PDA

View Full Version : Bengals vs. Falcons

traderumor
10-26-2006, 01:12 PM
This is the first game this year I do not expect the Bengals to win. If you look at what the teams have done to put together 4-2 records thus far, their rankings are very similar. Both teams are dependent on capitalizing on turnovers and have decent but not great defenses so far. The Falcons D was lit up last week by Pittsburgh, so that might give us a ray of hope, but I'm not sure if our O is ready for a shootout at this point in the season. Both D's rank higher in points allowed than yardage allowed, probably as a function of the reliance on turnovers.

With all that said, I am pessimistic because of The Falcons' strengths--a scrambling QB and #1 rushing team in the NFL. Talk about the two biggest problems that the Bengals D has had over the last two years. If the rookie from TB and Charlie Fry can give the D fits with scrambles, it is scary to think of what Vick will be able to do with his feet this week. And we all should have fresh visions of Maroney stiff arming and dancing his way just a few weeks ago. Now, the top rushing team in the league comes to town. Yikes.

In the end, it might be the offense's turn to win a game in a situation where the D does not match up well with the opposing offense. Activate Chris Henry and use him before he inevitably ends up in court again, fire up the passing game, and see what happens. Oh, and Rudi, try bouncing outside every once in a while!

CTA513
10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
According to this article the Bengals have been using Reggie McNeal at QB to help prepare the defense for the Falcons game.

Notes: Vintage Vick and Classic Chad
By GEOFF HOBSON
October 26, 2006

The Bengals can turn to their backup quarterbacks to get some advice on trying to contain the greatest running quarterback in history in Atlanta’s Michael Vick.

Rookie wide receiver Reggie McNeal, the Bengals’ third quarterback the past few weeks and former Texas A&M quarterback , is playing the role of Vick in practice. And Doug Johnson backed up Vick his first three seasons.

“Reggie McNeal is simulating him right now and he’s challenging us on the scrambles and challenging us on the edge with the boots,” said defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan. “You have to play the run first because they’re averaging 222 yards per game in the run game, and then control the passing game and control him scrambling and on design plays to get him his runs. It’s dangerous to say make him throw. You’ve got to play your entire game.”

Full Story: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5621

RedFanAlways1966
10-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Perhaps Vick will get "the Trent Green" early in the game and it will all be a moot point?

HotCorner
10-26-2006, 01:34 PM
With all that said, I am pessimistic because of The Falcons' strengths--a scrambling QB and #1 rushing team in the NFL. Talk about the two biggest problems that the Bengals D has had over the last two years. If the rookie from TB and Charlie Fry can give the D fits with scrambles, it is scary to think of what Vick will be able to do with his feet this week. And we all should have fresh visions of Maroney stiff arming and dancing his way just a few weeks ago. Now, the top rushing team in the league comes to town. Yikes.

The biggest difference is that the Bengals will gameplan to stop (better yet contain) Vick from scrambling. The two you mentioned above are not the threat to run so defenses do not gameplan to stop them from running.

Additionally Dexter Jackson makes a huge difference in the defenses ability to stop the run. He's a sound tackler who also has a lot of experience against the Falcons.

Danny Serafini
10-26-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm looking forward to a good game. This will be my first trip to Paul Brown Stadium, a friend of mine is a big Falcons fan and scrounged up a couple of tickets, so it should be fun. That is, as long as I'm the one talking trash the whole 3 hour trip home!

Just to illustrate how long it's been and how things have changed since I saw the Bengals in person, the last time I went Paul Justin got the start at QB. :eek:

macro
10-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Chad Johnson is guaranteeing that he will score twice.

WMR
10-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Robert Geathers -- 4 SACKS

traderumor
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm looking forward to a good game. This will be my first trip to Paul Brown Stadium, a friend of mine is a big Falcons fan and scrounged up a couple of tickets, so it should be fun. That is, as long as I'm the one talking trash the whole 3 hour trip home!

Just to illustrate how long it's been and how things have changed since I saw the Bengals in person, the last time I went Paul Justin got the start at QB. :eek:I can top that. Kenny Anderson was QB, Pete Johnson was RB, and the Bengals beat the Vikings 14-0 at Riverfront Stadium in the late 70s.

guttle11
10-26-2006, 04:04 PM
If the Bengals come out ready to play and be physical up front early, I really think this one could get ugly. Like 38-10 ugly.

zombie-a-go-go
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Perhaps Vick will get "the Trent Green" early in the game and it will all be a moot point?

boo.

Danny Serafini
10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
I can top that. Kenny Anderson was QB, Pete Johnson was RB, and the Bengals beat the Vikings 14-0 at Riverfront Stadium in the late 70s.

At least Kenny Anderson was good!

traderumor
10-26-2006, 05:00 PM
If the Bengals come out ready to play and be physical up front early, I really think this one could get ugly. Like 38-10 ugly.I love your enthusiasm. That would be great after the last two nail biters. But if your giving 28 points, I would take that bet ;)

macro
10-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I think the fact that the Falcons are coming off such an emotional win over Pittsburgh will work in the Bengals favor. Also, the Bengals have been slumping, even in the win last week, so you would think that they're ready for a bounce-back.

RedFanAlways1966
10-27-2006, 07:57 AM
boo.

Hey... it happens to running QBs. Ask Trent Green who ran and did not get down soon enough. There is a good reason why Carson does not run as much this year. You run as a QB, you stand the chance of getting hurt. As Michael Vick has had happen before.

