PDA

View Full Version : Sign John Thompson

dunner13
12-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Hes a free agent, been injured but if hes healthy he would be a solid 3rd starter. If we could get him for one year at 4 mill, that would be worth it for sure. Rotoworld is reporting that the mariners are looking at him, so WAYNE WAKE UP AND SIGN HIM NOW.

Heath
12-01-2006, 05:05 PM
You know, when he had Patrick Ewing and Sleepy Floyd he knew how to win.

He's got veteran precense, you know.

Oh, you mean John Thomson. Oh, ok..sorry....

Patrick Bateman
12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
I'd take a look at him.

If he is healthy he would easily be our third best pitcher. He wouldn't be fabulous, but there's no reason he can't post an ERA around 4.00. He likely wouldn't cost too much either, so he could be a potential bargain.

jojo
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Hes a free agent, been injured but if hes healthy he would be a solid 3rd starter. If we could get him for one year at 4 mill, that would be worth it for sure. Rotoworld is reporting that the mariners are looking at him, so WAYNE WAKE UP AND SIGN HIM NOW.

Too late for Krivsky.....the M's pretty much have a handshake with an option for a second year.... this is exactly how you build the back end of you rotation-if youre smart.

xFIPs:
'04: 4.13
'05: 4.17
'06: 5.11

He's 33 and hasn't pitched full season since '04. But he's cheap AND only a 1 year deal in a market where Eaton just got a three year commitment for $24M. Thomson's a guy with ground ball tendencies (i.e. not gonna give up tons of dingers) and he has upside-if he can stay healthy you'll get a steady 175-200 innings and the option for year two. If he doesn't, you take the steady 100 innings and try to plug someone else in for the rest with the ability to cut him lose after the year.

To me the biggest insanity of this year is that there isn't a starter on the market who is getting interest that isn't asking for at least 4 years. That's insane. Thomson is value in comparison---i.e. the upside without the risk.

Thomson isn't going to get fans excited but he really could be a difference maker.

Falls City Beer
12-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Thomson's likely better than a kick in the manjunk. He would've helped somewhat if healthy. But that's a pretty big if anymore.

jojo
12-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Thomson's likely better than a kick in the manjunk. He would've helped somewhat if healthy. But that's a pretty big if anymore.

I think evaluating a player by focusing on what he can't do is fraught with peril as a philosophy that guides roster formulation.

100 innings with an xFIP of 4.20 or so is a valuable thing at the back end of a rotation. Focusing on the potential that you won't get a second 100 from him can cause you to undervalue what he can do. Besides, you might get 140 or 160 solid innings ate.

Like I said, fans wont rush out and buy season tickets but i'd take Thomson over Milton or Lohse in a heartbeat. Some other alternatives: 3 or 4 year commitments to the Meches of the world (aka have we learned nothing from signing Milton?).

Falls City Beer
12-01-2006, 06:17 PM
I think evaluating a player by focusing on what he can't do is fraught with peril as a philosophy that guides roster formulation.

100 innings with an xFIP of 4.20 or so is a valuable thing at the back end of a rotation. Focusing on the potential that you won't get a second 100 from him can cause you to undervalue what he can do. Besides, you might get 140 or 160 solid innings ate.

Like I said, fans wont rush out and buy season tickets but i'd take Thomson over Milton or Lohse in a heartbeat. Some other alternatives: 3 or 4 year commitments to the Meches of the world (aka have we learned nothing from signing Milton?).

I'm agreeing. He would've been a nice pickup. No disagreement whatsoever.

jojo
12-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm agreeing. He would've been a nice pickup. No disagreement whatsoever.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was implying something that you weren't saying. I was trying to clarify my position in case it seemed like I was overstating Thomson in the first post....

:beerme: