PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Zaun???

edabbs44
11-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Oh my Lord...how many "knows how to play the game" quotes can WK and Jerry fit into one press conference? From rotoworld.com:

With Rod Barajas expected to take over as Toronto's catcher, free agent Gregg Zaun could join the Red Sox or Yankees as a No. 2 catcher.

The Reds also have some interest in him, even though they just shipped off Jason LaRue. Zaun turned down about $6 million over two years to remain with the Jays.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061124.wspt-jays-24/GSStory/GlobeSportsBaseball/home

BigRed
11-25-2006, 12:05 AM
I hope not.

Tigs
11-25-2006, 12:35 AM
how good of a fielder is Zaun?

edabbs44
11-25-2006, 12:55 AM
how good of a fielder is Zaun?

Makes no difference. This would put WK on double secret probation, in my book.

If Zaun turned down $3 mil per from Toronto, then what would Cincy need to offer? It would be Wayne's biggest disaster to date.

Patpacillosjock
11-25-2006, 02:00 AM
i would LOVE to hear the WK defenders on this board if we signed zaun for over 2 years 6 mil+

TOBTTReds
11-25-2006, 02:56 AM
I'm not one to brag on this board, but I did post a while ago:

I've heard the name Gregg Zaun thrown around the grapevine. No link or source that I can speak of, but I've heard it. Take it for what it is worth, bc I heard it from someone close to Zaun.

Raisor
11-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Greg Zaun gives a really kicking movie review.

Hubba
11-25-2006, 09:22 AM
i would LOVE to hear the WK defenders on this board if we signed zaun for over 2 years 6 mil+ So if it dosen't happen what are you going to say?:D

Degenerate39
11-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Do we really need Gregg Zaun? What does he have to offer us? Nothing. When will Waye realize we only need 2 catchers

IamWallaman
11-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Nothing wrong with looking. Especially if a deal involving either Ross or the LLM is in the works.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Nothing wrong with looking. Especially if a deal involving either Ross or the LLM is in the works.

This is my hope. I want to dump Ross's career year posthaste.

smith288
11-25-2006, 10:09 AM
I have met that dude and he is a grade A pr!ck. Pardon my french. He is just an ahole and I couldnt stand him. Total hot head headcase.

Falls City Beer
11-25-2006, 10:19 AM
I have met that dude and he is a grade A pr!ck. Pardon my french. He is just an ahole and I couldnt stand him. Total hot head headcase.

I've heard this too. Then I ask myself, why pay Zaun 3 mill when you had Larue, who you could trade at the deadline?

And cash in on Ross's career year around the time of spring training when teams are desperate for catchers/spare parts.

Oh well. That's all blood under the bridge.

RollyInRaleigh
11-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Isn't Zaun Rick Demsey's nephew or something? I don't really see the need for Greg Zaun unless there is a Ross trade brewing.

MartyFan
11-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Do we really need Gregg Zaun? What does he have to offer us? Nothing. When will Waye realize we only need 2 catchers

What if Special K moves another one of our catchers?

I'd be interested in hearing from TC and others "In The Know" about how he calls a game and what other teams think of his skills as a receiver.

Catchers who call a better game make pitchers better? Or no?

RollyInRaleigh
11-25-2006, 10:32 AM
I think Zaun is a pretty good receiver. I thought Ross did a pretty good job in that area last season as well. As far as calling a game, I think a lot of that comes from the dugout now days and is a bit overrated.

It's great if the catcher and pitcher are on the same page, but from where I sit, pitchers should be calling their own game, anyway.

VI_RedsFan
11-25-2006, 10:40 AM
I would like to see us sign Zaun if we, say, send Ross over to Philly for Jon Lieber. I'm not sold on Ross, and getting someone like Lieber would boost the rotation.

If we can then sign Craig Wilson, Baez, Wolf, and maybe Dellucci, I would be a happy camper.

