PDA

View Full Version : College Basketball Thread

WMR
11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Who does everybody think is going to be the best team this year?

Judging by what I've seen so far, that Hansborough kid at UNC might very well win player of the year...

I really don't think Duke has what it takes to win it all this year...

Who does everybody like as the season gets ramped up?

I hate to say it, but I could very well see Florida raising another banner in March. :(

traderumor
11-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Ohio State is going to put a hurtin' on some people. I think they are a contender even with the youth of the team.

KronoRed
11-15-2006, 02:39 PM
I hate to say it, but I could very well see Florida raising another banner in March. :(

You say that like it's a bad thing ;)

LoganBuck
11-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I generally like Florida's team. They are fun to watch. I like Tyler Hansbourough as well. I am really looking forward to seeing Ohio State play once Greg Oden steps on the floor as well.

BTW, what is the deal with the UC players Hall and Hraciunicak(sp)? They didn't play this weekend. Steve Stewart who was calling the game mentioned that the NCAA is set to rule on them soon? What is the rub?

max venable
11-15-2006, 03:51 PM
How could you not favor Florida this year? They've basically got everybody back from last year's NC team.

UNC is awesome. They'll be right there with Florida.

OSU will, indeed, be very good...especially when Oden is ready. I'm a homer, I know, but I can see them making a run to the Final Four.

The OSU/UNC game in November 29 will be fun...but given that it's at UNC and Oden will not play...I totally expect UNC to win. But it'll be a showcase, that's for sure.

Also watch out for Kansas this year.

WVRed
11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
I think Ohio St is at least a year away, and that depends on whether or not Oden decides to stay after his freshman year. I know they have the next Shaquille O'Neal in college basketball, but they are still young. A final four run is possible, but I wouldnt be surprised if they end up facing a senior laden 8 or 9 seed that sends them out early. If everybody stays two years from now, when Oden is a junior and they have Koufus and Diebler there, they will be the odds on favorite, but that is doubtful.

It's going to be Florida's to win, thats for sure.

Caseyfan21
11-15-2006, 04:36 PM
OSU is highly overrated this year. Oden won't be a big player until late December at the earliest and until he's playing OSU lacks a post proven post presence. I think as long as the team weathers a tough non-conference schedule they should put themselves in good shape for the Big 10 season. OSU and Wisconsin should battle it out for the Big 10 title but Michigan could have a strong year as well.

I think OSU could be scary next year if Oden stays. They have another 7 footer coming in and being able to throw 2 7 footers out there to rotate in and out is awesome.

Caseyfan21
11-15-2006, 04:36 PM
How could you not favor Florida this year? They've basically got everybody back from last year's NC team.

UNC is awesome. They'll be right there with Florida.

OSU will, indeed, be very good...especially when Oden is ready. I'm a homer, I know, but I can see them making a run to the Final Four.

The OSU/UNC game in November 29 will be fun...but given that it's at UNC and Oden will not play...I totally expect UNC to win. But it'll be a showcase, that's for sure.

Oden could be back for the Floida game though. That will be a great game as well.

Puffy
11-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Oden is not staying another year. He is the definition of one and done. Heck, he's already the consensus Number 1 overall pick in the NBA draft, so why stay.

The only way is if this wrist injury keeps him out longer than expected - but still, it won't affect him being drafted number 1, so I think he leaves no matter what

Buckeye33
11-15-2006, 04:52 PM
OSU is highly overrated this year. Oden won't be a big player until late December at the earliest and until he's playing OSU lacks a post proven post presence. I think as long as the team weathers a tough non-conference schedule they should put themselves in good shape for the Big 10 season. OSU and Wisconsin should battle it out for the Big 10 title but Michigan could have a strong year as well.

I think OSU could be scary next year if Oden stays. They have another 7 footer coming in and being able to throw 2 7 footers out there to rotate in and out is awesome.

