PDA

View Full Version : New Uniforms

PressBox
12-01-2006, 06:15 PM
I figure this deserves a thread separate from the Fanfest thread.

How do you all feel about the new uniforms?

I'll reserve judgment until I see more well-lit photographs and not just the images I saw from the webcast. I'm thankful that they have done away with the sleeveless look, and I won't miss the red pinstripes. The uniform once again makes Red the predominant color, and I like the idea behind the new home/away caps.

The silence was kind of painful when Phil Castellini asked for questions about new uniforms; but then again I'm not sure what kind of questions I would ask in the first place - I'm not a textiles expert!

So I'll be curious to hear others' thoughts...

Doc. Scott
12-01-2006, 06:19 PM
The MLB.com shop sent me an email about "new gear" with this here link:

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2566634

dsmith421
12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Like I said, I absolutely love them. The home uniforms, at least on the web feed, appear a little off-white, which seems very retro to me (almost looks like flannel). I also like the Mr. Red patch.

But the big thing for me is the new typography--I think it's very unique and looks sharp. I've long admired those teams that have instantly recognizable uniform typefaces (think of the Pirates, for example) and the alternate uniforms especially look good with the new numbers (the generic ones always seemed a little cheap to me, especially since we had a few players last year with really long last names).

I also love the all red caps. I hope we get on a home winning streak early and they start wearing the red caps on the road too, but I'm not greedy.

A nod to tradition with a new twist. Great success!

reds44
12-01-2006, 06:38 PM
The MLB.com shop sent me an email about "new gear" with this here link:

WOW thanks for the link!

Home:
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-3390904dt.jpg

Away:
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-3390944dt.jpg

Alternate Home:
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-3390949dt.jpg

I would have liked to seen the alternate home as the regular home, but all things considered I really like the new uniforms. Simple, and a bit retro.

redsrule2500
12-01-2006, 06:38 PM
sweet

WVRedsFan
12-01-2006, 06:39 PM
I hate them. All the red and white with no contrasting color seems to bleach them out. I hate the piping (looks too much like the Braves and Red Sox). Red should be teh primary color, but this is too much of a reach toward 1975-76.

JMO, of course, but I liked the vests. They were unique.

reds44
12-01-2006, 06:47 PM
What do the hats look like?

dsmith421
12-01-2006, 06:50 PM
What do the hats look like?

Plain red with the home and alternate, red with black bill for road.

reds44
12-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Plain red with the home and alternate, red with black bill for road.
Anybody have a picture?

EDIT:
I'll answe rmy own question.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/images/homepage/2006/promo_20061201_pm.gif

gm
12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
the piping (looks too much like the Braves and Red Sox)

That was my first impression, as well. But I 'spect they'll grow on me

Yachtzee
12-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Well, I like them a lot better than the previous uniforms. Not quite the classic simplicity of the 68-71 models, but they look good. I like the new font in the vertically arched letters on the road jersey. If anyone can get a picture of them with numbers, player name and sleeve patches, I'd appreciate it.

Blimpie
12-01-2006, 07:33 PM
From the looks of the home jerseys, they should be investing in 50 gallon drums of bleach.

smith288
12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Boooooring.

Henry Clay
12-01-2006, 08:27 PM
I like the home jersey and hat, but agree that the late sixties look would have been better. Nevertheless, I like the home uniform and even the road jersey. I don't understand, however, why a black bill is on the visitor cap. If the uniform is red and gray, it seems like the hat should be, as well. The black bill just looks like a holdover from the old uniform that kinda matches, but not really. I would have liked to see a grey and red had maybe with a black shadow around the letter. It's still an improvement. Anyway, my main wish is to see some better players IN the uniforms that better uniforms alone.

Yachtzee
12-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I like the home jersey and hat, but agree that the late sixties look would have been better. Nevertheless, I like the home uniform and even the road jersey. I don't understand, however, why a black bill is on the visitor cap. If the uniform is red and gray, it seems like the hat should be, as well. The black bill just looks like a holdover from the old uniform that kinda matches, but not really. I would have liked to see a grey and red had maybe with a black shadow around the letter. It's still an improvement. Anyway, my main wish is to see some better players IN the uniforms that better uniforms alone.

