PDA

View Full Version : Bengals season over?

TeamSelig
11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Remaining schedule:

Chargers
@ Saints
@ Browns
Ravens
Raiders
@ Colts
@ Broncos
Steelers

The way we're playing I can see us winning against the Browns, Raiders, and Steelers, but no one else. That would put us at 7-9. Yuck.

deltachi8
11-07-2006, 01:01 PM
I think they will win 5 of those and perhapps 6...at least they have the talent to do so (offensively speaking).

It is making me sick that the Ravens are winning this division. As my Steelers are dead, I'm hoping the Bengals put a good push on to catch the Ravens.

macro
11-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I see them going another 4-4 in the second half and finishing 8-8 for the third time in Marvin's four years here, but 7-9 wouldn't shock me. Some teams handle adversity well and others implode. I see this team imploding as the season starts to unravel. The finger-pointing has been going on for a couple of weeks, and the frustration is easy to see, even watching on TV.

Danny Serafini
11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Considering the Chargers had to fight their way past the Browns at home last week I don't see them as undefeatable. The Saints have a little bit of smoke and mirrors going on, and I don't see the Ravens coming into town and walking all over the Bengals. It hasn't been pretty so far, but it's far from over.

redsfan30
11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
No the season's not over....simply because Baltimore isn't capable of running away with the division and hiding. The Bengals haven't had a hot streak yet this year where things go in thier favor and I honestly think it's coming.

All we need to do is gain one game on Baltimore before they come in here at the end of this month. If that game is for a tie in the division, the Bengals will win the AFC North...mark it down.

TeamSelig
11-07-2006, 01:14 PM
@ Indy & Denver is a guaranteed loss IMO

Thats 6 losses.... will 10-6 win the division?

macro
11-07-2006, 01:18 PM

I agree, and 10-6 assumes that they go 6-0 in the remaining six games. They're not going to do that.

Roy Tucker
11-07-2006, 01:26 PM
If they are going to turn it around, it will have to start this week. I think we'll get the Bengal character question answered this week.

But I think a very tough schedule, Carson Palmer not being all the way back, and a OL and defense riddled by injuries will doom them to 7-9 (8-8 if they are lucky).

RichRed
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Keep hope alive, Bengals fans. Last year, my Redskins were sitting at 5-6, looking for all the world like a team that would be spectators come playoff time. They somehow put it together, winning their last 5 games, including big wins over Dallas and the Giants, to make it to the playoffs.

You just never know. And since I can't stand the Steelers or the Ravens, I'm rooting for Carson and the gang to come through.

Reds Freak
11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Losing another offensive linemen in Willie Anderson doesn't help in getting back on the right track. Rumor has it that the Bengals are working on a deal to bring Anthony Munoz back.

Strikes Out Looking
11-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I see the Bengals winning the next 5. At that point they may have to win 2 of 3 to get into the playoffs (depending on what happens with the other teams in the league). Fortunately, game 13 is about when the Colts usually fall apart. My guess is it comes down to game 16 against the Steelers.

Reds Fanatic
11-07-2006, 03:39 PM

I don't know if 10-6 will win the division when you look at Baltimore's remaining schedule

Here is the Ravens schedule:

AT TEN
ATL
PIT
AT CIN
AT KC
CLE
AT PIT
BUF

I think the Bengals can beat Baltimore at home. KC is playing really well now and could beat Baltimore at home. Outside that the Bengals would have to hope Atlanta could beat Baltimore and if Pittsburgh ever stops turning the ball over they could beat Baltimore.

If the Bengals can't win the divsion then they would need at least 10-6 to have a chance at a wild card. Currently they are a game behind both KC and Jacksonville for the last wild card spot.

Heath
11-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Dear RedsZone,

Don't take the Brownies too lightly.

Sincerely,

Heath, GAC, & Boyds, et. al.

:D

Patrick Bateman
11-07-2006, 04:33 PM

I bet we beat Indy this time around.

Razor Shines
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
I bet we beat Indy this time around.

Really? I guess if Dungy sits the starters. When I looked at the schedule at the beginning of this season I really looked forward to that game being meaningful, but unfortunately it may not be.

Patrick Bateman
11-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Really? I guess if Dungy sits the starters. When I looked at the schedule at the beginning of this season I really looked forward to that game being meaningful, but unfortunately it may not be.

I think it will be a game where neither defense can stop 'em, but the Bengals will pick off Manning a couple of times. Just a gut feeling.

My second team is the Colts, so I'm not just saying that to because of homerism. The last game they played was pretty close, I think it will be closer then most think.

