PDA

View Full Version : The Big E

Mutaman
11-11-2006, 06:10 PM
I'd like to take advantage of the day to say a few words about my favorite ship, the USS Enterprise (CV-6). The Enterprise was launched in 1936. On 12/7/41 it was sailing from Wake Island to Pearl but was delayed becuse of bad weather. As a result the Enterprise missed the attack and what might have been her destruction.

During the early months of WW2 the Enterprise and a few other carriers were all that protected the United States from Japan. At one point it was the only US carrier in service.
On June 4,1942, the Enterprise along with the Yorktown and the Hornet, defeated the Japanese at the battle of Midway, the turning point of WW2.

The Big E, went on to particip[ate in nearly every major naval battle of the war in the Pacific, including the Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Eastern Solomons, the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, various other air-sea actions during the Battle of Guadalcanal, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf, as well as participating in the "Doolittle Raid" on Tokyo.

The Enterprise has the distinction of earning 20 battle stars, the most for any U.S. warship in World War II, and was clearly the most important and most centrally-involved of all of them as well. Many historians have even labelled her the most glorious and honored ship in all of United States Naval history. She was the only ship outside outside of the British Royal Navy to earn the highest award of the British Admiralty Pennant.

Despite taking several direct Kamikaze hits, the Enterprise survived the war. Unfortunatly, because no one could get it together to save her, the Enterprise was scrapped in May,1960. Her bell was saved at the Naval Academy and is rung after every victory over West Point. Her one-ton nameplate from her stern is preserved in a nice little park in River Vale, New Jersy.

RedsBaron
11-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I've long regreted that the Enterprise was not saved and did not become a memorial. I'm glad World War II battleships such as the Missouri, North Carolina, Texas, et al, are now memorials, but probably no warship had a more distinguished WWII record than the Enterprise.
By the way, there is a grave near my father's grave in an old country cemetery near where I live. The grave marker is for an elderly man who died a few years ago, but it mentions that he is reunited with his brother, whose date of death is listed as "USS Yorktown-buried at sea" on what was the first day of the Battle of Midway. When I visit my dad's grave I sometimes leave a small flag on that other marker in respect for someone I never knew, but who apparently died in combat service for his country.

Ltlabner
11-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Great stuff...thanks for sharing it.

Mutaman
11-11-2006, 08:40 PM
The Yorktown, Enterprise's sister carrier, was also a pretty tough ship. Seriously damaged at the Battle of the Coral Sea, the navy had no choice but to rush Yorktown to Midway when they learned of the Japanese invasion there. Planes from the Enterprise sunk two japanese carriers and planes from the Yorktown sank a third. However, planes from the fourth Japanese carrier, the Hiryu, scored direct hits on the Yorktown,killing many of her crew and forcing the survivors to abandon ship. The planes from the Yorktown, which were still in the air, made emergency landings on the Enterprise, and then went back in the air, and with the planes from the Enterprise located and sunk the Hiryu. The Yorktown was avenged.

Incredibly, the Yorktown was still afloat. As a result, numerous ships went to her rescue and began to pump out water in an attempt to save her. Just when it began to look like this might succeed, a japanese sub hit the Yorktown with two torpedos. It still took another 24 hours before the gallant ship went down.

Although WW2 went on for annother 3 years, the japanese never recovered from the loss of its four carriers. Midway was clearly the turning point of the war.

In 1998, the wreck of the Yorktown was found and photographed by Dr. Robert D. Ballard, discoverer of the wreck of the Titanic.

GAC
11-12-2006, 08:42 AM
I was stationed in Charleston, S.C. in the mid-70's while serving in the Navy. My parents came down to visit and besides touring scenic historic Charleston and taking the Fort Sumter tour, it was a thrill to go aboard the Yorktown

http://sites.slicker.com/patriotspoint/content.asp?catID=3641&parentID=3222

Mutaman
11-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I was stationed in Charleston, S.C. in the mid-70's while serving in the Navy. My parents came down to visit and besides touring scenic historic Charleston and taking the Fort Sumter tour, it was a thrill to go aboard the Yorktown

http://sites.slicker.com/patriotspoint/content.asp?catID=3641&parentID=3222

You're talking about the Yorktown (cv-10) that was built in 1942 and named in commemoration of the Yorktown (cv-5) that was built in 1937 and sunk at Midway.