Anyhow... I like to think that Marvin Lewis has too good of a defensive mind to allow a Vick-type to burn them that bad. He'll get a good run or two, but will not cause a serious problem for the Bengals. The NFL is a passing game for QBs and not a running game. Good reason... defensive players are fast in the NFL. A running QB might work in college, but is not successful that often in the NFL. You must have the ability to throw accurately too. I predict 3 INTs for the Bengals defense this week b/c I question Vick's ability to throw accurately.

BuckWoody
10-27-2006, 08:32 AM
I had a very bad feeling about last week's game but am somewhat confident about this week. That should be the kiss of death. :(

Atlanta does not have a very good pass defense, 27th in the league in passing YPG. If Henry plays, I think that Carson & Co. will be able to move the ball through the air which should open things up for a nice second half for Rudi. The key is for the Bengals to start off well and play with the lead...make Vick throw the ball.

Matt700wlw
10-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Getting a dome team outside can only help the Bengals....

We shall see what we shall see...

NatiRedGals
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Bengals-Falcons notes of note
Stuff I've taken from Bengals/Falcons team notes and/or figured on my own
Playing the percentages: Both teams are 4-2. Since 1990 64% of teams starting 4-2 made the playoffs. 77% of teams starting 5-2 made the playoffs.
Series: Bengals lead series 7-3...their .700 winning percentage is tied for their 2nd best of any series of five or more games....Philly (7-3).....their 5-2 (.714) vs Giants is best.
Rush to judgment: Falcons top the NFL in rushing yards with 222.2 per game, nearly 70 more than any other team. They could become the first team to average more than 200 rushing yards over a full season since the Bears averaged 200.8 in 1977. Falcons have outrushed their opponents by 742 yards this year...an average of 123.6 more per game.
Tag Team: Falcons are only team in NFL with two players ranked in top 20 in rushing....Dunn/Vick
AFC/NFC: Falcons have won 7 of 9 vs. AFC under head coach Jim Mora. Bengals are a perfect 7-0 at home vs. NFC under Marvin Lewis. Bengals are 19-7 vs NFC dating back to 1993. Bengals have won nine straight home games vs NFC teams
Road block?: Vick has no rushing TDs in his last 22 road games.
Sack attack: Robert Geathers has six sacks this season, after recording just 6.5 in his first two NFL seasons. Geathers and Justin Smith each have 6 sacks....and are on pace for 16. The last pair of double digit sackers for the Bengals wer Reggie Williams (11) and Eddie Edwards (10) in 1981.
Anyone for a foot race?: Michael Vick has 3261 career rushing yards, Carson Palmer has 100.
Zoning in: Bengals have scored on all 16 red-zone possessions....and are #3 in NFL with TD's 62.5% of the time. The Falcons are last in the NFL with a TD percentage of just 27%
Mirror images: Points scored...Bengals 21.3/Falcons 20.7, points allowed...Bengals 18.8/Falcons 17.8
Opposite ends: Falcons rushing yards per game 222 (1st) Falcons passing yds per game 132 (32nd)
Under the radar: Kyle Larson is +8 this year in punts inside the 20 vs touchbacks.....12 punts inside the 20 vs 4 touchbacks.....3rd in the NFL
Wearing it well: Bengals will wear black jerseys and black pants Sunday. They are 4-2 in that combo.
Memories: Last weeking between the two...Sept 22, 2002...at Georgia Dome on ESPN Sunday night football. 30-3 Falcons. Gus Ferotte started 0-7 passing and was replaced by Jon Kitna.
Star studded: Falcons have 12 pro bowlers on their roster......tied for 3rd most in the NFL behind Baltimore/St Louis 14.
Need one?: Bengals have converted 6 of 7 third and one situations this year, tied for best in NFL
Big play: Falcons lead the NFL in rushes of 20+ yards (13) and 10+ yards (41)
Super Man: Vick has 21 rushes of +10 yards...2nd best in NFL behind Tiki Barber (22)
Moving chains: 54% of Vick's rushes this year have gone for a first down...tops in the NFL. 43% of his rushes since 2004 have gone for a first down...tops in the NFL.
Hmmmm: Vick's winning percentage of .623 is higher than Brett Favre's .621
Discipline: Falcons are the 5th least penalized team in NFL
Hey Ocho!: DeAngelo Hall has 11 picks in his last 22 games
Old Man River: 46-year old Morton Anderson has 32 game winning FG's in his career. He has played in 358 games...most in NFL history. He was a 4th round pick of the Saints in 1982. He has scored in 332 straight games, breaking the previous record of 186 set by Jim Breech. He's the 2nd oldest player ever (George Blanda 48)
Special special teams: Falcons average drive start after kickoff is 34.2 yard line, 2nd in NFL.....their opponents average drive start after kickoff is 25.1.....worst in NFL.
Airing it where?: Vick has one game of +200 yards passing this year...140,92,137,153,154,232

posted by lance1530homer at 8:17 AM

CTA513
10-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Chris Henry will play this week, but Chatman is not gone for the season.

Henry to play with Chatman on IR
By GEOFF HOBSON
October 27, 2006

For the second straight Friday the Bengals put a wide receiver on season-ending injured reserve when Antonio Chatman was lost for the year and activated Chris Henry to take his place on the 53-man roster.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Henry is going to play Sunday against the Falcons with Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh his only other healthy veterans. Chatman and Tab Perry (hip) are out for the year and Kelley Washington (hamstring) is out for the second straight game.