Tyler Durden
11-07-2006, 09:46 PM
The amount of injuries this team has had at single positions is just ridiculous. We're starting our 4th, 5th, and 6th string linebackers at this point, one of whom is a rookie we took in the supplemental draft, another of whom is a CFL refugee. This week we could potentially have 60% of our O-Line out, including both of our pro-bowl (alternate) tackles.

If we can get healthy, there is no reason we can't start a run in the 2nd half, especially if Carson gets his touch back.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
IMO it was over before it started. Carson's knee. Toughest schedule. Questionable draft. Character issues. Throw in the injuries and 2006 was ripe for a let down season.

I think I predicted anywhere from 6-10 to 8-8. I can't remember.

2007 will be the year. I truly believe they needed a slap in the face in 2006 before they could contend for 2007. No matter how you slice it, this was not a team that was destined to do anything in 2006.

Yachtzee
11-07-2006, 10:27 PM
The answer to the question is, "We don't know until they play the games." If something happens to Steve McNair, Baltimore could fold up under Kyle Boller and the outlook could be completely different.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-07-2006, 10:44 PM
The Ravens are playing a pretty weak schedule from here on out. With that D and that schedule, they could put Boller back there and still finish 4-4.

Even if they go 3-5, the Bengals still would have to go 5-3 just to tie them. Ain't no way both would happen. Boller or McNair.

But you are right, we'll know for sure once they play the games. I just think this year will be a learning experience for Marvin and help the organization seperate the wheat from the chaff so that everything is set for 2007 and beyond.

I'm still not sure what the hell he was thinking with the Chris Perry pick.

MrCinatit
11-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
*ahem*
Sorry, could not resist.
Actually, I will say my confidence is not high. It seems this season, we have shown an inability to win the big games and beat the good teams.
Hopefully, that will change. But I unfortunately have my doubts.

Razor Shines
11-08-2006, 08:30 AM
I think it will be a game where neither defense can stop 'em, but the Bengals will pick off Manning a couple of times. Just a gut feeling.

My second team is the Colts, so I'm not just saying that to because of homerism. The last game they played was pretty close, I think it will be closer then most think.
Well what I was saying is that I was hoping that game would be a battle for homefield advantage in the playoffs, but I honestly think that the Colts will have it wrapped up before that game. They just have to do something in the playoffs this year.

Tony Cloninger
11-08-2006, 11:01 AM
In their 35+ years in the NF:....the Bengals have gone to the playoff back to back only 1 time.....1981-1982.

And i can tell you it seems like every year, with the exception of 1970, it was always some drama that was the cause of it.

1973 they were 10-4 and won the division...... next year....Bill Bergey, leader of the 6th ranked defense in the NFL, signs a World Football Leauge contract. Paul Brown said "You cannot serve 2 masters." (Nice terminology huh? Shows you what he thought of players, as most owners back then did, and maybe still do in a way)

He trades Bergey to PHI for a bunch of draft picks.....and he also traded OT Stan Walters to PHI for more draft picks. Bergey becomes a big time Pro Bowler in Philly....Walters becomes a starting Tackle...and goes to the Pro Bowl in the late 70's and early 80's. The draft picks net really nothing of substance.....not even close to what they gave up.

You have the Pre-Season mini strike of 1974.......and the bengals teams are 1 of the most divided teams in the NFL.
They are 1 of the...if NOT the youngest and most immature teams in dealing with adversity (Sound Very Familiar)

They also lose their 990+ yard rusher...slash mini James brooks....RB in Essex Johnson before the season....and then lose their starting LT Vernon Holland with a broken leg in the 2nd game of the season.
In that same game vs SD they lose to a 2nd year QB named Dan Fouts.....score was 13-10......the Chargers were a real bad team (talent and drug problems)....yet they drive 99 yards......even when it was 3 and about 10 and they had them backed up at the 1. They let a 2nd year QB drive 99 yards and score with about 3 minutes left in the game. (Sound like the TB game of this year)

They still manage to go 4-1....where they end up in OAK....and let Stabler go about 65 yards with NO TO's......and let him throw down the middle beacuse they clogged the sidelines. With about 10 seconds left....they let Clarence Davis run a sweep at about the 3 yards line....and the lose 30-27.
NOW you can excuse that game beacuse OAK was at the prime of their game in those days. THOSE were the OAK Raiders all players wanted to play for and they knew how to win and never panick and let outside garbage stop them from winning.

