PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Champions League

M2
10-31-2006, 07:11 PM
We've got a decent number of soccer fans around here and I figured I wasn't alone in following the action.

Bayern Munich, Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven and Valencia are already through to the round of 16. Barring a complete collapse, Chelsea and Roma will be there too. That leaves defending champs Barcelona needing a win against Werder Bremen to advance out of Group B and Inter Milan and Sporting Lisbon vying for the final spot in Group C.

Liverpool's looking particularly strong these days as Luis Garcia has elevated his game to a new level (the man may just have had his best week ever). PSV's been dominating its opponents as well. Those two meet again with first place in the group up for grabs and it could be the best match of the group stages (though I imagine Real Madrid is aching for some revenge against Lyon too).

Anyway, I'm curious to see which clubs people think can win this year and who's rooting for which teams.

reds1869
10-31-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm an Arsenal supporter so I don't want to talk about it. :)

In all seriousness I also like Liverpool, even though I know that's a mortal sin for a Gunner. I grew up cheering for the Reds but have since converted because of my London connections. Liverpool looks mighty strong this year, and until someone else shows otherwise I tab them as favorites.

Cedric
10-31-2006, 07:38 PM
I think Lyon or Chelsea win. I know it's not going out on a limb really, but Lyon is just incredible.

Michael Essein and Didier Drogba are just out of their minds right now. If Cech comes back to form they are going to be very tough to beat.

I'm rooting for Man U.

Nugget
10-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Its still early in the season and the draw for the next round will be interesting. I'm a REDS supporter and they have always managed to play well in the cups. They seem to lack consistency in the day in day out grind of the premiership.

NJReds
11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Roma's got a lot of talent, but can't seem to put it together this year...even in league play.

WMR
11-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I think Lyon or Chelsea win. I know it's not going out on a limb really, but Lyon is just incredible.

Michael Essein and Didier Drogba are just out of their minds right now. If Cech comes back to form they are going to be very tough to beat.

I'm rooting for Man U.

It doesn't sound like Cech is going to be back anytime remotely soon.

Chelsea is still my pick. They're nowhere close to forming the cohesion that I think they'll eventually achieve but they've got the ability to get by on raw talent and individual brilliance until they do.

M2
11-01-2006, 12:48 PM
If Lyon hadn't recently lost Fred for the season, I'd say they were the hands-down favorites. They're probably the best defensive team in the competition (midfielder Jeremy Toulalan is one man brick wall).

I'm a Real fan and they seem to have found the right combination with a 4-3-3. Helguera's clicked with Cannivaro in the central defense. Sergio Ramos and Roberto Carlos are gifted outer backs. Diarra, Emerson and Guti form solid midfield and Raul, Robinho and Ruud (van Nistlerooy) can attack with the best of them. Basically, benching David Beckham was exactly what the team needed. It doesn't hurt that Iker Casillas is one of the best keepers on the planet.

Though I keep thinking Arsenal's going deep into the tournament too. If Rosicky can mesh with Cesc, Gilberto and Hleb, that's a formidable midfield. Hell, their bench could make the round of 16.

M2
11-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I have no idea what the record is for missing open nets, but Arsenal looks to be well on its way in today's game.

westofyou
11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I have no idea what the record is for missing open nets, but Arsenal looks to be well on its way in today's game.

That's how you lose, you own the other teams half and they have one good corner and end up beating you. Then your next match is in a blizzard in Poland.

Red Heeler
11-05-2006, 07:36 AM
I'm a Real fan and they seem to have found the right combination with a 4-3-3. Helguera's clicked with Cannivaro in the central defense. Sergio Ramos and Roberto Carlos are gifted outer backs. Diarra, Emerson and Guti form solid midfield and Raul, Robinho and Ruud (van Nistlerooy) can attack with the best of them. Basically, benching David Beckham was exactly what the team needed. It doesn't hurt that Iker Casillas is one of the best keepers on the planet.

I'm a Real fan, too. I wonder what has happened to Becks since last spring. At the end of last season, he was running his legs off while the other vets on the team were mailing it in. In the World Cup and this Spanish season, he has looked old and lethargic.

Yachtzee
11-05-2006, 09:01 AM
The teams I'm pulling for, in no particular order:

Liverpool and Arsenal - From my earlier foray into picking an EPL team to follow, these are two of the teams I've felt drawn to.

Bayern Munich - Lived down the road from Munich in Salzburg, Austria for a while. Munich is my favorite German city.

Celtic - Mom's family is Clan MacAllister. Gotta root for the Hoops.

I'd also like to see an underdog like AEK Athens make it through.

M2
11-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Celtic just took a 1-0 lead late against Man U. Huge upset if it holds.

Cedric
11-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't quite understand Wayne Rooney right now. One moment he's the best striker in the world, the next he is just tentative.

Kills me.

M2
11-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Huge penalty shot save for Celtic in the 88th minute.

M2
11-21-2006, 04:42 PM
And a stadium full of Scotsmen breaks out into song.

Even if you don't like soccer, you've got to love the fans. The spent the last four minutes of the game going crazy after the save by Boruc too. Imagine that. One play and everyone in the stadium is celebrating it for four full minutes.

M2
11-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Great game between Real Madrid and Lyon. Lyon looked great for the first 35 minutes of each half and then Real came back with furious finishes.

I'd love to see these two teams in the final.

