PDA

View Full Version : Dunn to the Red Sox?

jamess697
11-18-2006, 05:31 PM
If the Red Sox unload Manny this offseason, would the Red Sox be interested in Adam Dunn? They have some quality starting pitching that can be huge and they would probably take on LaRue contract in the deal as well. We could get Jon Lester, and Coco Crisp in return for Dunn, LaRue, and Pelland. That would solve a lot of problems for us. What do you think, because it was just a thought.

Falls City Beer
11-18-2006, 06:15 PM
If the Red Sox unload Manny this offseason, would the Red Sox be interested in Adam Dunn? They have some quality starting pitching that can be huge and they would probably take on LaRue contract in the deal as well. We could get Jon Lester, and Coco Crisp in return for Dunn, LaRue, and Pelland. That would solve a lot of problems for us. What do you think, because it was just a thought.

I don't know. But I'd sure like to have Manny on the Reds. :)

Topcat
11-18-2006, 06:23 PM

Lester is recovering from some form of Cancer, and his future in baseball has to be considered cloudy right now.

jamess697
11-18-2006, 06:25 PM
I forgot about that, but they have a ton of pitching so any of those pitchers would work.

flyer85
11-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Reds on short on "O" with Dunn, without him they would be woeful. If he is traded a bat will have to come back(Crisp ain't it).

Natty Redlocks
11-18-2006, 08:52 PM
I had a Dunn/ Griffey/ Freel for Manny and Crisp fantasy today. Mmmm good stuff.

vaticanplum
11-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I forgot about that, but they have a ton of pitching so any of those pitchers would work.

Who, the Red Sox? The Red Sox have some pretty serious pitching problems at the moment. They may be be rectified during the offseason, but as it stands right now I think they'd be reluctant to get rid of any worthwhile pitching.

Manny is just a more extreme version of Dunn, all good points and bad, and better paid too. I don't think he'd significantly help the Reds unless he dragged Ortiz with him on his shirttails. And for all of his annual bleating, I think he'll probably be on the Sox for the rest of his career.

Wheelhouse
11-19-2006, 04:22 AM
I don't know. But I'd sure like to have Manny on the Reds. :)

Not me. I'm not interested in watching "Manny be Manny" and I darn well won't pay for it. He's a great hitter who is a shameful ballplayer. Let him wear hooded sweatshirts in the Red Sox unshaven dugout. Don't dare touch ground here.

Highlifeman21
11-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Not me. I'm not interested in watching "Manny be Manny" and I darn well won't pay for it. He's a great hitter who is a shameful ballplayer. Let him wear hooded sweatshirts in the Red Sox unshaven dugout. Don't dare touch ground here.

Wow, so you're actually indirectly in support of Dunn?

Good thing I was sitting when I read your post....

I would definitely prefer Manny over Dunn, but in our lineup Manny would walk 300 times a year b/c there is NO ONE in our lineup that would offer him protection to see some pitches aside from maybe EE.

cincinnati chili
11-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Manny has 10/5 rights. Don't laugh but he's unlikely to agree to a trade unless he gets MORE than the $20 mil/year the Sox pay him.

As pointed out above, Lester has cancer and IIRC has gone/is going thru chemotherapy. The media silence about is condition is very, very scary.

If the Reds trade Dunn to the Red Sox, it will probably be in some sort of swindle.

Krusty
11-19-2006, 11:07 AM
How about Dunn in a packaged deal to Atlanta for OF Andrew Jones?

cincinnati chili
11-19-2006, 12:04 PM

10-5

Patpacillosjock
11-19-2006, 12:27 PM
anybody in this thread who is comparing dunn to manny ramirez, should get their heads checked.

manny ramirez is in the top 3 hitters in the past 50 years. sox are gonna keep him to protect ortiz. the only way they trade him is for a player like A-ROD's caliber (like they tried a few years ago). Anything less is stupid.

blumj
11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Manny has 10/5 rights. Don't laugh but he's unlikely to agree to a trade unless he gets MORE than the $20 mil/year the Sox pay him.

As pointed out above, Lester has cancer and IIRC has gone/is going thru chemotherapy. The media silence about is condition is very, very scary.

