PDA

View Full Version : Player contracts and trades

Ltlabner
10-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Do the extra stipulations in player contracts have any influance on the trade value of a given player?

Maybe a better way of asking it, is can a player's contract make him more difficult to trade?

I know zip about MLB contracts so this may be totally in outer space. But, we all remember the "no brown M&M's" bit from Spinal Tap. Then I remember reading that ARod's contract stipulates that he gets a hotel suite and other amenities when he travels (which sound like no big deal to me).

- do players put in wild stipulations into their contracts ?

- if a player did have a bunch of wild stipulations and perhaps a pain-in-the-butt agent, would that detract from his trade value?

LincolnparkRed
10-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Do player contracts have any influance on the trade value of a given player?

Maybe a better way of asking it, is can a player's contract make him more difficult to trade?

I know zip about MLB contracts so this may be totally in outer space. But, we all remember the "no brown M&M's" bit from Spinal Tap. Then I remember reading that ARod's contract stipulates that he gets a hotel suite and other amenities when he travels (which sound like no big deal to me).

- do players put in wild stipulations into their contracts ?

- if a player did have a bunch of wild stipulations and perhaps a pain-in-the-butt agent, would that detract from his trade value?
Normally the biggest pain with contracts is that a lot of them add another year at a high $$ figure if the player gets traded during the contracts original term.

Z-Fly
10-16-2006, 12:50 PM
I think the answer to your question is of course it can. If a player isn't worth the money/stipulations he is being paid, he becomes less valuable (ie Eric Milton). On the other side if a player is worth more than he is being paid he becomes even more valuable (ie Bronson Arroyo).

No team problably wants Eric Milton unless we eat half his contract. But Bronson is very attractive because he comes relitively cheap and pitches pretty well. Hopefully I understood what you were trying to ask there.