PDA

View Full Version : Posedinick? (or however you spell it)

dunner13
11-06-2006, 11:10 AM
rotoworld is saying that posedinick wont be back with the white sox next yr. What do you think about him being in our outfield? He brings good defense, could play center field for us. Good leadoff hitter with tons of speed, could steal 50 bases.

NJReds
11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
He's not particularly adept at getting on base, and he's been bumped from CF to LF twice by the White Sox. He was also platooned for a time.

I'd rather give the ABs to Deno.

TOBTTReds
11-06-2006, 11:18 AM
He is an awful fielder actually. I know he is fast, but that doesn't mean he is good.

Also he only gets on base at a .330 rate, which is relatively poor.

He is fast, yes, but that is about it.

TeamBoone
11-06-2006, 11:27 AM
He was on my fantasy team... and his production was all over the place.

RedsManRick
11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Think Juan Pierre with bad defense.

Falls City Beer
11-06-2006, 11:57 AM
What do Luis Gonzalez and Scott Podsednik have in common?

Both have walk-off hits in the World Series, and both are, undoubtedly, on Wayne's speed-dial.

This ballclub's gonna have same "gamers" on it, baby.

FutureRedsGM
11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Deno > Posednik and he is already under contract (CHEAP).

Deno won't get quite as many SBs, but plays better defense and has a higher OBP ceiling.

NJReds
11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
What do Luis Gonzalez and Scott Podsednik have in common?

Both have walk-off hits in the World Series, and both are, undoubtedly, on Wayne's speed-dial.

This ballclub's gonna have same "gamers" on it, baby.

What evidence is there that Wayne has significant interest in either player?

Heath
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM

Because FCB said so. Don't you know his omnipresence?

:D

Back on topic. I'll pass on SPod. He makes some nice catches in the OF and has some speed, but you can't steal first base. Plus, he has less patience at the plate than Brandon Phillips. The average Stop at a traffic light has more time than a SPod at-bat.

Chip R
11-06-2006, 12:17 PM
If we signed him, he and Freel would have to have a Texas Death Match for the title of Scrappiest Red.

Heath
11-06-2006, 12:20 PM
If we signed him, he and Freel would have to have a Texas Death Match for the title of Scrappiest Red.

That would be awesome on Fan Appreciation Day. Our luck though, they'd both be on the DL.

:D

flyer85
11-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Deno > Posednik and he is already under contract (CHEAP).

Deno won't get quite as many SBs, but plays better defense and has a higher OBP ceiling.that pretty much nails it. Podsednik is overrated(although if IIRC, he has a hot wife but I can't remember who it is).

terminator
11-06-2006, 12:43 PM
I'd pass. Average OBP. Speed, but around MLB average for % of successful steals. Below average power. 8 errors in LF last year.

$2MM in 2006 wasn't too expensive, but I'd take my chances with Denorfia, Freel or other in-house options.

Falls City Beer
11-06-2006, 03:42 PM

There's an article posted in this very forum discussing Wayne's interest in Gonzalez. Whether it's a little interest or a lot, I don't know.

IowaRed
11-06-2006, 03:46 PM
that pretty much nails it. Podsednik is overrated(although if IIRC, he has a hot wife but I can't remember who it is).

I hear his wife is former Playboy centerfold Lisa Dergan

NJReds
11-06-2006, 04:03 PM
There's an article posted in this very forum discussing Wayne's interest in Gonzalez. Whether it's a little interest or a lot, I don't know.

One of the conclusions of the Gonzalez article was that it was an agent throwing out names to drum up interest for his client.

I have never heard Podsednik's name mentioned in connection with the Reds.

vaticanplum
11-06-2006, 04:19 PM
I like him, but he's not a good fit for this team.

Falls City Beer
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
One of the conclusions of the Gonzalez article was that it was an agent throwing out names to drum up interest for his client.

I have never heard Podsednik's name mentioned in connection with the Reds.

I haven't heard Podsednik's name, but if I'm doing a profile of what Wayne's targeted so far, vis. offensive players, Podsednik is the poster boy.

Overrated defensively, judy-stick offensively, basestealing threat with postseason experience.

Wayne's got pictures of Podsednik on his desk with lip-prints all over them.

vaticanplum
11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Wayne's got pictures of Podsednik on his desk with lip-prints all over them.

Hott.

Who overrates him defensively? I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to him as a good defensive fielder.

Falls City Beer
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Who overrates him defensively? I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to him as a good defensive fielder.

Mostly national TV announcers. They reach the conclusion that because he's fast, he must be a good fielder.

BRM
11-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Overrated defensively, judy-stick offensively, basestealing threat with postseason experience.

He gets thrown out a bit too much for me to consider him a legit base stealer.

Heath
11-06-2006, 05:23 PM
I hear his wife is former Playboy centerfold Lisa Dergan

I think she still is - she's also an old St. Pauli Girl and she was on a few episodes of the extremely forgettable "Silk Stalkings".

dunner13
11-06-2006, 05:58 PM
If were not going to use ryan freel as our everyday leadoff hitter then we need to get one from somewhere. I really think the best thing we can do is put freel at second and then get a power bat for the OF. Make a trade with the yankees for gary sheffield, they can take majewski and milton. The only downside is that our outfield defense would not be very good.

Mario-Rijo
11-07-2006, 12:16 AM
I take him if it means getting rid of Jr's contract. But I do recall hearing last year during a WSox broadcast that they were not pleased with his defense in LF yikes bad news.

jimbo
11-07-2006, 12:28 AM
I really think the best thing we can do is put freel at second and then get a power bat for the OF.

I've been saying this for quite some time. I think Freel could be a pretty good second baseman and he would be more likely to stay healthier playing there everyday as opposed to the outfield.

