PDA

View Full Version : Updated: Bo Schembechler passed away

Heath
11-17-2006, 11:11 AM
From theozone.net -

Earlier this morning former Michigan Head Football Coach Bo Schembechler collapsed during a television taping at WXYZ television in Detroit.

Schembechler was taken by ambulance to Providence Hospital in the Detroit area. We have no report on his condition, but onlookers at the television station said that the situation appeared to be serious.

Schembechler is a native of Barberton, Ohio, and one of the architects of the Ohio State vs. Michigan rivalry. His 10-year competition with the late Woody Hayes is considered by many as the highpoint of the rivalry. Schembeckler played for Hayes at Miami of Ohio and later was a member of Hayes' OSU coaching staff.

More details when they are known.

Caseyfan21
11-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Best of luck to him to get well soon. I know he had already said he wasn't coming to the game because of health conditions with the heart problems he had earlier this year.

Edit: Just read over at Bucknuts someone heard on the radio he is in critical condition.

Red Leader
11-17-2006, 11:21 AM
One of the Michigan blogs I read had this:

Word around the hospital is a severe heart attack. Bo, seriously: you gotta make it one more day.

I'll be praying for Bo and his family and hope that he fully recovers.

westofyou
11-17-2006, 11:26 AM
The man has had a bad ticker since 1969, hold on Bo.

Caseyfan21
11-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Here's a link to the ESPN.com story that I'm sure will be updated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2665857

And to echo Red Leader, Bo has to make it one more day no matter what. That would be terrible to see him go the day before arguably the biggest game in the rivalry.

Red Leader
11-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Report out of Detroit's Channel 7 are now saying that Bo Schembechler has passed away at the age of 77.

R.I.P, Coach. You'll be missed and thank you for the memories.

pedro
11-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Report out of Detroit's Channel 7 are now saying that Bo Schembechler has passed away at the age of 77.

R.I.P, Coach. You'll be missed and thank you for the memories.

wow. :(

Red Leader
11-17-2006, 12:10 PM
http://images.dawgsports.com/images/admin/Schembechler.jpg

westofyou
11-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Say hey to Woody Coach.

LoganBuck
11-17-2006, 12:11 PM
RIP Bo, as great a coach as there ever was.

Red Leader
11-17-2006, 12:12 PM
My friend at work sent me an email and said "Now Bo and Woody can watch the game together tomorrow and scream at each other until they both lose their voices."

Probably true. I can't image either of them doing anything else.

LoganBuck
11-17-2006, 12:12 PM
You have to wonder how worked up he was getting over this game. With his heart condition the stress could have been too much.

Caseyfan21
11-17-2006, 12:16 PM
What do you want to bet Woody just wanted a buddy to watch the game with?

Edit: Just saw we posted the same thing Red Leader

Matt700wlw
11-17-2006, 12:24 PM
My thought with him and his family...

Talk about extra motivation for Michigan tomorrow

KronoRed
11-17-2006, 12:27 PM
RIP Bo :(

LoganBuck
11-17-2006, 12:34 PM
ESPN News is carrying the local Michigan Channel 7 Feed. They did show some of the interview that he had just been taping. Nothing abnormal. Pretty neat career highlight montage being shown as well.

MartyFan
11-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Honestly this guy is loved more in Columbus, OH than some of our coaches since Woody.

RIP

Spring~Fields
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
My god, that is so very sad, he was a great man for many and a one of a kind coach.

cumberlandreds
11-17-2006, 01:18 PM
RIP Bo Schembechler. I wonder how this will play into the big game tomorrow. I will always remember him when he was the Michigan AD in a press conference after Bill Freider had left to go to Arizona State. He was telling the reporters he didn't want Frieder to stay on for the NCAA Tournament because he wanted a Michigan man to coach not an Arizona man. I kinda of admired him for that. Schembechler said he would coach the team if had to but we all know what happened. Fisher caught a bolt of lightening and won the NCAA championship.

Spring~Fields
11-17-2006, 01:23 PM
I wish that Ohio State and Michigan along with ABC would do something unprecedented tomorrow, beyond showing respect, I wish that they would show heart and soul and set the game aside for more than the traditional moment.

To see both schools agree and both coaches and teams come to the middle of the field, and for the coaches to speak before millions, for both to dedicate the game to Bo.

Bo made this game what it is. Without Bo a big part of Woody would have never been, a big part of Michigan vs. Ohio State never would have been, in a very big way Bo made the show that is to be played tomorrow what it is. Both schools owe Bo a great deal so it would be appropriate for both to express that while setting the game aside for a bit, for Bo.