MartyFan
11-25-2006, 11:05 AM
I think Zaun is a pretty good receiver. I thought Ross did a pretty good job in that area last season as well. As far as calling a game, I think a lot of that comes from the dugout now days and is a bit overrated.

It's great if the catcher and pitcher are on the same page, but from where I sit, pitchers should be calling their own game, anyway.

I am not certain I agree with that...I think as long as Harang calls his own game he will be a very good pitcher...if he has an outstanding receive calling the game I think he could be a 20 game winner.

After his first time through the rotation he gets more predictable...watch how much stuff he waves off in the 4th-7th innings...when he went beyond 6 innings in a game last year he was locked in and he was throwing what the catcher was calling.

RollyInRaleigh
11-25-2006, 11:18 AM
As I said, I think it is a great thing if your pitcher and catcher are on the same page. It definitely helps out, but just because the catcher puts it down, doesn't mean you have to throw it. Really good pitchers will call their own games for the most part. They should know what they have and how they want to go about using it. Great receivers can get inside that mind-set and make it much easier, I agree.

And another way of looking at it is that on those nights when a pitcher has great stuff, it can make the catcher look like a genius. In my opinion, it's those other nights that the battery relationship can play a much bigger part.

LINEDRIVER
11-25-2006, 11:33 AM

Seems that I've read and heard TeamClark bang on Zaun at every opportunity for the past few years.

I just phoned TC to let him know that a Zaun thread is appearing on RedsZone.

I did locate this 'Zaun' gem that Team Clark posted on RedsZone on 3/31/06.

He and Brad Ausmus had it out in Detroit and Zaun was eventually traded. Zaun was going to the pitchers to campaign for playing time. The pitchers were very uncomfortable with the situation. You could see the strain on these guys when throwing bullpen sessions or even before games. Zaun would jump from one locker to the next asking these guys to go to Phil garner to tell him they wanted him behind the plate. Of course word got back to Ausmus and Zaun denied everything. Randy Smith was the GM at the time. I remember hearing him go nuts on Zaun in the managers office. You could hear him through the door. When Zaun was traded he left a note above Ausmus' locker that read something to the effect of "I thought this clubhouse was big enough for both of us". A couple of beat writers wrote the entire note down word for word and printed it. If memory serves correct it was Todd Jones and C.J. Nitkowski that went to Ausmus and eventually Phil Garner.

I haven't seen this fact appear on this thread thus far. Zaun will turn 36 in April, 2007.

RFS62
11-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Best case scenario would be the pitcher and catcher following a predetermined game plan with every hitter.

It takes a lot of pressure off the pitcher when he's in sync with the catcher or bench coach on pitch selection. But ultimately, it's the pitcher who has to have confidence in the pitch.

You also get a pretty wide variance in baseball IQ among both pitchers and catchers. It could be from lack of experience. It also could be from lack of preparation or even shortcomings in their mental game.

I don't think you can make blanket statements. Each battery has it's own mixture of all these factors.

Raisor
11-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Haven't the Reds' managers been calling the games from the dugout for years now?

Kc61
11-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Wouldn't be shocked if Zaun was signed to be platoon first baseman. Guy kills lefty pitching.

Team Clark
11-25-2006, 12:28 PM

That about sums it up. If Reds fans had a problem with Aurilia's attitude in the past wait 'til they get a load of Zaun.

VI_RedsFan
11-25-2006, 01:05 PM
That about sums it up. If Reds fans had a problem with Aurilia's attitude in the past wait 'til they get a load of Zaun.

I have now lost all interest in Zaun. His attitude and his age (I didn't even realize how old he was) did it for me. You can color me very unimpressed if we pay this guy big $$$. I doubt it though, I think he is headed to the BoSox or the Yanks.

mth123
11-25-2006, 06:27 PM
With Johnny Estrada traded today, maybe signing Zaun would be a good idea. Philly needs a catcher and Estrada was the main target. David Ross to Philly if the reds sign Zaun? Pat Burrell anyone?

Patpacillosjock
11-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Seems that I've read and heard TeamClark bang on Zaun at every opportunity for the past few years.

