PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Men's Basketball

WMR
11-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Truly scary to imagine how good this team will be once Oden is back and hitting on 8-cylinders... scoring for this team is near-effortless.

I don't know how many of these guys will be around for more than one season, but they're something to behold...

WMR
11-29-2006, 09:57 PM
They're playing #6 UNC on ESPN if anyone's not aware...

BuckeyeRed27
11-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Really entertaining half. Both teams doing some good things. Should be a good finish.

paintmered
11-29-2006, 10:08 PM
They're playing #6 UNC on ESPN if anyone's not aware...

What's the score?

OSU does have a ridiculously talented team this year. Enjoy it. :)

And please don't rub it in too much when OSU destroys UC in a few weeks....

cincy jacket
11-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Oh for the days when my UK Wildcats used to play like this. This is a very enjoyable game to watch. Ohio State has been much more impressive than i thought they would be without Oden.

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:21 PM
What's the score?

And please don't rub it in too much when OSU destroys UC in a few weeks...

LOL why would I be rubbing anything in???

I'm a UK fan, remember?

"Our mediocore team is better than your mediocore team!!"

nyah nyah nyah nyahhhhhhh

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh for the days when my UK Wildcats used to play like this. This is a very enjoyable game to watch. Ohio State has been much more impressive than i thought they would be without Oden.

Derek Anderson, Walter McCarty, Antoine Walker, Tony Delk.. STOP IT MUST STOP before I throw my laptop off my balcony

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:23 PM
What's the score?

And please don't rub it in too much when OSU destroys UC in a few weeks....

Score is Ohio St. 48 UNC 50... UNC on 6-0 run to start the 2nd half... 17:37 left in the 2nd half

cincy jacket
11-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Derek Anderson, Walter McCarty, Antoine Walker, Tony Delk.. STOP IT MUST STOP before I throw my laptop off my balcony

Ron Mercer, Jeff Sheppard, Jeff Padgett, Jamaal Magloire, Cameron Mills, Hawkins, Fitch, heck I might even take... dare I say it.... Saul Smith, over the bunch of guys they are running out there now. If i see Bradley dribble the ball off his knee one more time I think I might throw my laptop off my balcony too.

paintmered
11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Score is Ohio St. 48 UNC 50... UNC on 6-0 run to start the 2nd half... 17:37 left in the 2nd half

Thanks. :)

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Ron Mercer, Jeff Sheppard, Jeff Padgett, Jamaal Magloire, Cameron Mills, Hawkins, Fitch, heck I might even take... dare I say it.... Saul Smith, over the bunch of guys they are running out there now. If i see Bradley dribble the ball off his knee one more time I think I might throw my laptop off my balcony too.

The thing is... these freshman they've recruited are all nice players>>>>> NICE, I said. That's IT. None of these kids has a chance of projecting to, for instance, the frosh PG at Memphis who chose Memphis over UK.

BuckeyeRed27
11-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Hope we can keep hitting those triples. Harris, Lewis and Connolly are amazing.

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Tarheels putting on a run... only 8 scholarship players for Ohio State available for the game tonight, btw...

UNC 80 - Oh. St. 72 --- 6:20 remaining

cincy jacket
11-29-2006, 10:56 PM
The thing is... these freshman they've recruited are all nice players>>>>> NICE, I said. That's IT. None of these kids has a chance of projecting to, for instance, the frosh PG at Memphis who chose Memphis over UK.

I really like Jasper. Your right he is no Kemp but he is already a better option at point than Bradley. The days of us getting a Mayo, Young, Wright, Oden, or Walker seems to be gone. Whether that is because Tubby doesn't want them or they don't want to play in a place where the team tries to win games 65-55 is insignificant really to the point. Hopefully Tubby can go out and land a Lucas and Patterson to go with Meeks and Jasper. Otherwise I hate to sound like a typical irrational UK fan but Tubby has to go. The longest stretch in school history after this year without reaching the final four and no light at the end of tunnel.