OSU is overrated as far as being rated 4th in the country. With Oden, I could see them being Top 8. Without him they are a Top 15-20 team. I disagree with most people that say OSU will not be able to compete with better teams because of their youth. Nowadays freshman college basketball players have played so much basketball (AAU) and against other top notch players that coming into college isn't as hard as it use to be.

I will use OSU as an example. I watched all 3 games this past weekend that OSU played. The only freshman on their team that made freshman mistakes was Daequan Cook. He took to many contested jump shots that he use to be able to take in high school and get away with it. On the other end, Mike Conley Jr. looked like he was a senior point guard. Teams were trying to double team him and he simply ran circles around all of them. He might lead the Big Ten in assists this year.

Freshman don't play like freshman anymore. They come in and make significant contributions right away now.

As far as nationally goes, Florida and UNC are a notch above everyone. Wisconsin will be very very good, as will Kansas, Georgetown, and UCLA.

max venable
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Oden is not staying another year. He is the definition of one and done. Heck, he's already the consensus Number 1 overall pick in the NBA draft, so why stay.

The only way is if this wrist injury keeps him out longer than expected - but still, it won't affect him being drafted number 1, so I think he leaves no matter what

I hear ya, Puff, and I tend to agree...but here's what SI says:

The Ohio State freshman is the biggest thing to hit college basketball in decades. Only the fourth two-time national high school player of the year, the 7-footer has dazzling, game-changing skills at both ends of the court. He's already so good, USA Basketball invited him to hang with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and other NBA stars at its training camp this summer.

But the 18-year-old might not be as eager to join the NBA as everyone thinks, especially with a wrist injury forcing him to miss the first half of the season.

"He wants to experience the college environment, and he still hasn't got to experience that yet," said Mike Conley Jr., one of No. 7 Ohio State's five heralded newcomers and a friend and teammate of Oden's since grade school.

"He still thinks he needs to get better," Conley added.

Besides, Oden likes school. An honors student at Lawrence North, he's majoring in business at Ohio State and wants to be an accountant.

He also relishes being "normal," refusing to get caught up in the hype surrounding him. His wardrobe is more prep than pro -- he showed up at an Indiana Pacers game last year in a polo shirt and jeans, and wore khakis and a brown sweater to Ohio State's first exhibition. And he rarely talks about being a potential No. 1 draft pick, even with his closest friends.

Though Oden has told friends he'd like to stay in school, he also has said he thinks he could play in the NBA after his time at the U.S. team training camp.

"I think he feels a lot more confident about it today than he did eight months ago," Conley Sr. said. "But with his injury and his hand, and coming back, you just never know. You just never know.".

You're right...he'll probably go...but Buckeye fans can always hope.

Caseyfan21
11-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I hear ya, Puff, and I tend to agree...but here's what SI says:

You're right...he'll probably go...but Buckeye fans can always hope.

:laugh: I almost posted that exact same article to respond to the exact same comment.

Cyclone792
11-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Florida is my early season favorite to win it all this season, though like always there's plenty of teams with the firepower to knock the Gators out and raise a banner. North Carolina and Kansas should be solid, and who knows what will happen in the Big East again this season with the amount of firepower they pack as a conference.

Being a UC fan, it would be a heckuva season for the 'cats to just have an NCAA Tourney appearance.

Super_Barry11
11-15-2006, 05:40 PM

Rock chalk!! Yay for Kansas!! :D :thumbup:

Sorry, I really have nothing constructive to add to this thread... I'm just a big Kansas fan!! :)

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-15-2006, 07:03 PM

Who's your source for these facts your spewing. He hasn't played a college game since this article was released, why would he change his mind now.

By Todd Plitt, USA TODAY

Not long after Oden's sophomore season at Lawrence North High School in Indianapolis, during the period that led to an unprecedented selection of eight high school players in the first 19 slots of the NBA draft, the speculation, private and persistent, was that Oden would have been Commissioner David Stern's first handshake had he been eligible.

