PDA

View Full Version : Easy Home Theater question.......

JaxRed
11-20-2006, 12:02 AM
unless you don't know (like me). Going to take my first venture into Home Theater with a TIB (Theater in a box). Built-in DVD/Receiver

It has an optical audio input. It would seem logical that since it is one piece, the DVD outputs Dolby Digital to the speakers without using that input. And that the input is used for 3rd party components like satellite receivers.

Am I right?

jmcclain19
11-20-2006, 03:40 AM
unless you don't know (like me). Going to take my first venture into Home Theater with a TIB (Theater in a box). Built-in DVD/Receiver

It has an optical audio input. It would seem logical that since it is one piece, the DVD outputs Dolby Digital to the speakers without using that input. And that the input is used for 3rd party components like satellite receivers.

Am I right?

I would say that's a pretty logical assumption. You would just need to make sure that you're satellite reciever has a digital output to make use of it.

I know DirecTV says that not all of their recievers are Dolby Digital capable.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/faqPage.jsp?assetId=P1700038&Id=60007262#category3

I know most high end Plasma & LCD flat screens nowadays have that output available, which if it had it, you might be able to just bypass the Sat reciever and run the sound straight into the Sound Reciever. Not optimal but would work.

RFS62
11-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Sounds right to me, Jax.

bengalsown
11-20-2006, 05:40 PM
You're right. And most home theater products made in the last 3 years or so have digital out.

What kind of system are you buying?

JaxRed
11-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I bought a starter system. My "theater" is a bedroom that's my adult toy room. It's a Phillips HTS 3450. Costs $199 before a $50 rebate at Best Buy for 1000 watts, decodes all the flavors of Dolby 5, DTS, Divx Ultra, has a USB port in front for audio (but doesn't display album art).

My initial test on system is that it sounds pretty good to the layman. We were all correct on the fact that the DVD outputs the Dolby directly to the system.

Here's the part that surprised me. System has a big subwoofer. It connects to the DVD by use of the same cable that an analog computer monitor does. The subwoofer has a power plug !!! And all the other speakers plug into the subwoofer, not the DVD player.