I could see a grey hat with a red bill for the road. Like the road hat here

http://www.baseballhalloffame.com/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1957_cincinnati.gif

remdog
12-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Based upon the pictures above: BLECH!

They are pretty bland and generic looking. Not much to like about the pin stripping (unless you're a Red Sox fan).

Are the road unis really that dark a grey? Hopefully it's my monitor or something. If the pants are the same color they'll look like they are playing in pajammas. The type face smacks of someone trying to convey something but not knowing what and succeeding at failing.

Personally, I love the vests and they've been synonymous with Cincinnati baseball for more than 50 years. Why discontinue that if you want to march down the heritage path?

All in all, they are even worse than I feared they'd be. I guess it's time to get some new owners so we can go through this again in two years. :p:

Rem

Always Red
12-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I like them a lot- here's a better view of the entire uni's:

http://www.mlb.com/cin/photogallery/year_2006/month_12/day_01/cf1749370.html

CrackerJack
12-01-2006, 09:16 PM
I like them a lot- here's a better view of the entire uni's:

Yes go to that link with the players modeling them. They grew on me quickly. Considering all the other things they could've done, I think they're pretty sharp, and do a nice job of blending the various eras of Reds baseball together. I was hoping for the old blue to be mixed in somewhere though, but that's ok I guess. Definitely an improvement - the lettering/font choice was key.

BuckWoody
12-01-2006, 09:39 PM
My favorite part is the old time Mr. Red on the sleeve of the home jerseys. I can't wait to go check them out tomorrow morning.

BoydsOfSummer
12-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Am I the only one that liked the early 90's hats? White with the red pinstripes.

jimbo
12-01-2006, 09:42 PM
I love them. The lettering makes them very unique in my opinion. They are much more traditional than what we've had for a while now. I'm just glad the black is gone from the road uniforms.

Always Red
12-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Am I the only one that liked the early 90's hats? White with the red pinstripes.

yes, you're the only one, Boyd, who liked the "Good Humor Man" hats! :laugh: :laugh:

westofyou
12-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I like the home uniform, it's clean and simple... classic.

The Reds have had red piping before.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1932_cincinnati.gif

RollyInRaleigh
12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Really like the home uniform. Simple and classic. Was not expecting the piping, but I like it. Kinda gives a new twist to an old style. Old yet new. The road uniform is OK, too, and I think that I will grow to like it. The alternate jersey? Mehhh. Colorful, I guess, but I have never been a big fan of the colored jerseys and I would have rather seen them use a version of the vest as an alternate, and I bet at some point, they do that.

The BP cap is just awful. Don't like it at all. Looks very minor league. Haven't got a good look at the BP jerseys although I am glad that they are red. Anyone see jackets? Would be interested to see what color they will be.

Overall, I like the look.

Heath
12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Nice uniforms. No doubt they will be unique to every other baseball team. They are sharp. Color me impressed.

corkedbat
12-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Blech! I really detest those. I liked the sleveless look and the pinstripes - I even prefer the black. Double-Blech!

pahster
12-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Anyone have a link to a pic of the new batting practice hats?

Joseph
12-01-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm a fan. Clean, sleek, simple.

George Foster
Anyone have a link to a pic of the new batting practice hats?

go the reds.com they have all the picks!

MartyFan
I dig em.

George Foster
12-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Nice uniforms. No doubt they will be unique to every other baseball team. They are sharp. Color me impressed.

I agree. They are great in my opinion. I like the font on the lettering a well. Very "classic" looking. The old fasion "Mr. Red" on the sleeve is the best part. Can't wait to buy one!:thumbup:

PressBox
12-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Now that several good pics are available at mlb.com and reds.com, I've decided that I really like these new unis. They are a clean and simple combination of tradition and modern style that look classy and timeless.

I especially like the new home uniforms. Pinstripes never really fit the Reds, I thought, and the sleeveless look wore off on me a few years ago. Good job to the folks who consulted on these designs.

pahster
12-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Wow, that bp hat is awful.

guttle11
12-01-2006, 11:41 PM
This thread is the essence of Redszone in a nutshell.