Even as the name of the prospective psychology major is placed atop the mock draft lists, circa 2006, Oden sends a 20th-century message no one seems to hear:

"I know what I want to do," Oden said quietly. "I want to go to college."

traderumor
11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Florida is doomed with this much consensus, not to mention the unlikelihood that anyone repeats in this day and age.

Puffy
11-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Who's your source for these facts your spewing.

Where did I use the word fact?

GAC
11-15-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm just glad O'Brien is gone from OSU. I can now get back into following their basketball program.

WVRed
11-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Rock chalk!! Yay for Kansas!! :D :thumbup:

Sorry, I really have nothing constructive to add to this thread... I'm just a big Kansas fan!! :)

Oral Roberts beats Kansas 78-71.

traderumor
11-15-2006, 10:48 PM
UNC had a mighty struggle with the mighty Winthrop. That is why I consider Florida to have virtually no chance of repeating as many have predicted already. Too much overall balance in college basketball for a team to dominate from year to year...well, except Duke.

traderumor
11-15-2006, 10:50 PM

I believe it was this statement. While I agree that the word fact is not present in that sentence, that looks like a truth claim to me.

Oden is not staying another year. He is the definition of one and done.

max venable
11-16-2006, 08:04 AM
UNC had a mighty struggle with the mighty Winthrop. That is why I consider Florida to have virtually no chance of repeating as many have predicted already. Too much overall balance in college basketball for a team to dominate from year to year...well, except Duke.

Well...certainly Duke is Duke. They're on TV more than Leave It To Beavah...reruns...

I watched the end of that UNC/Winthrop game. Of course, I was pullling for Winthrop. That game was @ UNC, too.

Danny Serafini
11-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Vermont went into Boston College and gave them a beating the other night as well. The little guys are creeping closer to the big guns more and more every year.

RollyInRaleigh
11-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Well...certainly Duke is Duke. They're on TV more than Leave It To Beavah...reruns...

I watched the end of that UNC/Winthrop game. Of course, I was pullling for Winthrop. That game was @ UNC, too.

The game was played in Charlotte, not Chapel Hill. Not that there are not more UNC fans here in Charlotte, but Winthrop, in Rock Hill, SC is closer to Charlotte than UNC.

Johnny Footstool
11-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Oral Roberts beats Kansas 78-71.

Meh. Early season games don't matter much. KU was 2-3 last season and went on to win the Big 12.

Puffy
11-16-2006, 12:58 PM
I believe it was this statement. While I agree that the word fact is not present in that sentence, that looks like a truth claim to me.

How is that a truth claim? Did I cite anything? Did I quote him?

What I did was take all the prior years of kids leaving high school and going directly to the pros, all the talk from NBA GM's about how he is the surefire #1 pick, and then factored in the enormous about of money the number 1 pick makes and then gave an opinion. Yes, it was based on history, BUT IT WAS AN OPINION.

As clearly evidenced by my saying the "only was he stays is if his wrist injury holds him out longer" clearly stating that I have no knowledge and am only speculating.

traderumor
11-16-2006, 01:52 PM
How is that a truth claim? Did I cite anything? Did I quote him?

What I did was take all the prior years of kids leaving high school and going directly to the pros, all the talk from NBA GM's about how he is the surefire #1 pick, and then factored in the enormous about of money the number 1 pick makes and then gave an opinion. Yes, it was based on history, BUT IT WAS AN OPINION.

As clearly evidenced by my saying the "only was he stays is if his wrist injury holds him out longer" clearly stating that I have no knowledge and am only speculating.

There are words in the English language that allow one to clearly show that they are stating an opinion. Words like probably, seems, likely, suppose are all out there. They work much better than "is" when one is trying to communicate that they are merely stating an opinion rather than providing factual, documentable information. For all a reader knows, you may have had some information that the rest of us are not privy too.

Red Leader
11-16-2006, 04:13 PM

Oh. That's what you think?