Betterread
11-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Roma's got a lot of talent, but can't seem to put it together this year...even in league play.
Take heart! They have taken 12 points from the last four serie A matches including two wins over Fiorentina and Milan (at the San Siro!) and have scored 13 goals in the 4 wins, yielding only 2. That puts them in 3rd place, having already played Inter and Milan. I am optimistic that they will win tomorrow in Ukraine, which would pretty much guarantee their advancement from the group stage. Also, I saw them play live vrs, Fiorentina and Milan and they dominated, playing very attractive soccer. Here's an account of the winning goal vrs. Milan (courtesy of Roberto Gotta), enjoy:

.......one of the most amazing pieces of skill I have seen in years of watching this beautiful game. It happened seven minutes from the end of Milan's 1-2 home defeat to Roma last Saturday.

After Kaka under-hit a square pass to Clarence Seedorf which the Dutchman failed to control, the ball fell to Alberto Aquilani, the young Roma midfielder , who earned his first national team call-up a few hours later.

Seeing how Mancini had made a great run on the left side and that the moment had to be seized before Alessandro Nesta closed him down, Aquilani quickly delivered the ball with an astonishing 'rabona', a name which apparently derived from tango: with his back to the goal and the ball rolling towards his lesser-favoured left foot, Aquilani simply hit it with his right by crossing it behind his left leg.

Many footballers do this kind of stuff in practice, very few try it during a match and even fewer avoid making fools of themselves in the process.

Aquilani not only struck the ball perfectly with the toe-cum-inside of his right foot, but laser-guided it in the exact place, fifteen yards away, for Mancini to let it bounce a couple of times then send in a sweet cross with the inside of his left foot which Francesco Totti met with a diving header.

A beauty of a goal which I could watch over and over, it embodies the essence of the exquisite skills some of the top players possess, and which make watching this game still worthwhile despite all the dodgy stuff going on in some boardrooms and behind the scenes.

ochre
11-21-2006, 11:51 PM
same guy? same move, different match?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dD12VUaRCA

ochre
11-21-2006, 11:54 PM
actually, I think this is the one described:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJTtC8n94Rc

NJReds
11-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Take heart! They have taken 12 points from the last four serie A matches including two wins over Fiorentina and Milan (at the San Siro!) and have scored 13 goals in the 4 wins, yielding only 2.

Yes. Them seem to have found their way lately.

NJReds
11-22-2006, 10:17 AM
And a stadium full of Scotsmen breaks out into song.

Even if you don't like soccer, you've got to love the fans. The spent the last four minutes of the game going crazy after the save by Boruc too. Imagine that. One play and everyone in the stadium is celebrating it for four full minutes.

Amazing scene. I was surprised that ESPNNews actually showed the fans singing as part of the highlights package.

WMR
11-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Could ESPN actually get better ratings for all that poker crap than CL or top-flight EPL matches?

Even if they showed them late at night or something... ESPN really ought to increase it's European soccer presence.

Yachtzee
11-22-2006, 11:28 AM
ESPN2 does show 3 or 4 Champions League games in the weeks they play and has a highlight show on Fridays. They just show them during the day, when I have class or have to work. Having Tivo helps.

Hoosier Red
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Plus it's production cost.
Poker is unbelievably cheap to produce. That's why it's on 4 networks all the time.
A solid Football or Soccer broadcast is really expensive.
Even the awful ones where there's one camera and the ESPN announcers are back in Bristol watching the same thing we are cost some money.

westofyou
11-26-2006, 11:21 AM
FYI

Fox Soccer Channel is free this weekend.

Right now Chelsea is playing Man United....live that is

M2
12-15-2006, 10:16 AM
The round of 16 draw came through today.

The pairing everyone's going to be talking about is Barcelona vs. Liverpool, the two teams who've won the last two cups. For those who don't know, this next round will be a two-game affair, one at each team's stadium, where goal differential gets you through.

Arsenal has drawn Dutch powerhouse PSV Eindhoven. Chelsea's drawn Portugese league leader FC Porto. The Real Madrid-Bayern Munich pairing is the rough equivalent of Ohio State-Michigan. It's the 17th time those two have met in the Champions Cup.

The one matchup that may get overlooked is AS Roma, 2nd in Italy at the moment, vs. Olympique Lyonnais, which may be the best French side ever. Though Lyon's lost a few strikers to injury, which could make them vulnerable.

Man U. drew Lille, who should play them tough, but probably doesn't have what it takes to win. Italian powerhouse Inter Milan gets Valencia, which can be dangerous until it gives up a lead, then it folds.

And Celtic gets AC Milan, which is having a poor season outside the Champions Cup.

Random guesses on the winners:

Barca, Chelsea, Celtic, PSV, Man U., Lyon, Real and Inter

WMR
12-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Heard that Lyon may attempt to add David Trezeguet when the transfer window re-opens... he's not Cup-tied either, which makes him particularly attractive.

M2
12-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Heard that Lyon may attempt to add David Trezeguet when the transfer window re-opens... he's not Cup-tied either, which makes him particularly attractive.

Just don't ask him to take a penalty shot. Supposedly he's still feeling the hangover from his World Cup miss.

If I were a top tier team with some money to spend and I needed a striker, I'd be plucking Darren Bent from Charlton. That team's headed nowhere but toward relegation. Bent, however, looks like something special.

timmario66
12-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Late into this, I'm a big Chelsea supporter. Went over at the end of September and saw them play at Fulham and home against Aston Villa. If you haven't had a chance to see an EPL game I highly recommend it. Took a tour of Stamford Bridge. I think some high schools have bigger stadium than Craven Cottage.

