PDA

View Full Version : Does This Seem Logical?

Krusty
11-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Would the Reds be better off going with a platoon of Craig Wilson and either David Delucci or Trot Nixon in RF?

Against righthanded pitching, the Reds could use Hatteberg at lst and say Delucci in RF. Against lefthanded pitching, the Reds could use Wilson at lst base and Freel in RF.

Seems like affordable signings that would allow the Reds to make additional moves to add a starter and possibly a closer. And I think the Reds would get better offensive production with B-type free agent signings of Craig Wilson, Delucci or Nixon.

Opinion?

Will M
11-24-2006, 05:41 PM
your scenario leaves Jr in CF. Yuck.

Krusty
11-24-2006, 05:53 PM
your scenario leaves Jr in CF. Yuck.

Do you really expect Junior to play more than 100 games at this stage of his career? You have Denorifa to be his number 1 caddy. If the Reds are winning big or losing big, expect Junior to get yanked and Denorfia inserted in CF. The Reds will try to save Junior's legs as much as possible.

Will M
11-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Dunn in LF

Denorfia in CF

Griffey in RF for 100-120 games ( vs righties )

Freel in RF for 40-60 games. Fills in at LF, CF, 2B & 3B so that he starts 4-5 games a week.

Craig Wilson/Hatteberg at 1B ( until Votto arrives )

Z-Fly
11-24-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I feel like there is a boat anchor attached to the the reds with Griffey and Dun in the outfield. I love the home run as much as the next guy, but I wish it was in the cards to move Dunn to first.

Oh well, maybe I am just wanting change for the sake of change.

wheels
11-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm really impressed by the fact we all seem to be in agreement that Craig Wilson is an obvious fit for next year's club.

The guy needs at least 400 ab's on a club that appreciates him.

C'mon Wayne, press the button.

Spitball
11-24-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm really impressed by the fact we all seem to be in agreement that Craig Wilson is an obvious fit for next year's club.

The guy needs at least 400 ab's on a club that appreciates him.

C'mon Wayne, press the button.

I agree Wilson would be a nice fit. However, I expect there will be plenty of demand for Wilson, and he would be wise to choose a team that can promise him a full-time position. Signing him won't be all that easy. Also, Krivsky likes players who are good defenders.

RedLegSuperStar
11-24-2006, 08:34 PM
If you can add Craig Wilson and Tot Nixon to this club I will move back to Cincinnati. I think the Reds are stronger offensivly and adds significant depth to the bench. Then if we could sign another starter.. I think we would definatly be able to keep pace with the Cubs.. Stros.. and Cards. I guess that would all depend on if Dunn is still in the fold for 07. As for a closer I think we could go with an in house guy weather it be Coffey.. Stanton.. Bray.. or prospect or even a combination of all.

cincy09
11-24-2006, 08:36 PM
I've never seen this group agree on something so much as they do the signing of Craig Wilson.......Well minus the hatred for Dano and Milty!

fewfirstchoice
11-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Heres what I do:

First trade Dunn,Cormier,and Freel to Baltimore

for

Cabrera,Makakias,(spelling on the first 2)and a young prospect.

Then sign Delucci,Wilson,Wolfe,and Baez.Should be able to sign these guys for around 20-22 million.

OF would be JR. in right,Makakas in C,and Delucci in left.
Wilson and Hatte can platoon as 1B at Wilson can also play some OF.

Cabrera #3 starter and Wolfe #4 starter with Milton bringing up the rear.

Put Shackleford in Cormier BP postion and sign Baez to close.

I feel this team would have a very nice shot at the playoffs.Nice defense decent offense and a solid rotation and BP.Looks good to me.

Willy
11-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I agree Wilson would be a nice fit. However, I expect there will be plenty of demand for Wilson, and he would be wise to choose a team that can promise him a full-time position. Signing him won't be all that easy. Also, Krivsky likes players who are good defenders.

Great point.

Krivsky would really have to do a hard sell that he could get Wilson enough AB's before he would come to Cincy.

Ron Madden
11-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Signing Wilson would be Great.

I hope WK can get him to agree to a deal.. and hope JN has enough sense to use him correctly.

He'd get plenty of PT at 1B and OF.

