PDA

View Full Version : Bonds to file for free agency ASAP

Degenerate39
10-28-2006, 09:24 AM
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds plans to file for free agency the first day he can, and no negotiations have taken place with the Giants about keeping the slugger in San Francisco.

The first time Bonds would be eligible to file is the day after the World Series ends.

"The only thing that would stop Barry from filing for free agency would be if a deal was in place from the Giants," Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, said Friday in a phone interview. "Since there has been no dialogue up to this point, I have no reason to believe he would do anything but file for free agency."

Under baseball's new collective bargaining agreement, a five-year deal reached Tuesday night, there is less of a time constraint on the Giants and Bonds to get something done on a new contract.

The previous labor agreement mandated that if the Giants had not offered Bonds arbitration by Dec. 7, they would be unable to sign him until May 1. Now, the club can still negotiate with the 42-year-old Bonds even if it doesn't offer him arbitration by the new Dec. 1 deadline.

"I don't think it helps, but it doesn't hurt either," Borris said.

While the agreement does buy San Francisco some time, Giants officials don't seem convinced they will have any better chance of re-signing Bonds for a 15th season.

"We haven't really studied it," executive vice president Larry Baer said Friday. "Every signing is going to be an undertaking. Whatever we do with Barry, it's got to be a mutual fit. We've got to want him and he's got to want us."

Bonds is prepared to test his market value.

The seven-time NL MVP's $90 million, five-year contract is up with San Francisco. He had indicated he would like to return to the Giants, but that was before owner Peter Magowan said on Oct. 2 that if Bonds returns No. 25 will no longer be the centerpiece for this franchise.

"We haven't engaged. I don't know what their disposition is," general manager Brian Sabean said after the team introduced Bruce Bochy as the club's new manager Friday.

Bonds has spent 14 of his 21 big league seasons with San Francisco and helped the Giants draw 3 million fans in all seven seasons of their waterfront ballpark's existence.

Bonds has 734 home runs, 22 from breaking Hank Aaron's career record of 755. After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs in 367 at-bats in 2006.

"Obviously he has an affection for San Francisco and I think he would be back," Giants first baseman Mark Sweeney said.

Bonds likely will be interested in gauging the interest of the Los Angeles Angels and Dodgers. He lives in Southern California in Beverly Hills.

"We will do our due diligence to explore all possible opportunities," Borris said.

Bochy was asked his thoughts on Bonds, who has hit 85 of his home runs against the skipper's former club -- the San Diego Padres. That's Bonds' highest total against any team.

"I've known Barry quite a few years. Unfortunately I've been on the other side and seen quite a few balls leave the ballpark," Bochy said. "I have not made any decision on Barry Bonds. Barry Bonds is on this ballclub and I look forward to managing Barry Bonds."

That is, if Bonds is still wearing a Giants jersey come spring training.

Personally I think he'll end up going to the Angels

WVRed
10-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Personally I think he'll end up going to the Angels

Or Oakland. Its right across the bay, and he wouldnt have to move very far. Depends on if he wants to take a pay cut though.

Degenerate39
10-28-2006, 09:46 AM
I'd like to see Barry and Dusty end up in Oakland together.

Crosley68
10-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Is there any chance no one would want him besides SF? Are his numbers worth the PR nightmare? At least in SF the fans are already blind.

westofyou
10-28-2006, 10:37 AM
I'd like to see Barry and Dusty end up in Oakland together.

Dream on, Beane wouldn't touch either.

Degenerate39
10-28-2006, 10:47 AM

I know I can't imagine Barry going to Oakland when all their players are younger guys. But whoever gets Barry will have more fans coming to the ballpark as he approaches Hank Aaron's record.

westofyou
10-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I know I can't imagine Barry going to Oakland when all their players are younger guys. But whoever gets Barry will have more fans coming to the ballpark as he approaches Hank Aaron's record.

Not in Oakland, their base is strong and they wouldn't draw too many extra to watch Barry strut around after a record. It's not the nature of their fans, plus they just watched him trump their franchise in the papers for 14 seasons, I just can't see them caring about Barry.

MaineRed
10-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Not in Oakland, their base is strong and they wouldn't draw too many extra to watch Barry strut around after a record. It's not the nature of their fans, plus they just watched him trump their franchise in the papers for 14 seasons, I just can't see them caring about Barry.

Don't you think more than a few Giant fans and baseball fans in general would go to the park as he approached the record and even as he passed it? Any HR after he breaks the record is going to be the new record and any HR hit by Bonds could be his last one.

I think Oakland would see some jump in attendance. Most of Barry's loyal fans are in that part of the country.

Matt700wlw
10-28-2006, 12:22 PM
It'd be great if nobody signs him....but that won't happen

savafan
10-28-2006, 12:34 PM
It'd be great if nobody signs him....but that won't happen

See Sosa, Sammy

westofyou
10-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I think Oakland would see some jump in attendance. Most of Barry's loyal fans are in that part of the country.

Maybe a small bit, but as a rule you don't see many folks who are Giants fans over in Oakland. It certainly wouldn't cover the cost.

Matt700wlw
10-28-2006, 12:37 PM
See Sosa, Sammy

See record, 755

savafan
10-28-2006, 12:42 PM
See record, 755

I don't want to. ;)

marcshoe
10-28-2006, 12:42 PM
I'd like to see him sign with the Giants.

