PDA

View Full Version : How to Make Money in College?

bthomasiscool
11-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Just looking for any random help. I'm trying to find a way to make money while at college. I know you all are thinking, get a job. (I get that a lot from my parents), but I'm taking 24 credit hours and need to find a way to make my next few school bill payments. I tried the whole ebay thing, somewhat unsucessfully though. Is there any legitimate online jobs out their, or any other idea anybody can think of. Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks guys!

LawFive
11-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Sports official.

I've refereed soccer at one level or another since I was 12. Once I graduated HS, I obtained my High School license. I was able to earn enough in the fall soccer seasons to pay cash for each spring semester's tuition.

A buddy of mine does youth rec basketball on the weekends. Makes $20 a game for elementary-aged kids. Figuring 5-6 games each on Saturday and Sunday, that's quite a bit of dough. And, it's all cash...tax free.

Highlifeman21
11-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Write papers for athletes.

RollyInRaleigh
11-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Bookie.;)

Dom Heffner
11-25-2006, 10:09 AM
There are also magazine scanning routes that pay well.

You go around and scan bar codes of magazines in grocery tores to make sure the current editions are on the racks. Most of the time you just stop in at you leisure and make copies of all the magazines and then scan them at home.

My friend makes $800 a month doing this part-time.

Chip R
11-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Stripper. ;)

bthomasiscool
11-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Write papers for athletes.

haha, unfortunately I am one of those athletes that need the papers written.

Reds4Life
11-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Take fewer classes and get a job working on campus.

Playadlc
11-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Online poker.

That's how I did it.

Ltlabner
11-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Take fewer classes and get a job working on campus.

Also, get a job durring summer, winter breaks, spring break, etc. Work as many hours as you can and sock away the cash. I did double shifts, over time, closed, picked up shifts, etc. On spring break (which is only 1 week) I'd work open to close 7 straight days. I was a cook in a resturant and since I worked hard, had 1/3 of a brain and had worked there since I was a sophmore in highschool they let me come and go as I please and would feed me all the hours I could stand. I made pretty decent money.

Then I didn't have to work as hard durring the school year.

Also, consider living on campus and being an RA/floor superviosor. That usually gives you free room and board which cuts down on expenses. It's not hard work at all, and at Wright State you got a much nicer room for being an RA.

jmcclain19
11-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Decide to *ahem* "donate" certain creatable fluids to certain repudible organizations which collect said fluids.

You won't be making money hand over fist with that plan - or wait, I take that back, you will be. But it'll help pay for a nice meal every now and then.

pedro
11-25-2006, 04:21 PM
sell plasma. this also cuts down on your drinking budget.

Blimpie
11-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Paint apartments. Lots of turnover in apartment community of college towns. Students always trash the walls of places they reside. Some leasing agents/apartment owners will be painting an apartment somewhere each and every week.

Mow lawns. Work on your tan while you make beer money. Every once in awhile, you may even have to break out the weed eater. But for the most part, is it strictly riding mower work.

Razor Shines
11-25-2006, 04:48 PM

You're telling me they don't have jobs on campus for athletes? My job was to "watch" the weight room. There was a couch, a desk and a TV, so I laid on the couch and watched TV, studied or talked to girls. Occasionally I had to spot someone, but for the most part it was an easy job, and pretty much all other athletes had similar easy jobs.

Highlifeman21
11-25-2006, 05:33 PM

You'll have to check with your compliance officer to see what jobs are acceptable per the NCAA.

When I was at Syracuse on their crew team for a year, all employment had to be ok'd by our CO.

When I was at Ohio State for 1/2 a season of golf, I was told we weren't allowed to have jobs during the season.

Redsfaithful
11-26-2006, 04:38 AM
Stats, Inc. reporter:

http://www.stats.com/jobs/index.asp?page=rn

They pay $20 a game. Very easy to get into the program, not too hard to do. I think when I did it years ago I got 4-5 games a month (NBA - Cleveland Cavs). Not huge money but should help you out.

Redlegs23
11-26-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently helping a couple rich guys in Indian Hill do some yard work and stuff a couple times a week. Can pretty much come and go as I like. Try looking on www.craigslist.org. Most of the ads are garbage, but there's several events and such where help is needed.

Unassisted
11-27-2006, 09:32 AM
My nephew made money in college by selling off his brother's stuff on eBay after his brother left home to join the Army. I haven't heard about his brother's reaction to the missing stuff yet.

savafan
11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
My nephew made money in college by selling off his brother's stuff on eBay after his brother left home to join the Army. I haven't heard about his brother's reaction to the missing stuff yet.

Have you heard from your nephew? ;)

Roy Tucker
11-27-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd tell how I made money in college but I'm not sure the statute of limitations has run out yet so I shall refrain.

flyer85
11-27-2006, 04:00 PM
but don't try booking a stripper.

Redsfaithful
11-28-2006, 02:31 AM
but don't try booking a stripper.

This actually works. If you live in a dorm. I think I had 20 guys in a three person dorm room in Stradley Hall at Ohio State my freshman year.

goreds2
11-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I listen to a financial advice show (www.daveramsey.com).

On making extra money to help pay off debts etc, he almost always suggests delivering pizzas. Dave says you can make $1500 a month working four nights a week.

zombie-a-go-go
12-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Ponzi schemes.

Roy Tucker
12-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Sell Kirby vacuum cleaners.

Chip R
12-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I'd tell how I made money in college but I'm not sure the statute of limitations has run out yet so I shall refrain.

Roy Tucker: Male Prostitute

http://img.snlarc.jt.org/arc/epskit/79-03-17-4.jpg

SunDeck
12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Here's an idea. Get a 6 month old Yellow Lab puppy. Rent him out to frat houses. Nothing is a chick magnet like a lab puppy. I speak from experience.

bthomasiscool
12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Here's an idea. Get a 6 month old Yellow Lab puppy. Rent him out to frat houses. Nothing is a chick magnet like a lab puppy. I speak from experience.

haha