I love 'em.

vaticanplum
12-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Got home from RedsFest a bit ago. The new uniforms are absolutely beautiful. And I can be a tough critic. they're quite retro, but in a good way...I think these are uniforms that other teams will be jealous of. The distinguishing feature, as others have noted, really is the font. Greg Rhodes said that the font was created for the Reds and is totally unique in baseball.

The white home uniforms are the best I think -- very simple, white trim, red piping down the legs, so the lettering, the numbers and Mr. Red really stand out.

Denorfia got a huge round of applause by the way. Very funny.

Here are some pictures taken by yours truly, the worst photographer in the world. Coffey, who modeled the away uniform, ran down the runway (of course) so I didn't get a good picture of him. Please note Ryan freel, who makes even this uniform look sloppy. Awesome. I'm also throwing in a photo of one of the Reds cars, so you can see that the font has already been implemented all over the place.

I have many, many, many things to say about the rest of the fashion show but I'll save them for the general thread.

jimbo
12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Wow, that bp hat is awful.

Is there a pic of the bp hats somewhere? I hunted all over reds.com and couldn't find them.

smith288
12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Got home from RedsFest a bit ago. The new uniforms are absolutely beautiful. And I can be a tough critic. they're quite retro, but in a good way...I think these are uniforms that other teams will be jealous of. The distinguishing feature, as others have noted, really is the font. Greg Rhodes said that the font was created for the Reds and is totally unique in baseball.

The white home uniforms are the best I think -- very simple, white trim, red piping down the legs, so the lettering, the numbers and Mr. Red really stand out.

Denorfia got a huge round of applause by the way. Very funny.

Here are some pictures taken by yours truly, the worst photographer in the world. Coffey, who modeled the away uniform, ran down the runway (of course) so I didn't get a good picture of him. Please note Ryan freel, who makes even this uniform look sloppy. Awesome. I'm also throwing in a photo of one of the Reds cars, so you can see that the font has already been implemented all over the place.

I have many, many, many things to say about the rest of the fashion show but I'll save them for the general thread.

How am i supposed to update RedsZone's theme if I cant get me the typeset??

pahster
12-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Is there a pic of the bp hats somewhere? I hunted all over reds.com and couldn't find them.

Its on the Reds.com main page. Its on the thing that changes pics and links. Click the one with the uniforms and you'll see it on the right.

jimbo
12-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Its on the Reds.com main page. Its on the thing that changes pics and links. Click the one with the uniforms and you'll see it on the right.

Ok, thanks.....not sure how I kepted overlooking it. I'm not overly impressed with the bp hats, but I give a thumbs up to everything else.

Ltlabner
12-02-2006, 12:33 AM
I like them. Sleek, simple. A bit retro and a bit new. Well done.

Yachtzee
12-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Based on the photos from the link Always Red posted, the only drawback I've seen so far is that, with the new font on the backs of the jersey, the letters take up so much space that Denorfia's name uses up most of the back fo the jersey. Now imagine trying to fit a name like Hollandsworth or Spooneybarger on the back of that without it looking bad (talking about the name on the back of the jersey). Notice on the front, the vertical arching of "Cincinnati" makes it easy to fit the whole city name on the front. Why not use the same style for the names on the back? Well, other than because vertical arching takes more time for the equipment manager to sew on there, especially the way the Reds go through pitchers.

Cyclone792
12-02-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm loving the new uniforms. I was stuck near the back during the "fashion show" and didn't get a good angle as they were being unveiled, but once the appeared on merchandise racks I got a great view of them and loved what I was seeing.

Also, for those that hated the black, I don't think you'll be disappointed. The only black on the uniforms appear to be on the trim to give the logos/lettering/numbers a sharper look, and IMO it looks very, very nice.

edabbs44
12-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Really like the unis. I hated the black...total marketing gimmick. The new jerseys are no nonsense and very professional.

I've posted the link for the pics on the website. In Denorfia's first pic he looks straight out of Zoolander.