The Yomiuri Giants.

MaineRed
10-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Maybe a small bit, but as a rule you don't see many folks who are Giants fans over in Oakland.

Well they've never had a 13 year Giant about to break the HR record in an A's uniform either.

I wouldn't expect to see many Yankee fans wandering around Flushing but if Jeter elects to finish his career for the Mets and gets close to Pete Rose's hit record, I think you'd see some Yankee caps pop up.

Number_Fourteen
10-29-2006, 07:38 AM

Bingo. I lived in Oakland for years, and true, they will not pack 'em in for Barry over the course of 81 games. Perhaps a small spike in attendance as WOY alluded to, but at best, it will be for only a handful of games as he nears the record. I just don't see him involved in what Oakland's trying to do. And, no way he signs a contract near as creative as Hurt's was for 2006.

redsfanfalcon
10-29-2006, 08:13 AM

That Frank Thomas was a spring chicken playing this year for those A's. :bang:

WVRed
10-29-2006, 12:21 PM
That Frank Thomas was a spring chicken playing this year for those A's. :bang:

Bingo.

I view it more in the same way I viewed Jerry Rice in the later stages of his career. Released by SF, relocated across the bay to Oakland. With Bonds health and declining performance, would teams really shell out the money to take him?

Number_Fourteen
10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Bingo.

I view it more in the same way I viewed Jerry Rice in the later stages of his career. Released by SF, relocated across the bay to Oakland. With Bonds health and declining performance, would teams really shell out the money to take him?

To a point, the Giants should. He's been in SF for the majority of his career & to let him go on the eve of the homerun record is a missed opportunity for the Giants, IMO. Perhaps SF is the only place they’ll go just to see Barry. And, next year, Barry’s run will be additional incentive for San Franciscans to visit SBC Park.

SF has the all-star game next year, a new manager, and it makes good business sense they feature Bonds' chase to this record. I’d guess McGowan shells out the dough to make it happen.

Chip R
10-29-2006, 10:15 PM
This Bonds situation hould be an interesting one. He says he wants to play only in a few places. But do these places want him and at what price? And speaking of price, how much are teams willing to pay for him and how much is he willing to play for? It's not like he's got a lot of leverage. While he still can hit well, he can't do much else well anymore. Plus he has all that baggage. I don't think anyone is going to get into a bidding war over him. My hope is that the Cubs pay him $15M to play for them. But that's pretty unlikely. I am guessing that he will stay with the Giants at a reduced salary.

RedFanAlways1966
10-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I am guessing that he will stay with the Giants at a reduced salary.

Anything that is a blow to his large ego and enlarged head is okay by me.

I look forward to the day when someone here at RZ posts a thread that reads "Bonds To Retire".

westofyou
11-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Apparently with Thomas gone I might have spoken too soon.

Over on ESPN there's this headline.

• Olney: A's could be interested in Bonds

Degenerate39
11-17-2006, 07:49 PM
A's considering Bonds as their new designated hitter

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
November 17, 2006

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- The Oakland Athletics need a designated hitter, and they aren't going far for one potential candidate to fill the spot: Barry Bonds.

A's general manager Billy Beane has had conversations with Bonds' agent Jeff Borris about the 42-year-old slugger, who has played the past 14 seasons with San Francisco. Oakland lost Frank Thomas on Friday when he finalized an $18.12 million, two-year contract with the Toronto Blue Jays.

Bonds, who became a free agent after the season at the conclusion of a $90 million, five-year deal with the Giants, also is being pursued by San Francisco. The seven-time NL MVP has said he would like to play his 22nd and perhaps final season for the Giants and finish his career in San Francisco, which hosts the 2007 All-Star game at its waterfront ballpark.

Bonds, who had surgery on his troublesome left elbow after the season ended, has 734 home runs and is closing on Hank Aaron's record of 755.

"We've talked about a lot of players internally," said A's assistant GM David Forst, speaking on behalf of the organization as Beane dealt with a death in the family. "Barry is one of the guys out there who we're considering. ... He's probably the best player in the game the last 15 years. I think anybody would be interested in having his bat in the lineup."

How much that would cost is another issue. If the A's couldn't keep Thomas, how would they possibly be able to afford to sign Bonds -- which makes a move by Bonds across San Francisco Bay to the American League appear to be a longshot. With Bonds also comes the constant accusations of steroid use and the possibility he will be indicted on perjury charges if a federal grand jury finds that he lied to another grand jury that he'd never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

While he is open to being a DH and no longer playing left field, Bonds doesn't want to take a big pay cut next season.

Still, new A's skipper Bob Geren, hired Friday as a first-year major league manager, has thought about the possibility of working with Bonds. And A's owner Lew Wolff has had kind words regarding Bonds' talent.

"I have let that creep in my mind," Geren said. "All I can say about him is he's the greatest player I've ever seen in my baseball life. I couldn't imagine anyone who wouldn't want him on his team."

After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs in 367 at-bats in 2006. His defense in left field was spotty at times, though Bonds showed late in the year that he had regained strength in his legs and made several running catches.

Bonds has helped the Giants draw 3 million fans in all seven seasons of their stadium's existence.