Falls City Beer
11-07-2006, 10:54 AM
I too would go for Freel at second, and nab a monster bat for the outfield.

I'm willing to take a huge bath in the defense department in order to lock down the offense and pitching first.

westofyou
11-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm willing to take a huge bath in the defense department in order to lock down the offense and pitching first.

Defense and pitching walk hand and hand.

A pitchers ERA can be affected by four factors, the league that the player plays in, the ballpark in which the pitcher pitches ½ his games in, the bullpen that cleans up the pitchers mess and the defense that backs him up on every pitch.

Falls City Beer
11-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Defense and pitching walk hand and hand.

A pitchers ERA can be affected by four factors, the league that the player plays in, the ballpark in which the pitcher pitches ½ his games in, the bullpen that cleans up the pitchers mess and the defense that backs him up on every pitch.

In a perfect world, you address all three (pitching, defense, offense) at once. But that's not how it shakes out usually.

westofyou
11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
In a perfect world, you address all three (pitching, defense, offense) at once. But that's not how it shakes out usually.

In my perfect world Ryan Freel doesn't start at 2nd base.

Offense is this era's given (and the GAB), chase some of the other stuff for awhile.

Falls City Beer
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
In my perfect world Ryan Freel doesn't start at 2nd base.

Offense is the era's given, chase some of the other stuff for awhile.

Pick your poison. With Deno in center, Phillips at SS, and Larue making the lion's share of the starts at catcher, I can live with Freel at second.

If worst comes to worst, Freel can be replaced by a defensive whiz, as they're reasonably plentiful and dirt cheap.

Falls City Beer
11-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Offense is this era's given (and the GAB), chase some of the other stuff for awhile.

I beg to differ that offense is a given with the Reds, particularly with Chambliss's axing.

If you're saying offense is a given for the rest of the Central, I agree. But it's no longer a given with the Reds.

Ltlabner
11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
I beg to differ that offense is a given with the Reds, particularly with Chambliss's axing.

If you're saying offense is a given for the rest of the Central, I agree. But it's no longer a given with the Reds.

So Chambliss was the driving force behind our offense? Not sure I would agree with that FCB. He played a role, but I don't give the hitting coach that much credit either way (good or bad).

So offsense is a given for the Pirates and The Astros? Hummmm Again, not sure I buy that. The Reds offensive outlook is certianally different than years past, but I don't agree with the premise that the rest of the central will have hot offenses while only the lowly reds will be floundering about.

westofyou
11-07-2006, 12:37 PM
I beg to differ that offense is a given with the Reds, particularly with Chambliss's axing.Yep the Reds have never trotted out offense, it was all Chambliss.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hubba
11-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Dunn will do better this coming year without Chambliss. Just saying.

Johnny Footstool
11-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Dunn will do better this coming year without Chambliss. Just saying.

Define "do better."

Falls City Beer
11-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Yep the Reds have never trotted out offense, it was all Chambliss.

Thanks for the heads up.

It wasn't all Chambliss; that's just you reading into it what you want to read into it.

Obviously, losing Kearns and Lopez and not replacing their offense in any way has nothing to with Chambliss.

My central point is that the Reds shouldn't assume offensive production next year. That would be severely ill-advised. Because as it stands right now, the Reds' offense is on a par with the Pirates and Cubs. In fact, I'd argue that the Pirates' offense is much more intriguing right now than the Reds'. The offseason could change that equation, obviously.

westofyou
11-07-2006, 03:58 PM
My central point is that the Reds shouldn't assume offensive production next year. In park like they have it's safe to assume it to a point, my point is the Reds have been trotting out a hitting first and let everything else fall behind it attitude for 50 plus years, time to tighten the noose on everything else, the hitting will be there at home.

RedsManRick
11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
In park like they have it's safe to assume it to a point, my point is the Reds have been trotting out a hitting first and let everything else fall behind it attitude for 50 plus years, time to tighten the noose on everything else, the hitting will be there at home.

Well, last year the Reds pitched better than they hit. If the hitting is there for us at home, it's gonna be their for our opponents to. Assuming it's gonna be there sounds like a great plan for scoring less than 700 runs.

westofyou
11-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Well, last year the Reds pitched better than they hit. If the hitting is there for us at home, it's gonna be their for our opponents to. Assuming it's gonna be there sounds like a great plan for scoring less than 700 runs.

I don't mean "Assume" as in don't do anything about it, I also don't think leveraging every position from the offense outwards is a succesful approach either. I look for a healthy balance and that includes BA driven players at a nominal cost and with that in mind a realization that great team offense is generally highlighted by those types having a good year. Which is usually a crapshoot.

If I'm the Reds I look for low cost type like that up the middle, like they did with Ross. I tell Junior to play RF and I don't play Freel everyday, especuially at second base.

Falls City Beer
11-07-2006, 07:11 PM
If I'm the Reds I look for low cost type like that up the middle, like they did with Ross. I tell Junior to play RF and I don't play Freel everyday, especuially at second base.

Ross is one of the worst catchers I've ever seen behind the dish.

Do you mean Phillips up the middle?

westofyou
11-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Ross is one of the worst catchers I've ever seen behind the dish.

Do you mean Phillips up the middle?
I was refering to finding gems anywhere up the middle, Philips, Ross... those are the guys that might tank a season or be great, at a lower cost if they tank I'm fine with that, in teh case of guys like Phillips it wil be BA driven and efensive driven as for Ross and his defense, for 300 ab's in todays game you can take a catcher like David Ross, after a decade of Taubensee and Larue the Reds have bigger fish to fry then the defense of the 300 ab catcher.