Yes!!! WHO DEY

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Chad Johnson is now:

#2 All-Time in Bengal History in : Receptions

#3 All-time in Bengal History in : Yardage

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:08 PM
KEIWAN RATLIFF!! Best PR of the year so far! Bengals at Ravens 31.

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Aww dang, start at the 31 and end up having to punt?? That stinks. Bengals miss a golden chance to make it a 3 score game... at least they are able to pin the Ravens inside their own 10 on the punt.

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Team RECORD - 7 quarters of shut-out football

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:33 PM
4th DOWN!! Ravens are going for it!!!

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Ahhhh crap, Ravens convert on 4th down

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:42 PM
RAVENS CANNOT CONVERT ON THEIR 2nd 4th down attempt!! BENGALS TAKE THE BALL

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:47 PM
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ravens MUFF the punt reception... BENGALS RECOVER!!!!!! !@#$

WMR
11-30-2006, 10:48 PM
GLENN HOLT has played himself a hell of a ballgame

TeamSelig
11-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey Who Dey Who Deyyyyy!!!!

WMR
11-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Ravens score BOO 1 minute left.

BENGALS RECOVER THE ONSIDE KICK!! YES!!!

RAVENS HAVE NO TIMEOUTS REMAINING -- GOOD-BYE DIRTY, DISEASED BIRDS!!

TeamSelig
11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOO DEEEYYY!!!!!

We were talkin about the game today and I said it would be close, I was told by this "expert" that it wouldn't even be close, and the Bengals would barely score. WHO DEY!!!!!

traderumor
11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Well, so much for the one who predicted 6-10 at one point. Anyone gonna fess up to that prediction?

Man, definately right smack in the middle of the wildcard chase, and not to be too presumptuous, but Oakland at home ought to be a W to take us to 8-5. Right now, we may not have to win both the Indy and Denver game, but only one as long as we take care of business at home against the Raiders and Pittsburgh.

macro
12-01-2006, 01:12 AM
WilyMo, are you drinking tonight? :D

Yachtzee
12-01-2006, 01:25 AM
He's just lovin' him some Bengals football. As am I WilyMo, as am I. Prost!

MrCinatit
12-01-2006, 07:05 AM
I wish I could have watched it, instead of listening to it at work - but it was a great game to listen to.

RedsBaron
12-01-2006, 07:47 AM
I wish I could have watched it, instead of listening to it at work - but it was a great game to listen to.

It was a great game to watch.

registerthis
12-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Yay Bengals.

Boo NFL Network. (I don't have it.)

traderumor
12-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Me neither, reg.

Would someone please explain to me the reasoning behind not being able to advance a "muffed" punt? What possible logic is there to that rule?

SunDeck
12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Baltimore Sun called the Bengals over Ravens yesterday. They said the Bengals would win because of the intangibles...ie, they needed it more. I didn't see the game but it didn't sound to me like the Ravens laid down. These two teams are dead even.

Here's my fear- the Bengals may be playing well enough to beat the Colts and the Broncos, neither of which is playing as well as they should be, but they may very well lose to the Steelers.

dabvu2498
12-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Me neither, reg.

Would someone please explain to me the reasoning behind not being able to advance a "muffed" punt? What possible logic is there to that rule?

From Jerry Markbreit:

Most rules "make sense", but the rule I've never understood is the muff rule. What is the reasoning behind not allowing the kicking team to advance a muffed punt? --Bob Pleva, Spring Grove, Ill.

Editor's note: Jerry's initial answer has been changed slightly. The definition of a muff is as follows: touching of the ball prior to possessing the ball. The act of muffing the ball is not considered possession. In order to advance the ball, which the kicking team recovers, it has to be possessed by the receiving team first. But, the kicking team can also recover a muff, but it cannot be advanced. The people who wrote the rules of the game thought it was unfair to allow the kickers to recover a ball and advance it, unless the receiving team possessed it first.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/askthereferee/cs-041118jerrymarkbreitsanswers,1,3867838.story?coll= cs-bears-asktheref-headlines

traderumor
12-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the explanation, that does make sense. It is the same concept that keeps a team who fumbles the ball and the defense temporarily picks up the ball but muffs it back to the offense from getting the advantage of a new set of downs simply because the D temporarily had the ball, but never really had "possession" of the ball.

Someone on another board tried to tell me that in a Bengals game against the Falcons that the refs messed up when John Thornton temporarily picked up a fumble that the Falcons got back. I explained the difference between a a muff and a fumble, he called me an idiot. Which is why I do most of my Bengals chatting here rather than the Bengals boards.

max venable
12-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Baltimore Sun called the Bengals over Ravens yesterday. They said the Bengals would win because of the intangibles...ie, they needed it more. I didn't see the game but it didn't sound to me like the Ravens laid down. These two teams are dead even.