If the Reds trade Dunn to the Red Sox, it will probably be in some sort of swindle.
Manny would probably want an option picked up, so it would make it a 3 year deal instead of two, but probably not more per year. Who knows with him, though? The guy wants out of Boston desperately, then he doesn't, then he does, then he doesn't. Manny and the Red Sox are like an old married couple that keeps threatening to divorce each other, but neither of them really wants to when push comes to shove.

The last time Francona talked about Lester in a tv interview a few weeks ago, he sounded and looked quite positive, so don't be too scared for him yet. The media silence is because he and his family have requested privacy, so the Red Sox have been very careful. I think if there was anything new and not positive about Lester's condition, it would get out. The media is respecting his privacy, but, IMO, they wouldn't if there was something truly newsworthy to report, and bad news would be newsworthy.

Highlifeman21
11-19-2006, 03:16 PM

How many teams have you traded Dunn to this offseason?

Just curious.

What do we do with Griffey if we were to send Dunn to ATL for essentially Jones?

reds44
11-19-2006, 03:28 PM
How about we keep Dunn and build the offense around him and Edwin?

I like that idea.

Ltlabner
11-19-2006, 03:30 PM
How about we keep Dunn and build the offense around him and Edwin?

I like that idea.

Stop being so sensable darn it.

TOBTTReds
11-19-2006, 05:11 PM

This is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

This is worse than the crooked hat arguments for why not to sign a FA.

Krusty
11-20-2006, 08:39 AM
How many teams have you traded Dunn to this offseason?

Just curious.

What do we do with Griffey if we were to send Dunn to ATL for essentially Jones?

You shift Griffey to LF. Dunn's defensive liablities are well noted. And with Krivisky remodeling this club more towards pitching and defense, Dunn could be dealt if he could improve the defense, add a closer and a hitter that strikes out less.

Highlifeman21
11-20-2006, 09:29 AM
You shift Griffey to LF. Dunn's defensive liablities are well noted. And with Krivisky remodeling this club more towards pitching and defense, Dunn could be dealt if he could improve the defense, add a closer and a hitter that strikes out less.

Because Dunn's strikeouts are hurting the team and his production right now.... I'll take Dunn and his 180+ Ks a year with his .850+ OPS, not to mention his 100 R, 40 HR, and 100 RBI.

A closer? Our team has more pressing needs than a closer. How about a #3 starter? I think that's a bigger hole than closer right now, IMO. We have 2 legitimate starters, and then a collection of garbage.

I'm not so convinced moving Griffey to LF and trading Dunn just to trade Dunn helps the LF defense all that much. Griffey may still have above average instincts, but his body can't come remotely close to doing what his mind thinks he can do. Griffey just doesn't get to balls that he should, it's that simple. I'd rather see us salary dump Griffey to some team than give up on our best offensive talent. But that's just me....

Johnny Footstool
11-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Strikeouts hurt your feelings and embarass your dad.

joshnky
11-20-2006, 10:50 AM

If we trade Dunn who will become public enemy #1 of RedsZone. With Aurilia and Clayton likely gone as well there are going to be a good number of people left without anything to talk about. If you thought the Jerry Narron and Eric Milton threads were extreme last year wait till this year when they are the only one left to hate.

ChatterRed
11-20-2006, 05:23 PM
The latest rumor has the Red Sox dangling Ortiz and Manny for Dunn. :D

RFS62
11-20-2006, 05:24 PM

How much money are they kicking in?

MartyFan
11-20-2006, 06:21 PM
With the Mets signing Alou to a one year deal does this open up more potential for the Reds to deal Dunn or Junior to the A's?

RedsBaron
11-20-2006, 07:31 PM

The Bosox had better throw in a couple of pitchers as well.;)

Degenerate39
11-20-2006, 08:26 PM
The Bosox had better throw in a couple of pitchers as well.;)

And the Green Monster ;)

remdog
11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't want to see AD traded but, if you do move him to the BoSox, at least get them to throw in Willy Mo in the deal. :)

Rem

vaticanplum
11-20-2006, 09:44 PM
And the Green Monster ;)

and Ted Williams's body.

wheels
11-20-2006, 09:52 PM
and Ted Williams's body.

I just want his head.