PDA

View Full Version : Question about an interesting scenario

Patpacillosjock
11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
As reported, I just got word that Gary Matthews JR's deal is finalized (depending on physical) for 5 years 55 million..11 per year..

okay so he had a career year..he's 32 years old and many say that outside of last year's "breakout" he's essentially a 4th outfielder.

ok lets say the next 3 years his production gradually goes down and by the age 35 he is a 4th outfielder and pinch hitter off the bench.

lets say he and the Angels both want him to be traded.
Say he wants to go to another team closer to his family or home (or some decent reason) or for a starting position.
Say that team wants him but doesnt think he deserves 11 per year.
Can GMJ and his agent restructure the contract so that instead of 2 years and 22 million left, he can say, hey sign me for 4 years and 5 mill per year
Essentially adding 2 years to his contract but no more money.

would the MLBPA allow that? Even IF Matthews and his agent agree to it?

joshnky
11-22-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't think so. I believe ARod tried to do that to get traded from TX to Boston but the players union wouldn't allow it because of the precedent it set. They don't want to establish a pattern of players negotiating their contract down. So, Boston decided they couldn't afford him and NY did and the rest is history.

Redsland
11-22-2006, 01:53 PM
The MLBPA will not allow its members to renegotiate their contracts in such a way as to diminish their net present value. Therefore, they'd reject your hypothetical proposal.

westofyou
11-22-2006, 02:53 PM
The MLBPA will not allow its members to renegotiate their contracts in such a way as to diminish their net present value. Therefore, they'd reject your hypothetical proposal.

Ok.... but can WMP be sent to the minors to work on his game?

Redsland
11-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Why didn't anyone else think of that!

:)