11-28-2006, 02:31 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061128/NEWS01/311280010

joy.

LoganBuck
11-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Greatest announcement ever.

redsfan30
11-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Thank God....at least she won't be moving up 71!!

remdog
11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
So, are there any University of Cincinnati fans happy about this?

Rem

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2006, 03:18 PM

Rem

Academia is jumping for joy, I'd imagine.

traderumor
11-28-2006, 03:30 PM

RemThe football program seems to be improving.

Matt700wlw
11-28-2006, 03:30 PM
The football program seems to be improving.

Dantonio leaving may hurt.

Chip R
11-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Looks like that rumor about her going to tOSU was just that.

traderumor
11-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Dantonio leaving may hurt.Ah, hadn't heard that. I guess you are talking about a rumor that he would be a strong candidate for the Michigan State job?

Cedric
11-28-2006, 03:42 PM
This is a one year extension, doesn't mean much in reality.

The BOT of course is gonna talk a big game and say how much they love her. They wouldn't dare admit to the massive problems with the athletic department and the overall perception of the University.

They pay their faculty very low and that's why they are very low in the US News and World report ranking.

Lucky for me I got a degree in one of their few reputable programs :)

She's also helped with Mike Thomas/Bob Goin in creating the female rowing team suing the University
A football coach that just left town and when he was here a winning team drawing like 15,000 a game.
And the worst basketball team in recent memory. The only thing Zimpher has changed is the perceptions of those people that are really ignorant to the situation and just like seeing someone like Huggins get put in his place.

15fan
11-28-2006, 03:43 PM
It's Nancy's reward for simply ridding the University of Bob Huggins.

:clap:

Matt700wlw
11-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Ah, hadn't heard that. I guess you are talking about a rumor that he would be a strong candidate for the Michigan State job?

They hired him yesterday.

Cedric
11-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Academia is jumping for joy, I'd imagine.

The only one's doing that are the one's that aren't attached to UC. The faculty does not like Nancy or the BOT at this point. She's running a sinking ship in a lot of ways.

The only thing she has going is her reputation as tough because of firing Bob Huggins. She's living on a perception that's not reality. As soon as people dig deeper they realize the truth.

ochre
11-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Does this mean Ohio State will have to buy her contract out to get her now?

paintmered
11-28-2006, 03:50 PM
The only one's doing that are the one's that aren't attached to UC. The faculty does not like Nancy or the BOT at this point. She's running a sinking ship in a lot of ways.

The only thing she has going is her reputation as tough because of firing Bob Huggins. She's living on a perception that's not reality. As soon as people dig deeper they realize the truth.

The deans absolutely hate her. Of course, she's replaced the majority of them with her cronies. Don't get me started on the new engineering dean.

UC is under a major budget shortfall right now. So the faculty is being underpaid and budgets are being slashed. It's not a good situation.

Cedric
11-28-2006, 03:53 PM
MAJOR shortfall. People don't understand the budget constraints on UC right now. It's not a good situation in any way.

The problem is that the cronies and the academia type just don't care. They are all about perception and not reality. Sounds just like most office or management types that we all deal with daily :)

Reality isn't something they deal with.

15fan
11-28-2006, 03:55 PM
The deans absolutely hate her. Of course, she's replaced the majority of them with her cronies. Don't get me started on the new engineering dean.

UC is under a major budget shortfall right now. So the faculty is being underpaid and budgets are being slashed. It's not a good situation.

I've spent some time around higher ed. None of what you've mentioned is unique to UC. Faculty never like anyone who tells them what to do, new presidents are always the catalyst for shuffling the top academic and administrative positions, and there's never enough money to go around.

paintmered
11-28-2006, 03:56 PM
I've spent some time around higher ed. None of what you've mentioned is unique to UC. Faculty never like anyone who tells them what to do, new presidents are always the catalyst for shuffling the top academic and administrative positions, and there's never enough money to go around.

That may be. But I don't remember there being serious budget issues while Steger was still in charge. It's not like tuition hasn't gone up 40% since then. Trust me, it has. :(

Cedric
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
That may be. But I don't remember there being serious budget issues while Steger was still in charge. It's not like tuition hasn't gone up 40% since then. Trust me, it has. :(

It's not just that she hired new people, she hired people that were totally and completely unqualified. She was one major mistake for this University.

Cedric
11-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Just found out that UC rowing team has been cut as a sport. Amazing.

The BOT decided that they could make more money with female lacrosse. They brought the girls in the week before finals and broke the news in a two minute meeting. The rowers were sobbing and breaking down and the best UC could do is offer a sports psychologist.

It's obviously just retaliation because the rowers sued the school. UC was given over 2 million dollars in donations for a boat house and they lost the money, it's gone. The budget crisis at UC is just insane. I live with a rower, gonna be a tough night here.

Redlegs23
11-28-2006, 05:41 PM
:obrien: > Zimpher

Cyclone792
11-28-2006, 05:43 PM

I'm glad I'm out of there and already graduated. You won't want to hear this, paint, but ...