Tom Servo
11-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I remember Wilson being rumored as a target for us at the trade deadline, so I think there's reason to believe the Front Office has interest and we could land him.

captainmorgan07
11-24-2006, 10:43 PM
i agree also craig wilson is good bat living close to pittsburgh i've seen enough of him to know he was under used by buco's when given oppurtunies he'd produce but they never gave him a spot always in there for injured player

Far East
11-24-2006, 11:53 PM
After 4 1/2 seasons, a Wilson 162 game season projects to:

OBP SLG OPS
.354 .480 .834,

compared to the 2006 Reds' team averages of:

OBP SLG OPS
.336 .432 .768.

BigRed
11-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Has anyone else thought of moving Edwin to 1st base and going after a better defensive 3b? I like Edwin's bat and we wouldn't have to worry about his erratic throwing arm at first. Not exactly sure what 3b are available, but might be worth a look.

Ron Madden
11-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Has anyone else thought of moving Edwin to 1st base and going after a better defensive 3b? I like Edwin's bat and we wouldn't have to worry about his erratic throwing arm at first. Not exactly sure what 3b are available, but might be worth a look.

Edwin should be given every chance to improve. I hope they leave him at 3B long enough ro prove himself.

Jpup
11-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Great point.

Krivsky would really have to do a hard sell that he could get Wilson enough AB's before he would come to Cincy.

I don't see any reason that the Reds couldn't play Wilson everyday, but I really don't see the need for him. I know that most you want Craig Wilson on the team and I'm fine with that, but unless the Reds move Jr. or Freel, I don't see a spot for him to get enough ABs. I think they should concentrate on the rotation.

Patpacillosjock
11-25-2006, 02:08 AM
I don't see any reason that the Reds couldn't play Wilson everyday, but I really don't see the need for him. I know that most you want Craig Wilson on the team and I'm fine with that, but unless the Reds move Jr. or Freel, I don't see a spot for him to get enough ABs. I think they should concentrate on the rotation.

agreed. we need another solid starter.. I mean after Bronson and Aaron, who is left? i mean the drop-off is SIGNIFICANT. we need a solid #2 starter. Yes I said #2..which could translate into an American League #3 which is what Arroyo basically is on his best days. (remember, Arryo was a #5/ middle reliever for the REd Sox before coming here)

Sign ONE huge arm, and sign ONE HUGE bat.

thats all we need. why waste money on 4-5 average players? spend big dough on 2 IMPACT players (1 pitcher, one slugger) and we should be in the hunt.

mth123
11-25-2006, 02:41 AM

He'd be a huge upgrade from Hat and would give the team the power its missing.

Krusty
11-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Wilson would get enough at bats shuffling between RF and lst base.

Krusty
11-25-2006, 08:36 AM
On another note, would you give RHP Adam Eaton a three year deal worth at least 21 million given what Woody Williams got from the Astros?

Far East
11-25-2006, 08:40 AM

Aaron Boone??

At 33, he's not the Aaron Boone from 2003; he's been sub-par ever since the 2004 injury. But he might come cheap and he might want to come "home."

RedsManRick
11-25-2006, 08:49 AM
You already have Castro to back-up 3B and we only have 4 OF on the roster, unless you count Norris Hopper. As it stands right now, we have virtually no power on the bench. A guy like Jeff Cirilo would be a good fit as he could play 1B/3B vs. lefties, but I'd rather Wilson as he could be a back up OF as well and has more pop.

fewfirstchoice
11-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Theres not many 3 baggers out there with the range or soft hands that EE has.I mean if EE can get to it(and theres not much he cant get to)he will field the ball.I say give him another year or so to grow into a major leaguer.Im willing to bet he starts getting his throws to first more often.

Highlifeman21
11-25-2006, 11:06 AM
On another note, would you give RHP Adam Eaton a three year deal worth at least 21 million given what Woody Williams got from the Astros?

Definitely not.

Eaton's arguably the same, if not worse than Milton. Let's not give him a lil bit less than Milton money to stink up the joint.

If Eaton wants to accept something in the 3M range, maybe as a 4th or 5th starter, but he's not a #3 and shouldn't be paid as a #3.

Spitball
11-25-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't see any reason that the Reds couldn't play Wilson everyday, but I really don't see the need for him. I know that most you want Craig Wilson on the team and I'm fine with that, but unless the Reds move Jr. or Freel, I don't see a spot for him to get enough ABs.

I agree. There will be large market teams (San Fransisco, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York) with full-time openings in the outfield/firstbase making offers to potential candidates. Wilson won't sign a reasonable contract to play for a team with little more than right handed platoon opportunities promised.

I think they should concentrate on the rotation.

Again, I agree. There will be always be players to fill a corner positions, but pitching is another matter.