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Holy crap this has been a fun game to watch... Dicky V said he hasn't seen this level of talent on the court at one time in years... might hafta agree with him

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:59 PM
I really like Jasper. Your right he is no Kemp but he is already a better option at point than Bradley. The days of us getting a Mayo, Young, Wright, Oden, or Walker seems to be gone. Whether that is because Tubby doesn't want them or they don't want to play in a place where the team tries to win games 65-55 is irrelevant. Hopefully Tubby can go out and land a Lucas and Patterson to go with Meeks and Jasper. Otherwise I hate to sound like a typical irrational UK fan but Tubby has to go. The longest stretch in school history after this year without reaching the final four and no light at the end of tunnel.

Yeah I'm right there with you... trying to make Bradley into a distributing PG is the proverbial square peg into a round hole quandary... the turnovers are awful and he just doesn't seem to know how to consistently get the team into any sort of offense.

Utilizing him as a sparkplug off the bench is looking more and more like the right move. Rondo wasn't much of a distributor either, but his athleticism and ability to score overrode those deficiencies. Bradley... not so much.

BuckeyeRed27
11-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Good effort. Bucks had one cold streak..UNC didn't...that's the difference.

Cyclone792
11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Holy crap this has been a fun game to watch... Dicky V said he hasn't seen this level of talent on the court at one time in years... might hafta agree with him

Yep, he's mentioned this might be one of the best frosh classes in years, possibly a decade or more, and he may very well be right. Despite being a UC fan and the extremely low odds for UC to have a nice season and reach the NCAA tourney this season, I'm really looking forward to this college basketball season altogether due to all this talent we're seeing on several teams.

As of now, North Carolina's up by eight points with a minute remaining, and the Tar Heels have the ball. Barring a miracle, I think this one's wrapped up for North Carolina.

guttle11
11-29-2006, 11:11 PM
If Oden's half as good as advertised, I think the Buckeyes win this one by 10+ with him. They have absolutely ZERO inside game right now.

Having said that, this was a great game to watch. Both teams should be #1 seeds if they stay healthy. I think it's clear that it's OSU/UNC/Florida/Kansas... and then everyone else.

cincy jacket
11-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Great game. Even though OSU is going to lose it looks like I was really impressed by how they played on the road, without their best player, and with only 8 scholarship players. By the end you could tell they were getting tired. The shots they missed were all coming up short, their legs were gone. Give them some time though and hey are going to be a force come tournament time. As a side note does anyone else think Greg Oden looks like he is 35. He looks older than Matta.

max venable
11-29-2006, 11:22 PM
I may have missed it in tonight's broadcast...not sure if the announcers mentioned it...is there some dude named Oden that's supposed to be pretty good that didn't play tonight?

paintmered
11-29-2006, 11:23 PM
I may have missed it in tonight's broadcast...not sure if the announcers mentioned it...is there some dude named Oden that's supposed to be pretty good that didn't play tonight?

I'm guessing that's sarcasm in your post and it was mentioned every 1.8 seconds?

I didn't see the broadcast BTW.

max venable
11-29-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm guessing that's sarcasm in your post and it was mentioned every 1.8 seconds?

try every 1.1 seconds.

bucksfan
11-29-2006, 11:28 PM
I was very pleased with the game overall. I thought we gave great effort and the skill shown on both sides was almost unparalleled, especially for so early in the season and teams so young. Should be a good year for both teams. Good, entertaining basketball. Honestly ( a probably completely nit-pickily) I would not have minded seeing the ball in Butler's hands maybe a little more as the game started slipping, but man is Conley gonna be a good one too. Hunter is gonna be a heckuva PF to sit alongside Oden. He has a nice game too.

Spring~Fields
11-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I thought it was a great game, very exciting. It will serve as good experience for both teams.

BuckWoody
11-29-2006, 11:30 PM

1.6 seconds, I think.

It was a very fun game to watch other than the fact that you had to listen to Vitale the whole time. The Bucks have some serious talent and they'll be scary good once they get that one kid back...his name's slipped my mind. UNC looked awesome, great shooters and nearly unstoppable once they get the ball inside. I do want to see a rematch of this one down the road!

Redlegs23
11-30-2006, 10:38 AM
I got back from the UC game and watched the second half of the OSU game. Unbelievable the difference in the two teams. I'm a huge UC fan, but I'm guessing it will be a 30+ point drubbing by OSU. I just keep thinking what would've been without Nancy Zimpher. Not that UC would be as good as OSU, but they'd at least be a top 25 caliber team.