Yachtzee
12-02-2006, 01:08 AM
Really like the unis. I hated the black...total marketing gimmick. The new jerseys are no nonsense and very professional.

I've posted the link for the pics on the website. In Denorfia's first pic he looks straight out of Zoolander.

Did he go with "Blue Steel" or "Magnum?"

WVRedsFan
12-02-2006, 01:14 AM
One of the things I liked about the vest as it allowed more color to be seen on the Reds uniforms. As the new home jerseys look now, all you see is white. Kind of like a hospital uniform. The only red will be the socks which you don't see anymore and that gawd awful piping which makes them look like the Red Sox. Again, inside the wishbone C thre should have been a contrasting color to make it stand out. I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't like the home uniforms. The Reds uniforms over the last few years really stood out as something different, black or not, but these just look generic.

The away uniforms look nice, but nothing special. Once again, the Diamondbacks went to the designer and came away with a uniform that had color, style, and just looked like something I'd like to buy. I won't buy one of these. I have a 20-year old Bench jersey that looks much the same and I don't wear it because it is so bleached out.

Jpup
12-02-2006, 01:14 AM
I like them from what I can tell from pictures. They are a huge improvement.:thumbup:

Anyone know if authentic jerseys will be available before Christmas? Could someone ask on Saturday at Redsfest? Also, are the home hats the exact same as the "alternates" from last year?

remdog
12-02-2006, 01:58 AM
One of the things I liked about the vest as it allowed more color to be seen on the Reds uniforms. As the new home jerseys look now, all you see is white. Kind of like a hospital uniform. The only red will be the socks which you don't see anymore and that gawd awful piping which makes them look like the Red Sox. Again, inside the wishbone C thre should have been a contrasting color to make it stand out. I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't like the home uniforms. The Reds uniforms over the last few years really stood out as something different, black or not, but these just look generic.

The away uniforms look nice, but nothing special. Once again, the Diamondbacks went to the designer and came away with a uniform that had color, style, and just looked like something I'd like to buy. I won't buy one of these. I have a 20-year old Bench jersey that looks much the same and I don't wear it because it is so bleached out.

Now that I've seen more pictures of them I've changed my mind about them. I originally said that they were Blech! I was wrong. They're even worse than that----they are outright boring. Ugg!

I'm with you WVRedsFan.

BTW, there was a photo of a player with his back to the camera (I think it was Brandon Phillips) where it looked like you could see the red jersy showing through his white pants where it was tucked in. What's the weight of this fabric? It looks cheap based on that photo.

Rem

Ron Madden
12-02-2006, 03:19 AM
I like'em. :thumbup:

RedsBaron
12-02-2006, 03:31 AM
:thumbup: I like the new uniforms. IMO they are the best Reds uniforms in 35 years.

harangatang
12-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Am I the only one that liked the early 90's hats? White with the red pinstripes.LOL forgot about that. They were definitely different but in a good way.

harangatang
12-02-2006, 03:46 AM
I like'em. :thumbup:The patch matches your avatar, so I'm not surprised.

Heath
12-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Three more things I've noticed.

One - The backs of the White Uniforms look almost like the Astro back with the Large numbers and smaller name font.

Two - Is RedsZone going to have to change the "Reds Away" style again? :D

Three - they should turn this hat into the new Sunday Hat - IMO.

http://www.mickeysplace.com/images/hccin56.jpg

NC Reds
12-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I like the new look as well, especially the home unis. I was never a fan of black in the jerseys. It's nice to see the solid red cap as a staple again.

Now we just need to find some better players to fill them.

Chip R
12-02-2006, 09:52 AM
The red piping on the home uniforms doesn't do anything for me. It makes it look like a softball uniform. Other than that I like it. I don't love it but I like it. As for the road uniforms. I didn't see them at RedsFest but looking at them on the Enquirer's site, I love them. They look like the road unis from the mid 90s - which I really loved - without the red pinstripes. I'd prefer they wear the all red hat on the road too but, oh well.