So this is your opinion then, Puffy?

That's confusing. :cool:

George Foster
11-16-2006, 10:15 PM
This thread proves how bad the Kentucky program is going under the Tubby years. No mention whatsoever. If we don't make the final-4 this year it will be the longest stretch since the NCAA became the premier post season tournment. "Drain the Tub."

WMR
11-16-2006, 10:20 PM
This thread proves how bad the Kentucky program is going under the Tubby years. No mention whatsoever. If we don't make the final-4 this year it will be the longest stretch since the NCAA became the premier post season tournment. "Drain the Tub."

Losing national relevancy sucks big time.

paintmered
11-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Losing national relevancy sucks big time.

Bearcats fans say hi. :wave:

Cedric
11-17-2006, 02:09 PM
Meh. Early season games don't matter much. KU was 2-3 last season and went on to win the Big 12.

Yep. KU has a loaded roster and with that comes ego's. It takes time to develop the team first attitude needed.

Cyclone792
01-04-2007, 03:49 PM
College hoops is my bridge between the end of the NFL and spring training. Early Bracketology has now been unleashed, and the next two to three months should be a fun ride.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Florida, North Carolina, Ohio State, and Kansas got the bulk of the attention at the beginning of the season, but UCLA and Arizona look incredibly strong at the moment. UCLA is currently #1 in the RPI with a #2 SOS, and Arizona is #2 in the RPI with a #1 SOS. UCLA is currently ranked 1st in both the AP and Coaches poll, and Arizona is ranked 7th in each poll.

WMR
01-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Alabama getting SMACKED by Arkansas

Duke lost to Va. Tech

Andy Kennedy makes his SEC debut tonight against the Wildcats

Blimpie
01-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Even though they are barely ranked in the Top 25, I like Memphis to makes some noise in the tourney this March.

WMR
01-06-2007, 04:05 PM
What about Alabama getting smacked down by the Razorbacks??

How do you think we'll end up doing?

I'm actually feeling pretty good about how the team is looking... they at least seem to be a real tight group.

WVRed
01-06-2007, 05:04 PM
And UCLA got upended by Oregon. Time for UNC to take their turn in the hot seat.

Always nice to see Duke lose.

WVRed
01-06-2007, 05:09 PM

I'm actually feeling pretty good about how the team is looking... they at least seem to be a real tight group.

I will admit, we have a schedule that is very favorable early. The first real challenge is January 28th when the Vols come to Rupp. February will tell whether or not UK will be in the mix. Games against Florida(H), Tennessee(A), Alabama(A), and LSU(H) will tell whether or not this team is for real.

If the Cats can win out in January, I imagine things will be looking up heading into a brutal February.

Chip R
01-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Northern Iowa holds serve at home against Southern Illinois to claim sole possession of 1st place in the Missouri Valley. Tough week coming up for the Panthers with a game on Tuesday at Illinois State and a big one on Friday at home against their nemesis, Creighton. Wichita St will play Missouri St. on ESPNU tomorrow at 5:30. Should be an excellent game.

Blimpie
01-07-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm actually feeling pretty good about how the team is looking... they at least seem to be a real tight group.Any day is a good day when Duke loses at home to an unranked opponent....

I kinda think Alabama might end of being a paper tiger this year. All I know is that playing on the road in the SEC in brutal and, with their double-digit win yesterday, UK is now 1-0

The East is gonna be top heavy with UF, UK and Tennessee. I look for Georgia to surprise some people.

The West is gonna dominated be LSU, Arkansas (who I loved last year), and Bama. I personally think Auburn is a year or two away--which means they'll probably whack UK in Rupp on Wednesday night.

