PDA

View Full Version : Randy Wolf??

dunner13
10-24-2006, 11:43 AM
So most likely the phils are not going to resign wolf and he will be a free agent. Hes coming off an injury but has pretty good stuff. He would be a risk but its not likely that any big name starters like zito or schmidt are going to come to cincinnati. So to have a chance at getting someone good we may have to take a risk. The problem is it may require a multi year contract. So what are you willing to offer wolf - 3 years/12-15 mill? I say two years at 8 million would be a decent signing, but with the need for pitching he could get a much better deal.

Falls City Beer
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I'd pick up Wolf and Edmonds if the Cards don't pick up his option.

SultanOfSwing
10-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Yes to Wolf.

No way to Edmonds!

Falls City Beer
10-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Yes to Wolf.

No way to Edmonds!

Yeah, I'd hate to have a very good centerfielder with an .850 OPS. That would chap my arse.

He'd really suck in a lefty-favoring ballpark like GABP.

Johnny Footstool
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Edmonds and Griffey on the same team? Yikes. 'Splosion!

Falls City Beer
10-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Yeah, I thought of that. Shaming never killed anyone.

BTW: I didn't mean to derail the thread; I think Wolf would be an excellent target--this team needs a good lefty, and realistically, it's probably going to need several "project" pitchers to fill out the rotation.

Jr's Boy
10-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Edmonds in Cincy?George Grande would fall out of his booth every time he made a routine catch.:D

SultanOfSwing
10-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I'd hate to have a very good centerfielder with an .850 OPS. That would chap my arse.

He'd really suck in a lefty-favoring ballpark like GABP.
You mean an aging 36-year-old CF. One who played in 1 game more than Griffey and hit fewer HRs (19 vs. 27) and had fewer RBIs (70 vs. 72). One who even if he takes a pay cut will make $8-11m/year. And who the Reds would likely have to sign to a 2-3 yr contract. That means he is a 39-year-old CF making ~$10m in 2009. No thanks. The Reds need to rebuild, not sign guys like Edmonds, even if he doesn't fall apart.

NJReds
10-24-2006, 12:07 PM

Actually, I'd be more concerned about the collision that could occur on a ball hit in the gap between Edmonds and Freel. :eek:

terminator
10-24-2006, 12:16 PM
I like Wolf and would enjoy watching him, but I'd pass on him for $4-$5MM per year. His last three seasons have been 136, 80 and 56 innings. His ERA has been 4.28, 4.39 and 5.56. Maybe he'll regain his old form, but for now it looks like he's past his glory days. We shouldn't spend $8MM to $15MM on Wolf. Even if he gets healthy and pitched 'okay' I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a guy who would only marginally improve our 4.50 ERA in 2006. He's way too risky and expensive for the Reds.

vaticanplum
10-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I would love to have Edmonds on this team. He's getting old and breakable, but if they can pick him up for a short contract, fine by me.

I haven't been keeping up -- what's the general feeling on what the Cards will decide to do? Does anyone think it will be influenced by his performance this Series?

SultanOfSwing
10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
I would love to have Edmonds on this team. He's getting old and breakable, but if they can pick him up for a short contract, fine by me.

I haven't been keeping up -- what's the general feeling on what the Cards will decide to do? Does anyone think it will be influenced by his performance this Series?
I think it is a moot point--as the Cardinals likely will pick up his option. From what I hear from Cards fans, they don't want him, but a replacement would cost just as much if not more.

I don't get the Edmonds love. He is only 6+ months younger than Griffey and has been offensively outperformed by Griffey the last two years. I'm not as high on his defense as some are, I'll admit. Yet, even his supporters must concede he has lost a little bit out there, especially considering his increasing fragility.

maniem
10-24-2006, 01:40 PM
I think it is a mute point--as the Cardinals likely will pick up his option. From what I hear from Cards fans, they don't want him, but a replacement would cost just as much if not more.

I would have to agree with this. Who would the Cards get to replace him? Preston Wilson? Yikes, i would much rather go with an injured and older version of Edmonds than Wilson. Do they have anyone in the farm that could step in? If so, I haven't heard of anyone, as i've heard their farm system is just about as dry as ours...

Tom Servo
10-24-2006, 03:20 PM
I think it is a mute point--as the Cardinals likely will pick up his option. From what I hear from Cards fans, they don't want him, but a replacement would cost just as much if not more.

I've been hearing the opposite for the last few months. It's a $10 million option I believe, and that's an awful lot of money to throw at Edmonds for one more year.

crazybob60
10-24-2006, 03:29 PM
To get back to Randy Wolf...I don't know if I would sign him to what you said (3 years/12-15 mil)....but I wouldn't mind having him on the staff, maybe see if he would accept a two year deal but throw no more than 2, 3 mil/year at the very most after much negotiating....but that's just me.