Heath, I like your idea of that hat for the alternate jerseys.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2006, 12:07 PM
These new Unis are fantastic. Simple, sleek, and clean -- plus the new lettering makes them unmistakably Cincinnati.

I'll definately be buying one for the upcoming season!

RedsFan75
12-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Love em

Deepred05
12-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what is piping?

westofyou
12-02-2006, 12:52 PM

The color that runs down the seams.

Yachtzee
12-02-2006, 05:46 PM
These new Unis are fantastic. Simple, sleek, and clean -- plus the new lettering makes them unmistakably Cincinnati.

I'll definately be buying one for the upcoming season!

Looking at them again on the second day and I like them even more than yesterday. Love Old School Mister Red replacing the Running Man. Not that the Running Man was bad. He just looked better back in the 70s. During the pinstripe years, his colors would blend from afar and he would look like he was wearing pink pajamas. But I always liked Old School Mister Red to begin with. I already have a t-shirt and a hat with him on it.

I'll have to wait until I'm gainfully employed full-time before I can purchase one of those bad boys, but I'll get one some day. Right now I'll settle for a new hat.

guttle11
12-02-2006, 06:01 PM

Tubes that liquids travel through...but that's not important now.

PickOff
12-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Did he go with "Blue Steel" or "Magnum?"

Yes.

Nice unis, much better than the vests and pinstripes. I don't like the black billed cap, however.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Does anybody know where I can buy a new Reds home uni?

KittyDuran
12-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Does anybody know where I can buy a new Reds home uni?

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 09:43 PM

Thanks Kitty!

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2006, 09:46 PM
When do you think they'll come out with the new unis with names(Dunn?) on them?

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2006, 10:06 PM
When do you think they'll come out with the new unis with names(Dunn?) on them?

They had the "replica" new unis on sale at RedsFest -- new design and front work, but the same solid-red block lettering and numbering on the back that the old one-piece replica uniforms (vest + black sleeves) used last year.

I imagine that they haven't gone into production yet, otherwise I'd have expected them to be on sale there. You'd like to think they'd have them ready for Christmas.

Johnny Footstool
12-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Blandness wins out over style.

Snore.

vaticanplum
12-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Snore.

I actually think they're way stylish. Of all current MLB uniforms, they remind me the most (and only) of the Red Sox, and I have always liked the Red Sox uniforms.

Something about looking at a bunch of men on a ballfield wearing nothing but white with a bit of standout trim. No stripes, no excessive color, no different-colored sleeves...it's incredibly simplistic; it puts the focus on the game. And tall men (and baseball players tend to be tall) look stunning in all white.

westofyou
12-03-2006, 02:45 PM

Snore.

IMO Simplicity is the enhance of style... once folks thought the Astros rainbow uniforms were stylized.. I always thought they were crap.

Chip R
12-03-2006, 02:50 PM

Snore.

If style is some of the uniforms these other teams have come out with, I'm all for blandness. I don't want the uniforms to distract people from watching the team play. And I couldn't care less if they wore shorts and T shirts on the field as long as they won.

Johnny Footstool
12-03-2006, 02:53 PM
IMO Simplicity is the enhance of style... once folks thought the Astros rainbow uniforms were stylized.. I always thought they were crap.

The rainbow jerseys aren't really an apt comparison to the last batch of Reds uniforms.

Simplicity is nice, but there's also something to be said for originality. The pinstripe vests were both simple and original. These new unis have nothing special about them.

westofyou
12-03-2006, 03:01 PM
The pinstripe vests were both simple and original.
Original enough that the Jays, Rays and D backs all sported them, I found the vests tired myself. As well as the pinstripes, which will always belong to NY and the Giants & Yankees in my eyes.

I love plain white uniforms, like the Tigers have.

vaticanplum
12-03-2006, 03:03 PM
As well as the pinstripes, which will always belong to NY and the Giants & Yankees in my eyes.

White Sox? Their pinstripes are not completely traditional, admittedly, but they look fabulous and classic in them. I'm a huge fan of the White Sox's current uniforms.

westofyou
12-03-2006, 03:07 PM
White Sox? Their pinstripes are not completely traditional, admittedly, but they look fabulous and classic in them. I'm a huge fan of the White Sox's current uniforms.