I was really impressed with UNC as well. That frosh that dropped 3 straight hook shots was impressive. It was a very fun game to watch (unlike UC and Oakland.)

Puffy
11-30-2006, 11:09 AM
If Oden's half as good as advertised, I think the Buckeyes win this one by 10+ with him. They have absolutely ZERO inside game right now.

Having said that, this was a great game to watch. Both teams should be #1 seeds if they stay healthy. I think it's clear that it's OSU/UNC/Florida/Kansas... and then everyone else.

I knew someone would bring this up. And I disagree. Of course I am a UNC fan, so go figure. However, OSU was something like 55% from 3 point land and they took 20 shots. If Oden's there I don't think they take that many three's, especially since most of those three's were off drive and dish - with Oden in the middle that congests things a bit and those drive and dish opportunites are slightly less. I have no doubt the game would have been even closer and maybe even OSU wins, but NOT by 10+points.

Again, as a UNC fan - two observations.

(1) Ohio State is better than I thought. They are excellent shooters and great athletes. At the beginning of the year I thought it was Kansas, Florida and UNC and then a second tier of teams led by OSU (not in the first three's class though). I was wrong. From what I have seen that top tier is Kansas, Florida, UNC, UCLA and Ohio State.

(2) If you wanna beat UNC you better get to them early in the year, like Gonzaga. They are young and learning, but soooooo deep. Roy wants them to score, run, score and they are gonna wear teams out (like what happened a little to OSU) and they are only going to get better once the kids get acclimated. Ty Lawson is special and so is Brendan Wright. Plus Hansbourgh. Scary.

guttle11
11-30-2006, 11:18 AM
I knew someone would bring this up. And I disagree. Of course I am a UNC fan, so go figure. However, OSU was something like 55% from 3 point land and they took 20 shots. If Oden's there I don't think they take that many three's, especially since most of those three's were off drive and dish - with Oden in the middle that congests things a bit and those drive and dish opportunites are slightly less. I have no doubt the game would have been even closer and maybe even OSU wins, but NOT by 10+points.

(1) Ohio State is better than I thought. They are excellent shooters and great athletes. At the beginning of the year I thought it was Kansas, Florida and UNC and then a second tier of teams led by OSU (not in the first three's class though). I was wrong. From what I have seen that top tier is Kansas, Florida, UNC, UCLA and Ohio State.

(2) If you wanna beat UNC you better get to them early in the year, like Gonzaga. They are young and learning, but soooooo deep. Roy wants them to score, run, score and they are gonna wear teams out (like what happened a little to OSU) and they are only going to get better once the kids get acclimated. Ty Lawson is special and so is Brendan Wright. Plus Hansbourgh. Scary.

Oden may be the best inside defender in the country when he steps on court. He's not just offense. That game started to turn when Hansbrough started to score. It opened up the outside shots, and Ellington hit everything he looked at.

It's probably the fact that we're both homers to an extent, but I'm not sure if UNC makes that big run with Oden on the floor. He's a game changer.

I know one thing, if those two teams meet the evening of Opening Day, it will be one helluva title game.

max venable
11-30-2006, 11:56 AM
I can't say Ohio State beats UNC with Oden back. I like their chances better with him. I think with Oden, UNC and OSU are pretty evenly matched. UNC very well could still win. The whole game and approach would look different with him playing. Give me OSU with Oden in a rematch in April and we'll see what happens. How much fun would that game be?

Last night's game was a blast. Would like to see another matchup.

By the way, as I read stuff on the Internet this morning about last night's game, you'd think OSU won. Even espn's highlights last night. They're getting waaaay too much love for losing a game, IMO (see Andy Katz's article on espn.com). It's almost like: "Oh, and by the way, UNC played pretty good last night too, at least I think so, they may have even won...not sure...but wow! how 'bout those Buckeyes."

Have a good friend who's a HUGE UNC fan (we watched the game together last night. And he's pretty saltly about how much love OSU is getting in the media after that game.

