PDA

View Full Version : Rehashing Trading Griffey Options

thatcoolguy_22
11-24-2006, 03:20 PM
What would be the probability that he could be moved from center field and onto another team this offseason?

I think that he would be a great fit in Chicago White Sox would be a great trading partner. They are already attempting to push Podsednik, Buerhle, Garcia and, Contreras. They have a lot of depth in prospect type pitching and they are also trying to obtain another bat.

Think of this outfield Podsednik in center Freel in right and Dunn in left. Pods and Freel could combine for 100+ stolen bases and Dunn's RBI numbers would be insane

or

This rotation

1 Harang 2 Arroyo 3 Buerhle (Garcia or Contreras) 4 Milton 5 Bailey

I love both scenarios

Just a thought

mth123
11-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Griffey for one of the starters would be good. No interest in Podsednik. He'd be worse in CF than Griffey, can't hit and his SB's aren't really worth much IMO.

Patpacillosjock
11-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Griffey for one of the starters would be good. No interest in Podsednik. He'd be worse in CF than Griffey, can't hit and his SB's aren't really worth much IMO.

I disagree. Speed is a lost art in today's baseball. I grew up in the days of Ricky Henderson and Vince Coleman stealing anywhere from 80-100+ bases a year. We use to hvae about 10-15 guys every year in the majors swiping 35+ bases a season. I guess the "power surge" all but abolished that.

Anyways, a SB threat does a few things for a team:

A) a BB or single can automatically put the player on 2nd base which in turn, destroys the possiblity of a double play and also putting the runner in scoring position.

B) SS/2b usually cheat a few steps towards the bag in case of a throw from behind the plate. That leave a few feet gap on each side for a ball to get through. Which sometimes is the difference between a double play or single.

C) 1b has to play closer to the bag to keep the runner on--thus leaving another small gap between him and the 2b..thus another few inches for a chance for a ball to get thru for a basehit

D) Pitcher's concentration. A pitcher who has to worry about a baserunner, mentally CAN get distracted and make a mistake to the batter. Whether it be wildness (ending up walking the batter) or not hitting his spots and giving up a basehit.

I woudl love to have a legitimate .300 hitter, .400 OBP, 50+ SB threat, at the top of the lineup...our scoring would increase dramatically.

thatcoolguy_22
11-24-2006, 04:26 PM
I disagree. Speed is a lost art in today's baseball. I grew up in the days of Ricky Henderson and Vince Coleman stealing anywhere from 80-100+ bases a year. We use to hvae about 10-15 guys every year in the majors swiping 35+ bases a season. I guess the "power surge" all but abolished that.

A) a BB or single can automatically put the player on 2nd base which in turn, destroys the possiblity of a double play and also putting the runner in scoring position.

B) SS/2b usually cheat a few steps towards the bag in case of a throw from behind the plate. That leave a few feet gap on each side for a ball to get through. Which sometimes is the difference between a double play or single.

C) 1b has to play closer to the bag to keep the runner on--thus leaving another small gap between him and the 2b..thus another few inches for a chance for a ball to get thru for a basehit

D) Pitcher's concentration. A pitcher who has to worry about a baserunner, mentally CAN get distracted and make a mistake to the batter. Whether it be wildness (ending up walking the batter) or not hitting his spots and giving up a basehit.

I woudl love to have a legitimate .300 hitter, .400 OBP, 50+ SB threat, at the top of the lineup...our scoring would increase dramatically.

Written better than myself but I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!

RedsManRick
11-24-2006, 04:33 PM

I'd love that too. Unfortunately Scotty Pods is a .270 hitter, .340 OBP, 50+ SB threat and only belongs at the top of a lineup in his very best year(s).

Krusty
11-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Better destinations for Griffey would be the Tigers and Twins. Would Griffey accept a deal? Given that both teams train in Florida and are playoff contenders, that would help. But if you're the Reds, without Junior in the lineup Dunn is like melted butter as a hitter, and you would need to get a hitter in return.

RFS62
11-24-2006, 05:49 PM
10 - 5

KoryMac5
11-24-2006, 06:21 PM
10 - 5

Well said, Griffey is untradeable. If he would even think about accepting a trade the Reds would have to eat a ton of contract just to move him. Only hope is that his ring finger gets lonely and we can move him at the deadline this upcoming year.

jmac
11-25-2006, 08:54 AM
I think that he would be a great fit in Chicago White Sox would be a great trading partner. They are already attempting to push Buerhle

i was listening to espn radio 1000 the other night and the hosts were pushing trading him.their comment was "we know he is going to end up in st louis anyway".
not sayin jr would get him, just sayin.

StillFunkyB
11-25-2006, 09:41 AM
10 - 5

RFS, this should be the banner at the top of RedsZone.

mth123
11-25-2006, 10:57 AM

Podsednik stole 40 bases, was caught 19 times and picked-off 11 more. When a guy already struggles to get on base he doesn't need to make 30 more outs on the bases.

Some base stealers have the value you mention, Ichiro is an example. Podsednik, not so much.