PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Belliard

MartyFan
10-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Ronnie Belliard filed for FA....do you think the Reds should or will make a play for him?

Of the other 2B/SS FA options who do you favor?

SultanOfSwing
10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
No thanks.

RedsManRick
10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Of all the options on the FA market and in house, I think Ryan Freel is easily the best 2B option for his price.

fewfirstchoice
10-31-2006, 11:37 AM
I hope to the good lord above the Reds dont try and sign Bellylard.He is probably my least favorite player in all of baseball.He thinks hes way better than he is and is very arrogant.

I got sort of a funny story about Mr. Belly.It was during the game that Ross hit the walkoff homer off Izzy.When Belly came to bat they showed a crazy pic. of him(his cap was on about as crooked as he could get it and get it to stay on)on the big screen and the whole stadium just cracked up.I just think it is disrespectful to the game for those players to pull there cap around to there ear and go play the field.You think Billy Martin or any of the old time managers would allow there players to wear caps in that way.

maniem
10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
He doesn't impress me much, although i must say that big mop of hair is quite flashy...I wonder if he and Tim "thug life" Hummel hang out together? :evil:

savafan
10-31-2006, 11:45 AM
I wonder if he and Tim "thug life" Hummel hang out together? :evil:

Hah!

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/tm.jpg

http://www.ejsmithweb.com/fr/thug_life.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/savafan/HumHumHumHumUNIT.jpg

klw
10-31-2006, 12:15 PM
I still think the Reds should look at Ray Durham for second with Phillips moving to 2nd. I am also intriqued by Nomar but he could be too costly for a poor fit unless he can stay healthy at 2nd.

TOBTTReds
10-31-2006, 12:18 PM
I hope to the good lord above the Reds dont try and sign Bellylard.He is probably my least favorite player in all of baseball.He thinks hes way better than he is and is very arrogant.

I got sort of a funny story about Mr. Belly.It was during the game that Ross hit the walkoff homer off Izzy.When Belly came to bat they showed a crazy pic. of him(his cap was on about as crooked as he could get it and get it to stay on)on the big screen and the whole stadium just cracked up.I just think it is disrespectful to the game for those players to pull there cap around to there ear and go play the field.You think Billy Martin or any of the old time managers would allow there players to wear caps in that way.

Seriously folks, we don't have to argue about how a player wears his hat anymore. This is ridiculous. You wouldn't want CC Sabathia on this team?? You don't want Brandon Phillips on this team? Manny Ramirez?

I'm tired of the attitude that a turned hat equals disrespect. That makes no sense to me. Why don't we argue about guys that cut the spandex out of there pants so the pant leg goes around their shoe (honestly I think have had that argument before, so nevermind).

FYI, I don't remember the whole stadium cracking up when seeing his picture either.

Why don't we talk about Spezio's chin thing? That to me is more ridiculous than a player tilting his cap.

marcshoe
10-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Thank you. I am so tired of the cap comments.

flyer85
10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
I could see the Reds having interest in Kennedy if they could get him on the cheap.

Cedric
10-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Seriously folks, we don't have to argue about how a player wears his hat anymore. This is ridiculous. You wouldn't want CC Sabathia on this team?? You don't want Brandon Phillips on this team? Manny Ramirez?

I'm tired of the attitude that a turned hat equals disrespect. That makes no sense to me. Why don't we argue about guys that cut the spandex out of there pants so the pant leg goes around their shoe (honestly I think have had that argument before, so nevermind).

FYI, I don't remember the whole stadium cracking up when seeing his picture either.

Why don't we talk about Spezio's chin thing? That to me is more ridiculous than a player tilting his cap.

I think people were cracking up, but not because of it looking ghetto or anything. It was just a VERY bad photo shop.

FutureRedsGM
10-31-2006, 12:33 PM
I have to agree with the "disrepecting the game" comments that I've read here about the likes of Ronnie Belly. I don't pretend to know him as a person, but he just comes across as the kind of player that I wouldn't want to see in the line-up everyday.

I think there are better options out there, including Ray Durham. If I could wave a magic wand, WK would orchestrate a trade for Giles from the Braves or one of Texas' middle infielders (Young or Kinsler).

TeamSelig
10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Isn't Durham like 57 years old?

texasdave
10-31-2006, 12:52 PM
I still think the Reds should look at Ray Durham for second with Phillips moving to 2nd. I am also intriqued by Nomar but he could be too costly for a poor fit unless he can stay healthy at 2nd.

Why would the Reds want to go after Ray Durham and not try to keep Rich Aurilia?

1)They are the practically the same age. Ray Durham is just three months younger.

2)Ray Durham made much more in salary in 2006 than did Aurilia. (Baseball-reference.com shows Durham's salary as 7,000,000, Aurilia's as 1,300.000) This would lead me to believe that Durham is going to be asking much more for 2007 than Aurilia.

