PDA

View Full Version : Russ Ortiz

BEETTLEBUG
10-30-2006, 07:24 PM
I know he had a bad year this past year even when he went to his friend Orioles pitching coach. Would he be BIG risk or could he be resurrected again?

Degenerate39
10-30-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't know honestly. He's had a bad two years but every other year he's played I think he's looked pretty good. Since he's been so ****ty going 0-8 last year I'd say we could get him cheap.

dougflynn23
10-30-2006, 07:54 PM
I want the Reds to be a real baseball team and not have to pick up garbage that nobody wants anymore. Russ Ortiz is garbage. Bury that idea, and bury the shovel with it.

Patrick Bateman
10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I don't know honestly. He's had a bad two years but every other year he's played I think he's looked pretty good. Since he's been so ****ty going 0-8 last year I'd say we could get him cheap.

We could get him for nothing. He's been considerably worse than Milton the last 2 seasons. That's a bad trend developing.

I want to no part of him, even for nothing.

11BarryLarkin11
10-30-2006, 08:06 PM
We could get him for nothing. He's been considerably worse than Milton the last 2 seasons. That's a bad trend developing.

I want to no part of him, even for nothing.

I'd have to agree. I think Ortiz just walks too many hitters be an effective big league pitcher. In 2005, he had a BB/9 of 5.1 and in 2006 it was 5.7. On his career, he's walked 4.7 BB/9, which is really not good.

I hope we can set our sights a bit higher than Russ, as I have no confidence in the Reds being able to resurrect a pitcher that even Leo couldn't help.

Will M
10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
no

Topcat
10-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I pass on Russ and there was a time in his San Fran days, when I thought he was going to be a star.

Tom Servo
10-30-2006, 09:18 PM
I misread the topic title and thought it said Ramon Ortiz. I thought that was bad, until I realized it actually said Russ Ortiz and realized it was even worse.

BEETTLEBUG
10-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks I Was Just Asking.

TeamSelig
10-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Couldn't hurt to give him a ST invite. Bullpen conversion? Probably not, but a MLC wouldn't disappoint me.

MartyFan
10-31-2006, 12:56 AM
I want the Reds to be a real baseball team and not have to pick up garbage that nobody wants anymore. Russ Ortiz is garbage. Bury that idea, and bury the shovel with it.

Like Eckstien? Lugo? Frank Thomas? Aurillia?

just saying there are always players that nobody wants anymore who surprise people over the season.

Though I agree, Ortiz is nobody I want to see in a Reds Uni.

redsupport
10-31-2006, 01:39 AM
not half as good as the the other ortiz who was already jettisoned

Redsnake
10-31-2006, 08:12 AM
At first I was thinking NO! But the Reds need to find those cheap players that could be sleepers. The Reds took chances on players like Ron Gant, Paul Wilson, Aurilla, etc. and it paid off.
If the Reds can't afford or refuse to go after a Zito, Schmidt type player, then I'm all for a base salary minor league deal for a player that once was good. I say it's worth a try.

maniem
10-31-2006, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE]We could get him for nothing. He's been considerably worse than Milton the last 2 seasons. That's a bad trend developing.

I want to no part of him, even for nothing.[QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. The D-Backs signing of Russ Ortiz is the only one that could made the Milton signing look halfway respectable. That has to be one of the worst contracts the D-Backs have ever given.

savafan
10-31-2006, 10:06 AM
My thoughts exactly. The D-Backs signing of Russ Ortiz is the only one that could made the Milton signing look halfway respectable. That has to be one of the worst contracts the D-Backs have ever given.

You forget the Rockies signing of Mike Hampton.

SultanOfSwing
10-31-2006, 10:20 AM
The D-Backs signing of Russ Ortiz is the only one that could made the Milton signing look halfway respectable. That has to be one of the worst contracts the D-Backs have ever given.

Didn't the D-Backs give a $10m signing bonus to one of their draft picks? He was a total flop. I can't remember his name though.

RedsManRick
10-31-2006, 10:21 AM
At least Hampton came in to Colorado on the heels of 3 seasons with a sub 3.50 ERA and GB/FB ratio over 2.50. If anybody was going to be worth good money in Colorado, Hampton was the guy. As for Ortiz, like the Milton deal, it stunk from the very start and everybody wondered what they were thinking.

Handofdeath
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
I've seen Russ Ortiz's numbers and the drop over the last two seasons is very interesting. Actually I'm seeing it all over the majors so whatever is wrong with him must be contagious. I suspect a bad case of anabolicitis.