Yeah the Sox are nice, they were the ones to bring black back to the fold. better then their red and white from the 70's

How about these?

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/images/nl_1916_newyork.gif

vaticanplum
12-03-2006, 03:11 PM
All I see is the tri (dual)-color socks. Love them. Anthony Reyes is a god among pitchers.

Always Red
12-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Me, too, woy, and I would have loved for the Reds to go back to the '69-71 uni's, but the Cards beat them to it, and I really do like Cards uni's.

Here's what Paul Lukas, of the Uni Watch Blog has to say: http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2006/12/02/red-alert-red-menace-red-hot-etc/

to sum: It's mostly all good, except for 1) the black-drop shadowing, especially of the nameplate ("stupid"), which clutters things up, and makes harder to read, and 2) the piping, which he finds "cluttering."

He might have a point with the nameplates; we'll just have to see how hard they are to read when we get to ballpark conditions. I disagree with him on the piping- it's a great touch, is not overdone. Without it, it would too much resemble the Cards uniform, which I consider to be exquisite simple beauty, but alas, they beat us to it (don't they always seem to do so?) and without the piping, the Reds would just be copying the look, some would say.

Johnny Footstool
12-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Original enough that the Jays, Rays and D backs all sported them, I found the vests tired myself. As well as the pinstripes, which will always belong to NY and the Giants & Yankees in my eyes.

The Reds were the second team (behind the Cubs) to ever use vests, and they brought back that look in 1993. All three teams you listed followed the trend and added the vests after that.

Did the Giants ever have pinstriped vests? I know the Yankees didn't.

Plain white uniforms? You've got to be kidding.

westofyou
12-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Plain white uniforms? You've got to be kidding.

Well not like a sheet, with logo, piping and name it isn't so plain.

Johnny Footstool
12-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Well not like a sheet, with logo, piping and name it isn't so plain.

I know, I've seen them. They're interesting in that they're unique, but I think they'd get boring real quickly.

KittyDuran
12-03-2006, 06:13 PM
I know, I've seen them. They're interesting in that they're unique, but I think they'd get boring real quickly.Not if the team is winning in them...:)

WVRedsFan
12-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Not if the team is winning in them...:)

I guess that sums it up. Some liek them others (like me) hate them, but if they win in them, I could care less what they wear.

Yachtzee
12-03-2006, 10:07 PM
The problem with red pinstripes on a white uniform is that, from a distance and in photographs, the red pinstripes tend to blend in with the white uniform to make it appear "pink." I'm not a fan of the color pink.

KittyDuran
12-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I guess that sums it up. Some liek them others (like me) hate them, but if they win in them, I could care less what they wear.I felt that way about the double-knits starting in 1972. I :luvu: the previous uniforms (and they are still my favorite of all time). But I accepted the other because of the history.

Falls City Beer
12-03-2006, 10:34 PM
The problem with red pinstripes on a white uniform is that, from a distance and in photographs, the red pinstripes tend to blend in with the white uniform to make it appear "pink." I'm not a fan of the color pink.

I remember how Dave Burba sweated like a wedge of fatback in those pin-striped caps of the mid-90s;

KittyDuran
12-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I think BP has the right attitude about the new unis...

http://reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061201&content_id=1749424&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Reds unveil new-look uniforms
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- So long, sleeveless jerseys.
Farewell, pinstripes. Goodbye to you too, black caps and helmets.

Welcome back, Mr. Redlegs.

Anticipated for months, the Reds unveiled their new uniforms for 2007 on Friday at Redsfest. It was the club's first major uniform change since 1999.

"These are sweet," Reds catcher David Ross said.

Cincinnati will feature three different uniforms styles -- for home games, road games and a red-colored alternate jersey top. The Reds front office, headed by chief executive officer Bob Castellini and senior director of business operations Phil Castellini consulted with Major League Baseball on the uniform renovations.