Almost got in a little tussle because I was in the Fulham stands and tried to take a picture when Super Frankie Lampard was attempting a PK. The nut next to me try to break my camera even though I sat the whole game and didn't make a peep for either side.

timmario66
02-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Barca lose 2-1 to Liverpool at home. Defending champs are on the rope.

Terry gets hurt early on in Chelsea's 1-1 draw against Porto.

What does everyone think of Giggs free kick yesterday against Lille. I didn't think it was very sporting.

WMR
02-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Gerrard came out talking tough and backed it up on the pitch.

WMR
02-21-2007, 04:44 PM
What did Giggs do on the free kick?

Yachtzee
02-21-2007, 04:47 PM
What did Giggs do on the free kick?

Didn't see it, but I heard he took it while the Lille goalie was still positioning his teammates for the kick.

WMR
02-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Did he score? Had the referee given him permission to proceed? That'd be the crux of it, IMO.

timmario66
02-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Did he score? Had the referee given him permission to proceed? That'd be the crux of it, IMO.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-keC9GymLpI

You make the decision. I just didn't think it was very sporting but I don't blame him.

M2
02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
The ref of the Lille-Man U game should be barred from the Champions League for at least five years. You don't allow a quick start on a ball from that spot on the field. He made it even worse by not signalling toward the Lille players that he was going to allow the quick start.

Technically it was within the rules, but the reality is Man U won on a cheap goal scored while Lille was setting up their wall and that certainly is less than sporting.

Barca's in huge trouble. They need to score twice an Anfield in order to have any chance at moving forward. Inter's also up against it, surrendering two away goals to Valencia. PSV did what it had to against Arsenal. Chelsea survived Terry's injury to get an away goal in a tie against Porto. Celtic will need to find some away form against Milan. Real and Bayern Munich is like watching two train wrecks collide, no telling what kind of mayhem will ensue in the next leg (Real surrendering that late goal to cut their lead to 3-2 could come back to plague them). Lyon outplayed Roma, but didn't get a goal for it. Then again, Roma could play Lyon for a week straight and still not score against that defense, so you've got to like Lyon's chances of going home in two weeks and getting a victory, plus Fred should be fully fit by then.

westofyou
02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
That's about the cheapest goal you'll ever see in a pro league.

M2
03-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Roma's pulling a shocker against Lyon at the half, up 2-0. Lyon's owned the ball, but Roma's scored both times it put the ball on net. The French side will need to score 3 in the second half to advance.

Porto's also up a goal on Chelsea at the moment. Liverpool and Barca are tied at 0-0, with Barca needing two goals to have a chance at advancing. Valencia and Inter are also scoreless. If that finishes nil-nil or 1-1, Valencia advances on away goals.

So it could be four relatively huge upsets this afternoon with four giants heading out.

timmario66
03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Roma's pulling a shocker against Lyon at the half, up 2-0. Lyon's owned the ball, but Roma's scored both times it put the ball on net. The French side will need to score 3 in the second half to advance.

Porto's also up a goal on Chelsea at the moment. Liverpool and Barca are tied at 0-0, with Barca needing two goals to have a chance at advancing. Valencia and Inter are also scoreless. If that finishes nil-nil or 1-1, Valencia advances on away goals.

So it could be four relatively huge upsets this afternoon with four giants heading out.

Chelsea doesn't let it go 4-4 in upsets coming back to win 2-1. Can't wait to watch the 2nd half on replay when I get home from work.

Can Arsenal overcome their 1 goal deficit tomorrow to help England have 4 in the quarterfinals?

Cedric
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-keC9GymLpI

You make the decision. I just didn't think it was very sporting but I don't blame him.

The referee stepped away. It's a nothing issue and the whining afterwards has been pretty embarrassing for Lille. Unwritten rules and the like have no place in sports, IMO.

Their keeper took about ten hours to get his wall lined up. They were stalling to not allow an away goal and they got beat.

reds1869
03-06-2007, 05:51 PM
The Inter result is fairly shocking; they've been almost invincible this season and imo are a superior team to Valencia. I have never been a big fan of the away goals rule.

Oh, and I have a soft spot for Inter. Should've mentioned that. :cool:

M2
03-07-2007, 01:15 AM
The Inter result is fairly shocking; they've been almost invincible this season and imo are a superior team to Valencia. I have never been a big fan of the away goals rule.

Valencia plays in a far superior league and Villa and Morientes are a lethal attacking duo. Inter clearly decided after the first contest to lay back and go for a smash-and-grab win. Typical cynical Italian football. Inter did well in only going out on away goals.

Interestingly, the best club in Europe might not have been in the Champions League this year. FC Sevilla has a very good chance of sweeping La Liga, the Copa del Rey and the UEFA Cup in the coming months. I'd love to see that team butt heads with Man U or Chelsea.

Red Heeler
03-07-2007, 07:11 AM

Barcelona bounced out on away goals, too. FIFA needs to come up with a better way to determine winners than away goals and penalty kicks.

I would like to see FIFA adopt a golden goal system similar to one used in an indoor tournament I played in. No subs allowed after regulation ends. After five minutes of extra time, each team must send one player off. Five more minutes, another player off. The game continues in this way until somebody scores.

thatcoolguy_22
03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Barcelona bounced out on away goals, too. FIFA needs to come up with a better way to determine winners than away goals and penalty kicks.

