PDA

View Full Version : Dunn trade idea

dunner13
10-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Dunn to the astros for Jason Hirsh and Brad lidge.

This gives us a top young starter, comparable to Homer. Hirsh should be ready to be in the rotation right out of spring training. He throws mid 90's. Would give us two of the top young pitchers in baseball for years to come. Lidge gives us a top closer. He has shown inconsistencies in the past but away from houston hopefully he would settle back down and dominate. Houston loves dunn and needs his offense. This would allow us to forget about zito, padilla or anyone else. With the money we already have to spend plus what we save by dealing dunn we could easily add the offense to replace him.

guttle11
10-09-2006, 05:24 PM

This gives us a top young starter, comparable to Homer. Hirsh should be ready to be in the rotation right out of spring training. He throws mid 90's. Would give us two of the top young pitchers in baseball for years to come. Lidge gives us a top closer. He has shown inconsistencies in the past but away from houston hopefully he would settle back down and dominate. Houston loves dunn and needs his offense. This would allow us to forget about zito, padilla or anyone else. With the money we already have to spend plus what we save by dealing dunn we could easily add the offense to replace him.

They could very well lose Clemens and Pettitte this offseason. They are not trading Hirsh.

SultanOfSwing
10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
IMO, you are overpaying big time. Lidge can likely be had for much less. Hirsh is a nice prospect, but not a can't miss (and nowhere near Homer-level). I just don't see Houston as a good fit to fill the Reds' holes.

pedro
10-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I'd prefer it if the Reds traded Dunn out of the division, if at all.

SultanOfSwing
10-09-2006, 05:32 PM
I have seen proposals from Houston fans and writers that had them giving up a lot more for a slugger. Taveras, Hirsh, and Scott were mentioned along with Qualls and Lidge. And Dunn seems to top their dream slugger list. Just my read on it.

justincredible
10-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Trade Dunn to Houston and he haunts us 15 times a season. I don't want that at all.

ChatterRed
10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Dunn will only haunt...........HIMSELF. He is terrible.

I read the Houston message boards and they want him badly. Let's ask for the world in return. I'd gladly trade him.

Highlifeman21
10-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Dunn will only haunt...........HIMSELF. He is terrible.
I read the Houston message boards and they want him badly. Let's ask for the world in return. I'd gladly trade him.

This is the rant that just won't go away for this offseason. Trading Dunn for anything but top of the line starting pitching is the worst move we could make as an organization. The problem is that we won't get top of the line starting pitching for Adam Dunn, thus his value is highest as a Cincinnati Red. What's so hard to comprehend about that concept?

Natty Redlocks
10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
This is the rant that just won't go away for this offseason. Trading Dunn for anything but top of the line starting pitching is the worst move we could make as an organization. The problem is that we won't get top of the line starting pitching for Adam Dunn, thus his value is highest as a Cincinnati Red. What's so hard to comprehend about that concept?

It's an opinion, that's what.

And the problem with not trading Dunn is that we already have another high-priced complementary player in Griffey whose value is highest as a Red. This offense needs more consistency and this team needs more money to spend. Hoping this is the year Dunn morphs into David Ortiz isn't a great plan.

I will say that anyone who wants to trade Dunn should ask themselves what they would give up for Dunn if he wasn't already here.

guttle11
10-09-2006, 07:11 PM
It's an opinion, that's what.

One that can be proven wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt by facts. Look at the facts. There's no room for a discussion.

Now, saying Dunn's not as good as he could be is a valid topic for discussion. Saying he "sucks", is just ignorant and/or stupid.

Natty Redlocks
10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
One that can be proven wrong beyond a shadow of a doubt by facts. Look at the facts. There's no room for a discussion.

Now, saying Dunn's not as good as he could be is a valid topic for discussion. Saying he "sucks", is just ignorant and/or stupid.

Just want to make it clear I'm not the one saying Dunn sucks or is terrible. My stance is that what he provided this past year isn't impossible to replace, at a lower price and with better defense, through trade and/or free agency. The question is whether he'll have a better year next year, and whether that chance is worth giving up what we could have gotten for him in trade.

Slyder
10-09-2006, 09:31 PM

Astros wont trade Hirsch with Pettitte and Clemens' futures in the air, plus what is the hard on with Dunn for Lidge? Lidge was a Gas can trying to fight a forest fire. HE SUCKED like most of the guys we ran out there. You want to get Lidge? Make them take Milton, LaRue, or Griffey and garbage. Everyone keeps saying we dont want to overspend for someone at the top of the list but want to pay a guy who had an ERA of 5.28 nearly 4 million dollars? We need to quit trying to find other peoples rejects because you 99 times out of 100 end up with the same crap the other team wanted rid of, let alone give up someone THAT DOES HAVE VALUE like Dunn for him IN ANY DEAL.

Krusty
10-10-2006, 09:46 AM
How about Dunn and Milton to Detroit for RHP Bonderman, RHP Rodney and OF Craig Monroe?

SultanOfSwing
10-10-2006, 10:19 AM
How about Dunn and Milton to Detroit for RHP Bonderman, RHP Rodney and OF Craig Monroe?
That would be great for us, but Detroit would take on $17 million in salary. I can't see them doing that.

registerthis
10-10-2006, 10:51 AM
That would be great for us, but Detroit would take on $17 million in salary. I can't see them doing that.

They would also be taking on Milton, and there is no way you could assign a monetary value for havign to do that. Comerica's fences aren't as far away as they used to be.

Milton needs a slogan, I think. Eric Milton: No Ballpark Can Contain Him.

TeamSelig
10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
No way does Detroit do that deal.

Not sure if the Astros would do that deal or not... I'd definitely do this though:

Dunn, prospect for Hirsh, Lidge, Taveras

SultanOfSwing
10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
No way does Detroit do that deal.

Not sure if the Astros would do that deal or not... I'd definitely do this though:

Dunn, prospect for Hirsh, Lidge, Taveras
That is pretty realistic, although we may be able to get more out of that deal (or not include a prospect). The Astros (from what I have read) have been willing to offer that same package + another player (I believe Qualls or Scott) for Crawford. IMO, and it seems that of most GM's (especially the Astros') Dunn is worth more than Crawford.

2001MUgrad
10-10-2006, 01:46 PM
I just hope at some point Dunn will improve. He is the same player if not a little worse than he was when he broke it. The lack of improvement concerns me.

SultanOfSwing
10-10-2006, 01:52 PM
I just hope at some point Dunn will improve. He is the same player if not a little worse than he was when he broke it. The lack of improvement concerns me.
I understand what you mean. We would all certainly love to see Dunn improve and turn into the absolute monster it appears he can be. That said, if he never improves, I will gladly settle for 40HR, 100R, 100RBI, 100BB, .375OBP every single year. It kind of puts in perspective what a special player Dunn is when that is disappointing to many.

Jim
10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
I'd hate to lose Dunn. If you light a fire under his a$$, he'll improve. There's a lot of team, like the Cubs and Astros, that want him and I'd hate to have him beating up the Reds next season.