PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Suppan?

gobucks106
10-20-2006, 10:06 PM
After his success this postseason any chance the Reds go after him? He is a free agent after the season and is a midwest guy!

cincy09
10-20-2006, 10:27 PM
price prob just went up anyway

Highlifeman21
10-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Man I hope not.

I remember Jeff Suppan from his KC days, as well as his Boston days (both times).

I think he's personally one of the more overrated pitchers in the whole league.

Falls City Beer
10-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I'd pick him up cheap, but he's peaking right now. So he's likely to crash down next season. The Cards are getting the best out of him; whoever gives him a FA contract will be paying him dearly for past performance.

Superdude
10-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Suppan's basically been an average starter the last 4 years. We definitely need another starter next year if we want to compete, and I would gladly take Suppan, but I'm not sure I want Krivsky shelling out a big contract for a #4 starter.

OnBaseMachine
10-20-2006, 11:12 PM
No thanks.

Joseph
10-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Pass, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Always Red
10-21-2006, 07:21 AM
It all depends on the price.

He's looked better this week than anyone else the Reds have other than Harang and Arroyo. Yes, he has history of being mediocre, but he has stepped up on the big stage in October.

Isn't that what we want for the Reds?

His career stats are eerily similar to Eric Milton's (other than Suppan's been around longer), which tells me two things:
1. Don't make the mistake of paying Jeff Suppan too much, and
2. Milton might have it in him to pitch like this in October, when and if the Reds need him to.

We'll see how Suppan does this week.

mth123
10-21-2006, 08:01 AM
I like Suppan as a bottom of the rotation #4 or #5 type pitcher. The Reds have many candidates for those 2 roles (Milton, Lohse, Lizard, Belisle, Claussen and eventually Bailey) and need to spend any money that they spend on pitching to get some one for the top part of the rotation. If Suppan can be had cheaply as insurance to cover for the 3 bottom rotation pitchers coming off surgery and as a cheaper alternative to Lohse, then he is ok. If the idea is to pay him to fill a role in the 1 through 3 spots, then I look elsewhere. His numbers wouldn't look so good at GABP. He's been a HR guy most of his career. He'll be 32 next season.

Given the team's needs and its limited resources, I wouldn't give Suppan more than $2 Million per year to fill the role that he could likely fill. The Reds have options for the bottom part of the rotation. If you can get him for cheap, then Lohse needs to be traded or non-tendered. I think some one will give Suppan $5 or $6 million. I hope its not the Reds.

jmac
10-21-2006, 09:49 AM
suppan's price is going up greatly right now.
however he seems like the type of guy who would take a "hometown discount"
so i expect him to stay with stl.

LINEDRIVER
10-21-2006, 11:57 AM
The first thought that leaps to my mind is that the NY Yankees would pay him more than he's worth and for longer than he's worth.

Patrick Bateman
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
There's no need to waste money on a guy like Suppan.

I like the chances of finding internal candidates for the 4th and 5th spots of being just as effective as Suppan. Plus with his good pitching in the play-offs, you know someone will overpay for him.

Unless the Reds can pick up a guy that can put up an ERA at or below 4.00, I don't think they should pursue starting pitching in the FA market.

TeamSelig
10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
I'd take him, but only really cheap (unrealistic). Someone will overpay, probably the Cardinals or Yankees.

Chip R
10-22-2006, 09:33 PM
He's under the Dave Duncan spell, much like Weaver. He won't be as good anywhere else as he is in StL.

Z-Fly
10-23-2006, 12:46 PM
He's under the Dave Duncan spell, much like Weaver. He won't be as good anywhere else as he is in StL.

Is Dave Duncan a free agent this offseason? Maybe we can sign him. He might just be the answer to our pitching woes.

Puffy
10-23-2006, 12:58 PM

See, if you are a member of this board long enough you will get to hear Chip say something intelligent.

Well done Chip!! I expect another intelligent thing to come flowing off your keyboard in 2008.

Chip R
10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm just worried the Reds will sign "Cy" Marquis as a free agent. :eek:

Red Leader
10-23-2006, 02:21 PM
I bet Marquis would love hitting in our ballpark.

Krusty
10-23-2006, 06:38 PM
If Krivsky wants to show Reds fans the organization is serious about winning, then ownership needs to open up the pocket book and make a strong push for either Zito, Schimdt or Mussina.