OnBaseMachine
01-07-2007, 12:15 PM
College hoops is my bridge between the end of the NFL and spring training. Early Bracketology has now been unleashed, and the next two to three months should be a fun ride.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Florida, North Carolina, Ohio State, and Kansas got the bulk of the attention at the beginning of the season, but UCLA and Arizona look incredibly strong at the moment. UCLA is currently #1 in the RPI with a #2 SOS, and Arizona is #2 in the RPI with a #1 SOS. UCLA is currently ranked 1st in both the AP and Coaches poll, and Arizona is ranked 7th in each poll.

My Trojans are gonna beat UCLA and Arizona both this week. You heard it here first!;) But seriously, the Pac-10 is unreal this year. UCLA and Arizona could win the National Championship. Oregon is damn good. Washington may be the most talented team in the country but they are very young. If all the talent starts to gel at one time then watch out for them. Washington State will be ranked tomorrow, and USC will receive some votes for the top 25.

Spring~Fields
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM

I guess each of you have seen more in Oden than I have, so far all I see is big, the occasional dunk, blocked shot and interference of inside shots that comes with any big man.

He looks like the NBA players would wear him out to me.

Razor Shines
01-07-2007, 12:38 PM
I guess each of you have seen more in Oden than I have, so far all I see is big, the occasional dunk, blocked shot and interference of inside shots that comes with any big man.

I've seen him play about 10 times in person and the biggest thing I see that he needs to work on is wanting the ball. I know his wrist is bothering him this year and that could have something to do with it, but even last year he didn't post up with intensity. I've seen flashes of his offensive aggressiveness but just flashes, but he's definetly more aggressive on defense than he is on offense. I've met him, and he's a great kid but I almost think that he's too nice on offense, afraid to be thought of as selfish. I mean that's just an outsiders opinion, just the way it seems to me watching the games. And I root for him, so I am not just running him down because I'm an IU fan. I always hope for Oden to play great and Ohio St. lose.

Cedric
01-07-2007, 04:21 PM

I guess we have.

He's dominating. He is playing with zero flexibility in his right hand, he can't shoot the ball over 5 feet with that hand. How is he supposed to do anything but dunk?

traderumor
01-07-2007, 04:30 PM
UCLA and Arizona could win the National Championship.
This is basketball. Only one champion per year. ;)

traderumor
01-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Most of the expectations I saw raved about the D, with the O needing development. I'm sure the wrist injury only set him further back in developing a big man offensive game. But watching a 7 footer leap and run the floor like he does sets him apart as a special big man, IMO. Not to mention he is only 18 years old. He is a good example where forcing such a man child into college may be the best thing that ever happened to his career. It seems that there are many more so-so careers than stars that come right out of high school and go to the NBA.

RedsManRick
01-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Don't know if I'd call them the best, but my Badgers are looking pretty good right now. Alando Tucker still isn't getting near the pub he deserves. A Bo Ryan coached defense on a team that can score 75-80 points a night is scary thing. They've already beat Pitt. Tuesday night's game vs. OSU is big.

max venable
01-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Don't know if I'd call them the best, but my Badgers are looking pretty good right now. Alando Tucker still isn't getting near the pub he deserves. A Bo Ryan coached defense on a team that can score 75-80 points a night is scary thing. They've already beat Pitt. Tuesday night's game vs. OSU is big.

Wiscosin is legit. I won't be surprised at all if they beat OSU Tuesday. When the season started, I thought OSU would breeze throught the Big Ten schedule. Now that I've seen play...I'm convinced...they're REALLY good. Either team could win the conference this year. Should be a great game.

Cyclone792
01-07-2007, 04:46 PM
My Trojans are gonna beat UCLA and Arizona both this week. You heard it here first!;) But seriously, the Pac-10 is unreal this year. UCLA and Arizona could win the National Championship. Oregon is damn good. Washington may be the most talented team in the country but they are very young. If all the talent starts to gel at one time then watch out for them. Washington State will be ranked tomorrow, and USC will receive some votes for the top 25.