3)Aurilia is a more valuable defender. Durham has played every game of his career but one at second base and seems to be an average fielder. Aurilia is also an average fielder, but has more versatility and can play a more difficult position- shortstop.

4)Ray Durham had a better offensive year. But it needs to be noted that in 2006 his slugging percentage was 100 points higher than his career average. Also, he posted his career high in OPS in 2006. Rich Aurilia may have had a late-season career year, but quite possibly the same can be said for Ray Durham.

5)The Reds and Aurilia have some history together. There have been rumblings on this board about Rich's recent comments regarding when and where he would play. Unless he actually refused to play a position, or it can be show that his attitude causes a problem in the clubhouse, these statements are a non-issue IMO.

If there is no way to keep Aurilia then Durham might be a viable option. But until such time I would prefer going after RA.

TeamSelig
10-31-2006, 12:57 PM
I might go for Belliard but I don't think I'd throw a whole lot of money at him

klw
10-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Why would the Reds want to go after Ray Durham and not try to keep Rich Aurilia?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5323

I would be fine with the Reds installing Aurilia at 2nd as an option though my gut tells me he will be going elsewhere. It seems that Durham is one of those guys who winning seems to follow, intangibles, yada yada yada. He is steady offensively though not the stolen base threat that he used to be. His defense still seems solid though his zone factor took a dip in '05 it looks to have rebounded in '06. I would also would be surprised if his salary didn't come down for '07 and Aurillia's rose.

terminator
10-31-2006, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't want to pay $4MM (2006 salary) for Belliard. He's nothing special really. I'd rather have Aurilia and barring that, I'd rather stick with our in-house options.

fewfirstchoice
10-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Guys you all have your oppinion and I have mine.A cap wore not facing frontwards is a shot of disrespect in every way.So are some other things in todays game of baseball.Not running out a ground ball,watching a homer,walking to your postion on defense,and numerous other things.I just think baseball would be a better game if the team owners would crack down and have certain guidelines to how the game should be played.I say fine a player who does any of the above.Baseball is a business first and foremost to these owners and they want to earn money.If they would cut down these things and make a player hustle and dress right,like a bussiness man.Meaning how many lawyers do you see wearing there suit out of place or side ways,none.If this happened they would be less nonsense happening off the field and you would get better results on the field.I know this because I have seen it happen,in college and in the minors.Now if the Big leagues could just make it happen.

Let me tell you another story about a cap being wore the wrong way.I had a professor at N. Dakota St. and his name was Bill.If you wore a cap backwards in his class or office he would make you take it off and turn it frontwards.He said he didnt want anyone wearing their cap bill toward their butt.He said it was disrepectful toward he has a man and any person named Bill.Now do I think that was a little over board of course I do.I think he was just trying to take the thug out of his class,and he has that right.So do the owners of business which are baseball teams.

As to the game with Bellylards pic. and the people talking about it.I was sitting about 10 rows behind the Reds dugout and about all the people around myself was saying how thug Belly man was.If some of you cant look and see that there is way to much thug life in pro sports your just wearing blinders man.Athletes are just running into way to much trouble these days dealing with shootings and associating with the wrong kind of people.If the thug was taken out of the game it would make for better game and life for the fans and players.

Danny Serafini
10-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Look at that hat, this dude is straight thuggin'. I heard he went drinking with Chris Henry last night and stole some old lady's purse.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2004/writers/frank_deford/11/24/wistful.day/p1_griffey_getty.jpg

fewfirstchoice
10-31-2006, 03:32 PM
He is wearing his hat backwards during BP man.Has Griffey ever took a pitch during a game with his hat backwards or crooked.....NO!!!I would bet if you ask Griffey about Players wearing their hats crooked he would not incourage it.

I know that crooked hats are the style now and the pips like to stay in style.But why do they have to do it while they are at work.They are professionals why not dress like and act like it.I am only 26 and understand style these days are everything,if you dont have it your not cool.I just dont understand why it has be everywhere.Ecspecially in our sports that we love to root for and would do about anything to see them win.Just why bring it to sports,put your uniform on one leg at a time and pull you hat down over your eyes not your ear thanks.

TOBTTReds
10-31-2006, 03:45 PM
I know that crooked hats are the style now and the pips like to stay in style.But why do they have to do it while they are at work.They are professionals why not dress like and act like it.I am only 26 and understand style these days are everything,if you dont have it your not cool.I just dont understand why it has be everywhere.Ecspecially in our sports that we love to root for and would do about anything to see them win.Just why bring it to sports,put your uniform on one leg at a time and pull you hat down over your eyes not your ear thanks.

You want them to wear a tie when they play? That is a bit far.

