PDA

View Full Version : Reds 2007 Closer:Homer Bailey?

Willy
10-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Wondering what everyone thought about the idea of Homer as the Reds closer in 2007.

This would allow the Reds to have Homer plug a major hole on the pitching staff without expecting him to throw 200 + innings.

Thoughts

redsfan30
10-14-2006, 10:27 AM
No.

RedsBaron
10-14-2006, 10:27 AM
I'd rather keep Bailey on track as a starting pitcher. A possible number one starter is much, much harder to find than a relief pitcher. If Bailey doesn't make the majors until 2008, so be it.

mth123
10-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I think its scary. Following the Papelbon path and making him a starter in 2008 I assume. Need to determine if he can pitch on back to back days or if that will hurt his arm. The reds went back and forth with Charlton and it set him back for a while. Moving certainly did nothing to help Danny Graves. Its easier for a starter to closer than a short reliever to start IMO but I wouldn't take a risk for a year of closing. I also think he still needs to build up his innings to become the starter we want and closing would derail that progress. He needs to pitch a combined 160 innings or so between AAA and the Majors in 2007.

If you are talking about a permanent move, no way.

blumj
10-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I think its scary. Following the Papelbon path and making him a starter in 2008 I assume. Need to determine if he can pitch on back to back days or if that will hurt his arm.
Papelbon's 25 years old and closed in college, pitches a few too many back to back games, his mechanics get a little off from the fatigue, and the next thing you know, he feels a "pop" in his shoulder and he's shut down and preparing to convert back to starting again so they can keep him on a shoulder strengthening program during the season. Bailey will be 21(?), and is one of the most valuable commodities in all of baseball? Scary is exactly the right word.

joshnky
10-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Papelbon's 25 years old and closed in college, pitches a few too many back to back games, his mechanics get a little off from the fatigue, and the next thing you know, he feels a "pop" in his shoulder and he's shut down and preparing to convert back to starting again so they can keep him on a shoulder strengthening program during the season. Bailey will be 21(?), and is one of the most valuable commodities in all of baseball? Scary is exactly the right word.

And we don't yet know how the Papelbon experiment will turn out. Will the fact that he spent a year at closer set him back in his development as a starter? The Papelbon closer experiment cannot yet be labeled a good more by the Sox until we see how he does next year as a starter.

blumj
10-14-2006, 11:37 AM
The Papelbon closer experiment cannot yet be labeled a good more by the Sox until we see how he does next year as a starter.
In fact, I don't see how anyone can consider it a good move right now at all, since they're already being forced to undo it. If it had gotten them into the playoffs, then at least it would have that going for it, but you could just as easily make the case that it was one of the things that kept them from making the playoffs, and it may have put him at unnecessary risk. He sure was good at it, though, and you could tell he had the time of his life while it lasted. But, in hindsight, if they could go back in time and choose all over again, I wouldn't want them to do it.

dougdirt
10-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Not a smart move at all.

RollyInRaleigh
10-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Keep him starting.

traderumor
10-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I really don't see any change in axiom to start out your best arms as a starter until they prove otherwise. Whether it be closer, setup or middle relief, relievers are always failed starters. Filling out the rotation should always be the priority.

reds44
10-14-2006, 12:09 PM
It depends how his pitches develop.

I'd like to keep him as a starter. The Sox are moving Papelbon to the rotation next year as are the Cards with Wainright.

redsmetz
10-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Operative word - Patience! Keep him a pitcher, for heaven's sake. why mess him up?

Willy
10-14-2006, 01:31 PM
I would only have him in the pen for a year. The Braves had a lot of success breaking their young starters in by putting them in the pen for a year before they turned them lose in the rotation.

jimbo
10-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Absolutely not. The risks far outweigh the rewards. Let the kid develop into a major league starter and leave it at that.

Natty Redlocks
10-14-2006, 04:08 PM
I would only have him in the pen for a year. The Braves had a lot of success breaking their young starters in by putting them in the pen for a year before they turned them lose in the rotation.

In long relief, maybe; not as closers. My hope is the Reds find a really good longer-term solution at closer this offseason; didn't I read somewhere that Krivsky is the one who told the Twins they should get Joe Nathan from the Giants? He should do that again.

Highlifeman21
10-14-2006, 06:59 PM
It depends how his pitches develop.

I'd like to keep him as a starter. The Sox are moving Papelbon to the rotation next year as are the Cards with Wainright.

Exactly.

Until he can develop his change and his curve, he's still going to have that massive manlove for his fastball. It's a good fastball, don't get me wrong, but when the other team knows what's coming more than 65% of the time, you're very hittable.

2001MUgrad
10-15-2006, 11:48 AM
No way.

Honestly I say that Homer starts the year in AAA. If he has 2-5 good starts there then bring him up at that point.

Slyder
10-15-2006, 01:19 PM
If he shows he can throw at least 2 pitches at a MLB level caliber then I'd call him up and let him sit in the pen to work on the third, 1 trick ponies dont last long in the Majors and thats what he would be right now with just the Fastball.

Only way I would try him at closer is if he's out of options and hasnt "got it" as a starter in MLB. Like others have said the risk outweighs the reward.

jimbo
10-16-2006, 12:04 AM
If he shows he can throw at least 2 pitches at a MLB level caliber then I'd call him up and let him sit in the pen to work on the third, 1 trick ponies dont last long in the Majors and thats what he would be right now with just the Fastball.

If a rookie such as Bailey is still developing a 3rd pitch, he shouldn't be doing it at the major league level. Development is done at the minor league level.