WMR
11-30-2006, 03:23 PM
All I know is, I'll be completely amazed if UNC doesn't absolutely CRUSH UK when they play. :(

traderumor
11-30-2006, 09:37 PM

Does it get called on the road when Hansbrough travels and/or buries his shoulder to shove through defender and/or fakes twelve times in the lane (its called 3 seconds)?

I don't follow the logic that with Oden in the game would lead to fewer threes and would not be a 20 point swing. I guarantee Hansbrough's slop would have been knocked halfway up into the hopping student section by the big man and he would not have gotten away with burrowing through the lane. Of course, see above, he got away with it thanks to the home court advantage.

Oh well, the rest of what you said is also true of the Bucks--get 'em now if you wanna get them.

bucksfan
11-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Hansgrough is an animal (complimentary term) no doubt and has some considerable skill. Hard to say how he would have done with Oden in there, but he has been successful against good big before. Oden will still have some learning to do. But he will definitely shore up our biggest weakness and make Hunter more effective to boot. I think Othello is looking like a very nice pickup out of the JC ranks. Surprised at his rebound total s last night though. Seems Cook snagged the most, which is not an unprecedented event. Boy, he sure isn't shy, is he?

traderumor
12-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Hansgrough is an animal (complimentary term) no doubt and has some considerable skill. Hard to say how he would have done with Oden in there, but he has been successful against good big before. Oden will still have some learning to do. But he will definitely shore up our biggest weakness and make Hunter more effective to boot. I think Othello is looking like a very nice pickup out of the JC ranks. Surprised at his rebound total s last night though. Seems Cook snagged the most, which is not an unprecedented event. Boy, he sure isn't shy, is he?I really am not impressed by a player like Hansbrough, I guess just to be a rebel because announcers, writers and his own team's fans love the overachieving, "bulldog" white guy, esp. in basketball. Kind of like a Steve Scheffler of Purdue "fame." Drove me nuts to watch that guy score with so little talent.

dabvu2498
12-01-2006, 11:02 AM
I really am not impressed by a player like Hansbrough, I guess just to be a rebel because announcers, writers and his own team's fans love the overachieving, "bulldog" white guy, esp. in basketball. Kind of like a Steve Scheffler of Purdue "fame." Drove me nuts to watch that guy score with so little talent.

Hansborough's stats tell me he's got more to his game than just a "bulldog" mentality.

guttle11
12-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Hansborough's stats tell me he's got more to his game than just a "bulldog" mentality.

No, it's 100% true. He's about as athletic as Betty White. He just out-hustles and out-works everyone else on the floor.

dabvu2498
12-01-2006, 11:10 AM
No, it's 100% true. He's about as athletic as Betty White. He just out-hustles and out-works everyone else on the floor.

I'm saying he has a skill set, other than just bulldogedness.

Roy Tucker
12-01-2006, 11:48 AM

Scrappy.

guttle11
12-01-2006, 11:56 AM

I'm not sure he does, though. I've yet to see him face up 15 feet out and hit a jumper or take a guy off the dribble. He's ok at moves on the block, but so are about 125 other guys in college basketball.

He's a great college basketball player, but he does not possess great skill. Like Roy Tucker said, he's just scrappier than everyone else. I'm not knocking him. I'd love to have him, or a player like him on my team. He's their heart and soul.

cincy jacket
12-01-2006, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=guttle11;1202850]I'm not sure he does, though. I've yet to see him face up 15 feet out and hit a jumper or take a guy off the dribble. He's ok at moves on the block, but so are about 125 other guys in college basketball.
QUOTE]

Your not saying there are 125 players better than him in college right now are you? I would be hardpressed to name 15. He has a great defined skill set for what he is. A back to the basket post player. It's rare now in college to have one of those so I think we sometimes forget what kind of skills those guys have. Everytime OSU doubled him in the post he was able to dribble out of it or split them for a layup or dunk. I've seen him on numerous occassions kncok down foul line jumpers. He does not have the athletic skills that McRoberts does at Duke but he is far more than just Ryan Freel out there getting by on his scrappiness.

bucksfan
12-01-2006, 12:20 PM

I completely agree.

