PDA

View Full Version : Soriano to the Cubs

cincy09
11-19-2006, 04:11 PM
8 years 136 million

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs' ownership is showing new manager Lou Piniella that they are serious about winning.

Alfonso Soriano
Left Field
Washington Nationals

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
159 46 95 119 .351 .277

Chicago radio station ESPN 1000 reported Sunday that the Cubs have agreed to an eight-year contract worth approximately $136 million with outfielder Alfonso Soriano.

The move would clearly mark the highlight in an already busy offseason for the Cubs, who have signed free-agent infielder Mark DeRosa and have re-signed third baseman Aramis Ramirez and righthander Kerry Wood.

But the biggest prize is Soriano, who is coming off an outstanding all-around season for the Washington Nationals in which he hit .277 with 46 home runs and 95 RBI. The 30-year-old ranked third in the National League in homers and also stole 41 bases -- the sixth-highest total in the circuit.

After complaining in spring training about having to move from second base to left field, Soriano blossomed in his new surroundings. He led the league with 22 outfield assists, six more than his closest competitor, and displayed respectable range for a converted infielder.

Soriano became the first player in baseball history with 40 home runs, 40 stolen bases and 20 outfield assists in a single season. He also became the first member of the 40-40-40 club, which encapsulates homers, stolen bases and doubles.

An All-Star in each of the last five years, Soriano owns a .280 average with 208 home runs and 560 RBI in eight seasons with the New York Yankees, Texas Rangers and the Nationals.

Soriano finished third in the AL Rookie of the Year balloting with the Yankees in 2001, when he hit .268 with 18 homers and 73 RBI. He finished third in MVP voting the following season, when he increased his average to .300 and collected 39 homers and 102 RBI.

Tornon
11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't like the idea of facing him 20 games a year, half in Wrigley & half in GABP for the next 8 years..

cincy09
11-19-2006, 04:21 PM
sounds like an awful amount of chedder for a guy pushing 40 at the back end of the deal.

Patpacillosjock
11-19-2006, 04:31 PM
wow. Cubs are serious this year. their 3-4-5 is Lee, Ramirez, and Soriano.

thats pretty solid.

blumj
11-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't like the idea of facing him 20 games a year, half in Wrigley & half in GABP for the next 8 years..
At least he'll be on the wrong side of 35 for half of them. And Bronson knows how to handle him, maybe he can teach the rest of the staff.

Degenerate39
11-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Why did he have to come to our division :(

jmac
11-19-2006, 04:58 PM

thats pretty solid.

that is pretty solid,correct.
however so is: damon,jeter,a-rod,sheffield,matsui,giambi,posada,williams,cano.
didnt exactly win them bunches of championships.
go reds !

cincyinco
11-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Lets just hope like the Curse of Griffey, Cubs get stuck with the Curse of Soriano.

I don't wish injury upon Soriano, i just hope it doesn't work out like they plan.

Caveat Emperor
11-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Eight years is a long, long time in baseball. Chicago should call down to GABP and ask them what they think of long-term deals for "can't miss" superstars.

WVRedsFan
11-19-2006, 05:47 PM

thats pretty solid.

I keep repeating over and over...it's pitching and defense. It's pitching and defense.

They get Soriano and we get Gonzo?

Wow. Money talks.

Redsland
11-19-2006, 06:06 PM
How can that be? Joe Morgan said it was "the greatest line-up in history."

:ughmamoru

IslandRed
11-19-2006, 06:22 PM
At least he'll be on the wrong side of 35 for half of them.

That's about it. For the first half of the deal, we'll probably hate it that the Cubs have him. The second half of the deal, we'll be tickled that they still have to pay him.

Patpacillosjock
11-19-2006, 06:59 PM
go reds !

you're right. and yes pitching and defense HELP win ball games but I give respect and admiration for the cubs front office uncharacteristically spendin some dough to improve their lineup.