Lewis said rookie defensive back Ethan Kilmer, a wide receiver at Penn State, has been taking snaps at wideout for the past two weeks.

But there are no indications the Bengals are going to sign Peter Warrick before a game in which he couldn’t have played even if he’d joined the club Wednesday. Reached after the Bengals practiced Friday, Drew Rosenhaus, Warrick's agent, said the club told him Thursday night they are holding off at the moment.

"They said they're going a week at a time with Peter," Rosenhaus said. "Peter is going to stay in shape and we hope we get that opportunity."

The Bengals also lose another receiver if they again make rookie Reggie McNeal the third quarterback for the third straight week. Glenn Holt, a free agent rookie from Kentucky looks like he’ll be suited up for the second straight game after coming off the practice squad.

Running back Chris Perry can also line up some at wide receiver.

Chatman, who came over from Green Bay in free agency, has never been right since he pulled a muscle in his groin/abdominal area on the first weekend of training camp. He hardly ever practiced and played in one preseasn game before making his regular season Bengals debut in Week 4 against the Patriots.

He caught a big third-down pass last week before finishing the year with just three catches for 22 yards.

But he also returned punts and kicks, duties that appear now fall to Keiwan Ratliff and Kenny Watson, respectively.

Henry has missed the last three games, the last two because of a suspension for violating a variety of NFL policies. Henry missed the Oct. 1 loss to New England when Lewis chose not to dress him after he was in the same car when linebacker Odell Thurman was arrested for a DUI.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5626

Tony Cloninger
10-28-2006, 11:03 PM
It's like watching paint dry in having the Bengals put players on IR and sign someone other than their own drafted players to replace the injured ones.

YOu have 3 healthy WR's.....and 1 of them could be suspended again at any time....yet you choose not to get anyone else?

Same with DB's.........Charles Woodson would not have helped?
Please? I mean....no Ratliff and the always injured Greg Brooks will be fine.

Just sign a WR to help or you could find yourself with 2 WR after the game is done.

AND next year.....please sign a Center who stay healthy and quit depending on Braham to stay that way.

Might as well sign Blair Bush....if you are going to re-sign an injury prone Center.... who the team seems to be .....way too over dependent on to keep the OL together and working cohesively.

NatiRedGals
10-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Don't forget Palmer in Vick matchup

By GEOFF HOBSON
October 27, 2006

Posted: 3:50 p.m.

Palmer has posted an impressive 90.9 passer rating in '06. (Bengals photo)
This week it’s been Michael Vick this and Michael Vick that. He may be faster than a locomotive, but not that as fast as the media fascination. But certainly fast enough to somehow reduce Carson Palmer to a footnote this week.

Carson Palmer? Here’s a guy that makes playing NFL quarterback look so easy that he’s having a Pro Bowl season and people are murmuring if he’s OK.

It looks like Palmer, coming off the best passing season in Bengals history, is so good, he’s spoiled us. He may not be as laser sharp as he was last season, but here’s a guy who has still completed 62 percent of his passes, has thrown 117 straight passes without an interception, has thrown twice as many touchdown as interceptions, and has a 90.9 passer rating, which would be the ninth best in club history.

(And, by the way, is about 17 points better than Mike Vick.)

Heck, maybe he’s spoiled himself.

“I’m doing everything I can to get back to where I was and working in that direction,” said Palmer flatly when asked earlier this week to critique his season.

CARSON PALMER 2006 VS. 2005 (First 6 Games)
Season Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD Int Sacked Rating
2005 197 143 1573 72.6 7.98 13 2 8 113.1
2006 196 122 1418 62.2 7.23 9 4 19 90.9

Here’s a guy that hasn’t had the same offensive line for two full games. Here’s a guy that has had his third-down back for just one game, hasn’t had his third receiver for the last three games and has already been sacked as many times as he was all last year with 19.

Let’s see. That’s two more touchdowns, one more yard per pass, and more than 500 yards passing than Vick.

And if Vick has the sixth best winning percentage of active quarterbacks with at least 25 starts at .623 (35-21), Palmer is looming at .600 (21-14).

“When I go to other places,” said national television analyst Solomon Wilcots, “the first guy they want to talk about on the Bengals is Carson Palmer.”

And, oh yeah, he had a major medical procedure over the offseason when he underwent the pro athlete’s version of a heart transplant with reconstructive left knee surgery.

“Before he got hurt, he was rivaling Peyton Manning,” said one NFL director of pro personnel this week. “It’s going to take time. But he’s still one of the top five quarterbacks in the league right now.”

Dave Lapham has seen the best passing seasons ever here as an offensive lineman and currently as the club’s radio analyst, including Palmer’s 101.1 of last season, Ken Anderson’s 98.4 of 1981 and Boomer Esiason’s 97.4 of 1988, and this one isn’t too shabby.

“I agree with him that he isn’t where he thinks he needs to be, but he’s still been excellent,” Lapham said. “Anything you do in sports, I don’t care what it is, hitting a baseball, throwing a football, you need your legs, and I don’t think there’s any question that he’s still at times trying to get them underneath him. I think in the last five or six games or so, you’ll see him back to where he was. He’s close, but not there.”

Of course, there were a lot of reasons he was off the charts through the first six games last season (there is only a pass attempt difference this year) with 13 touchdown passes, just two interceptions and a ridiculous 72.6 passing percentage.