I would like to see FIFA adopt a golden goal system similar to one used in an indoor tournament I played in. No subs allowed after regulation ends. After five minutes of extra time, each team must send one player off. Five more minutes, another player off. The game continues in this way until somebody scores.

THIS RULE IS RIDICULOUS!!!! Either only play a single game or run it to 3. Barcelona looked much sharper in both games. Their offense is intricate and the runs come from everywhere unlike Liverpool. This away goals rule has to be demolished.

M2
03-07-2007, 09:22 AM

I don't mind the away goals rule for the home-and-home round of 16 games or the quarterfinals. It gives both games equal weight and fans of both teams a chance to see the contest. Though it might be interesting to do a single game with the golden format for the semis and final.

WMR
03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
I really like the Champions League theme music.

M2
03-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo with shades of Real's Paco Llorente against Porto in 1987.

Ronaldo blew past two defenders down the left side, took the ball right to the back line and lined a pass back to the middle onto the head of Henrik Larsson, who knocked the ball into a wide open net. The defense never had a chance.

Forget about Ronaldinho, Cristiano is the most dangerous player on the planet these days.

timmario66
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Now both finalists from last season are gone as Arsenal loses the aggregate to PSV. The upsets continue.

I see AC Milan and Celtic drew nil-nil again but don't see any extra time on ESPN scoreboard.:confused: Edit: They updated it and AC Milan scores in the 93rd minute.

M2
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Now both finalists from last season are gone as Arsenal loses the aggregate to PSV. The upsets continue.

I see AC Milan and Celtic drew nil-nil again but don't see any extra time on ESPN scoreboard.:confused: Edit: They updated it and AC Milan scores in the 93rd minute.

Bummer, I was really rooting for Celtic to make a run.

I'm not sure how much of an upset PSV is. That's an awfully good team and Arsenal has hardly been a world-beating club this season.

M2
03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Real Madrid gave away their one goal advantage 15 seconds into the game against Bayern Munich. Man that team has gone to the dogs of late.

Though maybe this will lead to the overdue dismissal of Fabio Capello. Can't believe he stuck Robinho and Guti on the bench to start this game.

Yachtzee
03-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Good think my Remedies class is only once a week. My professor the Arsenal fan is probably none too happy.

I really wanted to see Celtic win. Love the hoops. Hate the AC ever since a little incident involving a water bottle and a goalie's head against SV Austria Salzburg back in the '90s.

reds1869
03-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I wish Celtic could have pulled it out, too; they are a very lovable club. Milan has been woefully inconsistent this year, but they turned it on when they had to.

M2
03-08-2007, 12:50 AM
I wish Celtic could have pulled it out, too; they are a very lovable club. Milan has been woefully inconsistent this year, but they turned it on when they had to.

It helps to have Kaka.

RawOwl UK
03-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Talking about Celtic !!!! How the hell does a team that contains Paul Telfer reach the latter stages of the Champions league :).

Taking Nakamura off probably was a mistake especially with the free kick they had at the end of extra time.

Red Heeler
03-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Real Madrid gave away their one goal advantage 15 seconds into the game against Bayern Munich. Man that team has gone to the dogs of late.

Though maybe this will lead to the overdue dismissal of Fabio Capello. Can't believe he stuck Robinho and Guti on the bench to start this game.

I know that Capello is a very successful and respected coach, but his line-ups for Real have been Bob Boone-ish. That team should have an explosive offense with Guti, Robinho, Reyes, van Nistelrooy, etc., but they never get on the field at the same time. Plodders like Emerson, Diara, and Raul (sorry, he's over the hill) have been slowing the team down all year.

M2
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I know that Capello is a very successful and respected coach, but his line-ups for Real have been Bob Boone-ish. That team should have an explosive offense with Guti, Robinho, Reyes, van Nistelrooy, etc., but they never get on the field at the same time. Plodders like Emerson, Diara, and Raul (sorry, he's over the hill) have been slowing the team down all year.

I completely agree. It was interesting to watch the team get instantly better when Guti came in and then again when Robinho got introduced to the mix.

Honestly, given the talent at his disposal it would be hard for Capello to be doing a worse job. If he loses to Barca this weekend I assume he gets his ticket punched. Why they ever let del Bosque go eludes me.

Roberto Carlos just announced he's not re-upping with the club. Cannavaro looks like he's eying a return to Italy as well.

That's not all bad news as Miguel Torres looks to be ready to man the back line and Marcelo should be just about ready to fit into the mix as well. If Baptista comes back from his Arsenal loan, that will give the club a boost up front along with Higuain (who looks quite good).

The problem area for Real looks to be the midfielder. Guti's the only guy there who's shown any passing flair (well, Beck's with the long balls too, but he's gone after the season). Basically Real lacks the Spanish speciality, midfielders who can ping-pong the ball through a defense. Gago, in from Argentina during the transfer window, has been awful so far. Reyes hasn't added a thing to the mix. Cassano botched pretty much every touch he got on Wednesday.

I expect huge midfield changes this summer, perhaps even Guti, whom I love unconditionally (could be headed for the U.S.).

reds1869
03-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Honestly, given the talent at his disposal it would be hard for Capello to be doing a worse job. If he loses to Barca this weekend I assume he gets his ticket punched. Why they ever let del Bosque go eludes me.

Watching Inter a while back they were discussing the possibility of a managerial trade between Inter and Real Madrid. Has anyone heard about this? I can't imagine any Italian club would want Capello considering his view of Serie A as inferior (and the path of discontent at his former clubs), but one never knows.

