PDA

View Full Version : Standridge claimed by Mets

Red Rover
11-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Jason Standridge was claimed off waivers by the New York Mets.

As per Mark Lancasters Blog

lollipopcurve
11-13-2006, 04:49 PM
I think Standridge was worth keeping around in the hope he could continue to develop as a reliever (i.e., learn to better command his above-average fastball and breaking ball). Sacrificed for Bubba C? A small loss, but a loss nonetheless, in my book.

Tom Servo
11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
They can have him. I'll never forgive Standridge for nearly causing me a mental breakdown when he came into that first game after the ASB against the Rockies with a 6 run lead in the 9th. He tried his hardest to blow it before Everyday Eddie saved it.

Falls City Beer
11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
So who's going to guess when Standridge emerges as a Hall of Fame reliever for the Mets?

:devil: :(

terminator
11-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Given their recent track record with Graves and Williams I'm not too worried about them claiming our cast-offs . . .

camisadelgolf
11-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Jason Standridge = poor man's Matt Belisle IMO

Team Clark
11-13-2006, 07:00 PM
So who's going to guess when Standridge emerges as a Hall of Fame reliever for the Mets?

:devil: :(

FCB...wouldn't that be something if he pulled a Jeff Montgomery?

redsmetz
11-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I think Standridge was worth keeping around in the hope he could continue to develop as a reliever (i.e., learn to better command his above-average fastball and breaking ball). Sacrificed for Bubba C? A small loss, but a loss nonetheless, in my book.

Standridge's being released had nothing to do with Bubba Crosby. There was loads of room on the 40 man roster. They're only related because they occurred the same day, not because Standridge was let go to make room.

dfs
11-14-2006, 12:12 PM
over the last two years.
50 innings
4.34 Era
38 K's(this last year he got up to a strikeout per inning.)
A homer every 10 innings.
A Whip that is Roseann Barr large.

What the......
I honestly don't understand. In an organization that has tons of lefties....
An organization that doesn't have a strikeout pitcher....
An organization with historically bad bullpens the last few years....
Why do you cut a cheap 27 year old righthander who strikes guys out?

Do they need to sign another Rick White?
Pat themselves on the head for bringing in somebody like Chris Hammond and then quietly release him when the numbnuts manager wears out his arm.

Why discard guys like this? What purpose does that serve to the organization. He's one of the guys in the pen who needed his role expanded and instead of that they release him? Who is responsible for that?

This is where you pick up edgy valuable middle relief innings, not by trading away your starting right fielder, but by letting guys like this (or Hancock or Hudson) pitch.

Somebody in the decision making proscess overvalues exerience to a comical degree and is costing the reds by denying young pitchers a chance to succeeed. I don't know if it's Narron or Krivsky, but it's my sincere hope that Dick Pole is responsible for running the bullpen next year and gives guys like this a chance to succeed.

One of the frustrating things about Jim Bowden was the constant churn of guys onto and off the 40 man roster. One of the frustrating things about Dan O'brien was how highly he always thought of the 40th guy on his roster and how that paralized the team into inactivity. I don't understand why you give up on a guy like this and then turn around and award a spot on the 40 man roster to Bubba Crosby. After the last couple of GM's, it really seems odd.

Doc. Scott
11-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, if the Reds were trying to slide Standridge through waivers, now was a bad time to be doing it. Almost nothing is going on. If they wanted to keep the guy, it would have been much wiser to try it during the Winter Meetings or around the Rule 5.

So I can only conclude that Wayne's over Standridge and isn't shedding too many tears at this moment.

redsupport
11-14-2006, 12:34 PM
maybe he did not meet the ascetic requirements of the Josh Hancock diet plan

Doc. Scott
11-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Doubtful (not that you care about anything but namedropping).