Anyway, they are being seen by millions throughout the year, and that is one way to show who they are. So...no earings or goatees either right? Other guys do it with multiple wrist bands, socks pulled up, eye black, different colored bats (should we have all non-painted bats), some where 1/4 sleeves or full long sleeves even when it isn't necessary (Griffey in 80 degree heat).

GET OVER IT. IT IS A HAT, IT DOESN'T EFFECT YOU AT ALL!

Look at this crazy gangster.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/images/ruth_babe_4.jpg

He is wearing his hat backwards during BP man.Has Griffey ever took a pitch during a game with his hat backwards or crooked.....NO!!!I would bet if you ask Griffey about Players wearing their hats crooked he would not incourage it.
He would not care one single bit about that.

klw
10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh no backwards helmet. With the added strength surely this is worse.http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/events/hutch_award/img/1033a_johnny_bench.gif

Tom Lawless Fan
10-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Finally somebody agrees with me. we already gotten rid of two of the big thugs in the trade why do wen need another?

Spring~Fields
10-31-2006, 05:14 PM
There are some other's beside Belliard.
I don't know much about them other than a quick glance at there stats.

What do you folks think of the ones that have filed so far?

2006 Salaries
Adam Kennedy 2b 3,350,000
Mark Loretta 2b 3,250,000
Ron Belliard, 2B 4,000,000
Todd Walker, 2B 2,500,000

RedsManRick
10-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Guys you all have your oppinion and I have mine.A cap wore not facing frontwards is a shot of disrespect in every way.So are some other things in todays game of baseball.Not running out a ground ball,watching a homer,walking to your postion on defense,and numerous other things.I just think baseball would be a better game if the team owners would crack down and have certain guidelines to how the game should be played.I say fine a player who does any of the above.Baseball is a business first and foremost to these owners and they want to earn money.If they would cut down these things and make a player hustle and dress right,like a bussiness man.Meaning how many lawyers do you see wearing there suit out of place or side ways,none.If this happened they would be less nonsense happening off the field and you would get better results on the field.I know this because I have seen it happen,in college and in the minors.Now if the Big leagues could just make it happen.

Let me tell you another story about a cap being wore the wrong way.I had a professor at N. Dakota St. and his name was Bill.If you wore a cap backwards in his class or office he would make you take it off and turn it frontwards.He said he didnt want anyone wearing their cap bill toward their butt.He said it was disrepectful toward he has a man and any person named Bill.Now do I think that was a little over board of course I do.I think he was just trying to take the thug out of his class,and he has that right.So do the owners of business which are baseball teams.

As to the game with Bellylards pic. and the people talking about it.I was sitting about 10 rows behind the Reds dugout and about all the people around myself was saying how thug Belly man was.If some of you cant look and see that there is way to much thug life in pro sports your just wearing blinders man.Athletes are just running into way to much trouble these days dealing with shootings and associating with the wrong kind of people.If the thug was taken out of the game it would make for better game and life for the fans and players.

I just don't think Belliard is that great of a baseball player. He can wear his hat however he wants.

Adam Kennedy 2b 3,350,000: .273/.334/.384
Mark Loretta 2b 3,250,000: .285/.345/.361
Ron Belliard, 2B 4,000,000: .272/.322/.403
Todd Walker, 2B 2,500,000: .278/.356/.398
Ryan Freel, 2B 1,300,000: .271/.363/.399

I'll take the guy who's the cheapest and best offensive performer please. Luckily, we already have him.

fewfirstchoice
10-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey 51 do you even think that the Babe has his cap that way because of the style that goes along with it,I say NO.The Babe is a lefty and all leftys have a slight tilt to there cap when they put it on,because they are left handed.Saying the Babe wouldnt care is a joke.If a guy wore a cap that way trying to be cool the Babe would knock his cap off plain and simple.But you are right it doesnt effect me in the least bit and for that I am thankful.

One more thing I have a feeling you never played baseball past senior or babe ruth league did you.If you had you would know that even other players get on each other for having caps and unis on different.Some even take offense at it,saying that there trying to take attention off the game and put it on thereselfs.So my last word on this is this.We all know that doing these things are just putting attention on players and they know it as well.So if you do something trying to draw attention to yourself and away from what your doing(playing baseball)that is trying to be disrespectful to what ever you are doing.I for one think that no one is above baseball and that is how all real fans should feel.Its sad to see that there are alot of fake fans on this board.