I just phoned TC to let him know that a Zaun thread is appearing on RedsZone.

I did locate this 'Zaun' gem that Team Clark posted on RedsZone on 3/31/06.

He and Brad Ausmus had it out in Detroit and Zaun was eventually traded. Zaun was going to the pitchers to campaign for playing time. The pitchers were very uncomfortable with the situation. You could see the strain on these guys when throwing bullpen sessions or even before games. Zaun would jump from one locker to the next asking these guys to go to Phil garner to tell him they wanted him behind the plate. Of course word got back to Ausmus and Zaun denied everything. Randy Smith was the GM at the time. I remember hearing him go nuts on Zaun in the managers office. You could hear him through the door. When Zaun was traded he left a note above Ausmus' locker that read something to the effect of "I thought this clubhouse was big enough for both of us". A couple of beat writers wrote the entire note down word for word and printed it. If memory serves correct it was Todd Jones and C.J. Nitkowski that went to Ausmus and eventually Phil Garner.

I haven't seen this fact appear on this thread thus far. Zaun will turn 36 in April, 2007.

uggh..not to be a smart ass but when did Zaun play in Detroit???

Tom Servo
11-25-2006, 06:37 PM
uggh..not to be a smart ass but when did Zaun play in Detroit???
From baseballreference.com:

November 2, 1999: Traded by the Texas Rangers with Juan Gonzalez and Danny Patterson to the Detroit Tigers for Frank Catalanotto, Francisco Cordero, Bill Haselman, Gabe Kapler, Justin Thompson, and Alan Webb (minors).

March 7, 2000: Sent to the Kansas City Royals by the Detroit Tigers as part of a conditional deal.

Patpacillosjock
11-25-2006, 10:59 PM

November 2, 1999: Traded by the Texas Rangers with Juan Gonzalez and Danny Patterson to the Detroit Tigers for Frank Catalanotto, Francisco Cordero, Bill Haselman, Gabe Kapler, Justin Thompson, and Alan Webb (minors).

March 7, 2000: Sent to the Kansas City Royals by the Detroit Tigers as part of a conditional deal.

if you're included in a trade with names like Juan Gonzalez and Bill Hasselman..you've GOT to be old

lol

btw thanks..i was wondering when he played cuz i didnt see it on his career stats

Mario-Rijo
11-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Kc61
Wouldn't be shocked if Zaun was signed to be platoon first baseman. Guy kills lefty pitching.

I read a blurb on him the other day that stated something to the effect of he had an offer from Toronto but it wasn't good enough and that a couple of other teams had made better overall offers including 1 team who actually asked him to play 1st Base "once or twice a week" in addition to his catching duties. I assumed then that it could be us but I don't remember if I posted it or not. Now it sounds more likely.

With the market the way it is on catchers, it appears that Krivsky may have someone on the hook for Ross. Otherwise he's not worth signing, he has a lot of similar #'s as does Ross w/o the power, he is a switch hitter. The absolute only way he is worth signing is if we have a nice deal in place for Ross.

Shaknb8k
11-25-2006, 11:03 PM
I read a blurb on him the other day that stated something to the effect of he had an offer from Toronto but it wasn't good enough and that a couple of other teams had made better overall offers including 1 team who actually asked him to play 1st Base "once or twice a week" in addition to his catching duties. I assumed then that it could be us but I don't remember if I posted it or not. Now it sounds more likely.

With the market the way it is on catchers, it appears that Krivsky may have someone on the hook for Ross. Otherwise he's not worth signing, he has a lot of similar #'s as does Ross w/o the power, he is a switch hitter. The absolute only way he is worth signing is if we have a nice deal in place for Ross.

Ill second that. If we sign him to split time with Hatteberg only then i have big problems. If we sign him because we have a deal for Ross then i will be very happy.

edabbs44
11-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Ill second that. If we sign him to split time with Hatteberg only then i have big problems. If we sign him because we have a deal for Ross then i will be very happy.