Here's my fear- the Bengals may be playing well enough to beat the Colts and the Broncos, neither of which is playing as well as they should be, but they may very well lose to the Steelers.

Does a 10-win season get them in the playoffs? Tall order, winning 10 but you gotta figure they're gonna beat the Raiders...I'll take our chances against the Steelers...that means we have to beat either the Broncos or the Colts to get to 10 wins. But will that even be enough?

Redsland
12-01-2006, 03:14 PM
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ravens MUFF the punt reception... BENGALS RECOVER!!!!!! !@#$
FYI, I think some of the keys on your computer are sticking.

:)

Matt700wlw
12-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Well, so much for the one who predicted 6-10 at one point. Anyone gonna fess up to that prediction?

That would be the twinkie loving, fired by ESPN, Jason Whitlock. He also crapped on Marvin Lewis for "coddling" to Chad Johnson. He also ripped on Chad pretty good for only caring about himself. He said (on Lance's show) he is not a Chad fan and can't wait for him to get hit. He's gotten hit...he's gotten up....he's gotten better.

Somewhere, he is crying

Matt700wlw
12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
The "muffed" punt rule is stupid. This is the pros...if you can't catch the thing, then you deserve to have it run back the other way.

traderumor
12-01-2006, 04:46 PM
The "muffed" punt rule is stupid. This is the pros...if you can't catch the thing, then you deserve to have it run back the other way.I at least see some logic in the no possession change. But I like your logic better. If they want to prevent the case where it kicks off an offensive player who is not trying to catch the ball turning into a TD, that would be tolerable, but yea, when an NFL player is trying to catch the ball and gets close enough to touch it, he should catch it or suffer the consequences, whatever those may be.

Reds Fanatic
12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Does a 10-win season get them in the playoffs? Tall order, winning 10 but you gotta figure they're gonna beat the Raiders...I'll take our chances against the Steelers...that means we have to beat either the Broncos or the Colts to get to 10 wins. But will that even be enough?You will need at least 10 wins to get in with the AFC being so strong. I think KC will take one WC and the other wild card will need at least 10 wins. It may come down to the Bengals or Broncos and the game on Christmas Eve may decide the WC. The division is not over yet either Bengals are 2 games back of Baltimore but next week while the Bengals play the Raiders the Ravens play the Chiefs. That looks like a good chance to gain a game on the Ravens.

WVRed
12-01-2006, 05:18 PM
I think 10-6 is a legitimate possibility, and that could get us into the playoffs. Oakland and Pittsburgh are both winnable, and Denver is the only team that can really give us problems outside of Indy. However, with a rookie QB at the helm, ill take the Bengals. Not to mention three of our next four are at home.

To deal with what we have had to deal with this season with injuries and the toughest schedule and still make the playoffs would be spectacular.

macro
12-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Not to mention three of our next four are at home.

Actually, only two of the last four are at PBS. They're at Denver and at Indy.

traderumor
12-02-2006, 12:10 AM
You will need at least 10 wins to get in with the AFC being so strong. I think KC will take one WC and the other wild card will need at least 10 wins. It may come down to the Bengals or Broncos and the game on Christmas Eve may decide the WC. The division is not over yet either Bengals are 2 games back of Baltimore but next week while the Bengals play the Raiders the Ravens play the Chiefs. That looks like a good chance to gain a game on the Ravens.I think if we finish 10-6, we will gobble up the second playoff spot. We can tie with the Chiefs with the head to head win, and the same if we beat the Broncos and tie. But winning in Indy and/or Denver will be a tall order.

redsfan30
12-02-2006, 10:53 AM
The key is to beat Denver, because it's altogether possible that they both will finish up 10-6 and if you have the head-to-head victory, you'll get in.

Dom Heffner
12-02-2006, 11:02 AM
The Bengals are a long shot at this point. The San Diego and Tampa games loom so large.

traderumor
12-02-2006, 11:12 AM
The Bengals are a long shot at this point. The San Diego and Tampa games loom so large.That's the funny part. After the Baltimore loss folks were writing them off, but I kept on thinking that they had really only been beaten in one game, the other losses were close and could have gone either way. Imagine if they win those two winnable games, despite everything else, they would be tied for first with the Ravens. I do agree with the above post that 10-6 probably gets them in if the loss is to Indy since KC and Denver will probably both finish at 10-6 also. I actually think it is better for us if Baltimore beats KC next week. Sure, you may have to play all road games as the WC, but it is more likely we will make it in that way than winning the division at this point. Although, if we win out (highly unlikely, but possible considering Denver and Indy may have already played their best football), we could end up tied with the Ratbirds. Not sure where tiebreakers stand, though.

