LaRue... so is Milton.

Your point would be............ ?

jnwohio
10-09-2006, 12:59 AM

Which was granted by the current owner and GM.

And you know I think maybe Torre's time is passed for a team like the Reds anyway.

I saw him going out to the mound in one of the games versus the Tigers; and, he walks like an old man (Not that I am a spring chicken myself). And I thought how time flies.

At this point I don't think he is a man for a team that is building and possibly even rebuilding. He is a man for a team just like the Yankees; a man to pull together a bunch of vets. The Yanks have not come close to replacing Clemens or Pettitte at the level they were when the Yanks dominated; and that is in large measure why they no longer dominate in playoff series. That is no fault of Joe Torre.

reds1869
10-09-2006, 03:36 PM
I agree, Dusty Baker would be a great fit. ;)

Johnny Footstool
10-09-2006, 03:45 PM
The Marlins had a ton of raw talent this season -- way more talent than the Reds. All Girardi did was show them the ropes of MLB. I think there are a number of managers who could have done that, and some who would have done it better (Jim Leyland comes to mind).

registerthis
10-09-2006, 05:36 PM
The Marlins had a ton of raw talent this season -- way more talent than the Reds. All Girardi did was show them the ropes of MLB. I think there are a number of managers who could have done that, and some who would have done it better (Jim Leyland comes to mind).

I dunno, Johnny, I don't think anyone--even the most educated and well-trained scouts and baseball thinktanks--had the Marlins anywhere near a .500 record this year. Yes, the Marlins had talent--raw talent that could have either propelled them into an unlikely playoff spot or plunged them 30 games under .500. I don't recall a team that had more rookies performing this well at the same time in quite a while. How much credit for that goes to Girardi, I really don't know. But to say that the Marlins' season wasn't all that unexpected is misleading, I think.

Matt700wlw
10-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Girardi led the Marlins to an unexpected better finish...

Jerry Narron led the Reds to an unexpected better finish....

And I am in no way opposed to brining in a new manager...just be careful.