There was only one missed game on the offensive line (center Rich Braham against Jacksonville), two among the top receivers and running backs (T.J. Houshmandzadeh against Jacksonville and Tennessee), and four of those games came against defenses that finished last season 16th or lower in the NFL’s defensive rankings.

This season he’s hitting just 62 percent of his passes and his yards per attempt is down by more than half a yard.

But he’s had five different offensive lines with the jarring loss of Braham and among his top three receivers and top two running backs there have been 10 games missed because of injuries, suspension, or discipline.

And the Bengals have already played three of the league’s top four defenses from last season’s rankings.

Palmer
“Every year is different,” Palmer said. “Teams play you differently, we’re playing different defenses and, yeah, we played some weaker ones last year compared to this season. I say it all the time. You can’t always throw for 300 yards or even 200 yards.”

Of course, what he won’t say is that he’s coming off the most grueling rehab in football. If you get him in a weak moment, he’ll admit he’s still coping. On Friday he said he’s probably around 90 percent in a comeback that has amazed even his teammates.

“I respected him before, but to see him come back and be so strong is just unbelievable,” said tight end Tony Stewart.

Quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese has been amazed at Palmer's bullet-proof psyche that has matched his physical endurance.

“Just mental toughness,” Zampese said. “He hasn’t had an offseason. And he’s taken all the crap that keeps coming. Losing Richie. His receivers. He’s just kept going. It bothers him, but he’s able to stay composed.”

Zampese is the keeper of the fundamentals and it all begins and ends with the feet, and the feet begin and end with the leg.

Footwork.

It is Palmer’s left leg, the front leg, and that’s the one that Palmer has to make sure he follows through on for accuracy.

“Footwork is the building blocks of throwing straight,” Zampese said. “It’s something you stay on top of and when it falls off you have to get back on it. The thing with Carson is that he’s so conscientious that when he needs improvement on something it becomes a point of emphasis and it goes away. The footwork is getting better every day.”

The two of them struggled with it in training camp as Palmer burned the candle at both ends with rehab and football. But he had come such a long way with it that two weeks ago Zampese said he highlighted the improvement on his grease board.

“The legs are your foundation,” Palmer said. “It’s where you get your accuracy, your balance, your ball speed. I’m getting there. It will get there eventually.”

There is also the decision making. Zampese harps on it daily.

“Even before he got hurt it’s something we always tried to improve,” Zampese said. “Where to throw it. When. Why we’re throwing it there. I don’t think both of us will ever be satisfied, but we keep working at it.”

Zampese
With the offense struggling, Zampese has noticed that Palmer, at times, is anxious to make a play, and that can leak out in various ways. Earlier in the season he was holding on the ball waiting for better options and he was getting sacked and stripped.

With the line play improving and Palmer making it a point of emphasis, it hasn’t happened lately. But it can be other things, too. Last week he had running back Chris Perry open in the flat, but he waited and then threw it too far to the sideline.

“He’s got to stay on Chris there,” Zampese said. “He looked off for something else and by the time he got back to him, it was panic time because he was running out of room on the sidelines.”

But here’s a guy whose last interception came in the second half against Pittsburgh more than a month ago. Only four picks in 196 throws are a big reason this team is 4-2 and have scored points on all 16 trips in the red zone.

Just ask Jake Delhomme.

“It’s expectations,” said an interested observer before Friday’s practice. “Off of what he did last year, and with the offense struggling at times this year, he set a very high standard.”

Troy Aikman, in town to analyze the game for Fox, is Palmer’s boyhood hero. When he read that Palmer used to go to Cowboys training camp to watch him, Aikman dropped him notes when he got drafted and when he got hurt.

“The first time I met him is just now in the locker room,” Aikman said. “I haven’t seen any tape of him yet. I’ll watch it today and tomorrow. I haven’t seen him play live yet; it’s a big reason I’ve been looking forward to doing this game.”

He may see something familiar. Palmer has been compared to the tall, unflappable Aikman ever since he was at USC. Aikman got a scouting report from former Cowboys teammate Daryl Johnston, the Fox analyst last week for the Bengals’ win over Carolina.

" I saw Daryl Wednesday morning and asked him a few things about Cincinnati,” Aikman said. “I asked him how Carson was and he said, 'Carson was great. I thought I was talking to you when we were sitting in there in the production meeting.' ”

On the outside looking in, Aikman has a pretty good view.

”Nothing wrong with 62 percent,” he said. “That’s for sure.”

max venable
10-29-2006, 03:20 PM
just let me say...the officiating has been horrific in this game. :bang:

MrCinatit
10-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Frankly, the officiating is the least of this team's worries.
This team is getting to be brutal to watch.

macro
10-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Yes, the offense should be embarassed, but the defense should be more embarassed. The Falcons have scored on all but one possession (except for the end of the half), and Vick has done anything he wanted.

They'll be 4-4 after next week's loss to Baltimore, and the playoff chances will begin to get slimmer. I kept my word and didn't watch last week's game. I wish I had extended it by another week.