Dom Heffner
12-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Winning at Denver or Indy are both long shots. There's nothing this team has shown me that says they can beat those teams. Shutting out Cleveland isn't that big of a deal. The Ravens are not an offensive juggernaut.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but if this is where our hopes rest, then we are in trouble.

And Pittsburgh isn't going to be a cakewalk.

SunDeck
12-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Does a 10-win season get them in the playoffs? Tall order, winning 10 but you gotta figure they're gonna beat the Raiders...I'll take our chances against the Steelers...that means we have to beat either the Broncos or the Colts to get to 10 wins. But will that even be enough?

I don't think a team should be allowed in the playoffs unless they win at least 10.
Just sayin'.

max venable
12-02-2006, 01:10 PM
The Bengals are a long shot at this point. The San Diego and Tampa games loom so large.

And Atlanta...and Baltimore (first time around)...

guttle11
12-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Winning at Denver or Indy are both long shots. There's nothing this team has shown me that says they can beat those teams. Shutting out Cleveland isn't that big of a deal. The Ravens are not an offensive juggernaut.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but if this is where our hopes rest, then we are in trouble.

And Pittsburgh isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Denver is a major unknown right now due to the switch to Cutler. If he does well, they are Super Bowl contenders. If he's like Plummer, they won't make the playoffs.

If Cutler struggles, the Bengals probably are the better overall team. When the offense is going well, there's not a team in the NFL that will hold the Bengals under 17 points. (The only thing that kept them under 20 against Baltimore was poor RZ execution.i.e. poor play at times) If the D can slow the run, which they've been doing for a while now, they will beat the Broncos with a struggling QB.

If Cutler is Big Ben vol. 2, they're in serious trouble.

WMR
12-02-2006, 02:23 PM
If the Broncos can't run the ball effectively, I pray he's Big Ben volume 2. Big Ben absent an extremely strong running game is not a good quarterback.

traderumor
12-02-2006, 03:43 PM
The Ravens are not an offensive juggernaut.

Go look at the Ravens last five wins. Cudos to our D for their best performance of the year at exactly the right time. Makes me wonder if Marvin did not start getting more involved with the D after the SD debacle. That happened when things started getting ugly during the Frazier regime. If so, I think he has to consider becoming involved more going forward.

Dom Heffner
12-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Go look at the Ravens last five wins.

They were all against teams who gave up over 20 points a game to the entire league: Atlanta, New Orleans, Tennesee, Pittsburgh, and Cincy in game 1.

They've won with scores of 16, 15, and have lost with 3 and 7.

That's a third of their games where they've scored 16 points or less.

One of those teams they scored 16 on was Cleveland.

You are right: hats off to the Bengals "D"- for not allowing a pretty average offense to run over their average defense. :)

I'm liking their chances in Denver a little more as long as Cutler doesn't become Romo overnight. Denver only scores about 18 points a game, but then again, they haven't played the Bengals lol...

max venable
12-03-2006, 09:41 PM
You are right: hats off to the Bengals "D"- for not allowing a pretty average offense to run over their average defense. :)
That's a compliment. Shoot...I'd settle for average. :thumbup:

traderumor
12-03-2006, 10:02 PM
They were all against teams who gave up over 20 points a game to the entire league: Atlanta, New Orleans, Tennesee, Pittsburgh, and Cincy in game 1.

They've won with scores of 16, 15, and have lost with 3 and 7.

That's a third of their games where they've scored 16 points or less.

One of those teams they scored 16 on was Cleveland.

I'm liking their chances in Denver a little more as long as Cutler doesn't become Romo overnight. Denver only scores about 18 points a game, but then again, they haven't played the Bengals lol...

The Ravens scored in the 20s (usually mid to high) every game but this one since Billick took over as O coordinator. The D played well and I am not going to diminish that by holding a team that had been scoring in the 20s for 5 straight weeks to one late TD, and almost shut them out. Not to mention that is a major accomplishment to the same cast of characters that gave up 42 points in a half. Just giving credit where it is due.

TeamSelig
12-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Wild Card Teams:

Jets 7-5 (Buffalo, @ Minnesota, @Miami, Oakland)
Cincy 7-5 (Oakland, @ Indy, @ Denver, Pittsburgh)
Jacksonville 7-5 (Indy, @ Tenn, New England, @ KC)
Denver 7-4 (up 13-7 at half vs Seattle, @ SD, @ Arizona, Cincy, San Fran)
Kansas City 7-5 (Baltimore, @ SD, @ Oakland, Jacksonville)

Lets hope Denver loses tonight. At San Diego will be tough. @ Arizona & vs San Fran should be wins, and hopefully we can beat them. That would be our best case scenario putting Denver at 9 wins. I think they will end up with 11 wins.