During my frosh year in 2000-2001, the cost of in-state tuition was $1,779 quarter, or $5,337 per year for a typical student attending three quarters each year.

By the time I graduated in the spring of 2005, in-state tuition was up to nearly $2,793 per quarter, or $8,379 per year for a typical student attending three quarters each year. That's a jump of of 57 percent in less than five years.

I just looked at their cost of in-state tuition for this school year, and I found that it's $9,399 per year for three quarters. That's a 76 percent jump compared to what the in-state tuition was merely six years ago.

I'm not sure how UC's tuition increases have been relative to other schools around the country over the same time span, but on the face of it, those increases are a decent chunk of roll.

BEETTLEBUG
11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Bad move.

CougarQuest
11-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Nuck Fancy

paintmered
11-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Just found out that UC rowing team has been cut as a sport. Amazing.

The BOT decided that they could make more money with female lacrosse. They brought the girls in the week before finals and broke the news in a two minute meeting. The rowers were sobbing and breaking down and the best UC could do is offer a sports psychologist.

It's obviously just retaliation because the rowers sued the school. UC was given over 2 million dollars in donations for a boat house and they lost the money, it's gone. The budget crisis at UC is just insane. I live with a rower, gonna be a tough night here.

Wow. :angry:

Those poor girls. :(

Heath
11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
You wonder if the reason that tution is also expensive is because UC is try to recoup lost housing because of the rep of UC as a commuter school.

I went to Wright State for a while. We used to call it Wright High. Wrong College. I had a roommate who was from Muncie, IN. I asked him why he didn't want to go to Ball State. He said he didn't want to go to high school anymore. He left to come to the biggest HS in Dayton. Ironically, I almost went to Ball State.

I wonder if more and more kids in Cincy are looking at NKU? I've heard that their enrollment is way up.

Heath
11-28-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure how UC's tuition increases have been relative to other schools around the country over the same time span, but on the face of it, those increases are a decent chunk of roll.

From USA Today in August...

LARGEST IN-STATE TUITION & FEES INCREASES

2005-06 to 2006-07
School % chg.
Hawaii, Manoa 19.9
Illinois, Urbana-Champaign 14.5
Oklahoma, Norman 14.0
Kansas, Lawrence 13.7
Illinois State, Normal 13.6
Kansas State, Manhattan 12.8
Kentucky, Lexington 12.0
North Carolina State, Raleigh 10.1
Purdue, West Lafayette, Ind. 9.9
Texas, Austin 9.6

Tuition increases moderate
by Mary Specht, USA TODAY
A typical freshman headed for a public flagship university in his or her home state this fall will pay about $5,838 in tuition and fees, suggests USA TODAY's annual survey of 75 top schools in 50 states. The median increase among schools studied was 6.4%.

Although costs to families are still on the rise, in most places they have slowed from the double-digit increases of a few years ago.

USA TODAY has been tracking annual changes since 2003, when in-state charges shot up about 12% from the previous year.

Since then, the median increase for in-state tuition and fees was about 38%. In some states, the hikes were much higher: 95% at the University of Oklahoma-Norman, 85% at the University of Arizona-Tucson, and 80% at the University of California-Berkeley.

At schools in some states that have held down increases for the past few years, such as the University of Hawaii-Manoa, tuition and fees this year jumped about 20% for both in-state and out-of-state students, to $4,522 and $12,394, respectively. Even with the increases, it is still less expensive than three-fourths of flagships surveyed.

In previous years the state legislature "artificially maintained" lower tuition by giving Manoa more money; this year's hikes will help put prices closer to the national average, says Neal Smatresk, vice chancellor for academic affairs.

Across the USA, in-state tuition and fees this year range from a high of $12,164 a year at Penn State, the most expensive school surveyed for five years in a row, to $3,206 at the University of Florida-Gainesville with the lowest. The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor has the highest out-of-state tuition while the University of South Dakota-Vermillion has the lowest.

Public university tuition often hangs on the generosity of the state legislature, says Travis Reindl, director of state policy analysis at the American Association of State Colleges and Universities. With a healthier economy than in years past, legislatures have given an average of 6% more money to schools this year, he says.

"Having said how good that is, it's important to remember colleges and universities are digging themselves out of holes of various sizes due to less funding in the previous five years," when the economy was weaker, he says.

Public universities often are the first victims of budget cuts, says Dallas Martin of the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators. Universities compete directly with budget priorities such as Medicaid, pensions, K-12 schools and other programs, he says.

Higher education cuts may be easier for legislators to justify because, unlike many other state budget items, they have an alternate source of income: tuition and fees.

But politics favors public education this year, as upcoming mid-term elections send officials scrambling to say they make education a priority, says Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of aid tracker FinAid.org.

"In the three or four months before a midterm election, there is lots of posturing and bills to do something for education," he says.

State funding increases still aren't enough to cover rising employee health costs, skyrocketing utilities bills and the need for more buildings to cope with bulging enrollments, which account for continuing cost increases, Reindl says.