Who still believes that this team will make the playoffs? What are you seeing that makes you believe that?

max venable
10-29-2006, 04:00 PM

I agree. But the officiating has been bad.

max venable
10-29-2006, 04:01 PM
But there is good news...and no, it's not about my car insurance. The good news is...Vick and Crumpler are on my fantasy team.:D

traderumor
10-29-2006, 04:13 PM

What in the world are you talking about? The Bengals played a good game, the Falcons played a little bit better today. That was a heckuva football game, and both teams got the benefit of a cheesy roughing the QB call. The better team won today, Vick played a nearly flawless game and won by a field goal. Two playoff caliber teams squared off and the Bengals came up just a little bit short.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure what folks expect when watching an NFL football game, I really don't. Each year, there are a few teams that can manage to regularly stomp the competition, then there are a dozen teams that are pretty much even. We are still one of the dozen or so teams. Winning in the NFL is hard, home or away, and when you make the playoffs, the NFL makes it very hard the following year with their scheduling formula. I've been watching some good NFL football games this year when the Bengals play and its been enjoyable. After the 90s, complaining even after a loss in a good football game just seems like vanity at this point.

guttle11
10-29-2006, 04:18 PM
What in the world are you talking about? The Bengals played a good game, the Falcons played a little bit better today. That was a heckuva football game, and both teams got the benefit of a cheesy roughing the QB call. The better team won today, Vick played a nearly flawless game and won by a field goal. Two playoff caliber teams squared off and the Bengals came up just a little bit short.

They had no business losing to that team. They played a crappy, soft zone all day. They gave Vick all year to throw. He burnt them like any NFL QB would have. Bad defensive gameplan, and no adjustments.

Let me be the first to say it, Bresnahan needs to go. Like tomorrow.

WMR
10-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I can't believe Crumpler made the same catch across the middle over and over and over... Jeez, I thought I was watching an instant replay...

@#$%!!!

Gainesville Red
10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Watching via stat tracker purely with fantasy football interests, what happened to Rudi?

Only 12 carries? Looked like he was off to a pretty good start and they just quit giving him the ball.

What happened?

guttle11
10-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Watching via stat tracker purely with fantasy football interests, what happened to Rudi?

Only 12 carries? Looked like he was off to a pretty good start and they just quit giving him the ball.

What happened?

Bad coaching. It was the worst coached game I've since Marvin took over. That's where the game was lost.

If I see one more dumpoff pass when they're losing, I'm going to scream.

Joseph
10-29-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure what folks expect when watching an NFL football game, I really don't. Each year, there are a few teams that can manage to regularly stomp the competition, then there are a dozen teams that are pretty much even. We are still one of the dozen or so teams. Winning in the NFL is hard, home or away, and when you make the playoffs, the NFL makes it very hard the following year with their scheduling formula. I've been watching some good NFL football games this year when the Bengals play and its been enjoyable. After the 90s, complaining even after a loss in a good football game just seems like vanity at this point.

People expected the Bengals to be one of those few teams who regularly stomp the competition, not to be one of the middle of the pack dozen.

Yachtzee
10-29-2006, 04:31 PM
I actually had a feeling the Bengals would have a tough time with this game. They always seem to have issues with QBs who can run and OLs that use a cut blocking scheme. They had a couple opportunities to bust the game open early that they didn't take advantage of and it hurt them in the end.

I must say though. That pass to Chris Henry was a thing of beauty.

WMR
10-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Does anyone else think Mora told the Defense to go low on Carson during halftime?

TeamBoone
10-29-2006, 04:35 PM
The better team won today, Vick played a nearly flawless game and won by a field goal.

Make that a safety.

MWM
10-29-2006, 04:46 PM
This Bengals team is missing something. I know the defense is bad, but there's something else I can put my finger on that's lacking in this team.

And I'm officially tired of Chad Johnson. He needs to just shut and play or find somewhere else to play. He's talented, but he's not so talented that the Bengals would be in trouble without him. He was funny for a while, but his act has gotten tired with this fan. He's become a distraction and it's moved beyone clever to "me first". It wouldn't bother me a bit if he's shipped out after this season.

max venable
10-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Does anyone else think Mora told the Defense to go low on Carson during halftime?

Sure seemed like it, didn't it?

And the Bengals should win that game at home...always. ATL is not that great of a team. Their D is sorry...talk about not adjusting on defense, shoot, we didn't even adjust on offense. It was indeed a poorly coached game.

What ever happened to Marvin being a defensive genius? Sure would like to see it.

WMR
10-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Sure seemed like it, didn't it?

And the Bengals should win that game at home...always. ATL is not that great of a team. Their D is sorry...talk about not adjusting on defense, shoot, we didn't even adjust on offense. It was indeed a poorly coached game.

What ever happened to Marvin being a defensive genius? Sure would like to see it.

Seriously!! We are dropping games we don't need to be dropping.

Dexter Jackson did not look like he was ready/prepared to be back on the field.

WMR
10-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Sam Adams needs to lose about 20 pounds. He has appeared gutted and ineffective.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 06:17 PM
People expected the Bengals to be one of those few teams who regularly stomp the competition, not to be one of the middle of the pack dozen.Expectations are rarely realistic and most of what I saw was folks realizing the schedule would be tough to even make the playoffs on, let alone dominate.

As for all the dogging of the defense, the coaches and the like, I must have been watching a totally different game. I am a diehard Bengals fan, but the Falcons are a dangerous team. The NFC South is really going to be a dogfight. The only valid criticism I have seen so far is the disappearance of Rudi after the first quarter. The D is what it is. They decided they would make Vick beat them with his arm, and gosh darn it if he didn't do exactly that.

