PDA

View Full Version : Pujols unhappy with not getting MVP

Blind Melon
11-29-2006, 10:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2680495

I guess a World Series ring isn't always enough....

Blind Melon
11-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Well, since there's 2 threads on this, somebody can delete or lock this if they want...

Matt700wlw
11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

WMR
11-29-2006, 10:43 PM
::Artie Lange impression:: "Wahhhhhhhhh, I didn't get the MVP!!! WAHHHHHHHH"

justincredible
11-29-2006, 10:53 PM
http://www.shoplet.com/office/limages/PKCC4693.JPG

Poor Albert.:(

:rolleyes:

OnBaseMachine
11-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Pujols is an ass, and this just further proves it. Oh, and Pujols didn't lead the Cardinals to the World Series, Pedro's injury did.

Red in Chicago
11-29-2006, 11:09 PM
::Artie Lange impression:: "Wahhhhhhhhh, I didn't get the MVP!!! WAHHHHHHHH"

i was thinking the same thing wmr...artie's the best:beerme:

WMR
11-29-2006, 11:15 PM
i was thinking the same thing wmr...artie's the best:beerme:

I wasn't going to say anything... I know you listen to The Show, not sure who else it'll make much sense to, lol.

RedsManRick
11-29-2006, 11:30 PM
The bloom is off the rose. The media built up their flawless hero in Pujols and now it's time to sell papers bringing him back down from the clouds.

smallbattle
11-29-2006, 11:39 PM
There may be no "I" in team, but there is "ME"

Wheelhouse
11-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey listen, I'm far more worried about the pain George Grande is going through in all this...

CRedsLarkin11
11-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Awww... everybody isn't willing to just hand "Prince Albert" everything, that's sad

Cedric
11-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Pujols reminds me of Sammy Sosa in some ways. He's supposedly a great guy when everything goes perfect, but any time there is something against him he sounds arrogant and spoiled.

I don't think attitudes are the only thing comparable about these players also.

Elam
11-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Cards 83-78
Phillies 85-77

So were the Cards the better team or just in an easier division? Would be interesting what Pujols would say if he had the Mets in his division.

TOBTTReds
11-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Cards 83-78
Phillies 85-77

So were the Cards the better team or just in an easier division? Would be interesting what Pujols would say if he had the Mets in his division.

Yup. The Cards got to play the Reds, Pirates, Astros, Cubs and Brewers a total of 81 games, or half the season.

While Ryan Howard's team played the dominant Mets, Marlins, Nats, and Braves a total of 75 games.

The Cards were 16-15 (.516) vs. the East, while the Phils were 41-34 (.547). The Cards actually had a losing record verse the poor central at 39-42 (.481) while the Phils were 20-17 (.541).

Reds Nd2
11-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Maybe Albert's an avid reader of Joe Sheehan?

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5722

So Ryan Howard and Justin Morneau can raise a glass to Harry Chadwick, because only in a world in which RBIs are tracked would anyone have alighted on them as the most valuable anything. Albert Pujols was superior to Ryan Howard in every advanced metric and most traditional ones...

...The voters elected Howard over Pujols because he had more RBIs and because he helped them fill more column inches. He's the Most Valuable Player, but in no way was he the most valuable player. The writers simply got it wrong.

Ltlabner
11-30-2006, 06:34 AM
Much like a spoild child who is throwing a temper tantrum....ignore them.

RFS62
11-30-2006, 06:51 AM
He's right. But he should know by now that whining in public, no matter where he is, will be picked up by the mainstream press.

Pujols is one complex dude.

I don't think we have any idea what he's really like.

RedsBaron
11-30-2006, 07:04 AM
He's right. But he should know by now that whining in public, no matter where he is, will be picked up by the mainstream press.

Before I read RFS's post, the words running through my mind were that "Pujols should have been voted the MVP but he shouldn't whine about it."

cincinnati chili
11-30-2006, 07:11 AM

Agreed.

He should have won the MVP, but he's not doing himself any favors by whining.

However, I'm glad he did. Because it means that sometime in the future, when he has a 2.000 OPS but his team comes in 4th, these comments will come back to haunt him.