guttle11
12-01-2006, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=guttle11;1202850]I'm not sure he does, though. I've yet to see him face up 15 feet out and hit a jumper or take a guy off the dribble. He's ok at moves on the block, but so are about 125 other guys in college basketball.
QUOTE]

Your not saying there are 125 players better than him in college right now are you? I would be hardpressed to name 15. He has a great defined skill set for what he is. A back to the basket post player. It's rare now in college to have one of those so I think we sometimes forget what kind of skills those guys have. Everytime OSU doubled him in the post he was able to dribble out of it or split them for a layup or dunk. I've seen him on numerous occassions kncok down foul line jumpers. He does not have the athletic skills that McRoberts does at Duke but he is far more than just Ryan Freel out there getting by on his scrappiness.

No, I'm saying there's probably 125 guys who have the athletic skillset he does. How many guys can hit a turn around J, or seal off an opponet with a good post move? Lots. What makes him an All-American is his strength, desire, and heart.

He kind of reminds me of an inside Larry Bird in a sense that he's not going to blow by you, or wow you with his athletic ability, but you can pretty much count on that ball going in the hoop if he gets his shot off. He actually stayed in college because he need to work on his skills.

traderumor
12-01-2006, 01:01 PM
No, I'm saying there's probably 125 guys who have the athletic skillset he does. How many guys can hit a turn around J, or seal off an opponet with a good post move? Lots. What makes him an All-American is his strength, desire, and heart.

He kind of reminds me of an inside Larry Bird in a sense that he's not going to blow by you, or wow you with his athletic ability, but you can pretty much count on that ball going in the hoop if he gets his shot off. He actually stayed in college because he need to work on his skills.Do not insult Larry Bird with that comparison.

dabvu2498
12-01-2006, 01:27 PM
No, I'm saying there's probably 125 guys who have the athletic skillset he does. How many guys can hit a turn around J, or seal off an opponet with a good post move? Lots.

Do you really think so? I agree with jacket. There are fewer than 10 guys in college with back-to-the basket moves comparable to Hansbrough. And that is something that very few teams emphasize or utilize in the college game nowadays, but is still very effective. He's 6'9, 250. He doesn't need to blow by people, and he can hit the face-up jumper. Just doesn't need to.

I'd say Kevin McHale is a much more valid comparison than Larry Bird.

And if he didn't work his tail off, he'd still be decent, but certainly not great. See Randolph Morris for details.

Roy Tucker
12-01-2006, 01:52 PM
I'll go along with the 125 guys who have the athletic skill set.

But I also agree with dabvu's 10 guys with back to the basket and post moves.

Everyone wants to be on ESPN breaking a guy's ankles with a cross-over dribble or flying in for the jam. But there are more ways to skin a cat and doing a set of unspectacular but effective things with a non-stop motor is another equally efficient way.

Back in Roy's hoops days, there were some guys that would fly above you like a pterodactyl for a lob-jam but then take off the next 3 plays. And there were guys that had about 3 different moves but did them exceedingly well. Guy #1 you could beat, but guy #2 you came out of the game feeling like you'd spent 3 days in a washing machine.

traderumor
12-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Do you really think so? I agree with jacket. There are fewer than 10 guys in college with back-to-the basket moves comparable to Hansbrough. And that is something that very few teams emphasize or utilize in the college game nowadays, but is still very effective. He's 6'9, 250. He doesn't need to blow by people, and he can hit the face-up jumper. Just doesn't need to.

I'd say Kevin McHale is a much more valid comparison than Larry Bird.

And if he didn't work his tail off, he'd still be decent, but certainly not great. See Randolph Morris for details.Speaking of McHale, his alma mater's coach resigned (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AgwNXss3dU1yR4nYDdxtlzDevbYF?slug=ap-minnesota-monsonresigns&prov=ap&type=lgns)

bucksfan
12-01-2006, 02:54 PM
I'll go along with the 125 guys who have the athletic skill set.

But I also agree with dabvu's 10 guys with back to the basket and post moves.

Everyone wants to be on ESPN breaking a guy's ankles with a cross-over dribble or flying in for the jam. But there are more ways to skin a cat and doing a set of unspectacular but effective things with a non-stop motor is another equally efficient way.