WMR
10-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Expectations are rarely realistic and most of what I saw was folks realizing the schedule would be tough to even make the playoffs on, let alone dominate.

As for all the dogging of the defense, the coaches and the like, I must have been watching a totally different game. I am a diehard Bengals fan, but the Falcons are a dangerous team. The NFC South is really going to be a dogfight. The only valid criticism I have seen so far is the disappearance of Rudi after the first quarter. The D is what it is. They decided they would make Vick beat them with his arm, and gosh darn it if he didn't do exactly that.

How hard is it to hit a tight-end on a crossing pattern when he's wide open?

The Bengals made Vick throw... but they let him stay in his comfort zone the entire game.

The throws he converted would be converted by any QB in the NFL.

Tory... wow Toast is correct.

MWM
10-29-2006, 06:50 PM
The Bengals loss today will be worth it if the Stillers lose to the pitiful Raiders.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been if they hadn't beat the Cardinals last week.

MWM
10-29-2006, 06:53 PM
tr, What I saw was an inexistent pass rush giving Vick all day to throw the ball. A line that didn't create ANY holes. A defense that allowed Vick to go something 7-19 with over 100 yards on 3rd down. It didn't matter if it was 3rd and 16, they converted it. What I saw was the Bengals play pretty poorly at home today.

Willy
10-29-2006, 08:03 PM
The two things that drove me crazy about this game was the Defense made no adjustments and the offense does their own thing there is no tam game plan.

They tried to flood the secondary and have Vick force it in somewhere, it didn't work so they shoud have started blitzing him and make him make quicker decisions.

The Offense always does their own thing. Today would have been a great day to pound Rudi(They didn't prove they could stop him) and keep Vick off the field. All Bob cares about if throwing the ball all over the place.

Why does Rudi come out of the game every third down??? We throw every third down. Third and 2... throw it, third and... three throw it, third and 12...run it.

No team plan that I saw or ever see.

Yachtzee
10-29-2006, 08:11 PM
This Bengals team is missing something. I know the defense is bad, but there's something else I can put my finger on that's lacking in this team.

And I'm officially tired of Chad Johnson. He needs to just shut and play or find somewhere else to play. He's talented, but he's not so talented that the Bengals would be in trouble without him. He was funny for a while, but his act has gotten tired with this fan. He's become a distraction and it's moved beyone clever to "me first". It wouldn't bother me a bit if he's shipped out after this season.

I'm not following you here. Did Chad Johnson suddenly change sides and start playing defense? I thought Chad had a decent game and I think everyone knows the whole "Ocho Cinquo" business is meant in good fun.

If anyone is to blame for this game it is the entire defense for failing to execute. The Bengals scored a respectable 27 points. The D consistently gave up big plays that allowed the Falcons to control the tempo of the game.

I'll agree with you that I thing something is missing form this team on offense, but I point to Carson Palmer and the O-Line. I think that the combination of injuries on the OLine and Palmer's discomfort behind that line have lead to an offense that can still explode, but still seems to still be somewhat out of sync. Palmer's accuracy is somewhat off from last year. The OLine can't seem to pick up blitzes regularly. They forget that Rudi Johnson plays for them or else they mistake him for Chris Perry and ask him to make sideline sweeps rather than bust it up the middle where he excels.

As far as Chad Johnson goes, I think he did rather respectable for himself today. He had 6 rec. for 78 yds. and 1 TD. He also got an extra 15 yards and a first down for drawing that unsportsmanlike conduct penalty early in the game. I have no problem with that kind of production and I personally enjoy his light-hearted trash talk.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 08:16 PM
tr, What I saw was an inexistent pass rush giving Vick all day to throw the ball. A line that didn't create ANY holes. A defense that allowed Vick to go something 7-19 with over 100 yards on 3rd down. It didn't matter if it was 3rd and 16, they converted it. What I saw was the Bengals play pretty poorly at home today.Notice I said the D is what it is. They do not have a pass rush, why would you suddenly expect them to mount one on an elusive QB like Vick? If you saw what they were trying to do, they were keeping him in the pocket as much as possible to keep him from getting in the open field. When they did mount a pass rush, he eluded it and made a big play.

So, observations being what they are, I'm gonna give credit to the winning team and think that the D played to their expectations. The O couldn't go out and win it, as their 3 point 2nd half effort until the one big play to Henry would attest.

MWM
10-29-2006, 08:22 PM
I was never blaming CJ for the loss. That would be silly. I was simply stating that his act has gotten very old with me. It's not fresh anymore, it's stale. I'm just tired of his antics. It's all about him.

Yachtzee
10-29-2006, 08:36 PM
I was never blaming CJ for the loss. That would be silly. I was simply stating that his act has gotten very old with me. It's not fresh anymore, it's stale. I'm just tired of his antics. It's all about him.

Sorry, I just see people on the Bengals' boards criticizing CJ's antics and somehow trying to pin some blame on him whenever the Bengals lose. Blaming CJ's mouth for the Bengals' performance today is like blaming the Reds' losses on Adam Dunn's strikeouts. Wishing him "out of town" because you don't like the way he plays the game is silly and will only result in Bengals fans getting to watch a potential Hall of Famer help win games for someone else.

WVRed
10-29-2006, 09:01 PM
It's all about him.

I disagree with this.

Chad is not TO, Keyshawn, or Randy Moss. The fact that he is having a quiet season and is not openly criticizing Palmer the way TO did with McNabb and Garcia speaks volumes. Chad is drawing double coverage and is allowing TJ and Henry to make the big plays.