Im not being a troll or negative but a healthy Derek Lee (circa 2005), re-signing Aramis Ramirez (after a monster year and could have made alot more money elsewhere), and now Soriano , batting in the middle of that lineup is probably the best in the NL outside of the NY mets.

You have contact, hit for average, and power from Lee
Power and Ribbies from Ramirez
Power, decent average (anywhere from .280-300), and SPEEED (!) from Soriano.

and if the Cubs are dumb enough, they'll let him play 2nd like he wants which leads them to have the best hitting infield in the NL

fearofpopvol1
11-19-2006, 07:55 PM
I think the thing to consider here is that the Cubs have many other holes to fill and to spend this kind of money on just one hole may not be the best strategy. I guess we'll see.

Superdude
11-19-2006, 09:33 PM
What kind of absurd damage is Soriano gonna do in Wrigley next season?! The guy hit 46 homers in one of the toughest hitters parks in the game. As if Milton's HR totals weren't high enough.

jmac
11-19-2006, 10:03 PM
you're right. and yes pitching and defense HELP win ball games but I give respect and admiration for the cubs front office uncharacteristically spendin some dough to improve their lineup.

dont get me wrong...you are correct on your observations.all i was saying is sometimes we as fans give the division title to a team in nov-feb.
like when yanks signed giambi, you think"well give them the title now" or when i heard they had aquired a-rod i thought "they will be champions now".
the rocket couldnt put stros over the hump as jr couldnt put us over several years ago.
soriano will help but there are many in holes to fill for cubs.after zambrano,you say "if wood" and "if prior' and of course maddux is gone.
soriano will help offense but the cubs have lost many a game 11-10.
not sayin you thought this.....just mainly my observations.

terminator
11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
No doubt the Cub's offense is potent with him, but the real question is what happens with their pitching next year. Will Prior ever pitch a full season again? Will Wood be able to pitch? Wade Miller? I saw Rich Hill pitch at GABP and he didn't look as good as his stats for the year might indicate. Anyway, Zambrano aside that's a terrible pitching staff because of injury histories.

Anyway, it would have been nice if he had signed somewhere outside our division, but I wouldn't want the Reds saddled with a $17MM contract for 8 years, so I don't mind too much that the Cubs got him and are saddled with that.

Natty Redlocks
11-19-2006, 10:11 PM
It looks like the Cubs are declaring themselves the Yankees of the NL Central.

I just hope the Reds are the Blue Jays and not the D-Rays.

BTW, it looks like the plan is for the Fonz to play CF and lead off.

Patpacillosjock
11-20-2006, 01:07 AM

I just hope the Reds are the Blue Jays and not the D-Rays.

BTW, it looks like the plan is for the Fonz to play CF and lead off.

I've never undrestood why any manager would bat him leadoff.

A) he strikes out a lot
B) has immense power and ability to drive in runs
C) isnt really good at "setting up the table"
D) has great speed but so did guys like Eric Davis, Bonds, Canseco and all batted 3-4th in the lineup.

it'd be a waste batting him leadoff.

Natty Redlocks
11-20-2006, 01:30 PM
I've never undrestood why any manager would bat him leadoff.

A) he strikes out a lot
B) has immense power and ability to drive in runs
C) isnt really good at "setting up the table"
D) has great speed but so did guys like Eric Davis, Bonds, Canseco and all batted 3-4th in the lineup.

it'd be a waste batting him leadoff.

Supposedly, he's more comfortable leading off. It is where he's had the most success. It's possible it was a major factor in getting him to sign. Not as major as the money, obviously.

It does give him more at-bats, anyway.

oneupper
11-20-2006, 05:41 PM

thats pretty solid.

Also very right handed...I doubt they play it that way.

RichRed
11-20-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not worried - Soriano isn't "clutch." ;)

2004-06:

Close & late - .261/.342/.425/.767

RISP - .240/.326/.441/.767

vaticanplum
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM

Except the Yankees are good.