M2
03-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Watching Inter a while back they were discussing the possibility of a managerial trade between Inter and Real Madrid. Has anyone heard about this? I can't imagine any Italian club would want Capello considering his view of Serie A as inferior (and the path of discontent at his former clubs), but one never knows.

I haven't heard anything about it. I can't imagine Inter would be looking to part ways with Mancini, though. He's about to win the team's second consecutive league title, something it hasn't done since 1966 and the sort of thing that only Juventus and AC Milan have been able to do since then.

The guy who everybody assumes will be at the top of Real's wish list is Jose Mourinho. Juande Ramos from Sevilla is probably a prime target too. Real could try to pluck one of the clubs two great managers from the past two decades, Vicente del Bosque or Leo Beenhakker. Beenhakker just became manager of the Polish national team after the World Cup. Normally that would make a guy unavailable, but Poland's been a mess (nationals howling about the hiring of a foreign coach, outdated system no one wants to fix, match fixing scandal, FIFA threatening suspension because the Polish government had a reasonable,though stern, response to the scandal). It's an open question whether del Bosque wants to deal with the bother of having the most second-guessed coaching job in the world. Those two would mostly be bridges if a guy like Mourinho can't be had.

Another young supergenius the club might want is Marco van Basten. and I can't help but think Felipe Scolari might try to get out of his contract with the Portugese national team a year early for the chance to make a splash on the Euro club scene. It's the one thing he hasn't done and Real might want a firebrand at this point in time, someone who will strike the fear of God into a talented, but listless team.

M2
04-03-2007, 07:31 PM
So Liverpool smashed PSV today, 3-0. Meanwhile Bayern scored an incredible last second goal to tie Milan 2-2, possibly the best game of the Champion's League this season. Liverpool's essentially made the semis and Milan's going to need a victory in Munich, otherwise Bayern will be through to the next round as well.

RawOwl UK
04-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Love to see wins tonight for Man Utd & Chelski. 3 English teams in the semi's would be great to see. Pity not enough English players are in those teams but thats another story !!!!

RawOwl UK
04-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Wow what an awsome goal !!!!!!!! Chelsea need something now.

timmario66
04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow what an awsome goal !!!!!!!! Chelsea need something now.

and they get it from Drogba. Tied 1-1.

WMR
04-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Love to see wins tonight for Man Utd & Chelski. 3 English teams in the semi's would be great to see. Pity not enough English players are in those teams but thats another story !!!!

Maybe they're all busy with England NT duties? :bang:

Cedric
04-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Man United is very lucky after that one. 2-1 away isn't a bad score line at all considering they were a man down for the last 60 minutes.

RawOwl UK
04-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Scholes will be a big miss for them in the return leg. BUT a a night game at Old Trafford usually brings the Best out of Utd. Will be a very intresting night especially after the crowd trouble on Wednesday.

WMR
04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
RawOwl, what's your opinion of McLaren?

Betterread
04-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Scholes will be a big miss for them in the return leg. BUT a a night game at Old Trafford usually brings the Best out of Utd. Will be a very intresting night especially after the crowd trouble on Wednesday.
Interesting - if you mean full of intimidation and violence. I'm a Roma fan and yet my enjoyment of their big win was marred by the violence. And you know Fergie will up the agression (that's his style - intimidate whenever you get a chance - defending Scoles' sending off?)and get the ManU fans rabid and full of hatred. I've got a queasy feeling that something terrible (non-competition related) will happen.
I'm really tired of drunk, violent Manchester fans coming to a city and going nuts. It happened in Lille, it happened in Rome, would you want them to come to your town?
I'm equally tired of the pathetic security situation in Italy for big games. They simply need a totally new system to control the horrible, yet predictable yob invasions when the big British clubs play your club.

NJReds
04-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Interesting - if you mean full of intimidation and violence. I'm a Roma fan and yet my enjoyment of their big win was marred by the violence. And you know Fergie will up the agression (that's his style - intimidate whenever you get a chance - defending Scoles' sending off?)and get the ManU fans rabid and full of hatred. I've got a queasy feeling that something terrible (non-competition related) will happen.
I'm really tired of drunk, violent Manchester fans coming to a city and going nuts. It happened in Lille, it happened in Rome, would you want them to come to your town?
I'm equally tired of the pathetic security situation in Italy for big games. They simply need a totally new system to control the horrible, yet predictable yob invasions when the big British clubs play your club.

I don't understand why there's so much violence w/soccer.

But English fans are involved with riots in Spain and Italy both blame the police. Hmm... I see a pattern.

westofyou
04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't understand why there's so much violence w/soccer.

People are apes, apes are into nationalism.

RawOwl UK
04-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Oh dear !!!! sorry guys just got to get something off my chest.

Over the past 15 years since the introduction of the Premiership Crowds have gone up & hooliganism has gone down FACT !!!!

It has never been more of a family sport in England, (apart from increased tickets prices at certain club, though this is now being rectified.)

The trouble that still remains revolves around the national side. England have the biggest following out of any nation in the world. They do take over towns pubs/bars and drink all day. It usually starts in good nature but before too long fights will start breaking out.

However the past World Cup in Germany was a first for many many years. Apart from one incident in A German town were English & German fans had a small confrontation that was sorted in no time by the police. English fans were
complimented by German Mayors etc from across the country for there behaviour.

Man Utd fans had been warned not to be seen in the City or take the tube to or from the game in Rome or they could be in deep trouble. This has happend in many games in Italy. Why should FIFA allow this to continue ? Seeing pictures of a 70 year old man being attacked by police while sat in his seat on Wednesday night sickened me & the rest of the nation.

