PDA

View Full Version : Nick Lachey buys Mariners AAA franchise

savafan
11-30-2006, 01:23 PM
http://people.monstersandcritics.com/article_1227947.php/Lacheys_baseball_buy

Nick Lachey has bought a baseball team.

The singer, the former husband of Jessica Simpson, has become a part-owner of Washington team the Tacoma Rainiers.

Nick, who is a Cincinnati Reds fan, said: "Sports for me, other than what I do for a living, is truly my passion, and baseball has always been something that is a part of my life."

The 33-year-old plans to play an active role in the ownership of the team both on and off the pitch.

He says his interest in owning a baseball team began when the Cincinnati Reds were sold. When he failed to buy a share in his home team, he set his sights on another club.

Nick, who wore a Rainiers' shirt as he was unveiled as the new part-owner yesterday (29.11.06), will be involved in developing events including concerts and autograph signing sessions.

He now owns a one-third share of the baseball franchise.

The Rainiers are the Seattle Mariners' Class AAA club in the Pacific Coast League (PCL). This system allows the Major League side to develop Rainiers' players to be available to play for the Mariners on demand.

The PCL operates in the West and Midwest of the US. The Rainiers play at AAA level, which the highest level below the American Major League.