Standridge has already gotten more chances than he might otherwise deserve based solely on his ex-first-rounder draft status and the fact that he strongly resembles a prototypical ace pitcher. Of course, he never learned any offspeed stuff or how to pitch like one.

redsupport
11-14-2006, 12:58 PM
why the thersitical ad hominem smart remark, it demeans your meritorious and illustrious career as a poster

LINEDRIVER
11-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Jason Standridge = poor man's Matt Belisle IMO

Is Belisle shaking in his boots right now? He wasn't much good before he came down with a bad back.

Falls City Beer
11-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Is Belisle shaking in his boots right now? He wasn't much good before he came down with a bad back.

Yeah, like the Reds have a ton of arms just waiting to displace Belisle. Right now, Belisle sits as the odds on favorite to take the #3 spot in this team's rotation from where I sit. This team's pitching staff is godawful--no sense in dumping someone with a bit of upside.

camisadelgolf
11-14-2006, 06:29 PM

Yeah, like the Reds have a ton of arms just waiting to displace Belisle. Right now, Belisle sits as the odds on favorite to take the #3 spot in this team's rotation from where I sit. This team's pitching staff is godawful--no sense in dumping someone with a bit of upside.

I think I'll put Belisle in a happy medium between what the two of you think of him. I think he's an ideal swing man.

fearofpopvol1
11-15-2006, 11:34 AM
over the last two years.
50 innings
4.34 Era
38 K's(this last year he got up to a strikeout per inning.)
A homer every 10 innings.
A Whip that is Roseann Barr large.

What the......
I honestly don't understand. In an organization that has tons of lefties....
An organization that doesn't have a strikeout pitcher....
An organization with historically bad bullpens the last few years....
Why do you cut a cheap 27 year old righthander who strikes guys out?

Do they need to sign another Rick White?
Pat themselves on the head for bringing in somebody like Chris Hammond and then quietly release him when the numbnuts manager wears out his arm.

Why discard guys like this? What purpose does that serve to the organization. He's one of the guys in the pen who needed his role expanded and instead of that they release him? Who is responsible for that?

This is where you pick up edgy valuable middle relief innings, not by trading away your starting right fielder, but by letting guys like this (or Hancock or Hudson) pitch.

Somebody in the decision making proscess overvalues exerience to a comical degree and is costing the reds by denying young pitchers a chance to succeeed. I don't know if it's Narron or Krivsky, but it's my sincere hope that Dick Pole is responsible for running the bullpen next year and gives guys like this a chance to succeed.

One of the frustrating things about Jim Bowden was the constant churn of guys onto and off the 40 man roster. One of the frustrating things about Dan O'brien was how highly he always thought of the 40th guy on his roster and how that paralized the team into inactivity. I don't understand why you give up on a guy like this and then turn around and award a spot on the 40 man roster to Bubba Crosby. After the last couple of GM's, it really seems odd.

The only hope I have (and I'm definitely being optimistic) is that Wayne feels he can (and will) do better than Jason in the free agent market.

Even still, I would think you would try to package Jason in a trade rather than just let him go as he does have some value.

Doc. Scott
11-15-2006, 12:03 PM
why the thersitical ad hominem smart remark, it demeans your meritorious and illustrious career as a poster

Credibility isn't earned in Double Word Scores.

redsupport
11-15-2006, 12:04 PM
your lack of jocosity is only exceeded by your high level of jejune insipidity

Falls City Beer
11-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Double Word Scores.

"Quixotic" and "quiz" are among my favorites in said category.

Chip R
11-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh no, Jason Standridge is gone. Whatever will we do without him? We're sure not going to beat the Mets to get into the Series now that they have found the missing piece of the puzzle.

TRF
11-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Oh no, Jason Standridge is gone. Whatever will we do without him? We're sure not going to beat the Mets to get into the Series now that they have found the missing piece of the puzzle.

If the reds end up re-signing Ryan Franklin after letting Standridge go, i'll poke out my own eyes.

BRM
11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
If the reds end up re-signing Ryan Franklin after letting Standridge go, i'll poke out my own eyes.

Have your fork ready...

Doc. Scott
11-15-2006, 07:07 PM

Quoted for truth.