BUTLER REDSFAN
11-17-2006, 01:23 PM
not that anyone is looking at it but they might want to close the Dead Schembechler thread

westofyou
11-17-2006, 01:24 PM
He was telling the reporters he didn't want Frieder to stay on for the NCAA Tournament because he wanted a Michigan man to coach not an Arizona man.And his replacement led them to the championship. Good times.

Chip R
11-17-2006, 01:33 PM
RIP, Bo. I just saw a great column about Bo

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Aqmd7CZEurhYwfDwmNhQQeAcvrYF?slug=dw-schembechler111706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Heath
11-17-2006, 01:43 PM
I wish that Ohio State and Michigan along with ABC would do something unprecedented tomorrow, beyond showing respect, I wish that they would show heart and soul and set the game aside for more than the traditional moment.

To see both schools agree and both coaches and teams come to the middle of the field, and for the coaches to speak before millions, for both to dedicate the game to Bo.

Bo made this game what it is. Without Bo a big part of Woody would have never been, a big part of Michigan vs. Ohio State never would have been, in a very big way Bo made the show that is to be played tomorrow what it is. Both schools owe Bo a great deal so it would be appropriate for both to express that while setting the game aside for a bit, for Bo.

I would think that Tressel and Carr have this covered for tomorrow.

Red Leader
11-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I would think that Tressel and Carr have this covered for tomorrow.

I agree. Lloyd, one of Bo's best friends, and Tressel, a noted believer in traditions of the game, are two people I would expect to do no matter what it takes to make sure that Bo is remembered in this game.

As a side note, no matter what NCAA sanctions are put in place, I expect Michigan to have a patch or a sticker on their jersey or helmet for tomorrow's game to remember Bo. The University will undoubtedly pay huge dollars for any fines incurred as a result just to make sure a tribute is carried out.

registerthis
11-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow, how sad. RIP, Bo. :(

Reds Freak
11-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Not only do I hope to see a fitting tribute tomorrow for the game by both schools, I sincerely hope that Ohio State fans and students are respectful and quiet for the ceremony or moment of silence whatever they decide to do. I know most fans will, but the majority of the students will be liquored up and might not understand the magnitude of Bo's impact on college football and the rivalry between OSU and UM.

RIP

registerthis
11-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Not only do I hope to see a fitting tribute tomorrow for the game by both schools, I sincerely hope that Ohio State fans and students are respectful and quiet for the ceremony or moment of silence whatever they decide to do. I know most fans will, but the majority of the students will be liquored up and might not understand the magnitude of Bo's impact on college football and the rivalry between OSU and UM.

RIP

Oh, I'm quite certain that most OSU students and fans are aware of Bo's place in this rivalry. Whether they'll be respectful or not, I don't know. I hope they are.

RedFanAlways1966
11-17-2006, 02:31 PM
I am stunned. The sad news, the timing... just shocking to me. I am a huge OSU fan, but I have always respected Bo. He was a great coach and seemed to turn many boys into men. He will be missed. RIP.

:(

Chip R
11-17-2006, 02:38 PM

RIP

I hope so too. I hope the OSU fans exhibit the class that they believe they have.

BuckWoody
11-17-2006, 02:49 PM
What tragic news. Woody and Bo were the face of this rivalry and it was always kind of nice, even as a Buckeye, to still see Bo and hear what he had to say. His great stories about his relationship with Woody and his love of UM football were priceless. He will be missed in Columbus as he will most assuredly be in Ann Arbor.

As some have already said, and if you believe in such things, I'm sure the good Lord has prepared a nice spot for Bo and Woody to watch tomorrow's game together. If you hear thunder during the game you'll know it's those two going at it.

R.I.P. Bo.

LoganBuck
11-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Gene Smith, OSU AD, said they plan on having a moment of silence.

Patpacillosjock
11-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Sad sad eerie news.

the timing is unbelievable. As a fellow alumn as Bo was, I am quite sorrowed. Its not a good year to be associated with Miami U football (roethlisberger, randy walker, terry hoeppner, and now bo)

Red Leader
11-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Bo apparently addressed this year's Michigan team yesterday.

His final words to the team: "YOU MUST OUTPLAY OHIO STATE!"

You will be missed, Bo.

Edskin
11-17-2006, 03:22 PM
The ironic timing of this is almost creepy. Sad news.

Patpacillosjock
11-17-2006, 04:32 PM
just now? talking about Schemblecher? I started to tear up listening to him.

man.

paintmered
11-17-2006, 04:40 PM
just now? talking about Schemblecher? I started to tear up listening to him.

man.

No. What was said?

Roy Tucker
11-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Good article on Bo at SI from 1981....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/11/17/boflashback/index.html

Patpacillosjock
11-17-2006, 05:53 PM
No. What was said?

Just recalling stories of being with Bo at Michigan and how close Smith's wife was with Bo and funny stories on how they would jones one another.