BUT the next game..... they let a HOU Oilers team that was 2-26 the last 2 yars....and 1-5 going into that game........they let that team just destroy them by imposing their will and sacking or hurrying Anderson all game long....and they upset them.

After that..... they were 3-4.......losing another game in Cincy to DET in the last 2 minutes...on a long punt return and then letting Greg Landry?? drive about another 50 yards in about 1 minute.

They also lost..... Center Bob Johnson....... in about the middle of the year to a broken leg (He was just as important as Braham is now) .... They lose the Bergey LB replacements in LeClair and i forget the other guy's name.....maybe Doug Adams.....and therefore are destroyed by the run....IN an era where teams ran 60-70% of the time, if not more......as opposed to know where it is either the other way.....or at least 50-50.

They also lost another 900+ yard runner in Boobie Clark......in the middle of the year. Back then......getting 1000 yards was very ...rare....about 4-6 RB's got that MAYBE in 1 year........ so you lose 2 900+ runners who could catch passes out of the backfield very well ( Clark was like Pete Johnson....not as big but could still bowl you over...and quicker on the dump off pass)

You end up with your QB......Ken Anderson as the leading rusher with less than 400 yards..... even in a 14 game season that was PITIFUL.

THE GOOD NEWS....... OC and QB Coach Bill Walsh had to expand his mind even more and develop an even better game plan for passing the ball......while he tailored the dump off for Virgil carter's weak arm...... he had stronger...more accurate arm.... in Anderson (also 3 inches taller).... so Anderson lead the leauge in passing that year (even with missing the last game of the year) he still threw close to 3000 yards that year ( That happened EVEN less than 1000 yard rushers in the 1970's)....and basically with Curtis on the long pass.....Joiner as the almost as fast but even better hands and routes WR.....and Myers as the "possession" guy....along with his RB's....they developed the best passing attack, next to the ST LOUIS Cardnails of Jim Hart, Mel Gray, Terry Metcalf, in the NFL....and in 1975 they went 11-3.

The KEY though was no big injuries in 1975.

Oh yeah....and their drafts in 1974-1975.......were not very good either....go back and look them up. Bill Kollar....Glenn Cameron..... just really bad, unproductive drafts. The Bengals were always real good at taking the best athlete available INSTEAD of the best football player available.

1976 they finish 10-4....same as PITT but the lost 2 times to PITT....including a 7-3 game...in Cincy....in the snow....beacuse of a Boobie Clark fumble.
They could not even beat PITT.... W/O Bradshaw......they had Kruzcek and then basically controlled the clock with the run.

They could not beat the tough teams .....lost to PITT 2 times.... they go to OAK and lose to them....even though OAK had nothing to play for.... It was a MNF game. They were close at the half......beacuse they were 50-50 in passing/running. They stopped running in the 2nd half....and Anderson threw 3 INT's.

They lost to Baltimore (11-3) in BAL....all beacuse of a missed extra point by Chris Bahr ( People thought the young Neil Rackers was inconsistent...Rackers made Bahr look like Vinateri )...... 28-27.

1983.....after back to back winning/playoff seasons.... they lose RB Pete Johnson and DE Ross Browner for 1st 4 games with drug suspensions.

They fire (Paul Brown) their OC Lindy Infante....who basically turned Ken Anderson's career around....BEFORE the pre-season starts, not after the end of 1982...NO ...BEFORE the beginning of pre-season...all beacuse he signed a future USFL contract (Just like TE Dan Ross did....and WR Collingsworth did)..... add all that up....you have turmoil....NO offense for the first 4-5 games.... and Forrest Gregg (BEST coach other than Brown and Lewis) to get fed up and leave to go to GB.

1989..... you have Eddie Brown holding out......signs a few days before 1st game....and then goes from 1400+ yards in receiving ...to less tha 900.
Never gets 1000 again....in an open offensive era.

Ickey Woods gets hurt and they have no power rushing.... Eric Ball was terrible....and he was their first draft pick (They picked in the 2nd round...beacuse they figured why pay for a 2nd to last 1st rounder....when he is barely a 1st rounder, and then pay him 1st round money)

They had games were they beat PITT (41-10)....TB (56-23)... DET (42-7)....they even shutout CLE (21-0.....I think the last time they shutout anyone)......yet could not beat average teams like MIA (20-13 at home and leading 13-3 at the half)....a bad INDY team at home......they could not even score a TD against....only FG.

Just constant underachievers....and they had a SB under their belt.....and were not that young and immature.

Basically it is always something with this organization.

Injuries in football are an oxymoron.....beacuse they happen.....always have and always will. Some worse than others.

