PDA

View Full Version : Cody Ross for Pile O' ???

Slider
10-13-2006, 10:44 PM
5/26/06

Traded OF Cody Ross to the Florida Marlins for a player to be named later or cash.

Was a PTBNL ever announced?

Is it Pile O' ?

If a PTBNL and/or cash have not been finalized...when is the deadline?

Thanks for your help...:help:

redsmetz
10-14-2006, 06:30 AM
5/26/06

Traded OF Cody Ross to the Florida Marlins for a player to be named later or cash.

Was a PTBNL ever announced?

Is it Pile O' ?

If a PTBNL and/or cash have not been finalized...when is the deadline?

Thanks for your help...:help:

I found a website, sonsofsamhorn.net with this explanation. The deadline will be by the end of Novemeber.

Player to be Named Later

In many trades, one or both of the teams may agree to send "a player to be named later". A specific player must be agreed upon within six months of the initial trade; if this does not occur, the two teams may agree upon a cash amount to be sent instead. Often, the teams will agree to a list of players who can be used as the PTBNL; such an agreement would happen before the trade has been announced, and once the trade is final, the team receiving the PTBNL may take any of the players from the list within six months.

If a team receives a PTBNL, the player must not have been playing in the league to which he is being sent at the time of the trade (e.g. if the Red Sox receive a PTBNL, the player may not have been playing in the American League at the time of the trade). This rule was instituted after Harry Chiti was traded for himself in 1962 (he was traded from the Indians to the Mets for a PTBNL, which turned out to be himself). As a result, PTBNL's are usually minor leagues. Sometimes, teams will use players on the disabled list as players to be named so as to avoid having to get special permission from the commissioner's office.

Slider
10-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the explanation redsmetz...

Makes me wonder why they waited this long...the player they favor is in the fall instructional league...injured...?

Mario-Rijo
10-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I read something back in July or so that we got 500K for him. I have looked and looked but haven't found it since.

redsmetz
10-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the explanation redsmetz...

Makes me wonder why they waited this long...the player they favor is in the fall instructional league...injured...?

I hadn't thought about someone in the Fall League, but that might make some sense. Hmm, I wonder who the Marlins have out in Arizona?

I just checked the Fall League site and here's who Florida has there:

Scott Tyler, RHP
Adam Bostick II, LHP
Scott Nestor, RHP
Matt Yourkin, LHP

Brian Cleveland, SS
Gaby Sanchez 1B (although regular season, he was a Catcher)

Brett Carroll, RF

Nobody really was setting it on fire and looks like they're all there learning, although Sanchez's numbers were decent at GCL and SAL levels, but he only hit .182 in the FSL. Looks like he's in the AFL expanding his playing positions.

mth123
10-15-2006, 09:19 PM
If we got Scott Tyler it would be a good deal and all the hissing and booing at Krivsky for trading Ross would have to be taken back. Hard to believe its him.

Tyler was drafted by the Twins in the 2nd round of 2001. Hmmm?

chicoruiz
10-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Hard to believe the Marlins would send a guy to the Instructional League and then turn around and make him a PTBNL...

redsmetz
10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Hard to believe the Marlins would send a guy to the Instructional League and then turn around and make him a PTBNL...

This is a valid point. I'm still not convinced that this transaction has finalized and I'd be puzzled by why they'd take less than the $50 Grand waiver fee. I emailed Marc to ask him if he knew anything but haven't heard back.

dougdirt
10-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Redsmetz, let us know if Marc responds back.