Back in Roy's hoops days, there were some guys that would fly above you like a pterodactyl for a lob-jam but then take off the next 3 plays. And there were guys that had about 3 different moves but did them exceedingly well. Guy #1 you could beat, but guy #2 you came out of the game feeling like you'd spent 3 days in a washing machine.

There's athletic skill set and basketball skill set, which I think sometimes are viewed as interchangeable beyond shooting. Hansbrough may be in the middle-of-the pack considering athletic skill set (not saying he is, but possiby) however his basketball skill set, knowing how to position himself and hold it, gain advantages with footwork, ability to get to the hoop and get up a good shot, etc are real basketball skills that he possesses that are clearly above most other 6'9" college players. The fact that he works so hard definitely adds to that. But just because they are not the evident God-given skills like running and jumping, the other basketball type skills are just as real and important.

cincy jacket
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
There's athletic skill set and basketball skill set, which I think sometimes are viewed as interchangeable beyond shooting. Hansbrough may be in the middle-of-the pack considering athletic skill set (not saying he is, but possiby) however his basketball skill set, knowing how to position himself and hold it, gain advantages with footwork, ability to get to the hoop and get up a good shot, etc are real basketball skills that he possesses that are clearly above most other 6'9" college players. The fact that he works so hard definitely adds to that. But just because they are not the evident God-given skills like running and jumping, the other basketball type skills are just as real and important.

Exactlly. Hansbrough has an excellent basketball IQ. He is always in proper position on defense and never seems to make stupid decisions with the ball on offense. The comparison someone else made to a Randolph Morris with effort is pretty accurate. Morris has a little better shot but Hansbrough is far better in post moves (up and under, drop step, etc...). My lock of the weekend is for Hansbrough to show off his post skills to Morris tomorrow. Look for Morris to have two quick fouls by biting on Hansbrough shot fakes and spend the rest of the half giving Tubby advice on the bench. The overall point still being that Hansbrough is no Josh McRoberts with the athletic skills to take it coast to coast and jump out of the gym but he will also always be in the right spot on defense and you get him the ball on the block it's almost a guaranteed two points.

Danny Serafini
12-03-2006, 01:32 AM
I don't see how anyone can think Ohio State has a decent basketball team, they just gave up 200 points. ;)

Lincoln sets D-III record for points in game, half
By Joseph Santoliquito
Special to ESPN.com

There is a basketball scene from the movie "Pleasantville" in which every shot from every conceivable angle goes in. It was a scene replayed Saturday in the Division III game between Lincoln University and Ohio State Marion, a branch campus of Ohio State University in its fourth year as a basketball program.

Everything Lincoln threw up seemed to fall, as the Lions, ranked No. 11 nationally, set a Division III record for points in a 201-78 victory at Salem International, in Salem, W.Va. The scoreboard at the end of the game actually read: Lincoln 01, Marion 78, because it wasn't designed to go up to 200. Marion, it should be noted, had only six players in uniform.

Five Division III team records fell: points scored in a half -- as Lincoln led 97-44 at intermission, largest margin of victory (123), shots made (78) and shots taken (141). The previous Division III record for points in a game was 172, set by Redlands against La Verne University on Jan. 6, 2005. Redlands also held the halftime record, which was 93 points in the same game.

The margin of victory for Lincoln also was an NCAA record.

The previous largest margin of victory in a Division III game was 112 points, set by Eureka College in a 149-37 victory over Borat on Nov. 29, 1989. Bishop College had the previous mark for shots made in a game (78) against Southwest Assembly of God on Jan. 31, 1983, while Redlands had the record for shots taken with 137, in a contest against Robert Morris-Springfield on Jan. 5, 2005.

Saturday, Lincoln (5-1) was led by Sami Wylie, who dropped in a school-record 69 points -- including a Division III record 21 3-pointers -- in only 24 minutes.

"I never saw anything like this before," Lincoln coach Garfield Yuille said. "When it was happening, I couldn't believe it -- we couldn't miss. Our offense is an up-tempo style, and we press the whole game. We had 48 steals and we're up and down the court. We just kept scoring and Wylie was on fire. Wylie had 21 3s in 24 minutes. I may have seen something like it in the playgrounds."

