PDA

View Full Version : Another Thread About the Catching Situation

camisadelgolf
10-23-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm not asking which catcher will put up the best stats. I'm basically asking, "What needs to be done to provide the Reds with the best situation from a franchise standpoint?"

dunner13
10-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Get rid of larue, let ross start. If he struggles after a month or so then let him split time with valentine. Larue makes way to much money that could be better spent on pitching. I think the production of ross/valentine would at least match if not exceed larue, so we dont need him. We do need a closer and a starter though.

Spring~Fields
10-23-2006, 11:54 AM
I wish they would be able to find a better catcher than any of the three.

Degenerate39
10-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Id rather have Ross or a better catcher

George Anderson
10-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Keep Ross for sure

If its not broke why fix it??

camisadelgolf
10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I accidentally voted for trading LaRue. I meant to pick Ross. My reasoning is that I think he and LaRue will put up pretty much the same stats next year, and we could get a lot more in a trade for Ross than LaRue.

Degenerate39
10-23-2006, 12:45 PM
I accidentally voted for trading LaRue. I meant to pick Ross. My reasoning is that I think he and LaRue will put up pretty much the same stats next year, and we could get a lot more in a trade for Ross than LaRue.

I accidentally voted for Ross and meant to pick LaRue so it balances out.

NJReds
10-23-2006, 01:00 PM
If they can trade LaRue and his $5M salary, it would benefit the team more than dumping either of the other two.

redsmetz
10-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Personally I would have preferred one more option, i.e. trade either LaRue or Ross. I know we can't keep all three, it doesn't make any sense, so I'd be open to whichever brings the most value in a trade.

SeeinRed
10-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Ross has the highest value he may ever have. He had a great season. Who knows if he'll ever be able to repeat it. If you were going to trade LaRue, the beginning of the season would have been the time to do it. Now his value is much lower. It would probably benifit the club in the future to trade Ross. If the Reds were shooting for a championship next year, then yeah, you get rid of LaRue and his contract if you can to free up some money. Considering that the Reds have too many holes to fill for that to happen, you trade Ross and look for a catcher for the future. For those of you who think that Ross is the catcher of the future, he isn't exactly young.

Redsland
10-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Sell high on Ross if you can, dump LaRue if you must.

BRM
10-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Sell high on Ross if you can, dump LaRue if you must.

That's my thought on it.

RedsManRick
10-23-2006, 03:28 PM
In terms of likely performance next year versus potential return in a trade, I trade Ross. His defense is shaky and he won't hit like that again. If you can find somebody who think he can, you move him. Redsland hit the nail on the head.

Highlifeman21
10-25-2006, 09:46 AM
If they can trade LaRue and his $5M salary, it would benefit the team more than dumping either of the other two.

While LaRue has enjoyed higher career norms than either Valentin or Ross, he does seem to be on the declining side of 32. At $5M, I don't want to watch a declining LaRue. I'd rather enjoy the Ross/Valentin platoon for under $2M per year.

Take that $3M and spend wisely Wayne.