PDA

View Full Version : What reclamation pitching project would you do.

Cedric
11-21-2006, 01:41 PM
If you would. It's not a fun process and it's something I'm entirely sick of, that said I'd not be opposed to it if the price is right.

My pick is Kip Wells. Get him back in the NL and hopefully his foot is healed.

Heath
11-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Chris Carpenter, Jeff Weaver, and Jeff Suppan come to mind as 'reclimation projects'.

How did they do in 2006?

I think people get reclimation confused with Jim Bowden, who hit with Pete Schoreck for one year and Pete Harnisch & Steve Parris on a few. The fact that Jim did reclimation as a quantity over quality soured many Reds fan.

Cedric
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Chris Carpenter, Jeff Weaver, and Jeff Suppan come to mind as 'reclimation projects'.

How did they do in 2006?

It's much easier being a project with that defense. Suppan for one is a very average pitcher.

Weaver? He's junk.

Patrick Bateman
11-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Brian Lawrence may be worth a shot on a MLC.

He could be a serviceable pitcher if he can get past his injuries. He was clearly on the downhill the last couple seasons, but if he can regain form, Lawrence could be a bit of a sleeper.

Heath
11-21-2006, 02:14 PM
It's much easier being a project with that defense. Suppan for one is a very average pitcher.

Weaver? He's junk.

Cedric, I don't think your question at all is a bad one. In fact, its questions like this that make or break a team.

My point is that in Cincinnati, we've heard that vocabulary word used a lot for pitchers coming through here. I almost expect it.

I'm having a problem figuring out what is a project. Brian Lawrence is a name. So is Zach Day. Octavel Dotel is another one.

Cedric
11-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Any Adam Eaton takers?

Heath
11-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Any Adam Eaton takers?

Wasn't he looking for like $5Mill a year? I thought I saw that bouncing around here somewhere?

When is Matt Clement getting off the surgeons table?

Cedric
11-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Wasn't he looking for like $5Mill a year? I thought I saw that bouncing around here somewhere?

When is Matt Clement getting off the surgeons table?

Adam Eaton somehow will probably get 4/5 million. Scratch him off the list.

It's just a brilliant time to be a pitcher and be even half alive.

blumj
11-21-2006, 02:22 PM

When is Matt Clement getting off the surgeons table?He's probably more of a reclamation project for next year, not only for the extra recovery time, but because his contract will be up.

Patrick Bateman
11-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Adam Eaton somehow will probably get 4/5 million. Scratch him off the list.

It's just a brilliant time to be a pitcher and be even half alive.

I think someone will even go as high as 7-8M for Eaton.

Handofdeath
11-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Eric Gagne.

dunner13
11-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Scott Boras wants 10 mill a year for gagne. No way he will get it but if its starting that high you know we have no shot at him. I think a trade for matt clement could be a good idea. Boston would probably about give him away, although after the arroyo trade they may not want to deal us another pitcher.

Cedric
11-21-2006, 02:56 PM
I hope like hell the Reds stay away from Matt Clement. He's always been completely over hyped IMO.

Gamble
11-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I would take a flyer on Wade Miller, only got 21 innings worth a work in with the Cubs last season.

terminator
11-21-2006, 03:13 PM
I've always liked Randy Wolf and given his health the last two years I think he qualifies as a reclamation project. Probably not a dirt-cheap one though.

Maybe Reitsma for the pen?

Redus
11-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Foulke or Dotel

Falls City Beer
11-21-2006, 03:40 PM
I've always liked Randy Wolf and given his health the last two years I think he qualifies as a reclamation project. Probably not a dirt-cheap one though.

Maybe Reitsma for the pen?

I'd go after Wolf, too. Screw the money--they're wealthy enough to throw $3 million down the toilet; they have enough to get Wolf.

KoryMac5
11-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Mulder would be a guy I would go after with an incentive laden contract and Bob C was in St. Louis during Mulder's time their. Maybe they can get a connection going.

Hoosier Red
11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Reclamation projects aren't bad. It's when you expect them to be #1 pitchers(Joey Hamilton opening up the Reds season, in place of Paul Wilson who was also a reclamation project) or expect them to repeat success(Harnisch, Schourek, Parris.)

I'm all for throwing stuff against the wall for the 5th starter. But if it works don't assume they'll continue to be great. Let someone else sign their best season.

Chip R
11-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I would take a flyer on Wade Miller, only got 21 innings worth a work in with the Cubs last season.

Cubs have already re-signed him.

Team Clark
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I'd go after Wolf, too. Screw the money--they're wealthy enough to throw $3 million down the toilet; they have enough to get Wolf.

Not to mention he is due for a big season. Dump Milton and add Wolf. Wouldn't surprise me to see Wolf win 15 games.

nmculbreth
11-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Octavio Dotel would be at the top of my list. Also I wouldn't mind giving Mulder a shot if I could sign him to a one or two year, incentive laden deal.

Willy
11-21-2006, 07:40 PM
The guy I would like to see them go after is Zach Day. He is a 28 year old Cincinnati kid that would not take a whole lot to sign.

Look at some of these numbers:
-696 career ground ball outs compared to 310 flyball outs. a 2.25 ratio WOW!!

-He had two stints in Colorado where his ERA was over 6 both cases, he still holds a career ERA of 4.33

- He has less than 400 innings logged in the big leagues.

In the right situation(Good pitching coach, solid defense) this guy cound be a ground ball machine and a very solid #4 or 5 starter.

VI_RedsFan
11-21-2006, 08:00 PM
I would like to see us dump Milton to a team like the Dodgers or Padres and sign Wolf and Armas/Ohka. That would help bolster the rotation.

Falls City Beer
11-21-2006, 08:02 PM
I would like to see us dump Milton to a team like the Dodgers or Padres and sign Wolf and Armas/Ohka. That would help bolster the rotation.

Sounds like a great plan. And very attainable. So we don't have to endure the longsuffering stories of luring pitchers away from their surfboards. Though I'd stick with Ohka and ignore Armas.

RedsBaron
11-21-2006, 08:11 PM

I agree.

mth123
11-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Wolf and Pat Burrell

Redsfan08
11-21-2006, 08:58 PM
danys baez

Redus
11-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Sid Finch

Tigs
11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Gagne and Bonds :laugh:

Mario-Rijo
11-21-2006, 10:37 PM
How about Dustin Hermanson? If his back (I think that is his ailment) shows to have some degree of sturdiness after being gone all last season then he has the stuff and the fearlessness to be our closer.

Will M
11-21-2006, 10:43 PM
for the Reds to make the playoffs in 2007 we need more than Arroyo, Harang and 3 question marks.

we need a real #3 starter then if we get that we can 'take a flyer' on a reclamation project.

15fan
11-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Jennie Finch.

;)

bucksfan
11-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Reclamation projects aren't bad. It's when you expect them to be #1 pitchers(Joey Hamilton opening up the Reds season, in place of Paul Wilson who was also a reclamation project) or expect them to repeat success(Harnisch, Schourek, Parris.)

I'm all for throwing stuff against the wall for the 5th starter. But if it works don't assume they'll continue to be great. Let someone else sign their best season.

Agreed. I was trying to forget the whole Joey Hamilton thing though...

I am curious about Brian Lawrence also.

RedsManRick
11-22-2006, 02:10 PM

Solid post. Pay guys for the year they're going to have, not the year they just had. Ask the Cubs how Glendon Rusch is working for them after they reupped him for 2005-07.

savafan
11-22-2006, 02:16 PM
I wonder what Dave Dravecky would make in this market?