Heath
11-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Also, Cincinnati City Beat had a rather long article this past spring on college tuition. I'm not going to cut & paste the whole article here, but I'll provide a link to anyone who wants to read it.

http://www.citybeat.com/2006-05-17/cover.shtml

Reds4Life
11-28-2006, 09:13 PM
It's not just that she hired new people, she hired people that were totally and completely unqualified. She was one major mistake for this University.

Her pal, Monica Rami, is the Vice President for Financial Operations. She had to be moved from her title as the school lawyer because she doesn't have a license to practice law in Ohio. The Ohio Supreme Court was notified of this, and she was about to be called before them for practicing without a license and disbarred in Wisconsin. So, Nancy moved her into one of the highest ranking finance jobs in the entire University and she's now in charge of a $1 billion + budget. Oh, did I mention she doesn't have a degree in finance, or have any financial management experience at all? Ya, what a great move.

I would agree this extension for Zimpher means nothing, they are usually 2-3 years minimum, this is only 12 months. Doesn’t mean much, it strikes me as appeasement since the rumblings about her possible departure are growing louder by the minute. I am a UC grad, but they will never get another penny of money (donations or otherwise) while that woman is still President. This goes way past the Huggins thing for me, she's done more damage to UC than Bob could ever dream of doing.

cincinnati chili
11-28-2006, 09:39 PM
UC has substantially increased its research funding over the past few years. I read somewhere that it's out-hustled all Ohio public universities. Nationally, it's reputation is improving after a two decade free-fall.

If you're going to blame Zimpher for the stuff that's gone wrong at the university (like the Title IX rowing suit; alleged cronyism; tuition increases), then you need to praise her for the things that have gone right.

We all have our opinions on Huggins, but as an objective observer, I'd say that current students are paying more but also getting more.

And by the way, my dad's on the faculty (for 30+ years), and I'm not so sure that the rank and file generally dislike her. Maybe the deans, but not the typical professors.

Cedric
11-28-2006, 10:06 PM
UC has substantially increased its research funding over the past few years. I read somewhere that it's out-hustled all Ohio public universities. Nationally, it's reputation is improving after a two decade free-fall.

If you're going to blame Zimpher for the stuff that's gone wrong at the university (like the Title IX rowing suit; alleged cronyism; tuition increases), then you need to praise her for the things that have gone right.

We all have our opinions on Huggins, but as an objective observer, I'd say that current students are paying more but also getting more.

And by the way, my dad's on the faculty (for 30+ years), and I'm not so sure that the rank and file generally dislike her. Maybe the deans, but not the typical professors.

She is pumping money into research but yet she's losing the best faculty. She did the easiest thing possible, improve funding in that area. Problem is the budget is incredibly out of whack and almost at crisis mode.

This isn't about just Bob Huggins, it's about a lady completely in over her head. She's only won with those that like smoke and mirrors. She fired the big bad athletic coach, woo hoo to her.

Larkin Fan
11-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Looks like that rumor about her going to tOSU was just that.

Thank God.

paintmered
11-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Thank God.

I hope you enjoy your moment of schadenfreude. Unfortunately some of us have to bear the brunt of her decisions.

I mean, we're only losing very high quality faculty left and right because there is an absolute moratorium on granting tenure right now.

Larkin Fan
11-29-2006, 09:46 AM
I hope you enjoy your moment of schadenfreude. Unfortunately some of us have to bear the brunt of her decisions.

I mean, we're only losing very high quality faculty left and right because there is an absolute moratorium on granting tenure right now.

Moment of schadenfreude? Come on paint, I was in no way taking pleasure in what you and your fellow students have to endure and you know it.

I'm an OSU student and I have every right to be glad that she isn't going to have a chance to come here and pull the same thing here. How that entails taking pleasure in the suffering of others, well, I'll never know.

Roy Tucker
11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
From the CityBeat article...

"There is an amenities war going on, particularly in institutions that attract traditional students," Matthews says. "In the end, the money has got to come from somewhere."

With my son being a freshman at UC now, this is the thing I noticed across the board when we went on campus visits early this year. Schools are palaces now compared to what they were in the 70's. I cannot believe the dining halls (food courts really), fitness centers, living quarters, entertainment complexes, etc. compared to when I went to school.

I suppose its all a product of the opulent lifestyle most people think is obliged them these days.

SunDeck
11-29-2006, 09:45 PM

Rem

I am.
I was not unhappy to see Huggins go, and I have never been happy with the fact that UC doesn't get it's due academically, despite having some excellent programs (none of which accepted me...but that's another matter.)

Heath
11-30-2006, 07:37 AM
With my son being a freshman at UC now, this is the thing I noticed across the board when we went on campus visits early this year. Schools are palaces now compared to what they were in the 70's. I cannot believe the dining halls (food courts really), fitness centers, living quarters, entertainment complexes, etc. compared to when I went to school.

I suppose its all a product of the opulent lifestyle most people think is obliged them these days.

It's also part of the sales pitch. Hey, look a Burger King! and they take my meal plan!

You gain the freshman 15 in a whole different way now.