I can guarentee there will be no violence at the game in Manchester. There will be real passion though & the atmostphere will be electric when the Man Utd fans get behind there team.

Watch and learn Roma. Watch and learn Italy.

on a side note, about 8 years ago I was on vacation in Tenerife (spain) England had played a friendly against Holland, my and some mates watched the game in a bar wearing our England shirts.

After the game we walked back to our Hotel to get changed to so for a meal, as we walked back we had to pass 3 policemen. One of which struck me in the face with the back of his hand, another hit a friend with his baton a few times on the back of the legs. We managed the get in a busy part of the town without further incident. But that made me very wary of foreign police

This is just my view. We are all entitled to our opinion.

just a few stories on the trouble.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6530157.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6529721.stm

RawOwl UK
04-08-2007, 06:26 AM
RawOwl, what's your opinion of McLaren?

Never liked the appointment. For me a national manager needs experience. Mclaren has not got enought for me . He did an ok job at Boro but not good enough to get the England job.

I was a fan of Sven to be honest. Trouble is the press will hound out any England manager whether they are good or bad. :)

Nugget
04-10-2007, 02:06 AM
Aw c'mon heaps of quality English players in the Liverpool side.

That being said I think the English fans suffer from a hangover of the hooliganism from the early 80's. These days many of them are banned from travelling overseas and in the recent years they have been the target of some of the continental fans with tragic consequences.

M2
04-10-2007, 04:12 PM
30 minutes left in the Man U.-Roma second leg and the Red Devils are up 6-0. Michael Carrick's even scored twice. Rarely will you see a team so wildly overmatched. Supposedly this is the biggest margin of victory in the history of the knockout stages of the Champions League. Sir Alex ought to pull Ronaldo, Rooney and Giggs just to keep them safe.

Hoosier Red
04-10-2007, 04:15 PM
What are the rules on substitutions in Champions league? same as world cup?

M2
04-10-2007, 04:22 PM
What are the rules on substitutions in Champions league? same as world cup?

I think so, three subs. Roma's now scored to shave it to 6-1. Carrick's been subbed out.

timmario66
04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Chelsea and ManU both win with Michael Essien scoring in extra time to give Chelsea a 2-1 win. Looks like 3 out of the final 4 will be English teams unless Liverpool royally screws up and loses 4-0 at Anfield.

RawOwl UK
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Aw c'mon heaps of quality English players in the Liverpool side.

That being said I think the English fans suffer from a hangover of the hooliganism from the early 80's. These days many of them are banned from travelling overseas and in the recent years they have been the target of some of the continental fans with tragic consequences.

Carragher, Stevie G & Crouch HEAPS ?

backup players in Fowler & Pennent.

Man Utd were quality tonight. Missing Scoles,Vidic, Saha etc too.

Betterread
04-10-2007, 06:31 PM

They were superb. Wow - what a performance from the Man U midfield - Carrick and Fletcher especially. The inch-perfect one touches, the precise ball-striking, Roma had no chance. Oh Well. Nice run for the Rossogiallo.

M2
04-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Meanwhile the Bison brings Chelsea back from the brink of elimination against Valencia, which should issue a public apology for having David Villa and not giving him an ounce of service for 90+ minutes.

WMR
04-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Holy moly that goal from Essien was a crackah.

Canizares should have been closer to his near post, though.

Nugget
04-10-2007, 09:00 PM

One from defence, midfield and attack;)

Just pulling your leg - I think the days of the leading premiership sides being majority English are over - sad but given where the game is going, the EU, etc.

WMR
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey Nug, who's your favorite Aussie footballer?

RawOwl UK
04-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Least favourite Aussie for most people is The Muscat !!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Muscat

Nugget
04-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey Nug, who's your favorite Aussie footballer?

Surprisingly Mlie Sterjovski. He plays his role for the Socceroos well, nothing flash but totally reliable.

The Muscat is one of those guys who has white line fever - he has the same reputation back here in Oz. Really disappointed when Neill decided to go to West Ham.

timmario66
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
ManU down 2-1 at the half at home. Kaka with 2 goals. With all the injuries to their back line, ManU are going to be hard pressed to advance with those 2 away goals already against them.

EDIT: United come back to win 3-2 but that two away goals could still come back and haunt them.

Betterread
04-24-2007, 10:54 PM
ManU down 2-1 at the half at home. Kaka with 2 goals. With all the injuries to their back line, ManU are going to be hard pressed to advance with those 2 away goals already against them.

EDIT: United come back to win 3-2 but that two away goals could still come back and haunt them.

Kaka is the best footballer in the world, that second goal was hilarious - two flicks, one sublime touch with his head, and he made the the two defenders run into one another, and then calmly, with all the time in the world, side-footed it in.

Cedric
04-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Kaka is the best footballer in the world, that second goal was hilarious - two flicks, one sublime touch with his head, and he made the the two defenders run into one another, and then calmly, with all the time in the world, side-footed it in.

Good debate question. I'd have a hard time winning an arguement in questioning him after this game, but where was he in the last 45? Right now I'd take Ronaldo and his overall consistency.

Couldn't lose either way.

M2
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
IMO, Michael Essien may be the most complete player in the world. He can play and excel anywhere on the pitch, but Kaka, C.R., Ronaldinho, Messi and Drogba are the most dangerous when it comes to putting the ball in the net.

