PDA

View Full Version : Nixon and Williamson

maniem
11-03-2006, 04:04 PM
I know this has been discussed, but I think Trot Nixon would be a good pickup for the Reds for the right price. He's a pretty solid player, good obp, decent pop, above average defense. The only concern would be his health. If you're the Reds, do you offer him a 2 yr/8 - 10 million deal? He might also fit in nicely with JerNarr, as he's also from N. Carolina. As far as Williamson, he'd be a huge injury risk , but he will be 2 years removed from TJ surgery and would be finally getting his full strength back. He has the closer mentality and still has great stuff. If he regains his old form, he could be the closer they sorely need. I'd offer him a 1 yr/750k deal loaded with performance bonuses. Both could be low risk/high rewards. Thoughts?

jimbo
11-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but Williamson drove me crazy with his lack of control problems when he was a Red. I just don't think his rewards possibilities are enough to warrant his risk possibilities, but that's just me.

schroomytunes
11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
I for one saw Nixon play here in high school for new hanover and have watched him mature in the big leagues. I feel he is a guy that could play 100-120 games a year for us, hit something like 20hr 70rbi .260avg, so yeah I think he would be a good guy to have in RF, but he would have to come at a price that allows us to address our #3starter,bullpen closer,and SS positions. As far as Williamson, I would go after him hard this offseason, he would like to come back to Cincy and a 2yr/4million with a player option of 3million in the 3rd year would allow us that, I think he could regain that closer's spot for us.

redsfanfalcon
11-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I think those are great suggestions, especially Williamson...I believe he still has his house in Cincinnati, and would probably love to come back here. I'm not sure I'd offer Nixon that kind of money, though.

RedsBaron
11-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I'd take Williamson.

mth123
11-03-2006, 08:43 PM
I'd take a low $ incentive laden gamble on Williamson. At least he throws hard and has had success (its been a while though). Not sure I want Trot. Assuming Griffey and Dunn in the OF corners, Trot would be a back-up. He's probably too expensive for that. If he comes cheap ($1.5 Million tops) ok. If Griffey or Dunn go, he is too much of a drop in offense as the team is currently constructed to be signed to a contract that suggests he play every day.

I'm thinking if Jeromy Burnitz retires, Nixon will take over his role as the annual free agent consolation prize that teams that can't lure anyone always end up with.

Gallen5862
11-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I for one saw Nixon play here in high school for new hanover and have watched him mature in the big leagues. I feel he is a guy that could play 100-120 games a year for us, hit something like 20hr 70rbi .260avg, so yeah I think he would be a good guy to have in RF, but he would have to come at a price that allows us to address our #3starter,bullpen closer,and SS positions. As far as Williamson, I would go after him hard this offseason, he would like to come back to Cincy and a 2yr/4million with a player option of 3million in the 3rd year would allow us that, I think he could regain that closer's spot for us.

I also saw Trot Nixon Play for New Hanover High School and Post 10 Legion ball. He was also a great Pitcher and a great QB. I would love for the Reds to sign Trot. He might be able to fill in as an emergency bullpen pitcher.

Yachtzee
11-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Why did I think this was going to be about the Reds hiring Otis Nixon to be a coach?

Keystone12
11-04-2006, 02:31 AM
This should be the last post in this thread. Really, the stats bear out the answers:
Offering a player as injury-prone and as unspectacular as Trot Nixon a 2-year
deal for 8-10 mill would be foolish, plain and simple.

The guy has only hit 20 home runs 3 times in his 7-year career. He will turn 33 at the beginning of next season. His career average is .278. Only twice has he played over 140 games in a season.

Offering him that much money for a multi-year deal would be moronic, especially given the Reds' situation. It's this kind of speculation which led to deals like the Milton deal or the LaRue deal. The maxim of "Don't overpay (especially in multi-year deals) for barely-average free agents" should be Wayne's mantra.

Obviously, the counterpoint to what I'm arguing is Rich Aurilia. He was a guy, who in a Nixonesque way had a sense of appeal as a scrappy infielder. His 2006 numbers outperformed anything he had done since his stud season in 2001 with SF. However, the Reds have tried for years to put together a winner with crap like this. The fact remains, after years of Bowdenesque bull**** where the Reds tried to contend with scrap-heap veterans, signing Trot Nixon would be borderline idiotic.

Williamson, OTOH, would be a reasonable investment if he can be had under 1mil per. He has a career ERA of a very respectable 3.32, Cincinnati history, and ostensibly still has live stuff (though I don't know that first hand).

Bottom line: if you do a modicum of research, you realize that Nixon is a waste of money at anything except the ML minimum, and Williamson is a decent idea but only for the right price for a setup/middleman.

TeamBoone
11-04-2006, 11:06 AM
I think those are great suggestions, especially Williamson...I believe he still has his house in Cincinnati....

Not only does he have a house here, but he still lives in it during the offseason. His wife is from Cincinnati and owns a business here... some kind of day spa I believe, so he continues to make his home here.