Jr's Boy
11-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Well if MLB is going to bring more young fans into the sport which is sorely needed,they need something or someone to relate too.And it is'nt just thugs who where their cap tilted,I wear mine tilted a little.Times change and if a player wants to wear it in a way that's comfortable to him then so be it.There's my two cents worth,because this hat topic is near ad nauseum.

savafan
11-01-2006, 09:14 AM
the pips like to stay in style.

http://www.timelesstracks.com/acatalog/gladys_knight_pips_large.jpg

Gladys Knight says hi! :wave:

Will M
11-01-2006, 09:22 AM
count me as one who wants a team of PROFESSIONAL players not a bunch of generation X & Y idiots.

pahster
11-01-2006, 09:28 AM
One more thing I have a feeling you never played baseball past senior or babe ruth league did you.If you had you would know that even other players get on each other for having caps and unis on different.Some even take offense at it,saying that there trying to take attention off the game and put it on thereselfs.So my last word on this is this.We all know that doing these things are just putting attention on players and they know it as well.So if you do something trying to draw attention to yourself and away from what your doing(playing baseball)that is trying to be disrespectful to what ever you are doing.I for one think that no one is above baseball and that is how all real fans should feel.Its sad to see that there are alot of fake fans on this board.

I played competative baseball until I graduated from high school. I play in a rec league now. I seem to have missed the part where other players take offense to the way anyone else wore their uniform. I don't even wear a hat during games anymore.

Thanks for letting us know how we as "real fans" should feel, though.

fewfirstchoice
11-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Rec. league,you wouldnt even have to show up and no one would care or know,so why does it matter if you wear a cap there.Playing orginaized BB through high school is alot different than college or and professionial.When you get to play college or minor league BB send another post my way,until then you really dont understand how other players feel.

Hello Gladys!!!!!

pahster
11-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Rec. league,you wouldnt even have to show up and no one would care or know,so why does it matter if you wear a cap there.Playing orginaized BB through high school is alot different than college or and professionial.When you get to play college or minor league BB send another post my way,until then you really dont understand how other players feel.

Obviously not if so many players choose to "disrespect" the game in the majors. Besides, what happened to your comment about playing past Babe Ruth?

I have friends who do play or have played college ball. For the most part, they wore their uniforms as they pleased.

I don't have time to dig it up right now because I've gotta head to class, but I think WOY or someone once posted a picture of Honus Wagner or someone fielding with his hat on backwards.

TOBTTReds
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
fewfirstchoice:
One more thing I have a feeling you never played baseball past senior or babe ruth league did you.If you had you would know that even other players get on each other for having caps and unis on different.Some even take offense at it,saying that there trying to take attention off the game and put it on thereselfs.

College assistant coach and scout.

jesusfan
11-01-2006, 03:27 PM
I would much rather sign a FA rightfielder and play Freel/Olmedo/Harris at 2nd, than sign Loretta, or Belliard!

TOBTTReds
11-01-2006, 04:04 PM
I would much rather sign a FA rightfielder and play Freel/Olmedo/Harris at 2nd, than sign Loretta, or Belliard!

I really don't think Freel is that good of a 2B. Also, I personally would rather have Freel's range in the OF. Because with Dunn and Griffey out there, somebody has to cover some ground.

Newman4
12-30-2006, 09:34 PM

That's what I'm talking about right there.:thumbup: I just want to pull the hell out of that stupid chin hair. I heard a drunk guy in a sports restaurant last year when he saw Spezio ask "does the carpet match the blinds?" :eek: Needless to say, the whole place almost went quiet except for the drunk guy laughing at himself. :rolleyes:

vaticanplum
12-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Hey 51 do you even think that the Babe has his cap that way because of the style that goes along with it,I say NO.The Babe is a lefty and all leftys have a slight tilt to there cap when they put it on,because they are left handed.Saying the Babe wouldnt care is a joke.If a guy wore a cap that way trying to be cool the Babe would knock his cap off plain and simple.But you are right it doesnt effect me in the least bit and for that I am thankful.

Dude, I'll happily talk about baseball fashion for a hundred hours straight, but the way Ronnie Beillard wears his hat has absolutely nothing to do with the way he plays baseball. You can argue that your college professor ran the tightest ship in the world, but you can't prove that it got better grades out of his students.

If the Reds choose to enact a hatwear policy, then Ronnie Beillard, if a Red, would be forced to abide by it. It's a private organization and they're entitled to whatever rules they want. But right now, he's not playing for such an organization, so he's showing zero "disrespect" by wearing his hat the way he does. He's respecting himself, in fact, his fashion choices, and perhaps something personal. It may offend you, but Ronnie Beillard doesn't play baseball for you.

And beyond the baseball to the behavior...equating hat placement, particularly within Major League Baseball, with thuglike behavior is a fallacy and in fact a stereotype. I don't believe I've ever once heard anything about disrespectful or thuggish behavior from Beillard. And as for baseball, I happen to think he moves pretty well for a fat guy.

foxfire123
12-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Gawd NO!!!! That wanna be Gangsta look is just irritating. Pass, pass pass. He can't play worth a squat anyway.