Of course the best footballer in the world may not be playing at the moment and there's a rumor going around that he may be about to join the Chicago Fire (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=zidane-to-join-becks--&method=full&objectid=18952740&siteid=89520-name_page.html).

timmario66
04-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Chelsea wins 1-0 at home. It could be hard for Liverpool to score two goals against Chelsea's defense even though they did earlier this year at Anfield but I believe both Terry and Carvalho were out for that game.

M2
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Chelsea wins 1-0 at home. It could be hard for Liverpool to score two goals against Chelsea's defense even though they did earlier this year at Anfield but I believe both Terry and Carvalho were out for that game.

I imagine Mourinho will get his boys to attack early in the hopes of scoring an away goal and putting the pressure on Liverpool to net three.

Freddie_Free
04-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Kaka, C.R., Ronaldinho, Messi and Drogba are the most dangerous when it comes to putting the ball in the net.

IDK, I'd take Henry and Rooney over a lot of these guys.

Cedric
04-25-2007, 11:17 PM

Incredible players. The imagination from Rooney is just absurd. On paper his season has looked up and down, but he's had some incredible moment and his team is the best in the world right now.

Betterread
04-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Incredible players. The imagination from Rooney is just absurd. On paper his season has looked up and down, but he's had some incredible moment and his team is the best in the world right now.

When you talk about tremendous skill and inconsistency, you have to mention Zlatan, too. He scores some unbelievable goals.

WMR
04-26-2007, 02:15 AM
Steven Gerrard.

M2
04-26-2007, 11:20 AM

Henry if he gets healthy and back on form would fit in with that group. Rooney's just not at that level. He's a fine player, but he's the next rung down on the ladder.

Drogba's netted 31 goals for Chelsea this season. C.R. clearly is the star talent on Man U. I understand there's folks out there with an EPL-centric view of the world, but Ronaldinho, Messi and Kaka are three of the most awe-inspiring players in the world. Messi's the newest entrant into that group, but he's doing things this season that boggle the mind. His goal against Getafe and his performance against Real Madrid this season have elevated him.

Wily Mo, I'm with you on Gerrard. A lot of the game is about linking play, defense and winning the ball.

RawOwl UK
04-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I feel Henry is now on a downslope. I think a change of club may help him & Arsenal.

WMR
04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
This might be outside the scope of who people were considering, but if I was told to select a single player to start building my team, my first choice would be Peter Cech and it wouldn't even be that close, IMO. So young and so clearly the #1 keeper in the world, IMO.

You couldn't go wrong with Essien, Gerrard, C. Ronaldo, Kaka, or Ronaldinho (I wouldn't quite yet include Messi in that vaunted group although I *might* include Samuel Eto'o) but Cech would be my first choice.

You simply cannot understate the value of possessing a world-class GK and Cech has just scratched the surface of his potential considering how GKs don't reach their peak until later on in their careers vs. field players.

Betterread
04-26-2007, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=M2;1317755]IMO, Michael Essien may be the most complete player in the world. He can play and excel anywhere on the pitch, but Kaka, C.R., Ronaldinho, Messi and Drogba are the most dangerous when it comes to putting the ball in the net.[QUOTE]
If Essien is a very effective player, but as a holding midfielder (in my opinion) he is not the equal of Claude Makelele, who is the gold standard.

Betterread
04-26-2007, 11:12 PM
double post

WMR
04-26-2007, 11:41 PM
I take Gerrard over Makelele and by a nose over Essien. (Although it's sort of like picking between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini in Re: Essien v. Gerrard)

Cedric
04-26-2007, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=M2;1317755]IMO, Michael Essien may be the most complete player in the world. He can play and excel anywhere on the pitch, but Kaka, C.R., Ronaldinho, Messi and Drogba are the most dangerous when it comes to putting the ball in the net.[QUOTE]
If Essien is a very effective player, but as a holding midfielder (in my opinion) he is not the equal of Claude Makelele, who is the gold standard.

The "Makelele role". Incredible player and look what happened to Real.

Essien just does more up front. Makelele goes forward seemingly ten times a season.
Just think about the Chelsea midfield backlog and it's stunning.

Andrea Pirlo isn't far behind any of these men in terms of playmaking. He's just incredible. Gattuso helps him also.

Cedric
04-26-2007, 11:55 PM
I take Gerrard over Makelele and by a nose over Essien. (Although it's sort of like picking between a Ferrari and a Lamborghini in Re: Essien v. Gerrard)

There are so many great midfielders right now. The EPL alone has three of the best attacking CM's in the world. Gerrard/Scholes/Cesc.

Gerrard is just so damn versatile.
It's a lovely time.

WMR
04-26-2007, 11:58 PM
There are so many great midfielders right now. The EPL alone has three of the best attacking CM's in the world. Gerrard/Scholes/Cesc.

Gerrard is just so damn versatile.
It's a lovely time.

EPL best overall league in the world?

Cedric
04-26-2007, 11:59 PM

It's certainly promoted the best :)

Honestly I think it's the best because of the fans and no foreign player rule. Even with partial stadiums the fans just don't let players relax on the job.

The Serie A screw ups are sure helping the EPL.

WMR
04-27-2007, 12:10 AM
Umm yeah good point about the fans.

M2
04-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Andrea Pirlo isn't far behind any of these men in terms of playmaking. He's just incredible. Gattuso helps him also.

Pirlo was pretty the next name I was going to list. He's gifted.