Heath
11-30-2006, 07:31 AM
There may be no "I" in team, but there is "ME"

Leon the Budweiser Guy > Albert

Cry me a frickin' river Albert......

remdog
11-30-2006, 07:32 AM
I tend to agree with AvesIce's way of looking at it. Over the course of the season (and MVP has nothing to do with post-season play) Howard helped his team put up a better record than Albert's team and against toughter competition. (shrug)

Rem

Strikes Out Looking
11-30-2006, 08:06 AM
I guess he'll have to increase the dosage this offseason!

terminator
11-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Ryan Howard: "I don't think the award should go to someone who played on a team that won fewer games than a team that didn't go to the playoffs." :p:

RedEye
11-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Pujols reminds me of Sammy Sosa in some ways. He's supposedly a great guy when everything goes perfect, but any time there is something against him he sounds arrogant and spoiled.

I don't think attitudes are the only thing comparable about these players also.

Are you insinuating that Pujols uses steroids? Or that he's older than his listed age?

Redus
11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
sounds like roid rage to me :D

Highlifeman21
11-30-2006, 02:48 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but kudos to Albert for speaking his mind. He had a better year than Howard, but everyone (the voters) sees the HR and RBI totals for Howard and lose touch with reality.

Hopefully this opens the eyes of the voters that there is more to life than HR and RBI.

MWM
11-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Uh, Howard's team won more games than the Cards. Sure I think Pujols should have won, but Howard is a worthy candidate and I don't think it was a no-brainer. But the Phillies won more games. It's pure coincidence that they hapen to play in the same league as the Mets. this is a ridiculous argument, IMO.

Pujols' first few years he was humble and seemed to be a very class guy. And he might very well be. But his head has been growing substantially the last couple of years and he's starting to flash a real attitude that's not going to over well the basesball masses outside St. Louis. It will be interesting to see if this type of stuff continues. The comments he ade about the scout that signed him really turned me off to the guy.

OnBaseMachine
11-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Roid rage at its finest.

gm
11-30-2006, 06:58 PM
his head has been growing substantially the last couple of years

Literally? Wuh-oh

westofyou
11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
"I'm thrilled, despite a pretty dismal season by the ball club."

Andre Dawson 1987

Patpacillosjock
11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Uh, Howard's team won more games than the Cards. Sure I think Pujols should have won, but Howard is a worthy candidate and I don't think it was a no-brainer. But the Phillies won more games. It's pure coincidence that they hapen to play in the same league as the Mets. this is a ridiculous argument, IMO.

Pujols' first few years he was humble and seemed to be a very class guy. And he might very well be. But his head has been growing substantially the last couple of years and he's starting to flash a real attitude that's not going to over well the basesball masses outside St. Louis. It will be interesting to see if this type of stuff continues. The comments he ade about the scout that signed him really turned me off to the guy.

what comment? i missed that

foxfire123
12-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Didn't like him much before, like his whining a&& even less now. That man is the biggest fake there is---he's got everyone in st. louis convinced he's this walking God.

Foxfire123

redsmetz
12-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Here's a follow-up to this story from the St Louis Post-Dispatch

Albert Pujols has one more thing to say about the National League MVP balloting:

He's sorry.

In an interview with baseball writer Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Pujols said he will apologize to MVP Ryan Howard for the comment he made last week in the Dominican Republic.

At a press conference organized by the Dominican Republic's sports ministry, the Cardinals slugger and 2005 NL MVP was quoted as saying: "I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

In the interview with Nightengale, Pujols said:

"I feel so bad because I love Ryan Howard. I never said he didn't deserve the MVP. He is deserving of that award. He earned it. That's why he got it.

"I'm not trying to defend myself; I just want to tell him that I'm sorry for all of this because he earned the MVP. The last thing I want to do is spoil this for him."

Pujols also told Nightengale that his MVP comment was misinterpreted.
"The way that came out hurt me big time," Pujols said. "I'm very angry about that."

Pujols led the Cardinals to the NL Central title this year and their first World Series championship since 1982. Howard and the Phillies missed the playoffs -- though they won two more regular-season games than St. Louis did.

The Dominican-born Pujols batted .331 with 49 home runs and 137 RBIs. Howard, a product of Lafayette High in St. Louis County, hit .313 with 58 homers and 149 RBIs.

Howard got 20 first-place votes for MVP and 388 points in balloting by a panel of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Pujols received 12 first-place votes and 347 points. Voting is conducted before the postseason

OnBaseMachine
12-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Too late, crybaby. You've already embarrassed yourself.