- Jacksonville has a pretty tough schedule which puts them out of it IMO.
- Kansas City also has a hard last few games minus Oakland which also puts them out w/ only 9 wins
- Jets have it pretty easy
- Cincy has two winnable games, but also two tough games. Pray for a win against Denver or Indy

I think Denver has a very good chance of making it. The only other team would be the Jets with their easy schedule, but I don't think they are that great of a team so hopefully they lose two of their last 4 games.

The Bengals have a reasonable chance of making it, although it is definitely a long shot.

Dom Heffner
12-03-2006, 11:51 PM
I see 9-7 or 8-8.

Pittsburgh here scares me for some reason.

Cedric
12-04-2006, 12:44 AM
I see 9-7 or 8-8.

Pittsburgh here scares me for some reason.

So you see the Bengals losing the last three games of the year possibly?

I think that's highly unlikely.

MWM
12-04-2006, 12:46 AM
I just hope if they end up not in the playoffs it's by more than one win. If it turns out they miss it by one game, that roughing call on Justin Smith will cause a lot of Bengal fans to explode.

traderumor
12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
The remaining 4 games are all winnable. Indy is really struggling, and really have all year. Sure, Dallas is playing as good as anyone in the NFC, but Tennessee is a team they would normally beat. Denver also is a team on decline who has evidently played their best football in September. Oakland and Pittsburgh are home games a playoff team will win. If they don't, they are not a playoff team in every way.

Falls City Beer
12-04-2006, 02:47 PM
The remaining 4 games are all winnable. Indy is really struggling, and really have all year. Sure, Dallas is playing as good as anyone in the NFC, but Tennessee is a team they would normally beat. Denver also is a team on decline who has evidently played their best football in September. Oakland and Pittsburgh are home games a playoff team will win. If they don't, they are not a playoff team in every way.

You generally don't want to play teams that have no other stake in the game but to kick you between the wickets and ruin your party (Pitt).

traderumor
12-04-2006, 02:55 PM
You generally don't want to play teams that have no other stake in the game but to kick you between the wickets and ruin your party (Pitt).Like Cleveland circa 2004? Hopefully the boys learned their lesson from that one. It could also be that game could mean nothing for the Bengals if they win their next 3. The way the WC contenders are falling, they could clinch with 10-5.

Dom Heffner
12-05-2006, 02:11 PM
So you see the Bengals losing the last three games of the year possibly?

You see them winning two of them?

Against who?

traderumor
12-05-2006, 03:01 PM
You see them winning two of them?

Against who?Obviously, they should win both of their home games, although upsets are always possible, though highly unlikely. That leaves them to split Denver and Indy, with a loss to Denver being the only one that probably hurts their standing in the WC race.

wheels
12-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Heck, Indy could have a spot clinched by the time the Bengals play them.

I could see them resting some of their starters for that one.....Maybe.

I'm not impressed with Denver at all, but The Bengals never win at Mile High.

Let's hope Indy rests everyone.

Reds Freak
12-05-2006, 06:58 PM
I would think Indy would still be competing for home field advantage through the playoffs. Doubtful they will rest their starters...

Matt700wlw
12-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Indy is beatable. Their defense isn't much to write home about....and Carson is undefeated in a dome (2-0 :D)

Denver is beatable. Their defense has been exposed a bit and their offense is Ravens-like.

Obviously Oakland and Pittsburgh are beatable.

They just need to stay focused, stay agressive, and go one game at a time. They CANNOT overlook anybody. They control their own destiny now.

max venable
12-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Is it a reach to compare this year's Bengals to last year's Super Bowl champion Steelers? Both had three-game losing streaks. Both had two runs of three or more straight wins. And both were 7-5 after 12 games.

Matt700wlw
12-05-2006, 10:22 PM
Bengals control there own destiny. They are the 5th seed in a 6 seed playoff with 4 games to go (2 back of the Ravens)....if they don't make it, they have only themselves to blame. They don't NEED anybody's help.....but it is always accepted.

Dom Heffner
12-05-2006, 10:45 PM
split Denver and Indy

They'll be underdogs or even in both of those games.

upsets are always possible, though highly unlikely.

Then the Bengals are unlikely to win either.

For me, the Denver and Pittsburgh games are key, and they need both to get to ten wins, provided they beat Oakland.

I'm not holding my breath. That Steeler game is a toss up given the rivalry.

max venable
12-05-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm not holding my breath. That Steeler game is a toss up given the rivalry.

Agreed. Most Bengals fans are chalking that one up as a gimme. I'm sayin' not so fast my friend...

However, I think they've got momentum. I'm certainly willing the chalk the OAK game up as a win. They just need to figure out a way to win two of the last three.

Can Indy have already clinch by the time we play them? That could help us in that game.