"It was about how do you wrap up the tradition of the franchise and get a look that will last you hopefully, a decade or two at the same time?" Phil Castellini said "We are not a team that plans on doing a new uniform every two years just to sell merchandise. We want to be like the Yankees and the Cards, where it's the same uniform year after year. We want the core base to be the same so that your kids, my kids and their kids remember the Reds with that uniform."

The home look will feature white uniforms with red trim on the front and red piping on the side of the legs. On the left sleeve is a logo of handlebar mustached "Mr. Redlegs" carrying a bat. It was an acknowledgement of a logo the Reds used during 1950s and 60s before the baseball headed "Mr. Red" was ushered in during the late 1960s.

As in past generations of their uniforms, the "wishbone C" with "Reds" remains prominent on the left front side. The uniform number is on the right side of the chest. An old-fashioned font was created that will be unique from all other Major League lettering styles.

Also returning is the all red cap with the familiar "wishbone C" logo on the front.

The new lettering font is also emblazoned on gray road uniforms with "Cincinnati" across the chest in the color red. The caps will be similar to what was worn at home from 1999-2006 -- red with a black bill.

The alternate home jersey is red with white trim and the "wishbone C" and "Reds" on the chest

For the first time since 1992, the Reds are going without the sleeveless vest jerseys. Also gone are pinstripes and the heavy leaning on the color black -- especially on the road uniforms.

Players offered their seals of approval.

"I like sleeves a lot better, personally. I never liked sleeveless," Ross said.

"I like the old-style look they've got going," pitcher Brandon Claussen said. "I'm a sleeves guy too because I'm not known for my big guns or anything."

Reds players showed off their new duds during a special fashion show for fans at Redsfest inside the Duke Energy Center. Brandon Phillips, Todd Coffey and Chris Denorfia served as models for each look. Coffey did his trademark sprint from the bullpen, but this time it was on the fashion catwalk.

"I like it. It's all right by me," Phillips said of the new jerseys while wearing the new alternate top. "The sleeveless look never bothered me. We should be happy to wear a uniform in Major League Baseball. As long as we go out and win in them, we should be all right. It could be a T-shirt. As long as we win, I don't care."

Just before the start of the uniform fashion show, Bob Castellini was enthusiastic about the final results.

"I like it. It's what we wanted," Castellini said. "We've got the players to buy into it. A lot of people -- from Johnny Bench to players and scouts and all the people that bleed red -- saw these uniforms and there was a consensus. There wasn't a lot of argument. It's what everybody came to. It's like revisiting the 'Big Red Machine' with a little more modern flare. We have the traditional with the 21st century."

Obviously, there is no data that indicates that wearing new uniforms equate to improvement in the win-loss column. But many felt the Reds new jerseys looked like winners.

"These are playoff uni's," Ross said.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Caveat Emperor
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
A lot of people -- from Johnny Bench to players and scouts and all the people that bleed red -- saw these uniforms and there was a consensus.

I'd actually be afraid if the Reds knew people who didn't bleed red.

Yachtzee
12-04-2006, 12:49 AM

What? Got a problem with Vulcans, Dr. McCoy? ;)

RollyInRaleigh
12-04-2006, 06:47 AM
I assume that they will continue to wear black shoes. Anyone hear anything about the color of the jackets and what they will look like?

macro
12-04-2006, 08:21 AM
I assume that they will continue to wear black shoes. Anyone hear anything about the color of the jackets and what they will look like?

I can't find anything on the Reds or any other team for 2007, Randy. MLB Shop is still showing last year's stuff. You'd think they'd want to get these things out for Christmas. Like you, I certainly hope they're mostly red, with only a little black. Last year's jacket would have been beautiful if the red and black had been reversed.

Danny Serafini
12-04-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't think they could've possibly done a worse job designing these new uniforms. The road ones are horrible, they are extremely bland, as are the home ones really, but at least the red piping adds a little something. I do like the red alternates, but they're not any different than the current ones. The lettering is terrible, it's difficult to read, especially with the drop shadow. I certainly will NOT be purchasing one of these abominations.

Heath
12-04-2006, 10:11 AM

This man says :wave:

http://www.corporateartists.com/images/tommylasorda.jpg