I could be proven wrong in the future on this, but right now, Chad is as close to a team player as anything, although I think Marvin has a big piece in that.

MrCinatit
10-29-2006, 09:04 PM
I would take Chad Johnson light years ahead of the likes of TO and Moss. His work ethic alone makes me like the guy, big time. I just hope he can teach Henry a couple of those tricks before Chris' career implodes.

traderumor
10-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry, I just see people on the Bengals' boards criticizing CJ's antics and somehow trying to pin some blame on him whenever the Bengals lose. Blaming CJ's mouth for the Bengals' performance today is like blaming the Reds' losses on Adam Dunn's strikeouts. Wishing him "out of town" because you don't like the way he plays the game is silly and will only result in Bengals fans getting to watch a potential Hall of Famer help win games for someone else.Stay off the Bengals' boards is my advice. It is better to discuss the game here than attempting to find a rational thought in those places.

Danny Serafini
10-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Disappointing result today. I'll type more about what I saw there later, but I do have to dispute the Chad Johnson criticism. For the most part he owned DeAngelo Hall today. Problem was Palmer was a little off. There were at least three occasions where Johnson was wide open and Palmer missed him, and missed badly a couple of times. And he really had the fans jacked up before the game today. I'm sure they showed it on TV, but if you missed it during the warmups and the coin toss he was wearing a jersey with Ocho Cinco across the back. Funny stuff, and the fans were eating it up. I know he may rub a few people the wrong way, but from what I saw today the vast majority were loving it.

wolfboy
10-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Disappointing result today. I'll type more about what I saw there later, but I do have to dispute the Chad Johnson criticism. For the most part he owned DeAngelo Hall today. Problem was Palmer was a little off. There were at least three occasions where Johnson was wide open and Palmer missed him, and missed badly a couple of times. And he really had the fans jacked up before the game today. I'm sure they showed it on TV, but if you missed it during the warmups and the coin toss he was wearing a jersey with Ocho Cinco across the back. Funny stuff, and the fans were eating it up. I know he may rub a few people the wrong way, but from what I saw today the vast majority were loving it.

Agreed. Chad could have put up some monster numbers if Carson had connected on some of those throws.

MWM
10-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I disagree with this.

Chad is not TO, Keyshawn, or Randy Moss. The fact that he is having a quiet season and is not openly criticizing Palmer the way TO did with McNabb and Garcia speaks volumes. Chad is drawing double coverage and is allowing TJ and Henry to make the big plays.

I could be proven wrong in the future on this, but right now, Chad is as close to a team player as anything, although I think Marvin has a big piece in that.

I used to think this as well. And he's clearly still not as bad as either of those guys. But it's gotten to be too big of a story that it's a distraction. He'd be just as great a player if he just went out and played and just STF up. I don't think it's just playful enthusiasm anymore. It's gotten old to me. I dont like it and wish he'd just shut and play. It's no longer a novelty.

guttle11
10-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Expectations are rarely realistic and most of what I saw was folks realizing the schedule would be tough to even make the playoffs on, let alone dominate.

It's not that they made him beat them with his arm, it's that they let him. They sat back in a soft zone and rushed only 4 all game, scared that he would run. They were reactionary, and in the NFL, that gets you beat every week. Re: Tampa Bay game.

That's just a bad gameplan. You have to dictate the style of the game. That's what makes the Ravens and Bears defenses great. They don't sit back and wait for you to screw up, they force you too.

I was actually pretty pleased with how the defense executed the gameplan. There were fewer missed tackles, and they covered all but Crumpler well. They just gave Vick too much time to throw the ball and he burnt them. You can't do that. You have to put pressure on him. You have to blitz him all day long. Who cares if he burns you once or twice with a 30 yard scramble? That won't beat you.

Also, Simmons needed to be in the middle. Ahmad Brooks will be very good in time, but he couldn't cover my grandma right now. He's a 3rd down blitzer only at this point.

Gainesville Red
10-30-2006, 12:51 AM
The Offense always does their own thing. Today would have been a great day to pound Rudi(They didn't prove they could stop him)

My fantasy team, sporting, yet again, another close loss, agrees with you. Maybe I should call Marvin Lewis and talk to him about it. Maybe I could reason with him. Doesn't he realize there's $50 on the line here?

RedsBaron
10-30-2006, 06:42 AM
The Bengals loss today will be worth it if the Stillers lose to the pitiful Raiders.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been if they hadn't beat the Cardinals last week.

The Steelers destroyed the Raiders in almost every category, piling up 360 total yards to the Raiders 98; Oakland had all of 17 passing yards for the entire game. The Steelers lead in time of possession, 35:30 to 24:30. There were only a couple of categories the Raiders lead the Steelers in---interceptions ran back for touchdowns---and the score, 20-13.:thumbup:

traderumor
10-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Yes, that the Bengals are so far only having a so-so season while the Steelers is in swirly mode is some consolation. :cool:

traderumor
10-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Looks like Bratkowski's offensive gameplan isn't winning votes with the players. This was the one item that upset me about the loss, as well:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/SPT02/610300375/1066

Bengals air some complaints about abandoning the run
BY DUSTIN DOW | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Running back Rudi Johnson carried the football five times for 32 yards and capped it off with a 1-yard touchdown run on the Bengals' opening drive Sunday.