VI_RedsFan
10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't mind signing Randy Wolf. But no way do I offer 3 yrs 12-15 mil. That's too long for a guy who is as injury-prone as he is. I'd like to give him, say, a 1 yr 2 mil deal to see how he performs. If we give him a 3 year deal with 4-5 per, and he blows, it's going to be Eric Milton all over again. A one year deal is a lot safer in my mind.

Johnny Footstool
10-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Wolf would be great as a non-roster invitee or signed to an incentive-heavy deal, but if he wants guaranteed money, I'd rather not see him in Cincinnati.

Reds1
10-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I like Wolf and another year off his injury. I think he would be a great signing. He for sure would upgrade #4 or #5.

redsupport
10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
A mute point(I guess the point is a mime)

Heath
10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Jim Edmonds is going to want too much money to play in Cincinnati.

vaticanplum
10-24-2006, 06:46 PM

True mimes are not necessarily mute.

You may thank your representative physical theater school graduate for that one.

Heath
10-24-2006, 06:50 PM
True mimes are not necessarily mute.

You may thank your representative physical theater school graduate for that one.

Yes, folks she has a diploma! And not afraid to use it.

VP - if Brett Somers has a one-woman show, why not you do a one woman show about baseball?

vaticanplum
10-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes, folks she has a diploma! And not afraid to use it.

VP - if Brett Somers has a one-woman show, why not you do a one woman show about baseball?

I did. In French. Fo real. It was a sketch, really, not a show.

Sorry to derail the thread...the misconceptions about mimes are so common that I do what I can to fix them where I can. Plus, with that incorrect information, his point was rendered moot ;)

Slyder
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Actually, I'd be more concerned about the collision that could occur on a ball hit in the gap between Edmonds and Freel. :eek:

The image of a bull in a china shop comes to mind...

Anyways we already have one old less than bulletproof Left Handed, CF, why spend money on another?

Back to the main object of this thread.

Please note I believe you build up the front not junk up the back (even at a much higher cost). But Many of the things that we get onto Milton about is the same problem with Wolf.

He has had 1 season where he got more GBs than Fly Balls and one year he was pretty much split (.99 in 2002). As we've seen with a lot of teams pitching is at a mondo premium and will have many suitors, do we want to risk another Milton or even worse?

He won't come cheap enough IMO to merit bringing him in. If we find someone to take Milton and the cost doesnt add up to more than Milton then I'll pass.

I've warmed somewhat toward Padilla but I still believe you win in MLB right now with 3 A- or better pitchers, we already have 2. Go for Schmidt and use him to help Bailey (WHEN HE'S READY NOT SOONER) adjust. Remember Schmidt came up through the Braves and up with the Pirates with many of the same "expectations" that Bailey will likely face in Cincy, plus he could LIKELY help Harang and Arroyo with how to do it year in and year out for many years and not flamming out.

dunner13
10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Schmidt sounds nice but the problem is why would he want to come to cincinnati. He wants to go to the mariners, thats his hometown. And if he doesnt go there you know he has his choice of the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers and Angels. So why come here, we would have to really overpay to get him to consider coming here.

mth123
10-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I think Wolf is a good target. His injury will keep the price down below the $7+ Million per year that it will take to get anyone who is more of sure thing. If you can go 2 years at $9 Million with a guaranteed 3rd year based on innings pitched in year 2....

His problems were elbow (Tommy John surgery) and not shoulder. We have seen that guys come back from elbow problems and pitch better in the second year. There is the point that was mentioned about flyballs and that does make me nervous. If we're talking a Paul Wilson type deal, I say get him. If its an Eric Milton type deal, then pass.

Slyder
10-24-2006, 09:38 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1183586&postcount=43 forgot where we were discussing it. Theres part one.

We will have to pony up, but I doubt it will be as much as some of the other SP on the market mostly because of Schmidt's age (granted there are exceptions) but look at what happened with a majority of SP when they get older. We will have to be creative to land him, but I seriously would try it. I brought the idea when discussing Harang, what about maybe front loading a contract to pay for "performance now" rather than back load a deal and then end up with a humungous albatross of a contract if he really gets old a couple years down the road. And I dont think you could find many better guys who could possibly help mainly Bailey but also some of the younger arms deal with the pressures that come with expectations. Plus his responsibilities would LIKELY be lessen as time goes on because you got people like Bailey who are expected to come up and help carry the mantle.

Schmidt gets his money now rather than later, and would be a legend if he could come in and do for cincy something similar to what Schilling did in Boston and Zona with RJ.

SultanOfSwing
10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Dutifully noted and corrected. :)