PDA

View Full Version : I thought David Eckstein didn't drink

cincinnati chili
10-28-2006, 11:17 AM
http://www.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2006/10/ecksteintequila.jpg

guess he does

OnBaseMachine
10-28-2006, 11:20 AM
I don't like that sawed-off runt for some reason. Probably because people think he is actually good due to the scrappiness factor.

Falls City Beer
10-28-2006, 12:46 PM

guess he does

Makes me think of that Minutemen song "Jesus and Tequila."

(Or is he supposed to be a teetotaler because of some health issue?)

Matt700wlw
10-28-2006, 01:03 PM

guess he does

CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

savafan
10-28-2006, 01:21 PM
I didn't know David Eckstein was old enough to drink. ;)

jimbo
10-28-2006, 01:28 PM

guess he does

Here's to the finely tuned athlete on the verge of greatness.

vaticanplum
10-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I imagine David Eckstein would get drunk if you had a Budweiser and breathed near him.

Surely after having tequila, he is hospitalized.

vaticanplum
10-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Also, this picture kind of makes me think better of him.

westofyou
10-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Makes me think of that Minutemen song "Jesus and Tequila."

(Or is he supposed to be a teetotaler because of some health issue?)

His family has major kideny issues in their history.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04272/386732.stm

His two sisters, Susan and Christine, and one of his two brothers, Ken, had to have extensive dialysis and eventually have kidney transplants. Eckstein's mother, Pat, donated one of her kidneys to Susan.

Now, Eckstein's father, Whitey, needs a transplant. Of the seven family members, only David and his brother Rick have been untouched by kidney disease. Genetic factors can contribute to kidney disease, although the Ecksteins present an unusual case.

ChatterRed
10-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Speaking of ICU.

Did you know that former skier, Picabo Street (pronounced Pee-ka-boo) is now a nurse working in a hospital? They had to move her from her first job answering the telephone. She would answer it like this: Picabo, ICU.

They got alot of complaints.

vaticanplum
10-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Now I feel like a tool, woy. I take it back: david Eckstein is awesome and should never drink and I was totally joking about the hospitalization thing :p:

Chip R
10-29-2006, 12:28 AM
That bottle is about as big as he is.

George Foster
10-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I don't have a problem with beer in the clubhouse, however there is no place for hard liquor in professional sports. Nice image for the young kids. You stay classy Eckstein. I guess he lost his spot as the spokesmen for the American Kidney Foundation.

The_jbh
10-30-2006, 08:41 PM
isn't it your liver that handles alcohol?

He just won the world series give the man a break jesus.

He not a good person because he celebrated by chugging tequila? I guess ive been a bad person since High School

kbrake
10-30-2006, 09:00 PM
I was drinking tequila at the same time trying to forget the Cards had really just won the world series.

KronoRed
10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Maybe it's apple juice
:)

Falls City Beer
10-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Maybe it's apple juice
:)

For that he'd get Krono Kred.

Cedric
10-30-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't have a problem with beer in the clubhouse, however there is no place for hard liquor in professional sports. Nice image for the young kids. You stay classy Eckstein. I guess he lost his spot as the spokesmen for the American Kidney Foundation.

Yep, he's a terrible example for kids. I mean he had everything handed to him and everyone patting him on the back his whole career.

Nothing classy about this guy. He should have realized some people have no perspective.

Red Hot Mama
10-30-2006, 09:38 PM
All this discussion based on the assumption that he swallowed.

Wheelhouse
10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't like that sawed-off runt for some reason. Probably because people think he is actually good due to the scrappiness factor.
He's pretty good whatever words you choose to describe him...

OnBaseMachine
10-30-2006, 09:48 PM

Career .710 OPS. Quite frankly, he's not very good. But I guess we're not using facts, right?

KronoRed
10-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Career .710 OPS. Quite frankly, he's not very good. But I guess we're not using facts, right?
He hustles.

kbrake
10-30-2006, 10:07 PM
And he has to get a running start to get the ball from short to first.

Cedric
10-30-2006, 10:24 PM

He fits a role very well, I agree. OPS is used way too much on this site. It's a tool, it's not the end all to evaluate players.

Using it to solely judge a leadoff hitter is just unwise.

Little things are absolutely hated by some on these sites, but nobody does them better than David Eckstein.

Just because the little things can't be summarized in a nice and tidy stat doesn't mean they aren't there. And every single person that can watch a baseball game realizes that David Eckstein helps his team score runs and save runs. Isn't that the idea?

Falls City Beer
10-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Eckstein's about as vanilla a player as you're going to find. And a few well-timed hits in the World Series doesn't change a thing.

He takes his place alongside Podsednik of last year's CWS in the anything-can-happen-in-the-playoffs sweepstakes.

Eckstein had a good WS because of the hitters behind him. Period.

I'll take what Molina did from the 7 and 8 spots in the order over what Eckstein did any day of the week.

Cedric
10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Eckstein's about as vanilla a player as you're going to find. And a few well-timed hits in the World Series doesn't change a thing.

He takes his place alongside Podsednik of last year's CWS in the anything-can-happen-in-the-playoffs sweepstakes.

Eckstein had a good WS because of the hitters behind him. Period.

He works the count, never strikes out, advances runners every time, never bungles fielding chances into huge innings, get's on base at a pretty good .355 clip and he's cheap.

That's vanilla? Every player has a role and some do it better than others.

Falls City Beer
10-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Eckstein's had exactly one good season in the Majors offensively--last season. And his fielding ain't that good. He'll be 32 in a couple of months.

One good season by age 32?

Vanilla.

Molina got on base in the Series far more than Eckstein. Plus he totally shut down any notion of the
Tigers taking a base. But then, he isn't a little midget with kidney problems, so it doesn't make a good story.

Such is the postseason award system.

Cedric
10-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Eckstein's had exactly one good season in the Majors offensively--last season. And his fielding ain't that good. He'll be 32 in a couple of months.

Vanilla.

Molina got on base in the Series far more than Eckstein. Plus he totally shut down any notion of the
Tigers taking a base. But then, he isn't a little midget with kidney problems, so it doesn't make a good story.

Such is the postseason award system.

Molina played great, what does that have to do with Eckstein again?

Falls City Beer
10-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Molina played great, what does that have to do with Eckstein again?

I thought this was an Eckstein deserving the MVP discussion.

Regardless, Eckstein's totally weak. My guess is that the Cardinals' will wisely dump him a la Womack. Similar caliber of player.

Falls City Beer
10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
For the record, I could see Wayne making a big push for a guy like Eckstein. He's old and mediocre; for Wayne that's pure gold.

cincinnati chili
10-30-2006, 11:09 PM

Vanilla.

I think he's overrated too. But take a look at 2002. It was arguably better than last year. 2001 wasn't bad either (.355 obp 29/33 stolen bases).

So that's two "good" seasons ('02 and '05) and two solid ones ('06 and '01)

I'd have to do a more thorough study of his defense, but on first blush he seems to be worth the money ($3.3 mil/year) to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4625

Cedric
10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
I think he's overrated too. But take a look at 2002. It was arguably better than last year. 2001 wasn't bad either (.355 obp 29/33 stolen bases).

So that's two "good" seasons ('02 and '05) and two solid ones ('06 and '01)

I'd have to do a more thorough study of his defense, but on first blush he seems to be worth the money ($3.3 mil/year) to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4625

Overrated has nothing to do with it, from my point of view. I couldn't care less what some moron like McCarver thinks. I'm just arguing that he's a good fit for most baseball teams.