You're definitely right about the Pac-10 this season. They're #1 in the conference RPI right now, and they've got a good shot to crown a National Champion this season in either UCLA or Arizona (and some of the other teams may make noise too). As a Trojans fan, you should be estatic about next season too since that's where O.J. Mayo's committed. USC fans are in for a treat when they get to see that guy play.

My UC team is suffering bad, including a home loss to Rutgers today. It's going to be a long season, and I don't even think they'll finish over .500 overall. I had predicted a 5-11 Big East record for them, but that was with the assumption that they'd actually beat Rutgers at home. But Cronin needs some time, and I've got confidence in him right now. It's looking like '08-'09 is the big year to bring in some solid recruits. Until then, it's going to be mostly JUCO roster filler.

I'm also curious to see how Kansas State does with Huggins in his first season and Bill Walker now playing for them. They're 10-5 overall (0-1 Big 12), but their RPI isn't terrible right now at 55.

guttle11
01-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Cyclone, Bill Walker just got hurt last night. Could be a torn ACL.

K-State's in big trouble this year.

Cyclone792
01-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Cyclone, Bill Walker just got hurt last night. Could be a torn ACL.

K-State's in big trouble this year.

Wow, I did not know that. That's a crushing injury for Kansas State, and if Walker's injury is that serious, that could affect his NBA draft status in the future.

I was excited to see Walker play and develop this season, but I guess that's all moot now.

WMR
01-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Most of the expectations I saw raved about the D, with the O needing development. I'm sure the wrist injury only set him further back in developing a big man offensive game. But watching a 7 footer leap and run the floor like he does sets him apart as a special big man, IMO. Not to mention he is only 18 years old. He is a good example where forcing such a man child into college may be the best thing that ever happened to his career. It seems that there are many more so-so careers than stars that come right out of high school and go to the NBA.

Great point, TR. How many potentially great players ended up below average after entering the NBA as an 18 year old only to ride the bench and never become as good as they could have?

Spring~Fields
01-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Not to mention he is only 18 years old.

That is a major point that went flying right over my head, leaves a lot of room for development and the college experience should help him.

I guess from reading a lot of comments expressing that he would be moving on to the pro's or could, I mistakenly envisioned him as already being capable of stardom at a higher level.

I am sure that he will show greater skills as his wrist improves and the experience is gained.

Spring~Fields
01-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Don't know if I'd call them the best, but my Badgers are looking pretty good right now.

From what I have seen they look awesome with great intensity.

OnBaseMachine
01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
You're definitely right about the Pac-10 this season. They're #1 in the conference RPI right now, and they've got a good shot to crown a National Champion this season in either UCLA or Arizona (and some of the other teams may make noise too). As a Trojans fan, you should be estatic about next season too since that's where O.J. Mayo's committed. USC fans are in for a treat when they get to see that guy play.

I watched Mayo on ESPNU last night against Damatha. Kid is the real deal. My brother and dad recently went to the Charleston Civic Center and watched Mayo play live (I was working and couldn't go). They both came away impressed.

As a fan of USC, I am very excited about next season when Mayo arrives. Aside from Mayo, we also have Davon Jefferson coming in next season, (4 star PF) who is rated among the top recruits in the country. Plus we'll have two very good seniors in Nick Young and Gabe Pruitt returning (hopefully). Both have NBA talent but are expected to stay one more year to play with Mayo. And we have two super freshman this year in Daniel Hackett and Taj Gibson, who I think is one of the top 5 freshman in all of college basketball. So yeah, I am very pumped about USC basketball right now. Tim Floyd is awesome.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-08-2007, 12:29 AM
I believe you said he is not staying, as if you have the inside track on the story. I was just wondering how you got the info, because the only press release that has come from Odens mouth says he wants to stay and graduate.

WMR
01-14-2007, 02:32 AM
3rd time in Tubby's career he has had a ten game win streak.

- Players speak glowingly of their first practice in the new $30 million basketball practice facility.

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=37&url_article_id=19190&change_well_id=2

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=37&url_article_id=19200&change_well_id=2