Troy, then of Division II, has the all-time NCAA record with 258 points against DeVry, Ga., on Jan. 12, 1992.

Even though it didn't lessen the destruction, Yuille did empty his bench, playing all 16 players that dressed for the game.

Wylie, a 5-foot-11 senior guard, once scored 46 points in a game, but he never experienced anything like this.

"I just felt right when I came into the gym today," Wylie said. "When I released the ball, I could feel it off my fingertips like everything was going to go in. I looked at the scoreboard after the game and I didn't believe it. I called people back home [in South Philadelphia] and told them and they couldn't believe it. I won't forget this."

The Lions were spurred on by their first loss of the season, a 90-79 setback against Salem International on Friday night. Lincoln came out pressing, which is the team's style.

"That's the way we play," Wylie said. "Our coach tells us to go out there and kill opponents with an ax. We score most of our points off defense pressure. That's the way we played today. We pressed the whole game. Sure, some people might look at it like we ran it up, but we play like we practice. We lost Friday night and we took our frustration out on these guys."

Wylie summed up the feeling for anyone in the gym: "This was very special. This game is something I'll never forget. This one was a special moment for me."

WMR
12-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Maybe we could trade Tubby for him

Puffy
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Does it get called on the road when Hansbrough travels and/or buries his shoulder to shove through defender and/or fakes twelve times in the lane (its called 3 seconds)?

I don't follow the logic that with Oden in the game would lead to fewer threes and would not be a 20 point swing. I guarantee Hansbrough's slop would have been knocked halfway up into the hopping student section by the big man and he would not have gotten away with burrowing through the lane. Of course, see above, he got away with it thanks to the home court advantage.

Oh well, the rest of what you said is also true of the Bucks--get 'em now if you wanna get them.

Hansbrough and Oden played two years ago - Tyler had 16 points and 10 rebounds, Oden had 16 and 6.

What that means, I don't know - except that your stupid, ridiculous assertion that "I guarantee Hansborough's slop would have been knocked halfway up into the hopping student section by the big man" is erroneous, cause he played on a team with Oden and he scored on a team with Oden. So I guess his "slop" wouldn't have been thrown into the student section.

Of course, knowing you I am pretty confident you won't admit you are wrong, but will somehow alter what you clearly stated to make yourself somehow right.

And, as for you once again quoting me - I clearly stated that if Oden played the game would have been even closer and OSU might have won. I also clearly gave OSU props for being better than I thought and a true National championship contender (which I didn't think before I saw them play - but I do now).

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-04-2006, 12:01 PM
" He plays the game the right way "

traderumor
12-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Hansbrough and Oden played two years ago - Tyler had 16 points and 10 rebounds, Oden had 16 and 6.

What that means, I don't know - except that your stupid, ridiculous assertion that "I guarantee Hansborough's slop would have been knocked halfway up into the hopping student section by the big man" is erroneous, cause he played on a team with Oden and he scored on a team with Oden. So I guess his "slop" wouldn't have been thrown into the student section.

Of course, knowing you I am pretty confident you won't admit you are wrong, but will somehow alter what you clearly stated to make yourself somehow right.

And, as for you once again quoting me - I clearly stated that if Oden played the game would have been even closer and OSU might have won. I also clearly gave OSU props for being better than I thought and a true National championship contender (which I didn't think before I saw them play - but I do now).Quoted you again :p: Looked at the rules again, also. They still don't say anything about having to agree with Puffy to quote him.

Also, you did not provide any evidence about blocked shots, you talked about rebounds and points scored, in a HS game played two years ago, IIRC. So, I'm not seeing where you provided evidence that his SLOP would not have been sent another direction, perhaps with great force. All you showed is that he scored some points and got some rebounds, and assuming you did not see the game in question, you have no idea how one played the other. Thus, my rhetoric (or trash talking taken waaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously by some) has not been proven false and is still a possibility. I hope they get to meet. Maybe it will give me a better gauge than the first matchup with Hunter and Terwilliger. Maybe Hansbrough is all that, but my years of watching the game put him in the context of, as others have pointed out, "scrappy," which is synonym for long on desire, short on talent.

max venable
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Also...Oden's team won that game by like 16 points.