PDA

View Full Version : Tom Glavine anyone?

Brutus
11-21-2006, 12:34 AM
According to ESPN, the Mets didn't pick up his option. Shouldn't this be a guy the Reds go after?

marcshoe
11-21-2006, 12:35 AM
I heard a comment on XM today about him going back to the Braves if the Mets didn't pick up the option. Is this a known fact? conventional wisdom? a guess?

Patpacillosjock
11-21-2006, 12:55 AM
No just because we've already filled our quota of 40+ left handed pitchers this offseason :(

CRedsLarkin11
11-21-2006, 02:07 AM
I believe that option was in the $14 mill range, probably a little out of our reach. I really think he belongs on a win now type of team, the Reds are a work in progress right now.

Jpup
11-21-2006, 06:44 AM
I would imagine he'll be back in Atlanta or go to Boston. He's from Concord, MA. I would love for the Reds to get him for a year or two, but I can't imagine it in a million years.

VI_RedsFan
11-21-2006, 07:04 AM
No just because we've already filled our quota of 40+ left handed pitchers this offseason :(

Stanton is 39 :evil:

KoryMac5
11-21-2006, 07:47 AM
I heard he was still in discussions on a new contract with the Mets. They were not going to pay him the 14 million and I feel he would love to get a two year deal out of them anyway. If not he would go back to Atlanta. Baltimore maybe possible with his connection to Mazzone. Thats my guess anyways.

redsmetz
11-21-2006, 08:21 AM
I heard he was still in discussions on a new contract with the Mets. They were not going to pay him the 14 million and I feel he would love to get a two year deal out of them anyway. If not he would go back to Atlanta. Baltimore maybe possible with his connection to Mazzone. Thats my guess anyways.

That's what I've read elsewhere. Essentially the Mets opted out of paying him that much, paid the buyout and were going to take their chances trying to resign him at a more reasonable number. I often wonder at what point does a player say "I've made a considerable amount of money in my career, I just want to play" and takes something more teams can afford. If these players haven't put away a good portion of the tens of millions they've made, they need better financial advise.

NJReds
11-21-2006, 08:26 AM
I've seen it reported here in NY that he's said he'll either play for the Mets or the Braves.

15fan
11-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Glavine's on the market?

That's a name I'd go after.

Hard.

A lefty with a proven track record of throwing 200 innings a year with an ERA in the neighborhood of 3.75?

That would look great between Arroyo and Harang.