PDA

View Full Version : Photos Of Dick Pole Pitching In The 1975 World Series

Hap
11-11-2006, 03:14 PM
screen caps from the dvd set

cincinnati chili
11-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Now if you post Terry Crowley and Diego Segui, I'll be REALLY impressed.

Falls City Beer
11-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Could 70s unis be any more unflattering to the human form?

marcshoe
11-11-2006, 05:16 PM

I would imagine that if you put Pole's current human form in those 70s unis, it would be considerably less flattering.

http://www.dustybaker.com/images/cubs%20coaches.jpg

Superdude
11-11-2006, 07:33 PM

When you're Dick Pole, you don't need flattery if you know what I mean.

redsmetz
11-12-2006, 09:12 AM
The pitch in the 4th and 5th frames (they're reversed, it seems) isn't a terribly bad pitch. You can see Perez holding up, but it was a nice "invite pitch", as I call it. Sometimes the pitcher gets that one, sometimes not. A many a time, you'll get the batter swinging at that pitch. In this case, it was Ball Four, the second of two back to back walks in the 8th inning of Game 4. It still wasn't a bad pitch. IMHO.

From Retrosheet:

REDS 8TH: POLE REPLACED GRIFFIN (PITCHING); Bench walked; Perez
walked [Bench to second]; SEGUI REPLACED POLE (PITCHING); Foster
made an out to right [Bench to third]; Concepcion hit a
sacrifice fly to right [Bench scored]; Geronimo made an out to
center; 1 R, 0 H, 0 E, 1 LOB. Red Sox 1, Reds 6.

Hap
11-12-2006, 09:30 AM
The pitch in the 4th and 5th frames (they're reversed, it seems) isn't a terribly bad pitch.

Nice observation, but they are two different pitches, both in the dirt. One was a check swing, the other was a take all the way.

redsmetz
11-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Nice observation, but they are two different pitches, both in the dirt. One was a check swing, the other was a take all the way.

Thanks for straigtening that out. I still like the pitch on the check swing. And with Bench on base and a significant RBI guy at bat, I want pitchers throwing pitches like that. I'm hoping, based on some of the Maddux comments, that Pole can teach our staff to pitch smarter. Of course, I'm not a big fan of opening an inning with back to back walks either. :)

That said, I always think of the dialogue from Bull Durham when Crash tells Nook.

Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.

dougflynn23
11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
In Pole's defense, it later came out that he had injured his arm in mid-1975 and the injury had been misdiagnosed and he was allowed to keep pitching. He went from a top prospect to a has-been after that.

Redsland
11-15-2006, 04:06 PM
You have to wonder what great heights Dick Pole might have risen to if not for that.

Hap
11-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for straigtening that out.

:oops:

Jr's Boy
11-16-2006, 11:50 AM
It's a shame that Dick's career was premature.