It's between that and La Liga in Spain. Chelsea and Man U. are having dominant seasons, which helps with the league profile, but La Liga's no slouch at the top and, IMO, superior in the 5-15 range (note how their mid-tier clubs have done in the UEFA cup).

Betterread
04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
The "Makelele role". Incredible player and look what happened to Real.

Essien just does more up front. Makelele goes forward seemingly ten times a season.
Just think about the Chelsea midfield backlog and it's stunning.

Makelele and Essien have an equal number of goals this year - 1.
I like Pirlo's skills, but this year, he has not been as consistent a performer. I think the whole Milan team has been affected by the scandal/points deduction, and there have been a lot of disappointments on that squad.

Betterread
04-27-2007, 12:55 PM
It's between that and La Liga in Spain. Chelsea and Man U. are having dominant seasons, which helps with the league profile, but La Liga's no slouch at the top and, IMO, superior in the 5-15 range (note how their mid-tier clubs have done in the UEFA cup).

I'd agree with those two leagues - the EPL has the better top-end clubs, while La Liga has greater depth - as evidence by their UEFA cup club performances.

RawOwl UK
05-01-2007, 03:05 PM
The atmosphere is electric tonight !!!! I'd love to see the reaction to a Liverpool goal :)

RawOwl UK
05-01-2007, 03:08 PM
And there it is !!!!!!!! Fantastic.

M2
05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Holy Pepe Reina! Liverpool wins in the shootout to go to the final.

Nugget
05-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Go Reds!

WMR
05-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Why are yesterday's Champion's League highlights being shown on SportsCenter during an ESPN Deportes special? Is ESPN TRYING to make soccer even MORE foreign to the average fan? The friggin game was shown on ESPN 2 for chrissakes!

And then they broadcast the penultimate PK by their spanish commentator?!?! THAT IS RETARDED. :bang: :rant: :rant: :rant:

RawOwl UK
05-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Milan is flooded with Man Utd fans at the moment. Looks more relaxed than in Rome.

WMR
05-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Alright, who's watching the game today and what are your predictions?

M2
05-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Man U. needs two goals with 25 minutes to play. Though Silvio Berlusconi certainly got his money's worth with the ref on a non-call against Rooney in the box.

M2
05-02-2007, 04:46 PM
So it's Liverpool vs. Milan.

Interesting matchup in that both teams can be Jeckyll and Hyde. The midfield battle will be intense. Gattuso and Ambrosini really clamped down on the United central attack today. Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher couldn't get anything rolling.

RawOwl UK
05-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Superb Milan performance. United went down without a fight.

Yachtzee
05-03-2007, 11:09 AM
My Remedies exam last night contained 10 short essay questions. In each hypothetical proposed in the question, the names of the parties were either real or veiled references to players, coaches, and teams of the EPL. Especially present was Arsenal, of which my professor is a huge fan, even wearing his Arsenal jersey to class. Most of the naughty tortfeasors and contract breachers in the hypos were associated with Chelsea, including a hypo involving an embarrassing situation where someone orders shirts to be delivered April 30, 2007 saying "Chelsea: 2007 European Cup Champions," one day before Chelsea is eliminated. Looks like someone was taking great joy in Chelsea's loss. :)

WMR
05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, today is the day.

Anyone think Liverpool can pull it out?

WMR
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
AC Milan puts one in off a deflection from a free kick to go up 1-0 in the 45th minute and take that same score into halftime.

Looked to me it went off Inzaghi's arm. Handball?

WMR
05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
ESPN guys seemed to agree with me.

Announcers never mentioned it.

WMR
05-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Inzaghi scores again in the 83rd to put things on ice for AC Milan.

WMR
05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Liverpool pulls a late goal back, but still fall to the 2007 Champions League winner AC Milan.

OldRightHander
05-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Liverpool pulls a late goal back, but still fall to the 2007 Champions League winner AC Milan.

That goal was a beauty if you ask me. I was kind of pulling for them. It's a shame they didn't put a couple more in. They sure had the chances and with a break or two, could have won. I did think the first goal was suspiciously close to a handball as well.

WMR
05-24-2007, 12:24 AM
It was definitely a handball and I was pulling for them as well, ORH.

OldRightHander
05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
It was definitely a handball and I was pulling for them as well, ORH.

I haven't deleted the game from my DVR yet, so maybe I'll take a closer look at that goal again. Funny that the announcers didn't say anything at the moment.

Yachtzee
05-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Missed the first goal, but on Inzaghi's second, the Liverpool D just stood there like trees. Were they just frozen by the pass or did they get caught trying to pull an offside trap? Liverpool's goal was great. If only Gerrard had been able to sneak that one shot around Milan's keeper, it could have been a whole new match.

RawOwl UK
05-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I think you have to give Milan credit for springing the Offside trap. Felt for Liverpool they seemed the more attack minded team thoughout the game but to concede just before half time the way they did, in such a big game was always going to to be a huge factor in deciding who took the trophy.

M2
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo and Frank Lampard each scored in the first half of the final. Man U. controlled the action, but I'm thinking Chelsea's going to be a lot more attack-minded in the second half.

M2
05-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Man U. wins after seven penalty kicks. Chelsea had a chance to win it, but John Terry missed the clincher. Here's my question, with assassins like Kalou and Essien as options what was a central defender doing taking the clinching kick? Literally they picked the guy with the least skill on the team to take the most important kick of the season.

princeton
05-22-2008, 11:01 AM
John Terry, who makes fewer missteps than anyone, loses his footing.

it's a funny game.