Smith started choking up when he told as story of Bo having a heart attack in LA after the rose bowl and at the hospital bo and his wife asks Smith and his wife to go back home and look over their 3 young sons for 3 months while Bo was recuperating in the hospital.

to hear a grown man cry is one of the toughest things for me. Especially when you realize these two men spent so much time together in the football trenches and having a friendship last 40 years...i mean wow.

It really hit home.

WVJulz
11-17-2006, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=Red Leader;1193579]My friend at work sent me an email and said "Now Bo and Woody can watch the game together tomorrow and scream at each other until they both lose their voices."

This is weird, because that was my very first reaction too. Now Woody and Bo can watch THE game together.
Rest in peace Bo, and GO BUCKEYES!!!!!!!!!!
Julz

OnBaseMachine
11-17-2006, 09:16 PM
RIP Bo.

redsfan30
11-17-2006, 10:14 PM
If Ohio State fans react in any other way than 100% respectful during the moment of silence, I will be totally disgraced and disgusted with my fellow fanbase.

And as others have said, Woody just needed somebody to watch the game with.

OnBaseMachine
11-18-2006, 12:22 AM
I just read that Bo once served as the Detroit Tigers team president in the early 1990s. I didn't know that until just now.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061117&content_id=1742572&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

gilpdawg
11-18-2006, 02:08 AM
If Ohio State fans react in any other way than 100% respectful during the moment of silence, I will be totally disgraced and disgusted with my fellow fanbase.

And as others have said, Woody just needed somebody to watch the game with.
You're right on. I fear there may be some classlessness, but that may just be the cynic in me.

GAC
11-18-2006, 03:59 AM
There is a point when rivalries no longer matter. This is one of them.

My heartfelt prayers go out to the Schembechler family and all at Ann Arbor, and all Michigan fans.

Woody and Bo didn't create the OSU-Michigan rivalry.... but they sure did exemplify it.

As a now middle aged man I can remember, after living through the turbulent 60's, having a "letdown" with the decade of the 70's. Most of my generation couldn't wait to get out of it.

But now older and looking back, it wasn't so bad. I was a fortunate man to have been able to experience such events as the Big Red Machine and the OSU-Michigan rivalry at it's height (IMO).

But don't think there won't be a "Lets win one for the Gipper" speech in that Wolverine locker room today. ;)

I am always kind of emotionally depressed whenever OSU loses to Michigan. What a state to be in for most the last 20 years huh?

And while my competitiveness, and wanting to win this game certainly hasn't changed with the passing of Bo, if they win today, I will proudly wear their colors and be a Michigan fan for the remainder of the season in tribute to a greater coach and competitor.

Sweetstop
11-18-2006, 08:16 AM
I remember Barry Larkin saying (in an interview at some point) that while he was playing baseball at Michigan, when once seeing him, Bo said something like, "Why don't you come over here and play a real sport."

max venable
11-18-2006, 08:44 AM
I remember Barry Larkin saying (in an interview at some point) that while he was playing baseball at Michigan, when once seeing him, Bo said something like, "Why don't you come over here and play a real sport."

One year at spring training, Barry was signing autographs for several of us and somebody nearby hollered, "Go Blue!" And Barry responeded with a, "Go Blue" of his own. I spoke up and said, "No, no, no...Go Bucks!" And Barry replied with: "As long as they're not playing the Blue." Which kinda made me think that Barry was cool with the Bucks (at least somewhat).

Spring~Fields
11-18-2006, 09:21 AM
There is a point when rivalries no longer matter. This is one of them.

My heartfelt prayers go out to the Schembechler family and all at Ann Arbor, and all Michigan fans.

Bo Schembechler bio
Name: Glenn Edward Schembechler
Nickname: Bo, came from his sister's attempts to say "brother" when they were children.
Born: April 1, 1929.
Died: Nov. 17, 2006
Birthplace: Barberton, Ohio
Coaching: Miami (Ohio), 1963-68, 40-17-3; Michigan, 1969-89, 194-48-5.
Education: Graduated Miami (Ohio), 1951; Master's degree at Ohio State, 1952.
Honors: Winningest head coach in Michigan football history. Won or tied 13 Big Ten championships during his tenure. Coached 17 teams to postseason bowl games (10 Rose Bowls). Never had a losing season. Seven-time Big Ten coach of the year. He was voted national Coach of the Year in 1969 by the American Football Coaches Association and the Football Writers Association of America. Inducted into the Miami University Hall of Fame in 1972, the State of Michigan Sports Hall of Fame in 1989, the University of Michigan Hall of Honor in 1992, the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame in 1993 and the National Football Foundation College Hall of Fame in 1993.
After Coaching: Athletic director at Michigan, 1988-90. Detroit Tigers president, 1990-92.

source: http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6181330