But the most important stat regarding Johnson in the Bengals' 29-27 loss to the Falcons was what happened the rest of the game. And it's a problematic trend, according to Johnson, that is causing the Bengals to lose winnable games.

After that first drive, Johnson carried just seven more times, gaining 14 yards. The Bengals offense sputtered throughout the second half, scoring just 10 points after halftime and moving the ball inconsistently.

"A lot of games we lose is for that reason," Johnson said of the Bengals' offensive scheme that featured more passing and less running as the game developed. "You line up and play football. Its real simple. We make it real complicated.

"We should have beaten this team like the other teams we lost to. I don't know what to say. Whenever my number is called, I'm going to play hard, for four quarters, 60 minutes. Today, I only played for one quarter."

Johnson had support from the offensive line in his argument that he should have received more carries, not only on Sunday but in general. Tackle Willie Anderson suggested that the Bengals need to be tougher, partly by utilizing more often a rusher who gained more than 1,400 yards each of the past two seasons.

"You've got to run right at them," said Anderson, who lamented that the Bengals didn't take better advantage of an opportunity to expose a potential talent gap between the Bengals offensive linemen and the Falcons defensive linemen.

"It's a joke, who they were putting in front of me. When you put who you put in front of me, or you put who you put in front of Bobbie (Williams) or (Eric) Steinbach and say you can't run against us, that's a joke. It's not the Ravens."

While the Bengals turned away from the running game, the pressure on the pass offense increased, creating several third-down situations in which the Bengals were forced to pass the ball. That caused a 40-percent efficiency rating on third down, which led to Atlanta finishing with a time of possession advantage of more than 14 minutes.

"We did a lot of good things today," coach Marvin Lewis said, "but not consistently enough. We need to make some of those throws and catches that we're not making at times, particularly to the outside."

But Johnson regretted that while those passes were being called, the running plays that worked in the first quarter seemed to be no longer part of the playbook.

"Play football," Johnson said. "Do what works. I'm not saying run me 50,000 times, especially if it's not working. I'm just saying you move up and down the field with what's working, until they find a way to stop it."

In the Bengals' three losses, Johnson has averaged 54.3 rushing yards, well below his season average of 78.9 yards. Johnson said he noticed early that the offensive line could have manhandled Atlanta's defensive line. Anderson questioned whether the Bengals have the mental toughness required to be as successful as they want to be, and whether that factors into Johnson's diminishing touches.

"We've got a 1,400-yard back, but we're not a running team," Anderson said. "Do the coaches respect our toughness, when we don't? You finish the statement."

Tony Cloninger
10-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Is it that hard to build even a good defense in Cincy?

1983 and counting the last time a Bengal defense was dominant.

Even in 1988 their defense was suspect. Pretty much in the bottom 20 for about more than half of the last 20+ years.

I could churn milk into butter faster than some of these Bengal blitzes develop and actually hit home. YET the other team blitzes and someone on the OL does not pick up? You leave TE back there to help and they offer none? Might as well throw them out there and let them catch some passes.

AND in the NFL you can win with short passes.....it's almost more high PCT to try and pass down the filed than it is to try and run down the field.

Look what Manning did against DEN. 32 for 35-39, or something.....for 340-350 yards. MAYBE the DEN defense is not that great you say? Well...in this day and age of offense....when you can shut down people the way they had until Manning came into town...... then i would say it is a very good defense....and Manning showed if you are patient ...you can dink and dunk another team and beat them.

Is Palmer a Manning clone? A lot of people think he could be or will be.
Is IND line better than CIN.....before this year i would have said NO.
Yet even with injuries ( and to me injury in football is an oxymoron.....YOU are ALWAYS injured in football, some worst than others, but you are probably always playing hurt).....................this OL had another week to play together and they still had problems picking up bliztes....and adjusting.

Throw quick passes and if they are only 5-6 yards...so what.....at least you are working the clock and force ATL to quit blitzing.
I like Rudi.......and i agree that he should have run more...but he also has a lot of games where almost half of his carries are for 1-2 yards.....that is not going to help either. A more versatile.....outside runner is needed....and i don't think it's Perry ...right now.

Remember the 1981-1982 LIndy INfante coached (OFF COD/ QB COACH).....offense? A lot of short passes.....mixed with some deep ones...but not as many as you might think. They threw a lot of short passes....to Ross, Krieder, Alexander, Griffin....heck even Pete Johnson could catch a pass out of the backfield better than Rudi.
Sure they threw some deep to Chris....Isaac.....but they worked the field by dinking and dunking. The running game was AVG barely 4 yards a carry.
Heck...in 1982.....Anderson was the 2nd leading rusher.
They had more trouble in 1982 scoring ...but they still moved the ball.

No reason this offense cannot do the same and work the clock.

Trouble is....again it's the defense. This defense will do OK....but when it is pressured to hold someone.....they mostly crack.

That is something those 1981-82 teams had. Defense......especially one that could stop the run. Hank Bullough had them playing the best defense they have not been able to play since.
(No. 1 in AFC vs run in 1980, Top 5 in 1982, No. 1 in AFC in 1983 and NO. 1 defense in all NFL)

CTA513
10-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Looks like Bratkowski's offensive gameplan isn't winning votes with the players. This was the one item that upset me about the loss, as well:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/SPT02/610300375/1066

Rudi ran the ball 5 times for 32 yards on the first Bengals drive.
He then ran the ball 7 times the rest of the game.