BUT all the other outside garbage....and the constant excuse of "young and immature" really just get's tiresome..... MAYBE as tiresome as reading this long post..... but now i think people should understand why old time Bengal fans like me....really do not completely trust or believe things are going to get turnaround by anyone.

This team will always be young and immature....beacuse they do not sign veterans to basically make the core...even half the core of the team.
Maybe it's just Chad.......but amybe it's just almost all of them.

Wish i could posts this on the bengals web site but had problems even logging on there.
I swear the IQ for half the posters there is below 50......

BUT at least here....while a Reds Site i can still vent on this team i get real sick of trying to root for every year.

Thanks

Dom Heffner
11-10-2006, 07:34 PM
In their 35+ years in the NF:....the Bengals have gone to the playoff back to back only 1 time.....1981-1982.

Wasn't it 88-89?

I can't remember.

Matt700wlw
11-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Wasn't it 88-89?

I can't remember.

'89 they were 8-8 and missed the playoffs, only to rebound in 1990.

Then the roof caved in

Caveat Emperor
11-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Most defenses recently haven't had a difficult time stopping the Bengals.

A huge reason for the disappointing season thus far is that teams no longer feel pressured by the Bengals offense. There isn't the fear that getting off to a sluggish start could find a team down by 10-14 points in a hurry on a few quick strikes by the Bengals. This is leading to more controlled play by opposing offenses, ball control, and a lack of turnover-opportunities for the Bengals defense.

My objective, non homer viewpoint: I think the Bengals could get blown out of Indy, and I see only a moderate shot of them keeping it close.

traderumor
11-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
*ahem*
Sorry, could not resist.
Actually, I will say my confidence is not high. It seems this season, we have shown an inability to win the big games and beat the good teams.
Hopefully, that will change. But I unfortunately have my doubts.

"Stay Calm, all is well!"

Caveat Emperor
11-10-2006, 07:55 PM
"Stay Calm, all is well!"

There is no problem with the Cincinnati Bengals offense. All will soon quake again at the mightiness of Ocho Cinco and Carson Palmer!

http://dunamai.com/Humor/BagdadBob/images/bagdad_bob_large.gif

traderumor
11-10-2006, 07:59 PM
:laugh: :laugh: I had forgot about Baghdad Bob
There is no problem with the Cincinnati Bengals offense. All will soon quake again at the mightiness of Ocho Cinco and Carson Palmer!

http://dunamai.com/Humor/BagdadBob/images/bagdad_bob_large.gif

GAC
11-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Most defenses recently haven't had a difficult time stopping the Bengals.

A huge reason for the disappointing season thus far is that teams no longer feel pressured by the Bengals offense. There isn't the fear that getting off to a sluggish start could find a team down by 10-14 points in a hurry on a few quick strikes by the Bengals. This is leading to more controlled play by opposing offenses, ball control, and a lack of turnover-opportunities for the Bengals defense.

Dave Lapham was talking up this very point the other day. And I think that injuries, and losing Thurman, has hurt their defense.

But they also have some "personalities" on this squad that are very competitive. A good thing, and acceptable, by the fans when one is winning. But trouble, and a problem to team unity when things aren't going well. And we've heard that being expressed by several prominent Bengal players via the media in the last few weeks. When you've got guys like Anderson, Rudi, and a few others venting like they are, that tells you something.

And I respect Marvin Lewis. He at times shows strong leadership, such as his handling of Chris Henry. But at times he is also inconsistent and seems at a loss at what to do to get a handle on the situation.

traderumor
11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I'll say it again, 3 losses of the 4 losses by a total of 9 points. Not exactly the Titanic.

redsfanmia
11-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Too many bad guys and too hard of a schedule, play for the draft pick and go for the playoffs next season.

macro
11-13-2006, 12:04 AM
2007 will be the year. I truly believe they needed a slap in the face in 2006 before they could contend for 2007. No matter how you slice it, this was not a team that was destined to do anything in 2006.

There are several players on this team with a lot of growing up to do, that's for sure. And I think ML is still growing up as a head coach, as well.

Speaking of 2007, here are their opponents, with current record in parentheses. The two "TBA" games will be against the teams from the AFC South and AFC West that finish in the same position in their division standings as the Bengals.

HOME:

Pittsburgh (3-6)
Cleveland (3-6)
Baltimore (7-2)
New England (6-3)
New York Jets (5-4)
Arizona (1-8)
St Louis (4-5)
TBA

ROAD:

Pittsburgh (3-6)
Cleveland (3-6)