I'm down with that. Way too much money for a platoon 1st baseman. But the only issue is that if he plays 1st against LHPs and Ross is dealt, that leaves Javy vs LHPs at catcher. He is BRUTAL vs lefties. I'd need to see another 1st baseman signed (i.e. Eduardo Perez) for cheap.

Mario-Rijo
11-25-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm down with that. Way too much money for a platoon 1st baseman. But the only issue is that if he plays 1st against LHPs and Ross is dealt, that leaves Javy vs LHPs at catcher. He is BRUTAL vs lefties. I'd need to see another 1st baseman signed (i.e. Eduardo Perez) for cheap.

I wonder if it's Javy who is the one on the way out? This would mean that Ross would be the backup and Catch vs. Lefties! Hmmm, interesting development.

Trading Javy would make some sense with his LH power bat at the position I could see a few teams make a decent offer for him.

alloverjr
11-25-2006, 11:52 PM

Doesn't seem like there would be a lot of games going on in that stretch of time, eh?

Mario-Rijo
11-26-2006, 12:10 AM
MLB.com is reporting that the Blue Jays are close to signing Rod Barajas. Granted they still need another Catcher which might be Zaun, they did go with both Molina and Zaun last season. But I think that it's significant and that the Jays would likely go another route with there back-up position seeing as how they spent so much on Frank Thomas. My guess is you might want to pay your backup less than what Barajas got if you can pull it off.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061124&content_id=1745869&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

11/24/2006 10:09 PM ET
Report: Jays close to deal with Barajas
Free-agent catcher could be introduced as early as Tuesday
By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com

The Blue Jays are reportedly closing in on a two-year deal with free-agent catcher Rod Barajas. According to the Toronto Globe and Mail, the contract could be worth between $5.5 million and $6 million, and the deal could be announced as early as Tuesday.
Also on Tuesday, the Blue Jays will hold a press conference at the Rogers Centre in Toronto to officially introduce Frank Thomas as their new designated hitter. On Nov. 17, Toronto inked Thomas to a two-year contract worth $18 million with a vesting option for 2009.

Last year, Gregg Zaun and Bengie Molina shared the catching duties for the Jays and both became free agents this offseason. Toronto has shown interest in re-signing Zaun, but he reportedly turned down a two-year, $6 million deal to come back for a fourth season with the Jays. Toronto has targeted Barajas as another potential solution.

"We've talked to Barajas' people," Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said on Nov. 17. "We're trying right now to solidify our catching situation. I'd like to have that done before we get to the Winter Meetings [on Dec. 4]. We probably have a self-imposed deadline on that."

Barajas, 31, hit .256 with 11 home runs and 41 RBIs in 97 games for Texas last season. In 2005, he set career highs with 21 homers and 60 RBIs in 120 games for the Rangers.

fewfirstchoice
11-26-2006, 12:16 AM
If the Reds trade Ross,I would target Molina for my catcher not Zaun.I would like to see a Ross for Burrell trade very much,if the phillies take a big chunk of his owed money.

Mario-Rijo
11-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Here's that blurb I was talking about. It was from Friday 11/24/06.

Blue Jays might have a little wiggle room left in their ongoing negotiations with free-agent catcher Gregg Zaun. Zaun, confirming only the Royals, says three teams have contacted him about being their everyday receiver, with one even asking if he could manage a game or two a week at first base. -- Toronto Star

fewfirstchoice
11-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Wonder who that was Wayne,asking about playing the first sack.

BEETTLEBUG
11-26-2006, 07:16 AM
I will second that if they could trade Ross to phillies for Burrell I would go after B. Molina over Zaun.

Mario-Rijo
11-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Molina made over 7 million last year, and likely wants a multi-year deal. He is a very good hitter but perhaps the worst baserunner of ALL-TIME! And he was criticized in Toronto last season for his defense. I say no thanks, unless he is willing to take considerably less than that. I might give him 4-4.5 mill (considering this market) but no more and I would not give him more than 2 years.